• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like NamcoBandai just trademarked another SRW title: Super Robot Taisen Tengoku-hen.

The upcoming Z game is Jigoku-hen, so maybe (probably) this new trademark is for the next part? Jigoku means "hell" while Tengoku means "heaven".

CorvoSol

What are the odds they announce new titles for the next game? Like Did Z2.2 have new titles or did it just wrap up everything started in Z2.1?

Shouta

What are the odds they announce new titles for the next game? Like Did Z2.2 have new titles or did it just wrap up everything started in Z2.1?

Somewhat unlikely but a possibility if they wanted to. Hakai and Saisei technically split up the two seasons of some of the shows so that could possibly count for a "new" series.

Bebpo

Banned

Z2-2 had two completely new series:
-Tetsujin 28
-Macross 7

But that low number was also because they counted continuations as new series:
-Gundam OO S2
-Code Geass R2
-Mac F Movie 2
-Gurren Lagann Movie 2
-More Votoms

So technically it had like 7 "new" series

Z3-2 isn't going to have that many continuation bullet points:
-Eva 3.33
-Probably more Votoms (cause Votoms is so damn cheap for them to keep putting in since hardly any new animations, just sprite swaps and modified sprites)
-Possibly may count Unicorn ep7 as a seperate "series" since it's a theatrical release (this is lame, but w/e)

So there should be at least 3-4 additional series added, Diebuster is pretty much confirmed since it could be counted as a continuation of Gunbuster. That leaves about 3 slots for unknowns. If one of them's Star Driver, I'm happy. If not, fuck them!

Z2-2 had two completely new series:
-Tetsujin 28
-Macross 7

But that low number was also because they counted continuations as new series:
-Gundam OO S2
-Code Geass R2
-Mac F Movie 2
-Gurren Lagann Movie 2
-More Votoms
You could add Wing to that list as the plot in Z2-1 didn't get past episode 16 or something. Oh and arent they counting Endless Waltz as new for Z3.

Bebpo

Banned
But it wasn't counted as a "new" series in z2-2.

See for marketing purposes they need like 6-7 "*" new series marks for a major srw.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, the 2-3 year wait is because you have to realize that these games take 2-3 years to make and the script and which series are in it is one of the first things that needs to be finalized so they can start making the assets. Since they work for Bandai, sometimes they get insider info though and get to see the anime scripts before the anime comes out. Like even though the final Unicorn ep is only coming out this June, I'm sure it'll be covered in Z3-2 next April because they not only have the novels to go by for how it ends, but they have inside access to Bandai to see the anime script which was probably finished a year ago or more.

I think stuff like Eva 3.33, Aquarion Evol, Eureka Seven AO, Star Driver, Rinne no Lagrange, Unicorn ep6, Gundam AGE are about the cutting edge timeframe for Z3. Gothicmade could probably be done in Z3-2 if they wanted, but I doubt Nagano will let them.

Valvrave, Gargantia, Majestic Prince, Gundam Build Fighters, Code Geass Akito are all too new and are likely entries for the next major SRW 2-3 years after Z3-2 so 2017/2018 or debuting in a smaller SRW released between Z3-2 and the new series. I'm looking forward to seeing how they work Build Fighters into the world.

Bebpo

Banned
Also don't forget that there's still a bunch of classic mecha shows that either have never been in SRW, or haven't been in SRW for ages that they can use as "new" entries like Tetsujin 28 was.

Still waiting for that day they bring back Escaflowne.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Also don't forget that there's still a bunch of classic mecha shows that either have never been in SRW, or haven't been in SRW for ages that they can use as "new" entries like Tetsujin 28 was.

I'd love to see L-Gaim again.

CorvoSol

I'd be down for the return of Escaflowne.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they work Build Fighters into the world.
Depends entirely on if the kids end up piloting real mobile suits. Otherwise its dead easy where Sei just makes model kits based on real existing Gundams instead of cartoons. Then you kick in the Ryusei/Gainer reasoning good at game = ace pilot and you are set. Really just ripoff the Ryusei plot wholesale except Sei is less of a autistic grognard sperg.
But only barely so.

