• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

jnWake

Played some levels!

WarioWare, Inc. 2 has just gone live!

WVW69iairv0FQsPY3Y

Course ID - BAED-0000-0062-B3BB

Didn't try the first one so this is new for me. The music is an awesome touch. I'll have to study how you did it. Ah, small challenges. It's a bit similar to my Mystery House levels actually, only this challenges are shorter and more WarioWare like. Woops, screwed up in the one with the shell... Very cool level! I can see why the first one was so popular. The challenges are very simple but entertaining, although the shell one is kind of hard to get on the first try.

Carnivore Hollows

Short and easy, but I like the outcome and the theme. Give it a try.
You can probably outrun the boss or hide in the pits, however, less experienced players may find it difficult. Dunno.

ID: 1CAE-0000-0062-93FD

I always like when levels have decorative vines. For the most part, the chain chomps are pretty easy to avoid, which is nice since I dislike them so much haha. Only had trouble in the pit with 2 chomps. Even the giant one is easy to avoid. The boss is also pretty easy haha. Can't you shoot him from a red missile launcher to be faster or something? Fun level. I really like the aesthetics, from the vines to the odd shapes of the cavern.

My latest creation!

f1AtLwo.png

Mario finds himself inside an enormous kitchen!

JsRa0HN.jpg

What horrors lurk inside the fridge? Who left these pots on the stove with the burners on? Are there any hidden 1-ups (probably)? Find answers to these questions and more in Kitchen Capers!

Preview looks cool, kind of like those Rayman levels with a kitchen theme. Ignoring the theme, this feels very Mario-esque in design and difficulty. I like that there are small hidden areas with coins and power-ups. The inside of the oven (I guess?) is pretty hard though. The thing dropping ice cubes is super cool too. Also the decoration in the ending is great. Love the looks of this!

octopiggy

Didn't try the first one so this is new for me. The music is an awesome touch. I'll have to study how you did it. Ah, small challenges. It's a bit similar to my Mystery House levels actually, only this challenges are shorter and more WarioWare like. Woops, screwed up in the one with the shell... Very cool level! I can see why the first one was so popular. The challenges are very simple but entertaining, although the shell one is kind of hard to get on the first try.

Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the impressions. The shell one is actually a sequel to a micro-game in the first level so I was assuming most people would get it quite quickly. The one in the first WarioWare level was a bit more lenient but I thought it would be a bit more intense if the shell was right behind you.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'll be streaming user-submitted levels again at about 10PM Eastern (approx. one hour from now). Post a code for a level and I'll stream it. One code per GAFfer. It can be for your stage or someone else's stage of your choice. Just quote this post with the code so that I can easily see it. First come, first served.

In the meantime, you could also try my stages (ordered from newest to oldest):

Neo Super Mario Bros. W1-1
EC81-0000-0059-CE01

Goomba's Spelunking Boots
F13E-0000-004C-86C9

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

Preview looks cool, kind of like those Rayman levels with a kitchen theme. Ignoring the theme, this feels very Mario-esque in design and difficulty. I like that there are small hidden areas with coins and power-ups. The inside of the oven (I guess?) is pretty hard though. The thing dropping ice cubes is super cool too. Also the decoration in the ending is great. Love the looks of this!

Thanks for the mini-review!

The thing dropping ice cubes is supposed to be a sink dripping water. :p And...I guess the sink is full or something because it splashes onto the edge and drips right onto the floor.

The oven is kind of a gotcha, it's completely optional, and I made sure you can "nope" the heck out of there with a running jump if you're big Mario. The idea is, why the heck did you think going into the stove was a good idea?! :p

I hope people don't think it's too much of a dirty trick. I probably should've lowered the pipe to get back out by one more tile...

jnWake

I'll be streaming user-submitted levels again at about 10PM Eastern (approx. one hour from now). Post a code for a level and I'll stream it. One code per GAFfer. It can be for your stage or someone else's stage of your choice. Just quote this post with the code so that I can easily see it. First come, first served.

EC81-0000-0059-CE01

F13E-0000-004C-86C9

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

If you tried this one it'd be cool:

E3EA-0000-005F-2827.

Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the impressions. The shell one is actually a sequel to a micro-game in the first level so I was assuming most people would get it quite quickly. The one in the first WarioWare level was a bit more lenient but I thought it would be a bit more intense if the shell was right behind you.

Ah, I suspected it may have been something from the first level.

Thanks for the mini-review!

The thing dropping ice cubes is supposed to be a sink dripping water. :p And...I guess the sink is full or something because it splashes onto the edge and drips right onto the floor.

The oven is kind of a gotcha, it's completely optional, and I made sure you can "nope" the heck out of there with a running jump if you're big Mario. The idea is, why the heck did you think going into the stove was a good idea?! :p

I hope people don't think it's too much of a dirty trick. I probably should've lowered the pipe to get back out by one more tile...

