• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

eot

Banned
I don't have much love for anything Nintendo but this game is really good. The controls are a bit awkward by modern stanards IMO but you get used to them eventually. It's impressive how well some of the level design holds up.

FlyFaster

Worst thread subtitle ever. I don't even want to think about that game when Super Metroid is brought up.
1st post nails it.

Why sully the grandeur that is Super Metroid by forming such an unholy connection in the threads title? Better to forget forever and wipe it from out minds.

With that out of my system. Ya, day 1, hour 1.

Robin64

Thanks to being able to remap controls on the Wii U's Gamepad, I'm going to stick run on ZR, while L and R will remain aim down and aim up. This should remove any dodgy Super Metroid controls, I think!

nordique

Such an amazing game.

I held off playing it for years, but once I finally did, it became my favourite 2D game ever.

nordique

These low-scoring reviews literally makes me sick. 10/10, A+, would have sex with it, sounds about right.

I remember when EGM made it their "Best/Greatest game of all time" and people (including myself) at the time were like, "what? what the heck is a metroid?"

Then I played it.

And I understood. 10/10 is probably too low of a score for this game lol.

Jarnet87

Super Metroid on the Gamepad

rj4leb.gif

Turning on my system for the first time since Monster Hunter demo was out.

Eusis

That Gamespot review gave me literal cancer.

+ Loads of weapons and armor to collect, and plenty of aliens to shoot at
+ Colorful 16-bit graphics and somber music convey a spooky atmosphere
+ The smooth pacing means you're always collecting new items or facing new enemies
+ You'll feel compelled to play again after you've beaten it.

- Nintendo waited 13 years to let us play Super Metroid again.

Eh, I can see having trouble picking the right number for trying to fully re-review a decade+ old game, I always thought the 1up/Jeremy Parish approach was better. It's the Edge review that's more surreal, coming from 1994 and saying there would never be another SNES game that would leave you astonished at what you saw, before we saw the likes of DKC and FFVI/CT. Granted, this is a UK publication, but by citing Goemon 2 of all games the door is kicked open for imports.

Robin64

My face when I discovered you call walljump in the game -> o_O (I only have the cartridge, no manual.)

The amazing part about this is that you are taught in the game through a very specific scenario. It's masterfully done. No stupid modern message breaking the immersion here, no sir.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Can't tell if serious

Well if he won't have sex with it, I will.

I remember when EGM made it their "Best/Greatest game of all time" and people (including myself) at the time were like, "what? what the heck is a metroid?"

Then I played it.

And I understood. 10/10 is probably too low of a score for this game lol.

Deadly serious. No score is high enough for this masterpiece.

Rehynn

The amazing part about this is that you are taught in the game through a very specific scenario. It's masterfully done. No stupid modern message breaking the immersion here, no sir.

Yep, it's a wonderful way of teaching the player. I was like "Are they doing that because.... No, probably not... but there's no other way, so maybe if I try it like this... shiiiiit o_O"

Koodo

Banned
Title made me gag.

The ending of Super Metroid remains at the apex of emotional endings in video games. So much raw emotion and not a single word was said. When will your faves?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

It was pretty brilliant. Games don't need to beat you over the head with tutorials and dumb shit like that. I was 6 when I played through the game for the first time, and I figured it out fine. And it was so satisfying, becuase you feel like you figured out some amazing trick. So I'm inclined to believe that good design can be just as effective for teaching one how to play.

Fuckin' Super Metroid, man.

zroid

Banned
I wish Nintendo would think up more creative titles for their games. Just because it's on the Super NES doesn't mean every sequel needs to be deemed "Super".

Robin64

I wish Nintendo would think up more creative titles for their games. Just because it's on the Super NES doesn't mean every sequel needs to be deemed "Super".

Ah, but it's a double meaning here. It's not just Super Metroid because it's following the trend, that's only one reason. :)

Megatron

such a great game. Is there any way to buy this if you don't have a Wii U? I plan on getting one and would love to grab this super cheap.

If you have it on the Wii already it will only be $1.50 to get the WiiU version if you miss this sale. Otherwise no, if you don't have a WiiU by June 15 you can't buy this for $.30.

Paskil

How have some of these shitstain games managed 10's for their reviews in the past when this piece of absolute bliss scores lower?

Inconceivable.

Acerac

Banned

Shame Super Mario Brothers started a generation early on that naming convention.

I recently played through this for the first time.

Since everybody else has taken the time to describe the game's successes more thoroughly, let me just tell y'all that the first time I returned to the Wrecked Ship exterior from Maridia was a defining moment. I'd gotten the Space Jump just in time to explore the tops of Crateria in search of all its profound secrets. Entering hidden caves to find expansions and hazardous corridors, I began to understand how Samus must have felt exploring this planet in her youth. Even though the music triumphed over all, there was this melancholy underlining it, as if the sheer totality of the last Metroid kidnapped, taken straight to a resuscitating Zebes, meant for a collision between Samus and Ridley, the Chozo and the Space Pirates.

This game tells a simple story smartly, and it does that by simply having some of the best game mechanics, play environments, and aesthetic features to create a self-explanatory atmosphere. It's rare to find Nintendo games as challenging and replayable, too: only the Mario and F-Zero games come close enough for me. The immensity of Super Metroid explains why I love Metroid Prime, since they're essentially one and the same. Above all, there's little more enjoyable than taking the piss out of Lower Norfair, which I consider the crowning moment of the game. Magma hot enough to crisp the Gravity Suit, spaces both claustrophobic and hopelessly humongous, and the return of old enemies all sinks in like butter on an English biscuit.

Shit's gravy, guys.

Morfeo

Gamespot gave it an 8.5?! Makes that TP 8.8 seem a little blown outta proportion, right?

I still feel that was a bit low for TP. Even though it didnt quite live up to the hype, it is still one of the best designed games of this gen, with amazing level-design, fantastic bosses, and a fantastic visual style. Thirdbest 3D-Zelda imo, its just the fact that its standing on the shoulders of giants that make it seem lesser than it really is. IMO.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Is it really releasing on the 15th for 30 cents? I never played it, so I'll pee myself if true.

Morfeo

So guys, did the Wii U finally get its killer app? I sure as hell know that I would have bought a Wii U for this if I didnt already own both a Wii U and a Snes-cartridge.

I still feel that was a bit low for TP. Even though it didnt quite live up to the hype, it is still one of the best designed games of this gen, with amazing level-design, fantastic bosses, and a fantastic visual style. Thirdbest 3D-Zelda imo, its just the fact that its standing on the shoulders of giants that make it seem lesser than it really is. IMO.

I loved TP too...but it's not better than Super Metroid.

andymcc

Banned
i just beat this game on friday (original cart). i'll probably still buy it tomorrow and go through it again. lmao

Top Bottom