CorvoSol

Depends entirely on if the kids end up piloting real mobile suits. Otherwise its dead easy where Sei just makes model kits based on real existing Gundams instead of cartoons. Then you kick in the Ryusei/Gainer reasoning good at game = ace pilot and you are set. Really just ripoff the Ryusei plot wholesale except Sei is less of a autistic grognard sperg.
But only barely so.

Also reveal that Ramba Ral didn't die at Amuro's hands but retired to pursue the lovely Iori Rinko and you're set.

zeroshiki

You already had the pilot not actually be inside the unit in Tetsujin 28 so expanding that into Build Fighters is probably not a big issue as well.

I'd like to see Raydeen, Combattler or Dunbine make a comeback. For selfish reasons, I wanna see Voltes V or Daimos too.

From SRW Genesis:

- Main character younger than Crowe
- Story starts technically directly after Saisei
- The content in each half is equal to a full-fledged SRW game
- Will inherit all of Z's systems

For reference: http://blog.livedoor.jp/od3/archives/52055380.html

主人公キャラ、搭乗機体は完全新規、クロウより若い、発表はまだ先
再世篇の直後から始まり、何年か間が開くということはない
ボリュームは据え置きで出しているスパロボ作品の中でも最大級に、第1部2部それぞれがスパロボ1本分のボリューム
第2次Zのように原作の話を1部と2部に分けて描くものもある
システムは基本的にZシリーズのもの継承して、そこに新たなシステムを用意
全般的に組み込まれるシステムで あったり、原作の設定に沿ったシステムなど

Can't wait to see more.

Shouta

So they're gonna stretch a few storylines from each game into full stages. =o

I'm ok with that considering that it worked well in Z2. I got to enjoy more stuff from certain anime in the game.

Bebpo

Banned
So they're gonna stretch a few storylines from each game into full stages. =o

I'm ok with that considering that it worked well in Z2. I got to enjoy more stuff from certain anime in the game.

I don't mind them doing this with some of them again, but I really hope they finish the OO Movie in Z3-1 so it gives Z3-2 a chance to be a great finale without any bullshit series holding it back.

OO Awakening was a little better in UX than the movie, but there's like no story and what is there is terrible, especially the end. I think the entire movie was like 4 stages across UX. Hopefully it doesn't get many more than that in Z3-1 and finishes out like how the E7 movie was done completely in Z2-1.

Shouta

I don't mind them doing this with some of them again, but I really hope they finish the OO Movie in Z3-1 so it gives Z3-2 a chance to be a great finale without any bullshit series holding it back.

OO Awakening was a little better in UX than the movie, but there's like no story and what is there is terrible, especially the end. I think the entire movie was like 4 stages across UX. Hopefully it doesn't get many more than that in Z3-1 and finishes out like how the E7 movie was done completely in Z2-1.

What I'm hoping is OO movie pulls a Rahxephon in MX thing.

Main character younger than Crowe

主人公キャラ、搭乗機体は完全新規、クロウより若い

Bleh. This implies a lot of boring and unpleasant status quo. Main character male, kid, piloting a real type. Wonder how much of a Cobray clone this one will end up.

CorvoSol

Bleh. This implies a lot of boring and unpleasant status quo. Main character male, kid, piloting a real type. Wonder how much of a Cobray clone this one will end up.

The only SRW game I've played where the main piloted a Super is Alpha, and that stupid bucket of bolts is so dang slow I can't be bothered to use it or Mazinger half the time. Getter Robo and Mk. II can actually reach enemies and kill them, so why wait half my life while the rest of the supers are taking two steps under the vast oceans that have made up 90% of the game's maps so far?

I don't like Alpha much, I think, cuz it's the clunkiest and slowest SRW game I've played, haha. SRW2 feels faster.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
The only SRW game I've played where the main piloted a Super is Alpha, and that stupid bucket of bolts is so dang slow I can't be bothered to use it or Mazinger half the time. Getter Robo and Mk. II can actually reach enemies and kill them, so why wait half my life while the rest of the supers are taking two steps under the vast oceans that have made up 90% of the game's maps so far?

I don't like Alpha much, I think, cuz it's the clunkiest and slowest SRW game I've played, haha. SRW2 feels faster.

Eh? There aren't a lot of Supers in Alpha that CANT fly.

I'm assuming you're talking about Alpha 1. And are you actually talking about the original SRW2 game for the Famicom?

