• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

rdelaney said:
I am pretty bitter about buying this game on Steam not knowing that the makers of the game intended for you to use a game pad. I've made it to chapter 5 so far, and just unlocked "the kid", but it seems like it would be so much easier with a controller instead of this keyboard. If they are going to put that screen at the beginning of the game saying shit like, "thumbs before fingers, live it" then tell me before I buy it! Do any of you guys use the keyboard?
It all comes down to preference, I personally prefer a controller for platformers. This guy is pretty good and uses a keyboard.

rdelaney said:
I am pretty bitter about buying this game on Steam not knowing that the makers of the game intended for you to use a game pad. I've made it to chapter 5 so far, and just unlocked "the kid", but it seems like it would be so much easier with a controller instead of this keyboard. If they are going to put that screen at the beginning of the game saying shit like, "thumbs before fingers, live it" then tell me before I buy it! Do any of you guys use the keyboard?

I played through all of the Meat Boy flash game with keyboard and played through Super Meat Boy with an Xbox 360 controller. It's all preference. That screen is just what they prefer, don't take it more than a joke.

TheExodu5

Banned
If you can actually intuitively map your mind to it, the keyboard is the faster input method, simple due to having more fingers at your disposal. That being said, I couldn't get walljumps at all with the keyboard so I just stuck with the controller.

Atomski

rdelaney said:

Theres pleanty of people who say its easier on keyboard. I personally love a controller for platformers though.. one of the reasons I have not beat VVVVVV yet.

Ledsen

Platform goes up
Platform goes down
Platform goes up
Platform goes down
Platform goes up
Platform goes down
Platform goes up
Platform goes down
Platform goes up
Platform goes down
Platform goes up
Platform goes down
Platform goes up
Platform goes down
Platform goes up
Platform goes down
Platform goes up
Platform goes down
Platform goes up
Platform goes down
Platform goes up
Platform goes down
Platform goes up
Platform goes down
Platform goes up
Platform goes down
Platform goes up
Platform goes down

Please help me im typing this from my phone i cant stop

Salsa

Atomski said:
Theres pleanty of people who say its easier on keyboard. I personally love a controller for platformers though.. one of the reasons I have not beat VVVVVV yet.

really ? JoyToKey is your friend, or any other of the many joystick simulation softwares.

Nabs

SalsaShark said:
really ? JoyToKey is your friend, or any other of the many joystick simulation softwares.
There's actually a copy of Joy2Key in every VVVVVV folder. You just have to open it up.

rdelaney said:

You didn't know a 2D platformer would be better with a controller? OK...

Buy this, controller part is awesome:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Xbox-360-Rock-B...ccessories&hash=item43a5ddda42#ht_2344wt_1108

Bebpo

Banned
Kind of surprised that no one is talking about Super Meat World now that it's up (or does it have a separate thread?). Has anyone messed around with it and found good levels? I tried a few and they were neat but really hard! I'm kind of bummed the difficulty filter isn't working yet since that's definitely something I'd like to sort by.

Bebpo said:
Kind of surprised that no one is talking about Super Meat World now that it's up (or does it have a separate thread?). Has anyone messed around with it and found good levels? I tried a few and they were neat but really hard! I'm kind of bummed the difficulty filter isn't working yet since that's definitely something I'd like to sort by.

The fact that it doesn't save times made me not really try it yet.

jintek

Banned
Yeah, the fact that SMW doesn't show completion and/or A+ is extremely crappy and lame. Pretty much one of the reasons I'm done playing Meat Boy at the moment until it's fixed, and god knows how long that'll take.

On a nicer note, I'm loving the recent inclusion of Alien Hominid.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I spent the last 3 hours trying to get past the "The Guy" warp zone. I can't do it. At all. I get the third part of it and I just can't get past the spikes flying at me. No words can describe my anger of how much time I wasted.

2Crisis

so I spent a good amount of time messing around in Super Meat World, and so far most of the stuff in there is extremely disappointing.

I went through about 3 entire campaigns that relied on either the Black Demon, or the tracking missiles on EVERY single level to create the challenge. Part of my love of the official game was the incredibly clever level design and relative lack of levels that involved those two things. It just seems that those two mechanics shift the burden of completing the levels more into luck than perfect execution.

If it's me not doing a level correctly, I will play it 200 or 300 times straight until completion, but when you start a level and a missile launcher is firing 3 rockets a second at you, no thanks.

2Crisis said:
so I spent a good amount of time messing around in Super Meat World, and so far most of the stuff in there is extremely disappointing.

I went through about 3 entire campaigns that relied on either the Black Demon, or the tracking missiles on EVERY single level to create the challenge. Part of my love of the official game was the incredibly clever level design and relative lack of levels that involved those two things. It just seems that those two mechanics shift the burden of completing the levels more into luck than perfect execution.

If it's me not doing a level correctly, I will play it 200 or 300 times straight until completion, but when you start a level and a missile launcher is firing 3 rockets a second at you, no thanks.

