• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

jnWake

Multiple pipes can lead to the same location, though. You can overlap pipes.

So you place one pipe and put Mario through it, and place the exit, then go back to the main area and place another pipe and put Mario through it, then place the new exit on top of the old one.

Both main area pipes will make you come out the same sub area pipe. Going back into the sub area pipe will make you come back out of the first one you placed.

Cool! Thanks for that. Pipes can be devious then haha.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Excellent SMB3 level as well. Plays and looks official. Nice secrets opened with shells. No complaints!

Thanks! I like to hide a couple of fun secrets in each level. Makes replays and multiple attempts to clear the level a bit more fun.

Yuterald

I'll be streaming user-submitted levels again at about 10PM Eastern (approx. one hour from now). Post a code for a level and I'll stream it. One code per GAFfer. It can be for your stage or someone else's stage of your choice. Just quote this post with the code so that I can easily see it. First come, first served.

In the meantime, you could also try my stages (ordered from newest to oldest):

Neo Super Mario Bros. W1-1
EC81-0000-0059-CE01

Goomba's Spelunking Boots
F13E-0000-004C-86C9

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

Cursed Woods: 959B-0000-005E-A918. Much appreciated if you get the chance to play it.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Streaming the following levels live. Watch at either of these URLs:
http://gaming.youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live
http://youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live

If you join late, remember that you can rewind the stream at any time to catch what you missed. Also try picking a lower resolution/quality setting if the stream is lagging for you.

E3EA-0000-005F-2827 jnWake
76F3-0000-0061-F95A jholmes
D4C4-0000-0062-D0AA UncleSporky
2C26-0000-004E-288F Platy
EFE5-0000-0060-854A Mistle
5579-0000-0063-0770 Axiom
A41A-0000-0062-99F0 DoubleYou
0EE5-0000-0034-5018 Dimentios
3EC5-0000-005D-FFED Neki
D65C-0000-005F-2436 Dad
4F9C-0000-005F-2DFE aidan
F917-0000-005A-9237 DaBoss
8F5D-0000-0013-66A0 VandalD
1CDC-0000-005F-5EF7 Jims
C01F-0000-0059-2F20 Gotdatmoney
1409-0000-005F-1C03 kiryogi

Woot! Thanks!

Jims

Cool! Thanks for that. Pipes can be devious then haha.

You can also play mindgames with people if you make the sublevel the same background as the main level and then create an identical room. Seen a few random levels do some tricky things in ghost houses using that technique.

I guess if you're thinking about it, you'll know you're not in the same room (since it's a pipe) but when playing it, you kind of forget and then get surprised.

Exotoro

How do you unlock the Nintendo World Championship levels? 10 Mario Challenge doesn't seem to be giving me any new levels so it can't be tied to that, right?

Symtendo

Here are all my levels so far:

NNID: Supachipz

Standing Jump Only (F142-0000-0012-69A4)
Imagine a pit of Goombas, got it? Good, then add some flying goombas, Koopa Troopas and flying Koopatroopas. Then sprinkle in a few piranna plants. Pretty scary right? Now imagine that the only way across this hellacious pit of death is by jumping block to block with no run up... That's Standing Jump Only. Good Luck!

Shell Shocker (8A14-0000-0012-A097)
Mario and blocks don't mix. Mario plus Koopa Shell and blocks... now we're talking. Use the humble Koopa shell to force your way through this level, moving up, down and all around in Mario's quest for the flag pole.

Shell Shocker...Reloaded (131F-0000-0014-E4F7)
Frustrated with the original Shell Shocker course? Think of this as the 30th Anniversary Remake only instead of 30 years it's barely been 30 hours. Some minor tweaks in the remaster to improve flow and and some much needed stability to the course.

The Elimination Chamber (5E44-0000-001F-8C26)
Multiple chambers, multiple enemy types, one way through. Eliminate the enemies and exit each chamber as you make your way to the firey climax making sure to pick the right bonus box each time to decrease the chances of Mario Being Eliminated.

Pacmania (CD68-0000-0020-966F)
A Pacman inspired NSMB course, with coins aplenty, multiple routes and Koopa Troopers everywhere. Can you grab the invincibility stars and get rid of the Koopas to grab all the coins and make your escape from the maze? Post your top score to Miiverse to add an extra layer of competition.