CorvoSol

Eh? There aren't a lot of Supers in Alpha that CANT fly.

I'm assuming you're talking about Alpha 1. And are you actually talking about the original SRW2 game for the Famicom?

Alpha 1, yes, and SRW2 for NES, yes. The only Super in Alpha 1 I have so far that can fly is Getter Robo. Mazinger and mainbot are stuck walking. Boss Borot has like, never once entered into battle.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Alpha 1, yes, and SRW2 for NES, yes. The only Super in Alpha 1 I have so far that can fly is Getter Robo. Mazinger and mainbot are stuck walking. Boss Borot has like, never once entered into battle.

Ahh ok. I was also under the impression you had at least finished Alpha 1.

Anyway. when I want to move units quickly through water terrain, and they can't fly, I just either stuff them all into the mothership and move that, or equip a Minovsky Craft (to make it fly) or equip whatever part it is to make them move through water with S-Rank efficiency. Advice probably won't help you much, since I'm also going to assume that you're still early enough in the game, that you don't have those Option Parts yet...

Man, someone remind me, its been a while, doesn't the Grangust (the orginal initial super for Alpha) transform into a tank and plane, or is that only Irm's Grangust?

Jubern

I hate how they feel the need to have complete parity between retail & download RRPs and release dates here in Japan. I guess it has to do with retailers being pretty powerful, but goddamn. I'm standing at a screen telling me that I can buy either Z2 game on the PSN right now for 7330y or wait a month for them to drop to 2800, how ridiculous is that?!

Not to mention that Hakai-hen is broadly available used for under a 1000y (and it's been under 2000 for a looong time) and Saisei-hen has also been under 3000 for a good year.

Get your shit together Japan. Make revolution or something I dunno :/

CorvoSol

At least you can skip animations in Alpha. Also, Super MC in Alpha is OP w/ the right bday seishins.

You can only skip animations in Alpha if you choose to do so before the fight begins, and then it's no music for you.

Ahh ok. I was also under the impression you had at least finished Alpha 1.

Anyway. when I want to move units quickly through water terrain, and they can't fly, I just either stuff them all into the mothership and move that, or equip a Minovsky Craft (to make it fly) or equip whatever part it is to make them move through water with S-Rank efficiency. Advice probably won't help you much, since I'm also going to assume that you're still early enough in the game, that you don't have those Option Parts yet...

Man, someone remind me, its been a while, doesn't the Grangust (the orginal initial super for Alpha) transform into a tank and plane, or is that only Irm's Grangust?

I also have trouble with parts because I don't speak Japanese.

Sinople

A new year, a new SRW for me. I continue my main series run in order with Alpha 2.

Are you playing them in reverse order?
Alpha is such a step up and a pleasure to play compared to the Winkysoft games.

For parts, just equip them and look at the stat to see what they affect. Look for ミノフスキークラフト for the Minovsky craft, it's a must equip for some robots.

Sinople

Sorry for the DP.

Not to mention that Hakai-hen is broadly available used for under a 1000y (and it's been under 2000 for a looong time) and Saisei-hen has also been under 3000 for a good year.

Get your shit together Japan. Make revolution or something I dunno :/

I've seen Saisen-hen for 1500 yen in a couple of store last month but it's nowhere to be found now in my area. I hope the price will not skyrocket, I haven't bought it yet :/

Jubern

Where is the "new info" about Z3 from this week supposed to come from? I have this week's Famitsu and it's not in it. Nothing about SRW Z3 this week.

CorvoSol

A new year, a new SRW for me. I continue my main series run in order with Alpha 2.

Are you playing them in reverse order?
Alpha is such a step up and a pleasure to play compared to the Winkysoft games.

For parts, just equip them and look at the stat to see what they affect. Look for ミノフスキークラフト for the Minovsky craft, it's a must equip for some robots.

I'm just kind of drunkenly stumbling through the series.

I've beaten J, W, and Z2.1. I'm almost done with Z2.2, and playing a bit of Alpha, MX, and 2NES. Every once in awhile I try to get in some Z1.

zeroshiki

I finished SRW EX when I was in the 5th grade and I didn't know wtf a seishin was. My friend showed Hot Blood to me after the fact and it blew my mind.

