• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

KeRaSh

I gave feedback last night to others but no-one replied on mine :(

So reposting for better luck!

dwz3rfq.jpg

I will give feedback back to anyone commenting on mine.

Will give it a shot tonight! Check out my newest creation if you can:
http://www.mariomakerhub.com/levels/866/trials-of-osiris

I've held off on posting my most recent two stages because really I need to get playing some more from here and giving feedback first, I have like a mental backlog of stages I plan to go tackle.

But since I am sitting on these two right now I'll drop them in anyway.

Grow With The Flow
(DE34-0000-0063-6259)

WVW69iakvOkMBDq9yj

I feel like my best stuff comes from using the SMB3 tileset and focusing on one particular stage gimmick.
Taking the moving beanstalk block idea that popped up early in 10 mario challenge and expanding it to a whole stage.

Heavenly Hideaway
(B385-0000-005E-CE21)

WVW69iaWTtgt39JkTZ

A pretty easy one here I'm thinking, mystery mushroom galore so the main challenge comes from not plummeting down the ever present bottomless pit. That said I don't think there's anything particularly taxing in here, I just wanted to make a stage of floating islands.

I'm kind of tired of really difficult levels with precision platforming and insane enemy placement, so I made an SMB3 ghost house that I think is just a really enjoyable experience. I also tried to make the art and design somewhat meaningful and have purpose. I'm not sure if that shows through, but there is some intention there. Anyway, check it out!

Journey through the Mansion
ID: F430-0000-0063-18B7

NotLiquid

You know when I see shit like Panga's levels in Mario Maker I can't help but feel amused by the droves of Lunar Magic obsessives who were cynical and jaded about the stuff you can do in Mario Maker.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
They have been called "Super Stars" or just "Stars" since forever now. The last time "Starman" was mentioned was probably the SMB3 manual (just like "Kuribo's Shoe")?

Stars have such inconsistent purpose throughout the franchise that I reflexively refer to an invincibility-granting star as a Starman. They're so different in function from a 3D Mario Power Star that it kind of makes sense to call them by a different name.

Wait, what is Kuribo's Shoe supposed to be called?

Kuribo is just the Japanese name for Goomba.

The revised version of SMB3 for the NES even corrected this oversight and calls it Goomba's Shoe in-game.

MrBadger

Without getting really tricky, the best you can do is put Bowser Jr. in a Clown Copter, then put a pipe or path up high that you pretty much have to get the Copter to reach. But then, that's what almost everyone else does. Almost, anyway.

Jr. outside of the Copter actually acts a bit like the original Koopa Kids, but it's difficult to actually require the player to fight them, when they can just hop over and continue on.

It is very weird they included a mini-boss and a boss, both of which can be upgraded, but no way that their defeat impacts anything beyond a clearer path to the end of the stage.

You can make situations where it would be in the player's best interest to kill the boss, like have the exit of the room be a layer of donut platforms you have to stand and wait on, or have the exit of the room be a moving spring that you have to line up with a pipe on the ceiling. Simple stuff that would still be easier to pull off if you get Bowser Jr out of the way

correojon

I watched Gamexplain´s video and read MarioMakerHub´s guide on object limits but still couldn´t find any information on track limit, which of course was my main concern. However, in Gamexplain´s video tracks appeared shadowed so they have a limit...If no one knows what this limit is I´ll test it myself when I´m at home.

KooopaKid

Banned
I played your level and beat it... After quite a few tries. It might be harder than you think.

Loads of nice touches with the layout, like ice blocks inside stone blocks which looks nice. There's lots of good ideas in there. Maybe enough ideas to make several levels from. Good iterations on ideas as it progresses too. The thwomps on springs are pretty nefarious.

It would really benefit from having a half way point, because there's a bit of trial and error in the level.
The ending sequence is really satisfying.

I'm going to upload one of my levels soon. Mine are for beginners tho.

Thanks! Yeah a way point would help. I don't know the puzzles don't seem too hard to me. I want the player to think a little. And yeah I try to come up with several ideas per levels Mario Galaxy style.

Give me a shout when your levels are ready.

I tried to complete it, but that first part with the Twhomp and the trampolines...it's too difficult.
I get it, you need to start running right before the Twhomp stops, but the timing is so strict, it's impossible to get it right every time. Way, way, waaay to difficult IMHO. I obtained to surpass that point once, though, and I was reaching what probably was the pipe leading to the ending sequence, but that Red Koopa
Aside from that, cool ideas for Twhomps + ice blocks between sliding and gates to open, and
I liked how you used a coin as a hint for a hidden ? block with a 1Up

I'll try to complete it in the future.

Thank you for playing! You don't have to time anything, just run, crouch and slide under the thwomp. 100% guaranteed and quite satisfying.

