• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

Socreges

Banned
For you, you're most likely going in the right order. The game just makes you feel like your going in a random path but unless you know some advanced moves you're going exactly where the game wants you to go.
Yeah, this is what I was trying to say. Even with my recent walkthrough, where I hadn't played in years, I had the feeling that I was taking an entirely new path that I'd never done before, but it turned out it was once again the "invisible hand" leading me along.

Yeah, this is what I was trying to say. Even with my recent walkthrough, where I hadn't played in years, I had the feeling that I was taking an entirely new path that I'd never done before, but it turned out it was once again the "invisible hand" leading me along.
The magic of fantastic game design.

nkarafo

The first thing that came in my mind when i got the power bombs was
"hey maybe that thing is powerful enough to break that glass tube". I thought it was obvious that the tube was going to break at some point, somehow. It was a GLASS tube, there was this teasing platform above it and the map pretty much told you that there is something there

I guess I'm just approaching this game differently because I don't have any nostalgia for it. I kinda just wanted to casually play through it just to see what all the fuss was about. Feeling lost simply isn't fun to me. Exploring is fun, being "stuck" sucks. At this point I'm just grinding my teeth and hoping it ends soon...

popyea

Wow, the ending for this game had me grinning from ear to ear. Now I know why it's so iconic.

This game is unreal. Having played the Prime games first, it amazed me how similar this game feels. That atmosphere, sense of discovery and pacing are what made me fall in love with the Prime trilogy, and now I know exactly where it all originated from.

I also liked that I didn't feel the need to use a walkthrough in this game. I tend to lose my bearings in Prime's 3d maps, and usually check a walkthrough whenever I'm unsure of where to go. But the 2d map in this game made that much more manageable. Only checked a walkthrough twice;
once to beat crocomire and another to powerbomb the glass tube in meridia.

nkarafo

I guess I'm just approaching this game differently because I don't have any nostalgia for it. I kinda just wanted to casually play through it just to see what all the fuss was about. Feeling lost simply isn't fun to me. Exploring is fun, being "stuck" sucks. At this point I'm just grinding my teeth and hoping it ends soon...
And now its about nostalgia... In this 30 page topic, more and more people claim that they never player SM before, yet they love it and justify its praise. Same thing happened with a few friends of mine who played this thing on Emulators a few years back and now are fans of the series.

Stop trying to prove there is something wrong with this game. Its just not for you.

Socreges

Banned
Trying reading even just a bit of this thread. Dozens of people have been posting impressions of their first-ever playthrough, and have called it a masterpiece, amazing, etc.

Maybe a game with this sort of challenge isn't for you. But the rest of us aren't therefore blinded by nostalgia.

nkarafo

Exploring is fun, being "stuck" sucks. At this point I'm just grinding my teeth and hoping it ends soon...
The punishment for an action game, when you aren't very good, is that you lose your character's life.
The punishment for a racing game, when you can't control your car properly, is that you can't finish 1st place.
The punishment for a game about exploration, when you don't have some navigating skills, is getting lost.

Exploring means there is a chance to get lost and that chance becomes bigger if your skills are lower. If you could just breeze through the game without using your navigating skills, then we wouldn't talk about a non-linear game about exploration. SM gives you enough clues to get through but it also requires some navigation. So maybe this game is too hard for you?

Stop trying to prove there is something wrong with this game. Its just not for you.

That's what I've been doing? You're the one who seems to be getting offended that I don't like it.

That said, I'd love for someone to explain to me how the jumping mechanics of this game aren't complete crap. That's the only aspect of the game that I feel is empirically poor.

nkarafo

That's what I've been doing? You're the one who seems to be getting offended that I don't like it.
No, its because you try to put the blame on the game design when the problem is clearly your skills with this particular game.

That said, I'd love for someone to explain to me how the jumping mechanics of this game aren't complete crap. That's the only aspect of the game that I feel is empirically poor.
Well, you can control and change Samus direction in mid air. And she jumps high enough so you have time. And she doesn't slip when she lands.