I definitely understand the frustration. Delving into the deeper mechanics like unit parts and stuff sucks if you don't know Japanese.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

I've beaten J, W, and Z2.1. I'm almost done with Z2.2, and playing a bit of Alpha, MX, and 2NES. Every once in awhile I try to get in some Z1.

I can't get back into playing the older SRW games (anything pre-Playstation). Not because of the fact that they're older, or even the fact that the game systems are slower, but only by the mere fact that I just can't enjoy myself if there's no voices.

Its a stupid reason, yes, but its also the main reason why I've NEVER enjoyed any of the handheld SRW games, with the exception of the PSP games.

If you're playing 2NES, why don't you play the one that's in the SRW Complete Box?

I finished SRW EX when I was in the 5th grade and I didn't know wtf a seishin was. My friend showed Hot Blood to me after the fact and it blew my mind.

I definitely understand the frustration. Delving into the deeper mechanics like unit parts and stuff sucks if you don't know Japanese.

For me, SRW is the reason why I even have some very basic knowledge of Japanese. Just memorizing the katakana and hiragana character sets helped me out a lot when I started playing. Doesn't make you able to read EVERYTHING, but it helped.

zeroshiki

Learning to read hiragana and katakana is a good start. At the very least you'll be able to read Hirameki, Tekagen and the dozens of parts that are in katakana like the Minovsky Craft (although I don't think the flying thing in Z2 is still called the Minovski Craft)

CorvoSol

I can't get back into playing the older SRW games (anything pre-Playstation). Not because of the fact that they're older, or even the fact that the game systems are slower, but only by the mere fact that I just can't enjoy myself if there's no voices.

Its a stupid reason, yes, but its also the main reason why I've NEVER enjoyed any of the handheld SRW games, with the exception of the PSP games.

If you're playing 2NES, why don't you play the one that's in the SRW Complete Box?

Well J has a translation patch and so does 2NES, so that's why I've played/am playing those. Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii actually felt that J had a really good plot by the time I beat it. Like I really liked the plot of that game. Possibly because it is literally the only SRW plot I'd ever experienced in my native tongue so I could actually understand it and have nothing to gauge it against.

W is my favorite because it has FMP. SRWZ3 will unhorse it. Even though there won't be any GGG, there will be TBO, so I feel that's a more than fair trade.

Alpha and MX I'm playing because gosh darn I want some ZZ and G.

Sinople

I see, lol.
I like to play them in order because I can feel the improvements added over time to the series.
The problem with this approach is that I only started to play them 5 or 6 years ago and they're so long and numerous it's just impossible to play them all, so I stick to the main series (and maybe OG later to see the originals I've missed).

A couple of impressions regarding Alpha 2:
- Zengar path: after 14 maps, I wish he was a little more implicated in the plot, but I guess I have to wait a little more.
- Good characters interactions and dialogues. The new super robot series are well integrated (apart from the Daimos love story which feels weirdly paced).
- The Crossbone Gundams are awesome.
- The game is easy, I've already got 11 PP and I'm not even trying to get them.
- Platoon system: I like it a lot more than the support system introduced in Alpha Gaiden. It's easier to use, not having to think about the positioning of your units to take advantage of it, and give a purpose to minor units I would have never used otherwise.
- A new game + mode, at last!
- Character growth system: I haven't used it much yet but I guess more freedom is always welcome. A lot of new skills too :)
- The objective menu gives how to get the PP for each stage and that's a huge addition, no more walkthrough check before each map!
- If nothing horrible happens later in story or game balance, I see it being the best SRW game released up to this point.

Zengar has fairly decent plot development that starts to ramp up towards the end. That final map name though, Two words: Bad Ass.

The platoon system in the alpha series is probably the most awful or generally poor iteration of the idea. It leads to a ton bloat. Way more characters to manage, set up, deploy, use. Except you don't even really have to do any of that as the alpha games are extremely easy in the first place. Sure it's great that every unit you use now has 3 additional spirit pools to mess around with and you can cast fortune and gain for every single attack, EVERY SINGLE ATTACK, you perform in the game. Except it doesn't benefit the game in any real way.

Also doesn't help that alpha 2/3 get way too tedious and repetitive at the end too.

Top Bottom