• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

1-D_FTW

Baha said:
Finally picked this up yesterday and I'm loving it. I'm still undecided on whether I should play through each world till I beat the game or play each world until I get 100% before moving onto the next world.

That's kind of my problem too.

Wait. No. It's not. I keep dying on the final stage of the first world. I've got potato boy genocide happening there:(

Baha

fna84 said:
Try unlocking secret characters before attempting %100.

Alright I'll do that then.

1-D_FTW said:
That's kind of my problem too.

Wait. No. It's not. I keep dying on the final stage of the first world. I've got potato boy genocide happening there:(

I had the same problem until I realized that I had to sprint on certain sections (the sand blocks hanging over buzz saws) so I could outrun the boss and have enough time to make the tricky jumps without dying.

SA-X

Atolm said:
Seems yesterday patch broke some stuff. Game freezes after The End chapter intro for me and a friend.
Yeah its broken for me too. I had just gotten to the end chapter. Bought it last week and took a while to get it to run without crashing randomly and then they update and this happens. Should have just bought the damn xbox version. :/

Stubo

I've finished all of the light stages now (Including cotton alley) and done the first 2 dark worlds. Only have 52 of the bandages though.

This game has proved far too good a distraction from my work...I'm going to leave the rest of the dark worlds (and the insanity they'll likely inflict on me) for after all this stuff's done :p

vanty

Baha said:
Alright I'll do that then.

I had the same problem until I realized that I had to sprint on certain sections (the sand blocks hanging over buzz saws) so I could outrun the boss and have enough time to make the tricky jumps without dying.
You should basically be sprinting all the time unless a jump needs you to be slow and extra precise, even more so than in Mario games.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I wanted to ask, is there a specific order to follow to knos which levels have a bandage or it's purely a case-by-case where I'll have too look around if there's one?
There's a level a couple of worlds back (world 3 maybe?) with a laser igniting an explosive reaction of the blocks where I stand to reach the "exit', there are vertical and horizontal lasers all around and the bandage is inside a big metal "box", how the hell can I reach the bandage? There's no opening even when all the blocks have exploded! I have a few special character unlocked, I'm in world four and I believe I've done all the warp/hard-ass 8bit meat boy challenges and Dark World counteparts. Should I beat every normal world before and then coming back for Dark World? i just beat the boss
with the fists and headbutt
. When should I play "teh internets"?

P.S.
I really don't like how the game handles those saved replays, with the backgrounds never being affected by your actions like in the normal replays! It doesn't a good job of showing my skills when I'm with my brother and want to be a showoff :p

Helmholtz

Dash Kappei said:
I wanted to ask, is there a specific order to follow to knos which levels have a bandage or it's purely a case-by-case where I'll have too look around if there's one?
There's a level a couple of worlds back (world 3 maybe?) with a laser igniting an explosive reaction of the blocks where I stand to reach the "exit', there are vertical and horizontal lasers all around and the bandage is inside a big metal "box", how the hell can I reach the bandage? There's no opening even when all the blocks have exploded! I have a few special character unlocked, I'm in world four and I believe I've done all the warp/hard-ass 8bit meat boy challenges and Dark World counteparts. Should I beat every normal world before and then coming back for Dark World? i just beat the boss
with the fists and headbutt
. When should I play "teh internets"?

P.S.
I really don't like how the game handles those saved replays, with the backgrounds never being affected by your actions like in the normal replays! It doesn't a good job of showing my skills when I'm with my brother and want to be a showoff :p
I don't think there's any pattern as to which levels the bandages are on. There are however a set number of bandages per world (I think it's 20), as well as a set number per warp zone (I believe 3). I personally just googled 'super meat boy bandage guide' to help me get them. I do wish there was some indicator that a level has a bandage.

jintek

Banned
^Update fixed the crash when entering The End, everything else still remains as it was.

Feel free to add me if you like btw, I'm not the best player in the world but I try.

New update is out:

Team Meat's tweet said:
We just updated the Steam Version of SMB with a few new fixes, new 20 level chapter in Super Meat World and a few potato's - also removed 1.

And beta editor is coming in the next update.

jintek

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
New update is out:

And beta editor is coming in the next update.

Actually the beta editor is already here, enter -devmode to see. ;)

And hopefully Potato Boy becomes selectable in the future. I love his gallop sound as he runs now...

Nicktals

Banned
Just thought I'd post this for the PC crowd, as it seems very mysterious...But maybe it's not mysterious, and someone can tell me what it means.

Via the SMB twitter:

no one seems to follow the ray of sun to the potato patch...

What does it mean? Vague and mysterious is very unlike the SMB twitter account, at least for the last 2 months.

Benjillion said:
Just to double check something, this game is not going to see the light of day on the Mac, right?
I believe they said that when the level editor/World is complete they will release the Mac version, don't take my word for granted though.

You could ask Team Meat directly if you want.

jintek

Banned
Benjillion said:
Just to double check something, this game is not going to see the light of day on the Mac, right?

They've confirmed after the Portal/Editor is complete the Mac version will be next, a Linux version is also in the works.