Will give it a shot tonight! Check out my newest creation if you can:
http://www.mariomakerhub.com/levels/866/trials-of-osiris

Cool! Will try yours tonight.

I look forward to trying it out tomorrow. For now though, I sleep XD

Thanks for the stages as always :)

Thanks for playing my Manic Miner inspired stage and good job on completing it (completion stands at 2%).

Your star was my 50th so I can now upload more stages. Yay!

Filter

Thanks! Yeah a way point would help. I don't know the puzzles don't seem too hard to me. I want the player to think a little. And yeah I try to come up with several ideas per levels Mario Galaxy style.

Give me a shout when your levels are ready.

Thank you for playing! You don't have to time anything, just run, crouch and slide under the thwomp. 100% guaranteed and quite satisfying.

Cool! Will try yours tonight.

I've followed you so I'll check out your other stages.

Mine is the star fox stage at the top of this page. It's for beginners.

We Need Your Help Star Fox! Jr.
oxspdnzc.lsa.jpeg

ID: 51D0 0000 0064 822E

Thank you everyone for submitting levels and watching me play them. It has been great. Hopefully I can get that spring level down (if you saw that, lol) I wanna def finish that.

Many thanks to you to stream all those levels and play mine (far too easy, I will remove that star and add some mines :) ).

I will go back to your stream to take notes of levels ID, I loved the one with Zelda and bombs, it was awesome!

andymcc

Banned
Yesterday, on that GAF stream, there was a level with all the enemies themed as Luigi, what is the course ID?

furthermore, how do you do that to the enemies?

MrBadger

Yesterday, on that GAF stream, there was a level with all the enemies themed as Luigi, what is the course ID?

furthermore, how do you do that to the enemies?

That's mine! :D

P5jp6pb.png

3nhQQBr.jpg

To do this you need the 30th Anniversary Mario amiibo, to scan in to create mega mushrooms.

There are a lot of other weird changes it makes. Most of them are just Mario mustaches and caps added to enemies. Red koopa troopas wear their caps backwards!

Bowser has the princess riding on his back and Bowser Jr. has Luigi riding on his back (which I forgot to put into my level). I also just found out that red cannons and bill shooters fire Toad instead of Luigi!

You can download my level if you just want to play with it yourself, but you won't be able to upload a level derived from another user's.

Model 500

Speed run challenge:

UFO: STAGE 02
0671-0000-003A-121F

Finish the level in 19 seconds or under.

I played your stage, challenging and fun, the same goes for the Speedrun option. Took me 30 seconds still tho lol (as stated in the Miiverse ;)). Took me a few tries to get to the star
(only managed it from the right side)
and then some to realise what to do exactly with it without falling in a hole lol.

Hey, thanks for taking up the challenge Double, saw your comment in Miiverse. I tried your stage yesterday, couldn't finish it yet, but will keep on trying. I too will post feedback mostly in-game / Miiverse, but I don't mind posting longer opinions here or through PM as well. I sent you a PM with 19 sec speed run video link, check it out!

Followed, and looking forward to playing your upcoming stages!

I realize I don't post in this specific thread a whole lot, but I was hoping to share some of my creations.

At the very least, if you could throw me some stars so I can have more uploads I would appreciate it.

These levels are designed around being something you might actually see in a Mario game. No fancy tricks or misdirection here.

Feel free to critique as well.

I've followed you so I'll check out your other stages.

Mine is the star fox stage at the top of this page. It's for beginners.

Nice stage! I especially liked the double spinning fire beams on the upper route, looked very cool.

I've just made my first airship level. It ended up being pretty damn hard, especially in a section toward the end where you need to blow up a wall with bob-ombs. Still, I think it should be managable within a couple of tries, especially if you explore and find the appropriate powerups!

Airship Antics:
7998-0000-0065-8EAA

Neki

I think 10% is a solid completion percentage for a level that aims to be "tough but fair." Remember, that's not a sign that 10% of the people who played it have beaten it, but that it takes about 10 lives before someone beats it. I think that's about right for a good challenge.

It's only when it dips below 1% that I begin to suspect shenanigans out of the gate.

But the flight items are distinct, as are Shoe vs. Yoshi.

Doesn't board the airship have a sub 2% complete rate? :p

test_account

XP-39C²
OK, didn't know that. Might be different in the UK English version? But anyway, the official term is still Super Star now.
I dont have a UK version of Super Mario Bros, but the scandinavian manual also says "Starman". The german manual says "sternwesen", which means like Star-creature. Back in the days, personally, me and my friends just said "star" though, at least from what i can remember =)

I think 10% is a solid completion percentage for a level that aims to be "tough but fair." Remember, that's not a sign that 10% of the people who played it have beaten it, but that it takes about 10 lives before someone beats it. I think that's about right for a good challenge.

It's only when it dips below 1% that I begin to suspect shenanigans out of the gate.