LOL, thanks Napolean Dynamite. If the problem is my "skills" then so be it, but I highly doubt that's the case. There's nothing skillful about having to bomb a random metal wall -- no contextual clues, just the metal-ass wall in the elevator room to the right of the glass tube. You've gotta admit that's kind of silly.

nkarafo

LOL, thanks Napolean Dynamite. If the problem is my "skills" then so be it, but I highly doubt that's the case. There's nothing skillful about having to bomb a random metal wall -- no contextual clues, just the metal-ass wall in the elevator room to the right of the glass tube. You've gotta admit that's kind of silly.
I'm not sure if its the same place you are talking about but if i remember correctly, the map gave you a hint that there is something on the other side of the room, no?

Super_Metroid_Walkthrough_Brinstar_Elevator_Room_Kraid.png

This room?

Socreges

Banned
I'm not sure if its the same place you are talking about but if i remember correctly, the map gave you a hint that there is something on the other side of the room, no?

This room?
That's the room he was talking about.

Maybe Baller never got the map information. But that would also be his fault.

Not to mention that the right wall in that room, on its own, looks suspicious (upper half is a tube, lower half is three blocks).

This room?

Yea, that room.. There are plenty of rooms that have other rooms on the other side that you can't bomb through though (like you have to go around). I wasted like 2 hours running around before I broke down and looked it up online. I hate looking things up. =/

Kangi

I only ever ran into a "really, I was supposed to just randomly shoot a block?" issue in
the first room in the Kraid area where you have to shoot the grate specifically right in front of the door

When hunting collectibles, though? Oh, yeah. Some of them are just randomly placed in a wall or ceiling block and it's silly.

Socreges

Banned
Yea, that room.. There are plenty of rooms that have other rooms on the other side that you can't bomb through though (like you have to go around). I wasted like 2 hours running around before I broke down and looked it up online. I hate looking things up. =/
That room, though... the map tells you that there's something on the other side. So if you didn't take that as a clue to try bombing the wall, you only have yourself to blame.

Socreges

Banned
I only ever ran into a "really, I was supposed to just randomly shoot a block?" issue in
the first room in the Kraid area where you have to shoot the grate specifically right in front of the door
Well, you're given two environmental clues in that room (blue map to the right, plus the 'dead' door), so I don't know if that's a great example either. :p

nkarafo

The difference with this room is that it doesn't seem there is another way around. The only thing that connects is that elevator room. It just teases you to break the wall.

Kangi

Well, you're given two environmental clues in that room (blue map to the right, plus the 'dead' door), so I don't know if that's a great example either. :p

Well, obviously I knew there was SOME way out but the "only one part of the floor is breakable and there's no indication of which" is kind of silly. =p I kept backtracking to see if I missed some kind of switch that would pull back the grating or something. Nope, just didn't shoot the right part.

But as I said, that's the only part I ever had trouble with. The game does well to give you hints even if some are too subtle for some people, and that was the only part that just sorta devolved into "shoot things randomly" for me. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go grab a random Energy Tank disguised as a random ceiling block in a nondescript room.

FlyFaster

It's funny you say this. I know that feel man, it sucks. The very first time I played this game I rented it as a kid. I got stuck and hated it. Didn't play it again until years later. Now I love it. But ya, getting stuck is never fun. It par for the course in exploration based games.

beta_fuse

Finally got around to beating this for the first time the other day. I gotta say it really is an amazing game. Best 30 cent purchase ever.

I've finally got around to playing this. I never played much SNES stuff back in the day. My young mind was a fan of all the licence based games on the Genesis. I did try this game once upon a time, though. I thought it was lame I couldn't take the ship into space and shoot aliens...haha

I love the sense of adventure, exploring, and just trying to figure things out. I've realized not saving tends to bite you in the ass.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Well, goddamn. After years of playing and re-playing, I finally realized that to wall-jump consistently, all you had to do was press the (opposite) direction you're jumping to ever so slightly before pressing jump--my problem was that I would do this by "accident", when in reality I was always trying to press them simultaneously. It's a particular timing, but once its down, you are set. I was always a mediocre wall-jumper, using it only as needed (which is what, the one spot where the little alien dude teaches you?). But now I can finally try and navigate at will to see what I can do ahead of time/out of order, plus now I can mess with some of the harder hacks that make you wall-jump. The game just keeps giving.

