• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

So it's a partner system. I'm ok with that, still faster than 3 or 4 person squads that slow down the game speed and make map attacks the main focus.
It only really slowed it down in Z where squads got huge defensive buffs and there were no map weapons to speak of in the game. Partner system is still a huge pain on the management side as 2nd OGs can demonstrate.

edit: damn that auto correct, should post less from the phone.

Pehesse

It only really slowed it down in Z where squads got huge defensive buffs and there were no map weapons to speak of in the game. Partner system is still a huge pain on the management side as 2nd One cab demonstrate.

Agree that 2nd OG's was a slog, but maybe they'll take cues from K and L instead? Loved L's pair unit's parameters (even thought it meant losing item equipment) - maybe here we'll get the best of both worlds?

Also :

CorvoSol said:
Vita is region free, right? As in it plays Japanese physical carts just fine, right?

Sure does! News are getting better by the hour \o/

ezSDKUK.jpg

ROCK ON

I found the way he tormented Setsuko to be pretty fucked up and, dare I say, amusing. Maybe because, like you say, he behaves like a villain from 15/20 years ago which we're not used to anymore.

But his popularity has a lot more to do with the fact he's reverse Masaki.

Also, Vita users REJOICE!
Super Robot Wars Z3 will get a physical release on Vita!
Not sure what changed since it was supposed to be a size problem but I don't care. Also the cover doesn't have the "Memory card needed" mention, so I hope the save is actually saved to the cart...
http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2014/01/22/73706.html

Liar!

It's only game mechanics http://www.famitsu.com/news/201401/23046773.html

Some nice screenshots though.

I think the above news makes up for it. :p

Calling next week!

I just realized they can't finish the OO movie in z3-1 unless they're willing to cut Setsuna and crew out of Z3-2...shit :(

I wonder if he'll even get Quan[T] in Z3-1 since in the movie he doesn't get it until the last ten minutes, iirc he got it a little earlier in UX. I hope we're not fighting the metal things for all of both games lol

You know, if they do the whole movie in Z3-1, maybe in Z3-2 we'll get ELS Quan[T]? Could make for a pretty cool end game unit.

Jubern

Arado's account of what he did between Alpha 2 and Alpha 3 warms this F91/Crossbone's fan heart:
After he crashed on Earth trying to save Irui, he wandered for a bit before his unit finally broke down. He ended up near where a couple who fought along them in Alpha 2 lived... "You know... Those pirates guys."
They live happily, and took care of him and Irui until the latter recovered, with Arado eating bread non-stop every day.

Reminds me of Steel 7.

CorvoSol

Sure does! News are getting better by the hour \o/

Why can't I just preorder this NOW? Gah.

Right into my veins. Arbalest front and center.
Super Robot Wars Z3-2 to have Laevatein instead.

hnnnnnghhhh.

Anyways, I also bought the DS versions of K,L and W for 60 USD all together. hope they're good.

Well I can't speak to K and L, but W is an all time favorite of mine. FMP, GGG, Endless Waltz and Prince of Darkness. It's like J without being weighed down by Brain Powerd.

Ah, you're right, but I only see the PS3 one. Can I preorder the Vita one from them yet?

Yep

I forgot i have a japan psn account.

can I play the ps1 srws from there on my north american vita ?

Not sure. I don't think you can redeem JP codes on NA PSN. On PS3 it's no problem since you can just switch to a profile with your JP account set up. I've played Xenogears on my PS3 so there's always that option if you don't want to go through the hassle of switching your Vita accounts around.

zeroshiki

I can't decide between PS3 and Vita >_< I like the portability of the Vita but I feel like I might lose something going from TV to a small screen.

Is the Vita retail release confirmed? Amazon JP doesn't seem to have a page for it.

The Vita news is awesome as long as everything is on the physical cart. If you have to download parts if the game, we're back to square 1.

I'll get the game digitally on PS3 day 1 and might import the Vita version a bit later.

Mandoric

Banned
I can't decide between PS3 and Vita >_< I like the portability of the Vita but I feel like I might lose something going from TV to a small screen.

Is the Vita retail release confirmed? Amazon JP doesn't seem to have a page for it.

It's confirmed, but very new.

The Vita news is awesome as long as everything is on the physical cart. If you have to download parts if the game, we're back to square 1.

I'll get the game digitally on PS3 day 1 and might import the Vita version a bit later.

No content cuts - better-than-expected compression.

Acosta

I prefer SRPGs on handheld so I now what I will pick. I will get the digital version of the PSP ones too once they go to The Best price, so excited to finally play this.

More Super Heroine Chronicle stuff ugh. