• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

isual

Yeah, I had been playing it a bit before I left home, maybe did 15 missions. I really like it, I like how different it feels from OG2 thanks to the smaller team and the more challenging points.
I'm really curious about the missions beyond 20 (ie beyond the EX storyline).

Getting PS3 version as the Vita version is DL only and my Vita account is EU.

Yeah, get saiseihen if you already went through hakaihen and intend to play Z3. AFAIK, Terada mentioned Z3 using clear saves from Z2.

fosho. thanks mah nigga. sasai seems cheaper now

zeroshiki

Gunbuster was in the Alpha series. FMP has never been in a mainline non-shitty SRW game. Just FMP is enough reason to pay through the nose for this game.

Bebpo

Banned
Look, Scamco is a terrible company only out to ripoff its consumers. They're basically the EA of Japan. They nickel & dime everything, charge full price as much as they can (remember when Z2-1 was released digital on the store the day Z2-2 came out...for full 7000+ yen?). They're the company that is refusing to release a 3000yen DLC game for 3000yen and instead forcing people to buy a full price game with a game no one wants. They're the company that split Z2 to get double the profits on probably only slightly above a single game budget. They're the company that's doing that again for Z3 even though there's no story-reason to do it besides pure profits. They're the company releasing a $130 version of Gundam Vs if you want a decent ost. They're the company turning Ridge Racer, Ace Combat, Tekken, and soon all their franchises into F2P no-effort, all profit games. Every choice Scamco makes it done as a machine looking at how to make more money at the expense of its fans.

So basically, never expect to get a good deal from them. It's really annoying that they control some of the franchises I enjoy like SRW and Tales, because otherwise I'd boycott the fuck out of them and their awful practices. At the rate they're going, I totally expect them to destroy the SRW and Tales franchises completely by the end of this next generation.

If anyone else wants to plat MasouKishin III, I'd recommend using a wiki. After finishing all 3 routes, I found out I was missing 2 random encyclopedia entries which could only be obtained through specific combat dialogue... on 2 different routes. They're pretty random, I mean one was for using Gennadi.

I've bought this week's Famitsu and it says that the Vita version will cost 7690¥ tax included. FML.
lol @ that 400 yen difference.

Also, I hadn't followed Full Boost too closely and thanks to Bebpo I'm up to speed. That OST move has turned me off TBH.
I'll wait to see how Z3 turns out before passing judgement on the multiparter stuff. For example, the scope of Z2 justified it IMO. To be fair, the most egregious episodic stuff was F. Part 1 was fairly terrible with all the L-Gaim stuff.

zeroshiki

are the ds SRW games good ?

or should i just stick with the psp and ps3 games ?

Some people like the Nintendo handheld SRWs but I'm of the opinion that they're mostly low budget hackjobs that couldn't even be bothered to steal the mainline game's systems and/or animations.

CorvoSol

Gunbuster was in the Alpha series. FMP has never been in a mainline non-shitty SRW game. Just FMP is enough reason to pay through the nose for this game.

Hey now, SRW J and W were both good games. I confess I've never played any of the other Nintendo ones, but J and W aren't half bad. Especially as I'm playing Alpha at the moment. J and W move so much better than that clunker.

are the ds SRW games good ?

or should i just stick with the psp and ps3 games ?
I have to agree with zeroshiki. I haven't played W and people seem to like it well enough but the mainline handheld games I've played (R, D, J, K, L) have all been pretty terrible.

Hey now, SRW J and W were both good games. I confess I've never played any of the other Nintendo ones, but J and W aren't half bad. Especially as I'm playing Alpha at the moment. J and W move so much better than that clunker.
The ridicuous reinforcement count and the predictable way the AI reacts (basically forcing you to ignore mobility unless you want to make the game even more tedious) in J is more than enough for me to put it far below Alpha. The interface improvements don't really make up for that stuff imo.

fertygo

Pls Alpha is the best sub-series

Btw many not liking nintendo's console SRW game because its a lot to do with big compromise sub-par hardware limitation, no voiceover for 200x SRW game just big no.

Tsukumo

Same here. J had possibly my all-time favourite cast and W had a plot and dialogues with spot-on characterization, spot-on interaction, perfect character development and the best cross-overs ever (with the only exception being Turn A and Xabungle in Gaiden). Tekkaman Blade 2 came up like a decent work, Golion and Gaogaigar links were planned to perfection, Duo and Quatre kept the team mood rolling for the span of the entire game, every Orgun appearance was memorable.
Also J originals where fantastic.

CorvoSol

I have to agree with zeroshiki. I haven't played W and people seem to like it well enough but the mainline handheld games I've played (R, D, J, K, L) have all been pretty terrible.

The ridicuous reinforcement count and the predictable way the AI reacts (basically forcing you to ignore mobility unless you want to make the game even more tedious) in J is more than enough for me to put it far below Alpha. The interface improvements don't really make up for that stuff imo.

I'll get back to you when it's my next turn in Alpha. Sometime in the next 20 years or so. I've seen South American Dictatorships take less time than turns in this game.

Same here. J had possibly my all-time favourite cast and W had a plot and dialogues with spot-on characterization, spot-on interaction, perfect character development and the best cross-overs ever (with the only exception being Turn A and Xabungle in Gaiden). Tekkaman Blade 2 came up like a decent work, Golion and Gaogaigar links were planned to perfection, Duo and Quatre kept the team mood rolling for the span of the entire game, every Orgun appearance was memorable.
Also J originals where fantastic.

I really like W. It's quick to move through, has a good assortment of mechs, and nice to look at. The only downside is the lack of voices, but whatevs on that.

fertygo

I'll get back to you when it's my next turn in Alpha. Sometime in the next 20 years or so. I've seen South American Dictatorships take less time than turns in this game.

Why don't you just jump to Alpha 2?

Alpha line-up are too damn good to miss, its equivalent to current Z

And the sprite work are godly

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Some people like the Nintendo handheld SRWs but I'm of the opinion that they're mostly low budget hackjobs that couldn't even be bothered to steal the mainline game's systems and/or animations.

Until the "mainline" series can have Alpha level of varied mecha and a working group system, I'm gonna stick to the DS/3DS lines > Z series. That alone makes it better.

Pair mechanic > squad mechanic, primarily because it prevents a bit of filler mecha (which Z2-2 suffers from).

Yeah sure sprites are shit, but that's mainly because the main team aren't working on them. Imagine if the main team actually did on them with the same mecha titles and systems?

Boss Doggie

Alpha has some weird stuff though.

I thought Daimos, Voltes and Combattler would finish their plot in 1 and 2, but apparently they were paused. I was kinda under the impression they were finished by 2, but I was surprised to see the ending of Daimos and Voltes in 3.

Shouta

I didn't really like J or W aside from having a few selections I liked in the cast and solid originals. I like K and L more despite their issues because they try new things with their gameplay and had some really unique series in there.

On the topic of Z3, A Wakening of the Trailblazer is gonna work reallllly well in the context of the game. I just saw it for the first time and I was just thinking about how it'll fit with the other ones for the Z series finale.

fertygo

Why jump to the weakest out of all three of them.

To setting up for Alpha 3? playing *gasp* crossbone?
knowing Zengar and Dyzengar?
Worth it
I don't have a PS2 atm, and when I get another one, it'll be for finishing Z1.
LMAO you not gonna like it based on what you post on this page.

Z1 can be frustating..

I didn't finish it for some reason, but didn't dislike it though.

fertygo

Certainly isn't worth missing alpha and jumping straight to the lesser game. Not to mention that most of the setup for 3 happens in 1.
Well I'm not really familiar to the story due to my lack mastery of the language, what I remember the most is the graphical leap from psx graphic, GaoGaigar and crossbone debut. Its glorious.

I guess jump straight to a3 is the better suggestion nowadays.

Itsuki

W is one of my favourite SRW games but I don't like J. I beated J 2 times and I can't find a way to like the game.
I remember that W was my first SRW game and I didn't have any problem with it except on the typical parts like talk with x character or go to x place (when I played W for the first time, my japanese was very bad).
Thanks to W, I watched GaoGaiGar, something that I don't regret.

CorvoSol

So Z3 is gonna have AWTB, FMP, Macross 7 and TTGL. This means I can have a dream squad of snipers with Lockon Stratos, Kurz Weber, Michael and Yoko. A shame that Lockon will be stuck piloting the inferior Cherudim Gundam and not the God-Tier Dynames.

Shouta

So Z3 is gonna have AWTB, FMP, Macross 7 and TTGL. This means I can have a dream squad of snipers with Lockon Stratos, Kurz Weber, Michael and Yoko. A shame that Lockon will be stuck piloting the inferior Cherudim Gundam and not the God-Tier Dynames.