I noticed it was optional, but I wanted to see what was inside anyway. I actually only powered through it by taking the hits haha. There is a 1-up to the left of the oven's exit though!

jholmes

EC81-0000-0059-CE01

F13E-0000-004C-86C9

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

How about the KoopaKid-approved Bounce on Big Bob-omb?

WVW69iagrr0dDRz2WY

76F3-0000-0061-F95A

EC81-0000-0059-CE01

F13E-0000-004C-86C9

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

It'd be cool if you could stream the one I just made above, if you don't mind. I love that you post your recordings so I can share the levels with my friends who don't have the game!

f1AtLwo.png

(For ease of copy/paste, that's D4C4-0000-0062-D0AA)

I'll be sure to try your levels too!

I got a chance to try out Mario Maker at my friends house. I tried to make a really hard course for only having it in my hands for like 3 minutes, but I think it came out pretty neat.

After my friend beat it so we could upload it, he called it "fruit".

So ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: fruit

4194-0000-0050-EF1A

People going crazy af for fruit. Can't stop the fruit. fruit is love. fruit is life.

Platy

EC81-0000-0059-CE01

F13E-0000-004C-86C9

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

please

bYdgrtD.png

o1rgfn6.jpg

Mario's Pro Shell Skater
2C26-0000-004E-288F

Mistle

EC81-0000-0059-CE01

F13E-0000-004C-86C9

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193
EFE5-0000-0060-854A

Proper level this time :p

Axiom

EC81-0000-0059-CE01

F13E-0000-004C-86C9

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

I have updated The Hopsichord based on the feedback both here and in Miiverse. Thank you everyone! Now to get cracking on playing some more here so I can provide some horribly underqualified feedback myself.

5579-0000-0063-0770

I didn't actually want the level to be difficult at all, just an adventure where you have to be a little more careful as you cause more damage. So I've reconfigured things to provide more leeway or outright changed the tricky parts. I've also removed the vine block that could render the level impossible.

Also of note is the fact there are 4 variations of the Hopsichord but you'll only see three through regular play.

6H3n2pS.gif

DoubleYou

EC81-0000-0059-CE01

F13E-0000-004C-86C9

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

Fortress of Choices
ID: A41A-0000-0062-99F0

:)

Dimentios

EC81-0000-0059-CE01

F13E-0000-004C-86C9

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

Awww, thank you. :3

Golden Fortress

Inside of the legendary golden fortress. Thwomps and Koopa Troopas are guarding this quiteful place

ID: 0EE5-0000-0034-5018

Thanks for your critics, guys. Will go to bed now (03:15 am here) and play further levels of you tomorrow!

Neki

EC81-0000-0059-CE01

F13E-0000-004C-86C9

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

3EC5-0000-005D-FFED

Pretty easy level but thematically I think it's cool lol.

Neoweee

You're pretty much always bouncing on enemies to the right in a linear fassion. Exactly where is it unclear where you're supposed to go?

As for synchronization, I just replayed each segment multiple times with different timing, and I have concluded that only in one dry bones sequence is it possible for different timing to affect anything in a major way. You're going to have to be more specific.

Others, feel free to chime in here.

1) The dry bones section potential sync issue.

2) The stars also have a potential sync issue.

3) When you get a star, you basically have to just wait it out, which is annoying. That's a perfect reason for somebody to just skip or quit the level.

4) It's just a really long level, and I don't want to replay the boring caterpillar part to get back to where I died.

Overall, it is a slow, repetitive level with a decent number of frustrations. Most players will give up, unless they're intent on playing through that specific level. It's not bad in the way that most Expert levels are, but there are too many issues that will get players to skip or give up.

Dad

EC81-0000-0059-CE01

F13E-0000-004C-86C9

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

The House of Fire and Ice
D65C-0000-005F-2436

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Another brand new level done! This one is an ode to the collectathon, especially Rare classics like Banjo-Kazooie! Scattered through the level are 10 1-Up Mushrooms in Note Blocks and 100 coins to collect. But be warned--you'll have to face off against Bowser to earn the last coin!

Don't worry, it's nowhere near DK64 levels of collecting. Honest.

dOivOku.png

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

EC81-0000-0059-CE01

F13E-0000-004C-86C9

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

Thanks!

Koopa Heights - 4F9C-0000-005F-2DFE

DaBoss

EC81-0000-0059-CE01

F13E-0000-004C-86C9

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193
Mysterious Mansion

F917-0000-005A-9237

Thanks in advance.

dickroach

has anyone made their own full Mario game yet?
like, you click on their user profile and they straight up have 1-1, 1-2, etc. with a substantial amount of levels?

edit: or are there any users who just have a bunch of levels (that aren't piss-you-off hard) that I could sit down, chill, and play for an hour or so?