Ledsen

Just got this game. It's pretty good, but I don't like the jump physics at all. The air control is weird and the guy has way too much momentum when jumping off walls. Also there seems to be a slight delay to jumping, making me run off edges sometimes. And why is there no way to see which levels have bandages, and if you've beaten a warp zone or not (as far as I can see)? That shit is beyond stupid.

TheExodu5

Banned
How can you not like the jump physics? :(

If there's any delay, I'd think it's a result of input lag and not inherent to the game itself. This is the most responsive platformer I've ever played.

Gattsu25

Banned
Ledsen said:
Just got this game. It's pretty good, but I don't like the jump physics at all. The air control is weird and the guy has way too much momentum when jumping off walls. Also there seems to be a slight delay to jumping, making me run off edges sometimes. And why is there no way to see which levels have bandages, and if you've beaten a warp zone or not (as far as I can see)? That shit is beyond stupid.
Let go of the run button.

Monocle

Ledsen said:
The jump physics will make more sense as you continue to play. You can modify them by holding or releasing the run button. If you don't like the way Meat Boy controls, there are some good unlockable characters who run and jump differently. My favorite is The Kid. He's slower than Meat Boy and capable of a double jump that makes most levels a lot easier. He's stupidly hard to unlock and you won't be able to try until you've reached the fifth world.

Salsa

Ledsen said:

Give it some time, you'll get used to the physics and eventually they'll become second nature.

Ledsen

Gattsu25 said:
Let go of the run button.

I guess I should try that :lol

TheExodu5 said:
How can you not like the jump physics? :(

If there's any delay, I'd think it's a result of input lag and not inherent to the game itself. This is the most responsive platformer I've ever played.

Yeah it's a very slight delay but like I said, I have run off edges. I'm playing on a laptop with a 360 controller. The jump physics are not similar to anything I've played before, which is why I dislike them so far. They're just not very intuitive. I guess I'll get used to them.

Monocle said:
The jump physics will make more sense as you continue to play. You can modify them by holding or releasing the run button. If you don't like the way Meat Boy controls, there are some good unlockable characters who run and jump differently. My favorite is The Kid. He's slower than Meat Boy and capable of a double jump that makes most levels a lot easier. He's stupidly hard to unlock and you won't be able to try until you've reached the fifth world.

Sounds good. So is there any way to see which levels have warp zones, and if you've beaten a particular warp zone?

Ledsen said:
The jump physics are not similar to anything I've played before, which is why I dislike them so far. They're just not very intuitive. I guess I'll get used to them.
Don't worry. I can agree with this. I did get mostly used to them eventually, but they're still my least favorite part of the otherwise flawless controls/physics.

They're different, but not bad in any way. Most importantly, they're consistent. They always performed exactly how I wanted and expected them to whenever I pressed the button, unlike something like 'splosion Man.

TheExodu5

Banned
The jump physics give you complete control over SMB. The longer you hold the jump button, the higher you jump. There is almost no air momentum, giving you full control of SMB even mid jump.

jintek

Banned
Ledsen said:

Yeah, you'll definitely get more used to them as time goes on. But there are certainly a few slight inconsistencies here and there. Precise straight falls are very difficult to pull off due to favoring drift and momentum from a controls/physics perspective, the wallstick can prove problematic in a few contrived cases notably in tight horizontal passages. Also, to touch on what you said about jump response, it's not that it's unresponsive it's just that Meat Boy's momentum has a higher priority than the jump input frame-by-frame. The speed/momentum almost supersedes the jump response so to speak. If we put of script on Meat Boy I'm almost sure I'm correct.

These are all things that can be worked around though and printed to muscle memory, just keep them in mind from a play perspective. Other than the few other technical game design problems it has for the most part the levels are designed to accommodate these things.

Nicktals

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
The jump physics give you complete control over SMB. The longer you hold the jump button, the higher you jump. There is almost no air momentum, giving you full control of SMB even mid jump.

For some reason I still fall off of ledges after I've pressed the jump button. How does SMB handle this exactly? Do I need to let go of the jump button before the edge? As a sidenote, I've gotten A+ on every level in SMB, and am anxiously awaiting the 15th to A+ 30 more. But I still do that fairly often on some levels and I'd like to know exactly why.

Yeah there are a few mild hangups, but you get used to them, and more importantly, you realize why they exist.

clav

This game makes me hate life and certainly the dollars used to purchase it. You could take clips of AVGN's rants on sadistic level design and gameplay to do a review of this game.

I'm trying to unlock
The Kid
, but the level is too difficult. Who thought this was a good idea? What were they thinking?!

That famous AVGN quote about Silver Surfer works so well for this game.

jintek

Banned
Nicktals said:
For some reason I still fall off of ledges after I've pressed the jump button. How does SMB handle this exactly?

The reason for this, at least from my playtime is as I stated the momentum physics take higher priority to the jump input. So often times if you land on the absolute pixel edge of a platform, you'll just slip off instead of being able to hop off.

jintek

Banned
snack said:
Is the level editor coming out any time soon? I've been twiddling these thumbs for a while.

