• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

iidesuyo

Just finished it. 83% in around 7 hours.

A very good game, but not perfect. The gameplay was driving me insane at times, and the music, while excellent, became a bit repetitive. But that's okay, one cannot put an infinite amount of music into a 3 MegaByte cartridge.

My score: a healthy 8.5 out of 10. And no, I'm not braindead like some some other user suggested.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night took this game and perfected it in every way.

Natetan

There's a lot of truth in this. That being said, Super Metroid just has an "X" factor that makes it a little but better to me.

They are both fantastic games in their own way. I don't think either is better than the other.

Super Meteoid just has a gorgeous aesthetic, every area has a great feel to it.

oatmeal

Banned
I'm playing through Zero Mission now...there's no way that it's better than Super Metroid.

The overworld and progression is all over the place.

The gameplay is tight as balls, though.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

A very good game, but not perfect. The gameplay was driving me insane at times, and the music, while excellent, became a bit repetitive. But that's okay, one cannot put an infinite amount of music into a 3 MegaByte cartridge.

My score: a healthy 8.5 out of 10. And no, I'm not braindead like some some other user suggested.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night took this game and perfected it in every way.

Those are some bold fucking statements, and I disagree with like all of them. Kinda.

I dunno. I can't decide if I like Super Metroid or SOTN more... they put enough emphasis on different things that it's really tough for me to choose a victor.

Does not compute. SOTN had a lot more in it and is one of my favorite games, but SOTN suffers from long open corridor level design and slow pacing, let alone leveling up made the game insanely easy. Also the
reverse castle
got old after the 3rd area (with repeating background music............) and certain abilites/upgrades seemed only to be put in the game to remove one obstacle and lose its value after that (spike breaking armor, and the mist until you get the poison version).

Natetan

I'm playing through Zero Mission now...there's no way that it's better than Super Metroid.

I thought zero mission was pretty good. I like the new speed boost mechanics, music was good, and the final area was kind of a cool addition. Good for a remake I thought.

I also like super more though.

iidesuyo

Those are some bold fucking statements, and I disagree with like all of them. Kinda.

I dunno. I can't decide if I like Super Metroid or SOTN more... they put enough emphasis on different things that it's really tough for me to choose a victor.

Does not compute. SOTN had a lot more in it and is one of my favorite games, but SOTN suffers from long open corridor level design and slow pacing, let alone leveling up made the game insanely easy. Also the reverse castle got old after the 3rd area (with repeating background music............) and certain abilites/upgrades seemed only to be put in the game to remove one obstacle and lose its value after that (spike breaking armor, and the mist until you get the poison version).

I played SM for the first time somewhere ~1995, but didn't get far. I remember that I was impressed by the voice acting (two sentences only, but that was the cartridge era) and the atmosphere. Then I got stuck and had to return the game.

Castlevania SotN blew me completely away:

--> many, very dinstinctive areas; I could easily point out where the library or chapel is while I had no clue where to go when looking at the SM map
--> AWESOME, very veried, CD quality soundtrack that didn't loop after 40 seconds or so
--> better gameplay than SM
--> voice acting
--> a story

Well, that's my opinion. Super Metroid is a very good game but nowhere as good as SotN. The feeling of getting lost is regarded as being something great, to me it was a little bit too much.

Davey Cakes

Zero Mission probably isn't as good as Super Metroid but it's pretty damn close in certain areas. The gameplay was tight and I loved the updated soundtrack. Pretty solid world design too, which is mostly faithful to the original game but really throws a nice twist on things.

The worst thing about it was probably the unnecessary hint system, which basically says "go to this area" and you can't turn it off. Would be more satisfying to find your way there yourself. But, hell, it's a million times better than Fusion's approach.

I'm Super Metroided out, but I would absolutely kill for another game like Zero Mission.

nkarafo

--> many, very dinstinctive areas; I could easily point out where the library or chapel is while I had no clue where to go when looking at the SM map
--> AWESOME, very veried, CD quality soundtrack that didn't loop after 40 seconds or so
--> better gameplay than SM
--> voice acting
--> a story
I love both SM and SOTN and i respect your opinion but:

I could also easily point where each area in Super Metroid is. In fact its even easier because the map is splitted in areas like Norfair, Crateria, etc and you can choose to browse each map individually.

Both soundtracks are awesome. Super Metroid's Soundtrack is perfect for its setting. I agree about the not so good sound quality though.

Better gameplay than SM? In SM the level design and balance is better. The maximum "level" Samus can reach is when you get all the items. You can't get stronger than that and the game is designed around a possible fully upgraded Samus. In SOTN you can grind endlessly until you become way too powerful. Both games are great but SOTN can be a grind fest. And some items are just overpowered too.