Or you can interpret it as, 5 people died once and didn't bother to play again, and the remaining people each died 4 times and won on their fifth try. :)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The secret reason everyone has so many deaths on their levels is probably this: most Mario players don't run. It mortifies them. And they certainly don't do running jumps.

Thud

I realize I don't post in this specific thread a whole lot, but I was hoping to share some of my creations.

At the very least, if you could throw me some stars so I can have more uploads I would appreciate it.

These levels are designed around being something you might actually see in a Mario game. No fancy tricks or misdirection here.

Feel free to critique as well.

Vanilla Plains and Cave are nice.
Vanilla Sky needs some work. Airship looks a bit weird and also some block placements are ruining the momentum. A bit too much warp pipes.
Vanilla Ghost House needs a bit more direction. It's okay if players get lost but make sure when they're on the right track (add a SFX or shower coins or something). It was also a bit long.

Banana Fields and Sky are sweet. I think Sky would fit into the athletic theme if you add more donut platforms and noteblocks. Banana Lake reminds me that SMB3 had the best underwater levels. I love those jellyfish. I like how you used those thwomps in Banana Castle. He nearly got me in the end.

I starred all these courses. A little finetuning wouldn't hurt it. At times you're pretty stingy with power ups. I was suprised to see SMB3 levels, because Vanilla is SMW to me. Anyway keep up the good work. I hope this helps making those Chocolate courses :)

The secret reason everyone has so many deaths on their levels is probably this: most Mario players don't run. It mortifies them. And they certainly don't do running jumps.

Of course they may have learned that running is a bad idea in most levels, because you can't trust the designers not to drop hammer bros on your head, or have sudden pits or giant chain chomps or podoboos/lava bubbles or whatever.

I played a few stages from the last page, so here's some commentary.

Tingle's Crazed Clown Coinland (90D2-0000-0065-57C1)

WVW69iasa28nfnADGW

Haha woah, I didn't know there was a Tingle sprite, that is awesome. The clown cars and bounciness match him very well, it's like bumper cars. It's fun!

oxspdnzc.lsa.jpeg

This is a fun simple stage, but still with some nice platforming and a little bit of a challenge with avoiding the bullets. I love the theme with the airship designs, that's really well done. Very Star Fox. For a beginner Mario I think it's a great stage.

Grow With The Flow
(DE34-0000-0063-6259)

WVW69iakvOkMBDq9yj

This is a cool concept with great execution. When you're hanging from a vine moving along a track and have to avoid incoming enemies with moving up and down is really fun.

Journey through the Mansion
ID: F430-0000-0063-18B7

I really loved this stage, the exploration and puzzle solving is really well done. Some parts of the stage can be tricky with the platforming and boos, but you also added stars at strategic places to make it work. I died quite a few times, but then again I also died at the goomba at the start so that tells something about me, lol. But it really is a fun stage with nice design and atmosphere.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Will be interesting for everyone to post their 1-1 level contest entries' completion rates when the voting period is over. Those are meant to be what we consider easy levels.

Thud

Will be interesting for everyone to post their 1-1 level contest entries' completion rates when the voting period is over. Those are meant to be what we consider easy levels.

I think you should look after the contest for it to be fair.

Currently I'm on 86,53% with 47 players, 45 succesful attemps and 52 attemps in total. The three pitfalls have some crosses and a few goomba/koopa deaths.

Fawk Nin

Petey's Ghost House: FEAB-0000-0060-5FB3

This is my first level I think holds together form start to finish.

It's a little on the shorter end, I might add stuff going forward.

Any feedback is welcome and I'll return the favour if you have levels to be played.

jnWake

Sorry for the requote but this got literally no plays last night. End of the page curse is too strong.

Do you think you're good at Super Mario World? Are you even good at spin bouncing? You want to be the next PangaeaPanga?

Then you're just in time for the third installment in the Mystery House series!

WVW69iam9RcTk5pFgA

Mystery House Spin Bounce: 2355-0000-0063-E9D7.

In Mystery House Spin Bounce you must clear challenges involving spin jumping over spinies. These are quick challenges meant to be cleared in the time a P-Switch is activated.

Mystery House Spin Bounce, unlike it's predecessors, utilizes the full power of Warp Pipe™ to bypass the 4 doors limit and has 8 challenges for you to clear! While the first 4 only feature spinies, the second set also features another hazard...

WVW69iam-VIq-KyOoM

The last couple of challenges are actually pretty tough IMO so, if you try this (and please do!), good luck! The level is challenging but I think it's pretty fun as it's fast paced.

If you liked this level, please check out the previous Mystery Houses (which are a tad easier than this one):
Mystery House Bounce: 15EA-0000-0048-B42C.
Mystery House Surf: E3B1-0000-004D-050B.

Top Bottom