Retro Pacmania (B2C5-0000-0021-CB33)
A demake of Pacmania removing the wall jump and upping the challenge, changing the way you approach the level. Pacmania wasn't Pacmanic enough for you? This course is much more authentic (If you know what I mean). Waka Waka.

Koopa to Koopa (23E0-0000-002C-C23D)
All Koopa, no floor. Take to the skies as you bounce from enemy to enemy in search of the castle in the sky. One wrong bounce and your falling back to the mushroom kingdom from whence you came.

The Three Tiers of Fear (DE04-0000-0036-C386)
You need to explore every inch of this course in order to maximise your chance of survival as you battle three progressively harder bosses. Jumping over and running past them might seem wise but it may come back to haunt you.

The Great Escape (2174-0000-003C-7AA7)
Finally you caught Bowser(s). Game over right? WRONG. The Wrecking Crew messed up the design of the Bowser encasing chamber and if you want to escape, your gonna have to take Bowser with you.

Be Sure to Ignore Door No.4 (B543-0000-0040-64EC)
Door No.1: You're done. Door No.2: 1Up's for you. Door No.3: You'll be filled with glee. But Door No.4: Be sure to ignore! Don't say I didn't warn you.

I'm in Love with a Koopa Troopa! (D848-0000-0045-EFDA)
He's so adorable with his shell, and his boots and his Wah-Wahs. I wub him so much and you will too by the time you reach the flag in this course. It's dangerous to go alone: Take This!

My Wife is a Monster (E8ED-0000-0056-8241)
"High above the Mushroom Kingdom" she said. "No enemies" she said. "One block platforms" she said. Try not to fall to your doom in this sadistic game of precise platforming.

Run like flip (Switch) (E004-0000-0057-5924)
You, me and a P-Switch. No platforms on this one either. You're gonna need that run button and to utilise all of Mario's skills in order to make it through this one before all you end up with is some worthless gold coins and a trip back to the start.

Super Mario 3B World (AA93-0000-005C-94A7)
Three Bowsers, three levels, one Goal: don't get you're butt burnt. As the screen scrolls those Bowser's will give chase and you have literally no where to run.

MouldyK

Excellent SMB3 level as well. Plays and looks official. Nice secrets opened with shells. No complaints!

Saw you play my Firebar Maze. Here's the feedback I can gather from your Miiverse Comment:

Too tough! I don't want to do the early easy part again and again.

• KooopaKid needs to stop sucking and man up.
  • Make Easy Sections instead of the start at the end for the sequel.
  • Make levels Thumb-suckingly easy for you.

Thanks for the Star though...and letting Team-Gaf down.

The other Gaffers which tried it did it...why can't you? ;)

Complete Ribbing Post
...or am I serious?

jholmes

How do you unlock the Nintendo World Championship levels? 10 Mario Challenge doesn't seem to be giving me any new levels so it can't be tied to that, right?

No, it is from 10 Mario Challenge. Are you sure you're not getting new levels? Have you died without completing some? You have to beat them all to unlock the NWC levels.

zhixson

I tried making a level that emulates Mario Bros, It's a little heavy handed, but I think it gets the job done for the time I had to make it. I suppose my real fear is that the ending won't be 100% clear. Hopefully it is.

Mario Bros.
F85F-0000-0063-4D80

WVW69iakfn4lKQD2jT

If this has been done before, then, uh, this is just my take on it. =)

Pinky

Banned
Kyzon,

Thanks for playing my level in your stream earlier today. You brought attention to a major design error I made, so I deleted the course, made some tweaks and reuploaded. Hope you give it another try. Glad you liked what you played though!

Anyway, here's the new Course ID:

Boo!!

07EB-0000-0063-67EC

LSm1cQ.jpg

ElRenoRaven

Wow. Finally got to spend a ton of time with the game tonight. Been glued to Destiny the last week. Decided to start small and work on getting basics and see how close I could recreate an original level. So figured why not go iconic with 1-1.

Gotta say I think I pretty much nailed it as best I can with the maker. Now to start experimenting and creating original levels.