Yeah, that's how I felt. I've done absolutely everything in Super Meat Boy, both on XBLA and PC, yet one of the most recent SMW chapters (I forget the name) was the only time I actually wasn't having fun. I tend to hate any level with those black demon things, and this chapter had them in nearly every single level.

UrbanRats

2Crisis said:

Once the editor will be out, there'll be hell to pay. ;)

Ledsen

TheUsual said:
I spent the last 3 hours trying to get past the "The Guy" warp zone. I can't do it. At all. I get the third part of it and I just can't get past the spikes flying at me. No words can describe my anger of how much time I wasted.

The last level was the easiest one for me. Once you get the rhythm down for jumping over the spikes (how fast to double-jump and at what distance from the spike you should do it) it just becomes a matter of doing the same thing ~10 times without failing. The most frustrating one was the second (as you can tell from one of my previous posts on this page).

jintek

Banned
TheUsual said:

Just remember to time your second jump well before the spike comes out. Also remember not to let your nerves get the better of you, at the 3rd level it's easy to get amped up and get angry easily. So calm down, learn the level, practice, execute and you will eventually get it.

Ledsen

god damn it so close to A+ the light world (minus cotton alley, haven't gotten there yet). I don't know if I can handle the dark world, honestly.

Acerac

Banned
Speaking of keyboard usage, is there any way to save replays with a keyboard? The controls page in game just shows a 360 controller, and I've been using a logitech one which requires key inputs.

Vlad

Acerac said:
Speaking of keyboard usage, is there any way to save replays with a keyboard? The controls page in game just shows a 360 controller, and I've been using a logitech one which requires key inputs.

Uh, take a look at the upper left of the screen when you're viewing a replay.

The Shift key saves it.

Acerac

Banned
Vlad said:
Uh, take a look at the upper left of the screen when you're viewing a replay.

The Shift key saves it.
Uh, it only gives me options to do stuff with the x-box controller on the upper left of the screen.

Thanks anyways for the second half of your post. -_-

TheUsual

Gold Member
Ledsen said:
The last level was the easiest one for me. Once you get the rhythm down for jumping over the spikes (how fast to double-jump and at what distance from the spike you should do it) it just becomes a matter of doing the same thing ~10 times without failing. The most frustrating one was the second (as you can tell from one of my previous posts on this page).
I think I have the rhythm down for the third level, but the jump from the 2nd floor to the 3rd floor is something I do not have. I've watched some youtube videos to see jumps and all, but I just can't connect it. Going to have to keep trying though. This is the only place where I wish I could use a save state or something. I hate having to go through the first two again to try to get through this part.

Helmholtz

TheUsual said:
Weird, I found the third one the easiest. The first one took me the longest to complete, second one the second longest, third one the shortest. The third one pissed me off a lot at first, but it's just a matter of jumping way in advance, even before you see the spikes coming at you. It's designed so you can just barely clear the tops of them.
Also, how lame is it that SMW doesn't record times :/
It's the one thing that's keeping me from playing these levels.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I just bought Super Meat Boy and can't play it :/ many people on steam forum have the same problem. They say it's because of the ARG update.

Y9laq.png

TheUsual

Gold Member
Helmholtz said:
Weird, I found the third one the easiest. The first one took me the longest to complete, second one the second longest, third one the shortest. The third one pissed me off a lot at first, but it's just a matter of jumping way in advance, even before you see the spikes coming at you. It's designed so you can just barely clear the tops of them.
Also, how lame is it that SMW doesn't record times :/
It's the one thing that's keeping me from playing these levels.
HAHA! Finally did it. What was killing me on the jump from the second level to third level (of the 3rd part in the warp zone) was that I wasn't double jumping to get over the spike wall coming towards me. Double jumped, got over, and jumped my way to bandage girl!

It probably didn't help that I was drinking whiskey the last time I tried to do this warp zone.

Jzero

So i'm currently having problems with the game. whenever i go through a really small space meat boy randombly dies even though thats the only way you can go through. It's happening especially in hell.

Nicktals

Banned
Just got retweeted: "RT @Nicktals:mad:SuperMeatBoy I'm staying up until 3 am EST, hoping the new SMB internets levels get released. #nerdinheat

@Nicktals dont, it's friday and all the MS approval team has gone home. check back monday"

Appreciate the response, bummer we have to wait 3 more days though.

I'm looking forward to level editor now for the sole reason that the last few Super Meat World chapters have been incredibly poor. The good level design from the main game appears to have been thrown out the window in favour of levels that are far too long, overly complicated, and are difficult/frustrating for the wrong reasons (black demons all over the place, moving/disappearing platforms, etc).

Were the levels in the last few SMW chapters made by Team Meat? I really hope not.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Scuba Steve said:
Awesome girlfriend is awesome, she surprised me with this for 100%'ing the game

281034_s.jpg
i'll be taking that.

I mean your girlfriend

Top Bottom