You do realize he's piloting Zabanya, right?

CorvoSol

You do realize he's piloting Zabanya, right?

Nope. Like heck if I remember what they piloted in the movie. I hate that movie.

EDIT: Looking it up, though, I'd say the Zabanya looks better than the Cherudim. Still inferior to the Dynames, though.

If I didn't say this here before I'll do it now. Misato finally getting to command a ship in rebuild 3? That's definitely going to show up in Z3-2.

JCG

I wonder if it wouldn't feel a bit weird to put any 3.0 content into the next game if the final Rebuild movie still isn't out by then though. Not that it wouldn't make for some cool gimmicks, mind you.

Boss Doggie

So I take it we wouldn't see another "spin-off" in Vita or 3DS after UX bombed right?

Spinoffs are my only source of out-of-there roster lists. Alpha is the last main series that goes out-of-there, and even then they were mostly restrained in Gaiden.

...they should've added more J9 :(

Finally got my MK3 platinum yesterday. The last thing I was missing was the ピーターパン症候群 entry in the encyclopedia, I'm not kidding (the other one I was missing before that was about the protagonist of Crime and Punishment).

Tsukumo

Maybe a little too fantastic. I recall my strategy for the second half of the game consisted mostly of sending
Granteed Dracodeus
charging out and watching everything die during the enemy turn.

:D yeah, balance wasn't definitely the game strongest suit. Then again J and W had the option to upgrade enemy units on subsequent playthroughs, so I didn't mind it that much. Anyway, I meant narrative wise: I liked the idea of the mech with three different co-pilots and the somewhat psychological resemblance of the two main characters with Shinji (the male main) and Misato (the female main). The real robot (white and blue) was AWESOME @_ @

Why jump to the weakest out of all three of them.

This is blasphemy! This is madness! :D
Alpha 3 was basically SRW EX: it felt like an OG game with licensed characters instead of the opposite, which is what SRW is all about.
Also 2 had Zengar, Crossbones (all those engine exhaustion details, hnnnnnng!), and let you fight against all of Mikene generals, something you don't even see in the original tv show or the Great Mazinger tai Ankoku Daishogun movie. The Super robot route was to die for: all of the most popular Nagai robots in one game (Gaiking, Getter, Mazinger, Jeeg).
Yes, the user interface sucked, the screen shook too much, the animations weren't skippable but weakest?

I don't have a PS2 atm, and when I get another one, it'll be for finishing Z1.

I don't remember if I already told you but MX let's you play with all the ZZ Gundam cast from the start. You could also try G-Generation Spirits: it's in full voice and follows religiously the plots of the most popular Gundam animations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-QHeh2BJOE (2:33)

This is blasphemy! This is madness! :D
Alpha 3 was basically SRW EX: it felt like an OG game with licensed characters instead of the opposite, which is what SRW is all about.
Also 2 had Zengar, Crossbones (all those engine exhaustion details, hnnnnnng!), and let you fight against all of Mikene generals, something you don't even see in the original tv show or the Great Mazinger tai Ankoku Daishogun movie. The Super robot route was to die for: all of the most popular Nagai robots in one game (Gaiking, Getter, Mazinger, Jeeg).
Yes, the user interface sucked, the screen shook too much, the animations weren't skippable but weakest?
I can't disagree with him: Alpha 2 is IMO notably weaker than the rest of the Alpha games.

Going by your description of originals vs licensed series, which I totally share, I feel Alpha 2 does it the least well out of all 4 games. Gaiden is stellar in that regard (it's the EX of the alpha series IMO) and Alpha 1 and 3 have their hands full with the Balmari stuff. Hell, Alpha did the impressive task of mixing existing original characters and mythology (from the original series, Shin SRW and Super Hero Sakusen) into one cohesive storyline that would serve as the backdrop for the license stuff. That's basically OG before OG.

Alpha 2 is not bad but it's overall the most skippable of the 4 games. IMO, it feels more like a Gaiden than Alpha Gaiden did.

Shouta

So, thinking about Z3 a bit and with the series list available, I thought of fun stuff that will probably occur.

Orguss
Seed Destiny

This combination depending on where these are within their storylines, this could setup a "Break the World" incident and setup a new world for Z3. This was the event that caused the worlds to merge in Z1 so having Orguss/Seed back on the cast list is probably for that reason. In the current world setup, you already have several series in this list and ones that don't exist so I don't think a Calamity Birth is going to happen this time around. That and the CB instigator isn't around.