Oh, as for hacks, I've been playing one called Super Zero Mission. I tried it because apparently its a reasonable sort of difficult that doesn't rely on the higher-level techniques to get around. It's really been awesome so far.

Someone help! How many missiles does it take to kill Ridley?

I've unloaded 30 Super Missiles and 117 missiles into his body and he still wouldn't die. I don't think I can beat him.

Psxphile

Someone help! How many missiles does it take to kill Ridley?

I've unloaded 30 Super Missiles and 117 missiles into his body and he still wouldn't die. I don't think I can beat him.

I never counted. If (IF) I ever ran out of ammo during the fight I just start blasting him with Charge Beam shots until he bites it. Also, doesn't the fight near the end require you to be caught in his claws at least once before he'll go down? I see to recall someone saying something like that.

iirate

I never counted. If (IF) I ever ran out of ammo during the fight I just start blasting him with Charge Beam shots until he bites it. Also, doesn't the fight near the end require you to be caught in his claws at least once before he'll go down? I see to recall someone saying something like that.

Not quite. After dropping to zero health, he'll lunge at you to try and grab you one last time. However, regardless of whether he catches you or not, he dies without dealing further damage to Samus.

FlyFaster

Well, goddamn. After years of playing and re-playing, I finally realized that to wall-jump consistently, all you had to do was press the (opposite) direction you're jumping to ever so slightly before pressing jump--my problem was that I would do this by "accident", when in reality I was always trying to press them simultaneously. It's a particular timing, but once its down, you are set. I was always a mediocre wall-jumper, using it only as needed (which is what, the one spot where the little alien dude teaches you?). But now I can finally try and navigate at will to see what I can do ahead of time/out of order, plus now I can mess with some of the harder hacks that make you wall-jump. The game just keeps giving.

Oh, as for hacks, I've been playing one called Super Zero Mission. I tried it because apparently its a reasonable sort of difficult that doesn't rely on the higher-level techniques to get around. It's really been awesome so far.

speaking of hacks/mods I really hope that AM2R gets done soon.
http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/

bigbannerV2.png

andthebeatgoeson

The punishment for an action game, when you aren't very good, is that you lose your character's life.
The punishment for a racing game, when you can't control your car properly, is that you can't finish 1st place.
The punishment for a game about exploration, when you don't have some navigating skills, is getting lost.

Exploring means there is a chance to get lost and that chance becomes bigger if your skills are lower. If you could just breeze through the game without using your navigating skills, then we wouldn't talk about a non-linear game about exploration. SM gives you enough clues to get through but it also requires some navigation. So maybe this game is too hard for you?

Like this idea. Makes sense.

Want to complain, tho. I just moved and had my Wii U packed up since May 11th. Just had a chance to put it together but I thought I could buy this for 30 cents. Nope. Nope nopenopenopenope. It's 8 bucks. Not terrible but I can find some AAA games from the past 10 years on Steam for $10. Fucking shit. Damn, they need a way to buy your games on the PC.

Finally finished the game after about 12 hours. Thank goodness for save states, the game would have been unbearable without them. When it's all said and done I ended up enjoying my time with Super Metroid, but the controls are still annoying even after getting used to them. The complete lack of any direction whatsoever was no fun either. I had to look up how to "space jump" on YouTube. Not surprising given the games release date, but to act as if it hasn't aged poorly (in this regard) is kind of silly.

I've now started Metroid Fusion on the 3DS VS. Much better. Fuck me, so much better. I do miss the Wii U's save states, but eh, I can tell that Fusion had a much more modern design philosophy so I don't think it will be an issue. Not being able to modify my button mapping is inexcusable though. WTF, Nintendo?

