• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

TAS

I'm so pissed right now. My Wii U did a system update and for some reason it erased my Super Metroid save file. :( Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm so pissed right now. My Wii U did a system update and for some reason it erased my Super Metroid save file. :( Has this happened to anyone else?

No such issue here.

Just beat SM for the first time ever. 5:36 and collected 68% of items. Very fun, glad I finally experienced it.

Jawmuncher

Finally got the speed boost.
Had to take a break after that though, have been playing longer than I thought.
Had to use save state a few times, but screw it not like the game becomes less enjoyae without it.

Daingurse

Had to use save state a few times, but screw it not like the game becomes less enjoyae without it.

yesjacknicholson.gif

Fuck it, that's what I say. Do what you gotta do.

Played this for 10 minutes, died after not being able to outrun the ship blowing up, quit.

Would have been mind-blowing in 1994 though.
SOTN 4 LYFE

nkarafo

Played this for 10 minutes, died after not being able to outrun the ship blowing up, quit.
Wow, i never heard of someone dying there except those who do it on purpose. And quitting after that? Well, its your loss.

SOTN exists because of Super Metroid.

As much as I liked to get 100% legit, I just couldn't help but do the Space Time Beam to reset every thing and start with almost all items. Good to see it still works :D

El Sloth

Banned

Would have been mind-blowing in 1994 though.
SOTN 4 LYFE
I don't understand how this is possible. They give you tons of time to get out.

I'm mindfucked.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Recently finished this. Now I got the itch. I'm tempted to tackle a 100 percent run, but I think the simplest thing to do would be to get some more Metroid games.

HoJu

but it becomes a hell of a lot less tense.

spliced

I really enjoyed the boss fights, they have just about the perfect difficulty level for me. Plus the end of the Crocomire fight is just so awesome. One of my gaming pet peeves is these endless boss fights where the boss looks like he's done but he just changes form and you have to beat him again. So that Crocomire fake out ended up being one of my favorite parts of the game.

Jawmuncher

but it becomes a hell of a lot less tense.

Might be true but being my first go at it fully and down in the lava platforming section with 20 health and nothing to farm and ignorantly not having saved it for awhile I had to do it.
I still use actually save chambers and the like but in situations like that i'll be doing it the first time through.

Woo, I actually beat this without savestates back on the OG Wii. Feel special now. I'll definitely be using them when I play Metroid 1/Zelda 1 though, fuck that noise.

HoJu

Might be true but being my first go at it fully and down in the lava platforming section with 20 health and nothing to farm and ignorantly not having saved it for awhile I had to do it.
I still use actually save chambers and the like but in situations like that i'll be doing it the first time through.
i mean if you are enjoying it more by using it, then go right ahead.
just don't rely on it too much :p

In the next Metroid, I want this song while I'm scanning and just exploring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5G6FX1zKNFw#t=9s

So everyone who just finished SM, name three things you'd like to see in a new Metroid. I really want a bigger world, I love the level design in SM and would love to see that blown up. We have the new Tomb Raider and Arkham Asylum take from Metroid and put it on an island, now I want Metroid on a larger world with roaming non-violent wildlife and weather changes.

What if you go back to basics, a developer is handed a smaller budget to create three to five hours of gameplay ($10-15 dollar game) and is like the first Alien movie, the main inspiration for Metroid, where it's all about Samus and Ridley. Kinda like Amnesia, this terrifying dance between a woman and monster. Ridley possibly boards the ship with pirates, eating human flesh.

nkarafo

Every time I'd try and jump the ship would move and I'd fall back down the tube. Jumping mechanics are wonky as fuck in this game.
No they are not. And really, jumping on the platforms as the ship moves is extremely easy and requires no "advanced skills". Its a basic platformer thing. It seems you are the only person stuck there. Maybe something is wrong with your controller? Or you haven't seen moving platforms in a game before?

Who cares, console games exist because of arcade games too. Doesn't mean arcade games are inherently better.
Not the same analogy. SOTN shares the exact same design as Super Metroid. SOTN is like Super Metroid with RPG elements (hence the "Metroidvania" term). But apparently you don't know that because you haven't played Super Metroid beyond its intro/tutorial. Too bad because you would find a game just as good, if not better than SOTN which you seem to love so much.