Voice acting? Why would SM need voice acting when you are supposed to be alone on a hostile planet? Who is there to speak to? The game is about isolation, not about conversations. OtherM proved that voice acting can also totally ruin the fragile Metroid atmosphere. And really, the voice acting in SOTN is cheesy and silly at best.

A Story? Both games have a story. Just because a game doesn't have conversations and NPCs to talk to, or cut scenes, it doesn't mean it can't have a story. And Super Metroid in particular has a great story too. The last part was amazing and kind of emotional too, without having to resort in chatter and talky parts. Sometimes, less is more. Its called subtlety.

I love both SM and SOTN and i respect your opinion but:

I could also easily point where each area in Super Metroid is. In fact its even easier because the map is splitted in areas like Norfair, Crateria, etc and you can choose to browse each map individually.

Both soundtracks are awesome. Super Metroid's Soundtrack is perfect for its setting. I agree about the not so good sound quality though.

Better gameplay than SM? In SM the level design and balance is better. The maximum "level" Samus can reach is when you get all the items. You can't get stronger than that and the game is designed around a possible fully upgraded Samus. In SOTN you can grind endlessly until you become way too powerful. Both games are great but SOTN can be a grind fest. And some items are overpowered by themselves too.

Voice acting? Why would SM need voice acting when you are supposed to be alone on a hostile planet? Who is there to speak to? The game is about isolation, not about conversations. OtherM proved that voice acting can also totally ruin the fragile Metroid atmosphere. And really, the voice acting in SOTN is cheesy and silly at best.

A Story? Both games have a story. Just because a game doesn't have conversations and NPCs to talk to, or cut scenes, it doesn't mean it can't have a story. And Super Metroid in particular has a great story too. The last part was amazing and kind of emotional too, without having to resort in chatter and talky parts. Sometimes, less is more. Its called subtlety.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

And your post is even better when I imagine Samus, in your avatar, speaking it aloud as a soliloquy.

iidesuyo

I found that more difficult because I like a general overview better.

Yes it is great. I would have loved to see that game on the unreleased SNES CD "PlayStation". I blame the limitations on the cartridge system.

Better gameplay that SM? In SM the balance is perfect. The maximum "level" Samus can reachis when you get all the items. You can't get stronger than that and the game is designed around a possible fully upgraded Samus.

Personal opinion again, but no. Without the VC Quick Save I would have gotten insane at some parts. I'm not a bad player, but also not a super-pro, and some jumping sequences frustrated me so hard.

In SOTN you can grind endlessly until you become way too powerful. Both games are great but SOTN can be a grind fest. And some items are overpowered by themselves too.

You CAN. Ever tried Richter Mode?

Cannot argue with that. Never played Other M by the way... actually Super Metroid is the only Metroid I ever finished.

nkarafo

Without the VC Quick Save I would have gotten insane at some parts.
I could only argue with this. I never played SM with quick saves and thinking of it i can only imagine how easy it would be. You also lose much of the tension. I remember how relieved i was every time i was near my space ship. I felt "safe". I also felt safe near save stations. The feeling that you are getting away from these safe zones in order to explore a dangerous unknown place was one of the things that made the game a bit scary at times. And i liked that. With quick saves there is no sense of danger.

And personally, i didn't find the game that hard. I don't know if i'm a better player than you but i found it a bit on the easy side. Maybe because i played the original Metroid and Metroid 2, both harder games, especially the original NES Metroid. And i don't get what was wrong with the jumping. It wasn't like the game was a platformer with tricky jumping parts. And you can fully control Samus in mid-air as if she is flying for a short time. And the "wall jump" (the trickiest move) isn't mandatory either. You can finish the game without using it once.

iidesuyo

And personally, i didn't find the game that hard. I don't know if i'm a better player than you but i found it a bit on the easy side. Maybe because i played the original Metroid and Metroid 2, both harder games, especially the original NES Metroid. And i don't get what was wrong with the jumping. It wasn't like the game was a platformer with tricky jumping parts. And you can fully control Samus in mid-air as if she is flying for a short time. And the "wall jump" (the trickiest move) isn't mandatory either. You can finish the game without using it once.

Maybe I'm too stupid or don't have the patience. Sometimes the Space Jump worked sometimes it didn't. Sometimes I could control the character well during the jump, sometimes I couldn't. Wall Jump... I gave up on that very soon.

I never felt that my skills were improving, and too often I felt the poor gamplay was the reason for failing. That's unlike the Miyamoto games; in NSMB U have the feeling that I fail because of my lack of skills but not because of the controls.