Super Metroid spoiler

Why did the giant Metroid help Samus at the end? And what IS a Metroid, anyway? This game sure didn't care to explain itself.

Robin64

Super Metroid spoiler

Why did the giant Metroid help Samus at the end? And what IS a Metroid, anyway? This game sure didn't care to explain itself.

That Metroid hatched when Samus was on SR388 to destroy the Metroids and saw her as its mother. Because it was friendly, Samus spared it and took it to the space station. At the end, the Metroid, now the Super Metroid, recognises Samus.

As for what a Metroid is, well, they are creatures that can siphon an undetectable life energy from various life forms. As such, as they are highly sought after either as weapons or power sources. Usually weapons.

eot

Banned

I played it for the first time this year and I was lukewarm on it until I finished it and started a second playthrough and now it's one of my favourite games (I have ZERO Nintendo nostalgia or fanboyism btw). Yes, the jumping controls can take a long time to get used to and they were by far my biggest issue with the game. If you master them they work quite well, but before that point the game can be very frustrating. Even if it doesn't kill you missing those precise platform jumps, or getting eaten by the plat thing gets annoying.

Same with getting stuck. Being lost and having to explore is fun to a point, but actually being stuck is not fun considering the time it can take to get from one place to another. If that happens just look up what you have to do. The thing is, if you beat the game and become more comfortable with the controls you still probably won't have found even half the things in the game, so there's a lot to do in a 2nd playthrough where you won't get as frustrated.

edit: I saw you actually beat the game. Well I recommend a 2nd playthrough sometime, like I said it's way more fun when you're more proficient at the game.

Kard8p3

Whoever is in charge of keeping record of the top times/percentages, my best so far is 1:17 on a 100% run:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAADMUKlXiPfnjQ

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAADOUV51cpxxoA

Looking forward to whoever can beat this. :D I'm taking a little break myself, but will play again soon.

NNID: Tehalemi

I also have room for more friends if anyone feels like adding me. :3

When I get a Wii U I'm going to see if I can't beat this. When I was at my best my time was 1:23 so I hope with some practice I can shave off some of that time.

vladdamad

Finally got around to playing this, started numerous times over the years and got lost. This time I'm determined to make it through. Fantastic game, really enjoying it. A small question (not sure if I'm meant to spoiler tag this stuff, but I'm gonna do it anyway) - I'm currently in
Lower Norfair
about to fight
Ridley
, so I assume I'm fairly close to the end. Unfortunately, I realised that I'm not really equipped to fight the boss - I have 8 energy tanks and getting whipped pretty much every time. I wanted to go back and explore some more, find some more upgrades, but the room from which I came in is blocked off - it's
filled with lava, from the bit where you have to use screw attack. It's a massive room full of space pirates
. Am I being a bit thick or is there no way of currently getting around that room to the rest of Zebes? I don't mind starting again, in fact, that's what I'll probably do as soon as I beat it, but I would like to be able to finish this run first.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I think you can still get out of there, there should be a shortcut in a different room. You have to walk through a wall, as far as I remember.

vladdamad

I think you can still get out of there, there should be a shortcut in a different room. You have to walk through a wall, as far as I remember.

OK thanks, I'll check it out. Just wanted to make sure there's a way out before spending hours trying to find an exit where there isn't one. Will be good to get some more energy tanks before the ending.

Playing this for the first time today, enjoying it so far, I like that it's just straight to the point. I did get stuck not realising I could run holding b, damn blocks kept disappearing. Also, orange doors?

devonodev

Playing this for the first time today, enjoying it so far, I like that it's just straight to the point. I did get stuck not realising I could run holding b, damn blocks kept disappearing. Also, orange doors?
Good luck! Don't worry, you're definitely not the first person to get stuck not knowing how to Run.

Red Scarlet

Hopefully y'all had fun. I played again earlier this month to mark the 10th anniversary of my :55 run...got 1:19 though (missed both missiles above Tourian at the same time so had to go back up and around).

Top Bottom