Socreges

Banned
He's right, though. Super Metroid isn't better because it's the reason why SoTN exists.

Super Metroid is better because it's actually better.

They each have their separate strengths, though, and are really very different. SOTN puts its creativity into the combat whereas Metroid is all about exploration.

Natetan

No they are not. And really, jumping on the platforms as the ship moves is extremely easy and requires no "advanced skills". Its a basic platformer thing. It seems you are the only person stuck there. Maybe something is wrong with your controller? Or you haven't seen moving platforms in a game before?

Not the same analogy. SOTN shares the exact same design as Super Metroid. SOTN is like Super Metroid with RPG elements (hence the "Metroidvania" term). But apparently you don't know that because you haven't played Super Metroid beyond its intro/tutorial. Too bad because you would find a game just as good, if not better than SOTN which you seem to love so much.

Frankly I love the floaty jumping in Super Metroid. Yeah sure the special weapon select is not the best, but it's not that bad. Everything else about the controls is pretty great I think.

Zero mission did build on the shinespark and make it even cooler, but its still so awesome in Super Metroid.

tsab

Thank god for savestates. I screwed up with the 3min. timer in the end and I had 24secs to reach my spaceship 2 doors away. It took me 15 tries but I made it in the end, with 0.5 seconds to spare!!!

first time reaching the end btw.

Jackano

Be sure your save isn't located elsewhere than your game; for example on an unplugged external HDD.

Jucksalbe

Banned
After so much Super Metroid I finally found the motivation to play through Other M. It really is as bad as people say. I hope they never let Team Ninja touch the franchise again and simply consider this a failed experiment.

Dai101

Banned
After so much Super Metroid I finally found the motivation to play through Other M. It really is as bad as people say. I hope they never let Team Ninja touch the franchise again and simply consider this a failed experiment.

It's most sakamoto's fault than TN

Natetan

I watched a lets play on YouTube and had mixed feelings about it. Way too much dialogue with some military people. I thought samus came across as a whimp. She's a bounty hunter not some drippy emotional mess. She should have been tougher even if she had all that stuff happen to her.

Plus authorizing bomb and missle use seemed dumb. She's a bounty hunter, since when does she follow the rules.

I did like the move away from first person perspective. I can never play the prime series because of that.

Natetan

Motion sickness?
The bad thing is, you're still running around in a 3D world, which makes the controls very awkward.

Maybe its motion sickness, I just never feel right playing in that perspective. Was so disappointed when the camera zoomed into samus HUD after the opening FMV.

I didn't actually play other m so it sucks if the controls are awkward.

Maybe its motion sickness, I just never feel right playing in that perspective. Was so disappointed when the camera zoomed into samus HUD after the opening FMV.

I didn't actually play other m so it sucks if the controls are awkward.

The first Prime game was known to cause motion sickness in certain individuals, myself included. They fixed it after that though. Corruption is like silk.

R-User!

Some people enjoy the challenge of learning and mastering these techniques, which as was already pointed out, are mostly not necessary to complete the game. So while making these techniques easier would please some, others would view it as dumbing the game down and lose interest.

Look at it like this, if these techniques were easier you would do a second play-through, but I wouldn't. However, as the game is currently designed, you won't play it a second time, but lots of us have played it countless times because we find that challenge rewarding. Developers are making games easier and easier to the point where they are completely disposable; I for one am glad that games like Super Metroid exist.

IOW, we like "hard" games?

nkarafo

The first Prime game was known to cause motion sickness in certain individuals, myself included. They fixed it after that though. Corruption is like silk.
I don't get it. Both games have similar engines, similar controls and similar movement. Also, both games are silky smooth 60fps. How come one cause motion sickness and the other don't?

The only difference i can think of is the aspect ratio (Wii games are more recent so chances are you played Corruption on a widescreen TV) but doesn't Prime 1 also support widescreen as well?

Top Bottom