Because you probably played it before (edit) SotN?

I'm sure that's part of it, I'm as vulnerable to nostalgia as anyone. But I think there are a few legit differences I prefer:

• The utterly vast inventory in SOTN, and the number of rare items there are to find, drives me crazy - I have to find every last one. So I love that in a way, but it's more compulsory which is kinda exhausting after a while. By comparison I like how straightforward Super Metroid is.
  • I think SOTN is uneven in places, and is an inconsistent experience overall. I prefer Super Metroid's smaller but more focused, even experience. The analogy I'd use is: Super Metroid had a better editor, there's no unnecessary bullshit left in it, and everything "flows". Not always the case with SOTN.
  • The difficulty curve is superior in Super Metroid: starts simple and gradually builds to the end. SOTN starts a little challenging, much of the mid game is about right but by the last quarter or so, nothing poses a threat to you anymore.

For the record, I adore both games.

nubbe

Been about 18 years since I played it last
Next run I should get justin bailey

zlCfzQ_3pgUNMjTRcj

zlCfzQ_3p4EQAttFhh

I've just got the Power Bombs and feel like I might have accidentally broken sequence because I haven't met Crocomire yet and I feel like I should have by now. At any rate I'm enjoying it hugely, much more than I did the first time through back in the day. I went through a big shift in my tastes since I first played it and it's allowed me to appreciate it a lot more. What previously seemed meandering and wilfully obscure is now atmospheric and intricate. It's rewarding finding the right path when you've only got environmental cues to help you, rather than a big blinking dot saying "go here".

Spades

Somehow, this has been the first time I've ever played Super Metroid and I have to say that it's been one of the best gaming experiences that I've had recently. It's easily my most played game this year.

Fantastic game. To state the now obvious.

Gave this another shot, it was pretty fun for a while. I still don't see how people think this is better than SOTN though. The jumping is just asinine. I also don't remember ever being "stuck" in SOTN, and after 3 hours or so of Super Metroid I have no idea how to progress. Not fun.

So I started up Other M to continue my Metroid kick. The game is still quite good (doesn't touch SM of course) but HOLY SHIT THE STORY PARTS ARE WORSE THAN I REMEMBER! FUCK!

How did it not bother me this much the first time around? It's horrendous.

Socreges

Banned
Gave this another shot, it was pretty fun for a while. I still don't see how people think this is better than SOTN though. The jumping is just asinine. I also don't remember ever being "stuck" in SOTN, and after 3 hours or so of Super Metroid I have no idea how to progress. Not fun.
I was wondering why your username looked familiar. Then I remembered:

Played this for 10 minutes, died after not being able to outrun the ship blowing up, quit.

Would have been mind-blowing in 1994 though.
SOTN 4 LYFE
Yer funny.

But really, we can help you progress if you'd like. There's normally something that was overlooked.

I looked I up, I didn't realize that bombing random walls was a required gameplay mechanic (thought it was just for secrets). Now I'm trying to best the giant ass green boss dude. I feel like I'm doing this out of order. Meh.

Socreges

Banned
I looks I up, I didn't realize that bombing random walls was a required gameplay mechanic (thought it was just for secrets). Now I'm trying to best the giant ass green boss dude. I feel like I'm doing this out of order...
Even with the secrets, there are almost always environmental clues. A certain room or corner or wall may look out of place or pointless... normally a good indication that there's something there.

And during my first playthrough, the sensation that I didn't know if I was following the 'proper' order was one of the reasons that it was such a cool experience.

Even with the secrets, there are almost always environmental clues. A certain room or corner or wall may look out of place or pointless... normally a good indication that there's something there.

And during my first playthrough, the sensation that I didn't know if I was following the 'proper' order was one of the reasons that it was such a cool experience.

Ah, I hate that feeling. I don't like wasting time in games, and it seems like Super Metroid is punishing me for not using a strategy guide. Lots of 90's games did that.

Socreges

Banned
Ah, I hate that feeling. I don't like wasting time in games, and it seems like Super Metroid is punishing me for not using a strategy guide. Lots of 90's games did that.
Nah, SM doesn't require a guide. I can't think of one true instance (in order to complete the game, not get 100%) where you could ask, 'How is the player supposed to know about that?', but I'm open to persuasion.

I like exploration, it just seems like Super Metroid does a shitty job of gating you out of areas you have no business being in yet.
Example?

For you, you're most likely going in the right order. The game just makes you feel like your going in a random path but unless you know some advanced moves you're going exactly where the game wants you to go.

Aside from that
one Super Missile block and arguably, the glass tunnel,
everything should be fairly straightforward.

Top Bottom