9B9F-0000-0063-851A

Daouzin

Wow. Finally got to spend a ton of time with the game tonight. Been glued to Destiny the last week. Decided to start small and work on getting basics and see how close I could recreate an original level. So figured why not go iconic with 1-1.

Gotta say I think I pretty much nailed it as best I can with the maker. Now to start experimenting and creating original levels.

9B9F-0000-0063-851A

Cool, I also just picked it up today.

I'll check it out. Here's my first stage:
DEB9-0000-0063-4BAD

Streaming the following levels live. Watch at either of these URLs:
http://gaming.youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live
http://youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live

If you join late, remember that you can rewind the stream at any time to catch what you missed. Also try picking a lower resolution/quality setting if the stream is lagging for you.

Sorry my kitchen level didn't really come across that well. I didn't have enough real puzzles/challenges so you felt like you were missing something, when a lot of it was just visual stuff.

I should've tested the oven better, I didn't know that going in the back entrance would kill you almost instantly like that! But yeah, since it's an optional thing the intent is sort of, what did you expect to happen going directly into an oven. And with the fire flower I give you in there, it's easy to damage boost through, which is almost what I want people to do. "Shit, it's hot, get out!!"

Thanks for playing it anyway.

heyf00L

Kyzon,

Thanks for playing my level in your stream earlier today. You brought attention to a major design error I made, so I deleted the course, made some tweaks and reuploaded. Hope you give it another try. Glad you liked what you played though!

Anyway, here's the new Course ID:

Boo!!

07EB-0000-0063-67EC

LSm1cQ.jpg

I didn't play the first version, but this one has too many spots that you can't figure out your first try as well as a couple spots that are traps. Really the use of P switches is what I'm talking about, other than for the door, that was fine. And the ending as well.

Perhaps if you'd had some power ups other than at the beginning I wouldn't complain.

Neki

Thanks for streaming my level, appreciate that you liked it. You were right about the clutter at the beginning, I think caging them at the end would be better and give the same effect. It was like Rosalina was releasing stars from the ships. :p

kiryogi

Banned
Thanks for streaming my level, appreciate that you liked it. You were right about the clutter at the beginning, I think caging them at the end would be better and give the same effect. It was like Rosalina was releasing stars from the ships. :p

Your level looked so awesome, I cannot wait to try it after the stream.

Ranger X

Goodness gracious this game tempt me mightily to buy a WiiU. Well this and Xenoblade X to be precise but my, what a beauty this game appears to be :O

You should go ahead. Buying that console is also an automatic access to Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros U, New Luigi U, Captain Toad, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Nes Remix, Super Mario 3D world, Star Fox, etc...

jholmes

Goodness gracious this game tempt me mightily to buy a WiiU. Well this and Xenoblade X to be precise but my, what a beauty this game appears to be :O

I can't even imagine not owning this game. It's like, why play video games if you aren't going to play Super Mario Maker?

Might sound ridiculous but that's where I am with this right now.

ThatMattZ

Finished a "sequel" of sorts to my most popular level.

The Secrets of Cannoli Pass: 2244-0000-0063-B2FA

Hopefully it will provide a moderate challenge and has multiple different ways to attack the level and, of course, SECRETS!

Any feedback would be appreciated. If you guys like that level check out my others - so far my level : The Secrets of Airship Z - ECAE-0000-002E-BAC8 -seems to be my most popular

ElRenoRaven

I can't even imagine not owning this game. It's like, why play video games if you aren't going to play Super Mario Maker?

Might sound ridiculous but that's where I am with this right now.

Yup and hell if you are a Mario fan you have an endless supply of levels now. Granted half of them are self playing levels but still. It's like a Mario fans dream come true. Yet even on top of that if you've ever had a Mario level you'd have loved to see made you can now do that.

I wish though they had included a Palette for SMB 2 though. Granted it played so differently. Still would be interesting and fun to play with some of those enemies and that palette.

Dragmire

Mario City: Rampage - 336B-0000-0063-BEA4

WVW69iamhaU-jhttPw

Inspired by the arcade game, Rampage. Mushroom City is under attack by massive monsters. Enter the factory and other buildings. Moderately hard.