Evangelion: 1.0 You are (Not) Alone
Evangelion: 2.0 You can (Not) Advance
Dai-guard

I expect some fun cross-over here. Dai-guard and Eva pretty much have the same plot and Dai-guard used quite a few of the ideas from the Angels in their Heterodyne fights. So seeing these two go at it will be mighty interesting.

Shin Getter
Awakening of the Trailblazer
Gunbuster

They came from space trio. Shin Getter was handled during Z2 but it looks like they're hitting the reset button. So you basically have 3 types of space critters to fight in this though only two are super evil. It'd be interesting if they changed it so that the ELS were at war with the STMC/Invaders eventually because they were the ones that destoryed the ELS homeworld (instead of the super nova)

I'm looking forward to the other fun things they'll come up with. =O

All of this depends on how set in their ways are Banpresto since they finished the Alpha series. The older games were very intent on tying the Gainax series together and this time they have three to play around with.

That's probably the most interesting thing for me. What are they going to do now that they have another proper shot at the Eva plot because I don't think they did one seriously since Alpha?

That and Unicorn. Although I am not as excited about another round of earthlings vs spacenoids and the heros in the middle trying to get everyone to work together.

CorvoSol

I'm mostly excited about Unicorn to hear their arrangement of its theme. Banagher was a chump, so was Riddhe, Marida is god tier, and Full Frontal is Char. At least the mechs in Unicorn are good, unlike if AGE had got in.

Anyway I started up MX and am conflicted for several reasons. First, Yay! ZZ and G. Second, NO! Rah Xephon and Zeorymer. I get that dissing a show I never watched is low, but from what I saw of it in J, Zeorymer is sort of laaaaaame. Plus the bosses from it were a bitch to kill. Next up: Those hero designs are uh, something.

Markun

Those hero designs are uh, something.

c20110527_srwog2nd_16_cs1w1_720x720.jpg

Still not as strippertastic as Saphine's outfit though.

All of this depends on how set in their ways are Banpresto since they finished the Alpha series. The older games were very intent on tying the Gainax series together and this time they have three to play around with.
Yeah, that I'm looking forward to. Plus, I'm half expecting Diebuster to be in part 2. Hell, I'd be shocked if it wasn't.

The thing with having Gunbuster and late GL in play is that it feels like a missed opportunity to go all cosmic like Alpha 3 with other shit like Ideon and GGG. Then again, badass cosmic GGG requires a game just to set it up.

That and Unicorn. Although I am not as excited about another round of earthlings vs spacenoids and the heros in the middle trying to get everyone to work together.
And they'll have the Z and Destiny people there just to tell them "let me handle it, I'm an expert". Because at that point, both these series are pretty much done and are only there to have additional cast members.

I just realized they might really take their time with Unicorn and we'll be blueballed with a Gundam with 3 or 4 attacks for most of the game outside of events.

Anyway I started up MX and am conflicted for several reasons. First, Yay! ZZ and G. Second, NO! Rah Xephon and Zeorymer. I get that dissing a show I never watched is low, but from what I saw of it in J, Zeorymer is sort of laaaaaame. Plus the bosses from it were a bitch to kill. Next up: Those hero designs are uh, something.
I remember the thing that turned me off the game: fucking Dendoh. Seriously.

I get that dissing a show I never watched is low, but from what I saw of it in J, Zeorymer is sort of laaaaaame.

Zeorymer.png

Edit: As for a real post enjoy this crackpot fan theory. The Z universe crossover with a variation of the Alpha 3 universe. After the End of Eva finally the whole thing loops around again with some changes so you get the set up for Eva rebuild. Noriko with Gunbuster is still somewhere out there and can be a late game unit instead of having to deal with Machine Weapon units for the first half . It would be sometime after the end of alpha 2 so all of the UC events have happened to set up Unicorn. Well either way I sure hope Banpresto comes up with something interesting as the cast list on it's own isn't that exciting.

Shouta

Dendoh rocked in MX. Palette Swap is lame. Zeorymer rocks. CorvoSol is lame!

MX is pretty easy because everything is stupid buff. You can just melt everything with your favorite unit. Zerorymer in particular is ridiculous crazy because of the way the pilots are setup and the way the pilot skills work in the game.

Top Bottom