VandalD

EC81-0000-0059-CE01

F13E-0000-004C-86C9

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193
Oh, nifty. I need to try Neo. Here's one for you.

Prescription for the Castle
8F5D-0000-0013-66A0

Edit: You put a lot of thought into your 1-1 entry. Well done.

jnWake

I'm a bit noobish with pipes. Can I use a pipe to warp inside one area? I mean, not warp to the sublevel, but inside the main level for example.

Sixfortyfive

I loathe the Skinny Mushroom. Nothing like building an SMB1 stage with meticulous planning, only to have Skinny Mario break the whole thing. :mad:

like, you click on their user profile and they straight up have 1-1, 1-2, etc. with a substantial amount of levels?

I really want to do this, actually. A full 32 level game.

Problem is that it'd take an eternity and I'm prone to writer's block. I'd probably need to collaborate with others.

jholmes

edit: or are there any users who just have a bunch of levels (that aren't piss-you-off hard) that I could sit down, chill, and play for an hour or so?

I can almost fill three worlds. To have 32 levels at this point would really be something!

I try to go with a medium difficulty in mine so if you wanna give 'em a spin, try my new stage (it's linked above and earlier) and check out the rest on my profile after if you like.

Jims

*waves hand in the air excitedly*

Touch Fungi, Get Dizzy
ID: 1CDC-0000-005F-5EF7

It was designed to be silly rather than super challenging, so you'll be able to quickly get through it in your rotation of stages.

Gsnap

I'm working on it. Gonna take a really long time though. But I do have a few enjoyable levels you can play. Especially if you wanna relax and play.

D176-0000-0048-CA3C

9391-0000-0046-3111

Ah, thanks. Guess I can only trick people with doors then!

Multiple pipes can lead to the same location, though. You can overlap pipes.

So you place one pipe and put Mario through it, and place the exit, then go back to the main area and place another pipe and put Mario through it, then place the new exit on top of the old one.

Both main area pipes will make you come out the same sub area pipe. Going back into the sub area pipe will make you come back out of the first one you placed.

Probably not the best way to share these, but I'd love some feedback on my levels (and stars of course). How do most of you grab the good images of your courses? Upload to miiverse then grab off the web?

I'm up to about 30 stars without promoting anything online, I'd love to get to 50 to up my limit. I've got a couple awesome courses waiting in the wings and would rather not delete anything else I've already put online.

In this level the P-Switch is your enemy, unless you like alternate routes that are more challenging.

A lot of people struggled finishing this one, I think there's a couple good gimmicks and a fair, but fun challenge. Of course I designed it.

Oh, and give me some stars and I'll do my best to return the favour when I play next.

EC81-0000-0059-CE01

F13E-0000-004C-86C9

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

Ice Bridge To Eternity
C01F-0000-0059-2F20

I wanna play gaf levels so bad :(
So sad I'm busy tonight.

I've received the most good feedback on this one, some great branching paths and if you miss the star route it returns to save the day if you're patient. That was actually a very pleasant surprise when designing this level.

kiryogi

Banned

EC81-0000-0059-CE01

F13E-0000-004C-86C9

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

Escape Boo's Haunted Lab!
1409-0000-005F-1C03

Yes its hard! Will this be the GAFplz of the night!?! Remember, arrows are misleading.

Neki

EC81-0000-0059-CE01

F13E-0000-004C-86C9

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193

I beat board the airship. Holy schomolers that level was hard. The only part I thought was unfair was the spiny cannon, getting three of those was basically lose health and damage boost to the pipe. I think the boss level at the end wasn't needed but overall the most fair hard level I've played

Sixfortyfive

I beat board the airship. Holy schomolers that level was hard. The only part I thought was unfair was the spiny cannon, getting three of those was basically lose health and damage boost to the pipe. I think the boss level at the end wasn't needed but overall the most fair hard level I've played

The one part that sticks out to me for a re-do is the pipe to enter the ship. Probably shouldn't have made that platform the way I did.

It's definitely a strong candidate for checkpoints, too. :-/

Sixfortyfive

Streaming the following levels live. Watch at either of these URLs:
http://gaming.youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live
http://youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live

If you join late, remember that you can rewind the stream at any time to catch what you missed. Also try picking a lower resolution/quality setting if the stream is lagging for you.

E3EA-0000-005F-2827 jnWake
76F3-0000-0061-F95A jholmes
D4C4-0000-0062-D0AA UncleSporky
2C26-0000-004E-288F Platy
EFE5-0000-0060-854A Mistle
5579-0000-0063-0770 Axiom
A41A-0000-0062-99F0 DoubleYou
0EE5-0000-0034-5018 Dimentios
3EC5-0000-005D-FFED Neki
D65C-0000-005F-2436 Dad
4F9C-0000-005F-2DFE aidan
F917-0000-005A-9237 DaBoss