Pinky

Banned
I didn't play the first version, but this one has too many spots that you can't figure out your first try as well as a couple spots that are traps. Really the use of P switches is what I'm talking about, other than for the door, that was fine. And the ending as well.

Perhaps if you'd had some power ups other than at the beginning I wouldn't complain.

Thanks for your input!

You do bring up some good points.
I believe the room that you mainly speak of is the one where Mario drops out of the pipe and lands on the moving skull platform. Collect all the coins out from underneath the exit pipe on the ceiling and you're trapped/dead. Nothing to stand on in order to go up into the pipe. I guess I made the room too wide, keeping the P switch too far out of view.

All in all, I did intend for the course to not be straightforward. I wanted to make it a little more interesting while keeping players on their toes. ;)

rawk

Finished a "sequel" of sorts to my most popular level.

The Secrets of Cannoli Pass: 2244-0000-0063-B2FA

Hopefully it will provide a moderate challenge and has multiple different ways to attack the level and, of course, SECRETS!

Any feedback would be appreciated. If you guys like that level check out my others - so far my level : The Secrets of Airship Z - ECAE-0000-002E-BAC8 -seems to be my most popular

Played it. Pretty fun, if a bit cramped? Took me 3 tries. Starred!

rawk

Mario City: Rampage - 336B-0000-0063-BEA4

WVW69iamhaU-jhttPw

Inspired by the arcade game, Rampage. Mushroom City is under attack by massive monsters. Enter the factory and other buildings. Moderately hard.

Got lost in the pipe and door maze, but the level looks great so far.

Ferrio

Banned
Anyone care to try a new level I just came up with? I'm curious if it's as evil as I think it is.

World's Most Annoying Level

KfiNLb3.png

If you make Mario-ass Mario levels, quote this post and give me your level IDs. I just want to play the normal, Nintendo Mario game-like levels people are making.

I think my problem with 100 Mario Expert is that I find myself having to skip challenging levels I actually enjoy because I've lost too many lives to them. I think the mode would be a lot better if it only required you to beat 8 stages or you had more lives.

jholmes

If you make Mario-ass Mario levels, quote this post and give me your level IDs. I just want to play the normal, Nintendo Mario game-like levels people are making.

Try Bounce on Big Bob-omb! (76F3-0000-0061-F95A) and look on my profile after for the rest. I'd say almost all my levels are like that except for Shell Shock and Magicant.

KingBroly

Banned
Did another runthrough of Expert. Man, when you find good levels on this difficulty it's fun as hell, but there are so many overbearing levels that just disgust you. For my troubles, I unlocked yet ANOTHER Animal Crossing character that I think is going to be an amiibo, though I'm not sure.

I wish it'd unlock Gold and Silver Mario already so I don't get tempted to open them and scan them in, saving me a couple of Expert runs.

I've played 738~ levels so far, and I don't feel like I've had my fill of Mario stages yet,, which is pretty crazy since 100% in NSMB2, NSMBU and SM3DW made me not want to play Mario again for a while.

Always makes me happy to hear folks completing or nearly completing it. Any thoughts? :eek:

It's tough especially because the arrows all point in the wrong direction so going opposite can still led to the wrong direction a lot of the time. I didn't find much of it too unfair except the boo circle right at the beginning. Good use of amiibo suits. I saw the flag pole but I'm not sure if I had to bomb my way to the pipe to reach it (I hope not cause that shit is ultra tedious) or the ice platforms and the fire bar had something I missed. The laughing attached to the spring is the beginning is really obnoxious. The platform in gin the level is great though and the puzzles and the troll rooms were fun but not infuriating.

jnWake

Do you think you're good at Super Mario World? Are you even good at spin bouncing? You want to be the next PangaeaPanga?

Then you're just in time for the third installment in the Mystery House series!

WVW69iam9RcTk5pFgA

Mystery House Spin Bounce: 2355-0000-0063-E9D7.

In Mystery House Spin Bounce you must clear challenges involving spin jumping over spinies. These are quick challenges meant to be cleared in the time a P-Switch is activated.

Mystery House Spin Bounce, unlike it's predecessors, utilizes the full power of Warp Pipe™ to bypass the 4 doors limit and has 8 challenges for you to clear! While the first 4 only feature spinies, the second set also features another hazard...

