• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I'm not understanding this, quite a few of my games are downloading decent sized patches. Looks like it's purely an april fools gag, which is a waste of my bandwidth.

Ed: Hooray. Happy potato fools days everyone. Yay.

Amnesia, Audiosurf and Killing Floor have also updated, probably with potato related hijinks.

Kade

The interface for Super Meat Boy only reads mouse movement and there's no cursor at all.

I tried to select stages using the arrow keys and WASD but those don't do anything.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
dygiT said:
The interface for Super Meat Boy only reads mouse movement and there's no cursor at all.

I tried to select stages using the arrow keys and WASD but those don't do anything.
I don't follow, is Meat World out? Do I have to finish Light World for it?

dygiT said:
It's out. Just press Left when you're on the World Select screen. I don't know if you need to beat Light World to play it, though.
I guess I have to get to beating Light World then, because it's locked off for me. I only play it on 360, really.

Kade

Thnikkaman said:
I don't follow, is Meat World out? Do I have to finish Light World for it?

It's out. Just press Left when you're on the World Select screen. I don't know if you need to beat Light World to play it, though.

Nabs

TheExodu5 said:
I selected a level and they're all the same thing, lol.

We do get 10 potato world levels though.
ahh, you have to use a mouse to select. i see... super potato world is pretty nice :D

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Their twitter says 5 more hours. So I assume that there will actually be the release of the real Super Meat World today.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Has anyone been able to decipher the patch notes about difficulty being decreased and "better ammo"?

Salsa

J3RRv.jpg

I've beaten several of the extra levels (including all of the potato boy ones) and they don't save my times, or show a record of my having completed them. Does anyone know if this is a bug, or if it's intentional?

Salsa

Only April's fools is Super Potato boy though, Super Meat World is for real, its here.

Only thing is it doesnt track your progess of beaten levels or times. Maybe that's the joke ? lol

This is an awesome thing to come home to. A whole clutch of new Meat Boy stages. Worth the wait, for sure. I hope they patch in, if not "best time" support, then a least an acknowledgement that the player has beaten the level.

The Hermit

SalsaShark said:
Only April's fools is Super Potato boy though, Super Meat World is for real, its here.

Only thing is it doesnt track your progess of beaten levels or times. Maybe that's the joke ? lol

The good thing about releasing a game/patch/feature in April's first is that if there's something buggy people will think its a joke or something...

Hixx

I might be the last person ever to do it but I finally unlocked the Guys warp zone and did it. Took about 70 mins. It took me so, so long to get the rhythm for the third zig-zag movement in the second level. And I died 3 times on the last spike on that level too for some reason. Can't remember the last time a game made me shout so much. Probably back to when I played PES6 on live a lot.

GooeyHeat

I think you need some number of bandages. 20? I think that the "YOU UNLOCKED SOMETHING LOCKED" screen was for Super Meat World.

celebi23

GooeyHeat said:
I think you need some number of bandages. 20? I think that the "YOU UNLOCKED SOMETHING LOCKED" screen was for Super Meat World.

Thanks. I only need 5 more. I'll probably play more of SMB when the Mac version comes out. Been playing it in Windows 7 inside of VMware Fusion & sometimes in Boot Camp.

TheOGB

Banned
GooeyHeat said:
Crap. Now I have to dive in again to get the required bandages.

Looks like my hands might not make it through the weekend. :(

Nabs

potatoboy.png

Sometimes it takes a while to realize when you are wrong, you get
Used to the way things are in your life and simply lose sight of things.

Peta was right about meat boy, meat is murder!
Everyone told us peta was nothing more then a gathering of
Rambling religious zealots, and we believed them.

Meat boy is not the type of hero we want our kids looking up to.
Even i am willing to admit, we made a mistake and its time to fix it.

A wise man once said "For as long as men massacre animals,
They will kill each other. Indeed, he
Who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love."

Officially, let me introduce you to our new mascot, Potato Boy!
Runing off of pure soulless vegetable fuel!
Leaving no trail of blood, no bodies of innocent animals or
Destroying this beautiful world.

I stand by our new hero, and once you play as him you will too.
Steam's potato boy update is loaded and ready to roll!

http://supermeatboy.com/

jintek

Banned
I really hope Potato Boy sticks around!

In any case the new chapters are great, from what I played Remnants and Paradise Lost are my favorites. Finally got my 3rd Golden God today too! :p

But I already miss The End and hopefully all the bugs and missing features will be worked out soon. Because as of this moment, it's nowhere near where it needs to be. And I've decided to scrap my devmode project after the news it'll be turned off in favor of ramping up the level editor, and I'll just continue when it greenlights.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So I guess they rushed this out so they could be in on the potato joke or something? Not a good look. I wish they would've waited until it was ready, but I guess it's hard to complain too much since it's free and an indie project.

The levels are really fun though. But at the very least I wish it would record what levels I've already beaten.

Stubo

Finally playing this for the first time as a break from writing my dissertation...living up to the hype for me so far. Done the first 2 light worlds and dark world 1, but don't have all the bandages (12 and 5 respectively)

I've never felt 'There's no way I'm going to 100% this' harder for another game. Seeing videos of the later stages is a horrible experience...

Stubo said:
Finally playing this for the first time as a break from writing my dissertation...living up to the hype for me so far. Done the first 2 light worlds and dark world 1, but don't have all the bandages (12 and 5 respectively)

I've never felt 'There's no way I'm going to 100% this' harder for another game. Seeing videos of the later stages is a horrible experience...
Some Bandages can be pretty frustrating, but you will feel awesome when you get them. I still haven't finished the game because I try to get A+ and every bandages in X world before proceeding to another. It can take a reaaal while.

Holepunch

Stubo said:

Just a word of advice, stave off of doing Dark Worlds until you complete the light side of the game. Most of the people I talked to who try to beat the dark world right after the light end up burning out. The difficulty curve isn't accommodating that way. If you're not feeling it already, you're in for serious pain dark worlds chapter 4 and on.

Stubo

Sgt.Pepper said:
Some Bandages can be pretty frustrating, but you will feel awesome when you get them. I still haven't finished the game because I try to get A+ and every bandages in X world before proceeding to another. It can take a reaaal while.
Yeah, I've got A+ on all of the stuff I've done so far, hasn't been too many retries so far (In the grand scheme of this game, at least)

jintek

Banned
Stubo said:

I felt the same way when I started, but trust me when I say you'll always surprise yourself. It really does come down to patience (remember that word in the Dark Cotton Alley :p), determination and muscle memory. But it's never impossible with enough skill and enough deep breaths.

I'm no super gamer and my skills are pretty average, but I've managed to unlock Golden God three times so just keep at it and watch vids for tips when you need to. But it's not like Ghouls N' Ghosts/Super Empire/Lost Levels kind of hard.

Baha

Finally picked this up yesterday and I'm loving it. I'm still undecided on whether I should play through each world till I beat the game or play each world until I get 100% before moving onto the next world.

Big Chungus

Baha said:
Finally picked this up yesterday and I'm loving it. I'm still undecided on whether I should play through each world till I beat the game or play each world until I get 100% before moving onto the next world.
Try unlocking secret characters before attempting %100.

Top Bottom