The beta editor is already here, although it's kind of hush hush I guess...

If you want to use the beta editor, simply go to the launch options for Meat Boy in Steam, and type in -devmode. That will boot you into the editor, then use F1 while in the editor to start fooling around. But it is extremely buggy right now, so you may want to hold off until it's final.

I'm personally doing a full Gary Busey chapter at the moment myself. It's kind of slow going though due to massive amounts of college work and other usual everyday stuff.

Ledsen

jintek said:
Yeah, you'll definitely get more used to them as time goes on. But there are certainly a few slight inconsistencies here and there. Precise straight falls are very difficult to pull off due to favoring drift and momentum from a controls/physics perspective, the wallstick can prove problematic in a few contrived cases notably in tight horizontal passages. Also, to touch on what you said about jump response, it's not that it's unresponsive it's just that Meat Boy's momentum has a higher priority than the jump input frame-by-frame. The speed/momentum almost supersedes the jump response so to speak. If we put of script on Meat Boy I'm almost sure I'm correct.

These are all things that can be worked around though and printed to muscle memory, just keep them in mind from a play perspective. Other than the few other technical game design problems it has for the most part the levels are designed to accommodate these things.

Great explanation. The momentum is really pissing me off right now since it make jumping off single blocks much harder than it should be. Instead of simply landing at running speed and quickly jumping off, I have to stop on the block to make sure I don't run off the edge. I also hate that Meat Boy doesn't immediately let go of a wall if I press the opposite direction on the stick, instead waiting like half a second. This has caused me more than a few deaths when I don't want to jump off, but can't simply let go. Very small, simple things, but in a game that requires this amount of precision they're really important.

TheExodu5

Banned
The half second stick is there for a reason: walljumping. Otherwise, you'd have to hold the direction button towards the wall when making the wall jump, like in the original flash game. If ever you've played that, you'll know it doesn't work very well.

As for the jumping delay...what displays are you guys playing this on? Jumping felt pretty instantaneous on a TN panel when I tried (at least compared to my PVA panel), so I really think it's just an input lag thing.

Futureman

I basically bought a 360 for this game over the weekend. SO good so far, on level 3 Salt Factory or whatever it is. OMG I love this game so much. Ha.

General XBox question. I doubt this is possible, but can you put SMB on a USB drive and take it and play on a friend's XBox?

and you guys use the D-pad for this game right? Or is it easier if I practice with the analog?

TimmiT

Futureman said:
I basically bought a 360 for this game over the weekend. SO good so far, on level 3 Salt Factory or whatever it is. OMG I love this game so much. Ha.

General XBox question. I doubt this is possible, but can you put SMB on a USB drive and take it and play on a friend's XBox?

and you guys use the D-pad for this game right? Or is it easier if I practice with the analog?
Why would you buy a 360 for this game if it's also available for PC? http://store.steampowered.com/app/40800

Anyway, you can play it on your friend's Xbox 360 if you log into your own account, else you will only be able to play the trial version.

And the analog stick is much better for this game than the D-pad, so yes.

balladofwindfishes said:
How do I turn Sticky Keys off?

It messes with SMB because I have to sometimes rapidly press and hold shift and it locks up the game trying to get me to turn it on.

Dunno if this got answered yet, but if you haven't turned them off, tap shift over and over until it pops up, then click the link in the dialog to go to the usability screen and turn it off there. Hold down shift as well for a while and turn that one off too. There's more of them but you won't accidentally do them unlike those two.

Futureman

TimmiT said:
Why would you buy a 360 for this game if it's also available for PC? http://store.steampowered.com/app/40800

Anyway, you can play it on your friend's Xbox 360 if you log into your own account, else you will only be able to play the trial version.

And the analog stick is much better for this game than the D-pad, so yes.

I have a Mac. I got frustrated waiting for the Mac version (sounds like it's coming soon now). Didn't want to have to boot into Windows everytime I wanted to play Meat Boy. Playing on a 40" HDTV is really nice as well as opposed to my 15" laptop.

and I said I "basically" got a 360 for the game. I already also got Limbo and Beautiful Katamari is on the way.

So I can just sign out my friend's Live account on his 360, log into mine, and then I can play Meat Boy with all my saved progress?

TimmiT

Futureman said:
So I can just sign out my friend's Live account on his 360, log into mine, and then I can play Meat Boy with all my saved progress?
If the save data is on the USB drive, I think so. You can also take out the hard drive out of your friend's Xbox 360 and put in yours and then you can sign in to your account. This is what I do when I want to play my XBLA games on my friend's Xbox 360.

You can also just sign into your account and download the game on your friend's Xbox, but you wouldn't be able to use your save.

Wool

I am pretty bitter about buying this game on Steam not knowing that the makers of the game intended for you to use a game pad. I've made it to chapter 5 so far, and just unlocked "the kid", but it seems like it would be so much easier with a controller instead of this keyboard. If they are going to put that screen at the beginning of the game saying shit like, "thumbs before fingers, live it" then tell me before I buy it! Do any of you guys use the keyboard?

Top Bottom