WVW69iam-VIq-KyOoM

The last couple of challenges are actually pretty tough IMO so, if you try this (and please do!), good luck! The level is challenging but I think it's pretty fun as it's fast paced.

If you liked this level, please check out the previous Mystery Houses (which are a tad easier than this one):
Mystery House Bounce: 15EA-0000-0048-B42C.
Mystery House Surf: E3B1-0000-004D-050B.

EDIT: Lol literally end of the page.

Depends on how Mario you want them. I make linear levels with platforming but they are also harder than your typical Mario levels and have enemy placement you wouldn't see in an actual Mario game.

I make Mario-ass Mario levels.

YUjkqkd.jpg

Chain Chomp Zoo
5AE2-0000-0030-E6D6

LspLzlP.jpg

Spiny Mine Glacier
C366-0000-0051-9CCD

CRtQ0AF.jpg

Shell Dome
E489-0000-0046-D2E4

yLFmwIy.jpg

Fireproof Factory
FA27-0000-0061-B566

Fireproof Factory might be a little out there though.

EDIT: I think I might rely on the "Start in the overworld, immediately go into sub-level, level takes place entirely in sub-level" style too much. At least for SMB 3 it feels so wrong to end a level anywhere but the overworld though.

ohNOitsRO

Repost of complete utter shame..

My 'Gravity Manor' level continues to surprise me! People seem to really have enjoyed it and I am ecstatic about that! 25 stars of 49 plays

Gravity Manor
ID: C2FC-0000-0059-4C5C

I also retweaked my vine scroller saw dodging level! It's alot, ALOT more friendly now! Would love to hear new feedback!

Gripvine Canyon
ID: 6816-0000-005A-7BC3
Vine scroller saw dodging game of grip!

Castle Siege
ID: 4420-0000-005A-9A0D
Reuploaded for a 4th and final time. Tweaked the helmet part to better reflect having to use the helmet.

Yoshi's Origins
ID: 32D4-0000-0063-F8C3
Completely reworked to introduce the mechanics of a big part of the stage early on. Changed the auto rail section to have platforming. Overall I feel way way better about it this time around.

The Path Less Taken
ID: DB70-0000-004B-6314
My first ghost house, more of a traditional ghost house with right/wrong paths

One Screen Wonder
ID: 359C-0000-004B-D959
Inspired by GAF essentially with my own little twists

Beetle Skyway
ID: 3089-0000-005B-295B
Ride the Beetle Skyway on the Aerial Highway

Neo Super Mario Bros. W1-1
EC81-0000-0059-CE01

Played Neo 1-1. True to its name, it felt like an alternate 1-1; it was really enjoyable! The secret areas were well done.

Mario's Pro Shell Skater
2C26-0000-004E-288F

This one's creative. I loved the "secret tape" homage. Although, it felt a bit unfair jumping from the shell to that last blue skull ride. I'd like to see more like this with a few more challenges.

Thanks!

Koopa Heights - 4F9C-0000-005F-2DFE

I really enjoyed this one. It was fun using the koopa shells; doing so wasn't unfair or too convoluted. It had a nice flow switching between the open, color-block areas and the fast, risky jumps. Overall, it felt pretty similar to a real Mario level.

Also, thanks for the Miiverse comment!

The Hopsichord

5579-0000-0063-0770

This level is so creative visually. I loved how the inside of the hopsichord looked, and I enjoyed the almost leasurely adventure through it. I didn't catch that we were damaging it as we went on; I thought I was going through three different hopsichords. That's partially a fault of the preview of the full level before I started playing it, but I do think you could make it more obvious that it's the same hopsichord over and over with the visual cues. I don't have any suggestions on that end, but if you want, PM me and I'll think about it more.

Well, two of mine at least are pretty close, I feel:

Thwomp Plains
E725-0000-0062-EBB8

Mt. Helmet
913B-0000-0034-F709

rawk

Reposting a level I posted earlier today, for the night people. It's based on The Empire Strikes Back. I'm hoping it gets popular enough that I can see some cool Empire-based Miiverse drawings:

WVW69iajNn8gJIgkFZ

Stario Wars: M-Pire Strikes Back

CB51-0000-005E-DB75

Top Bottom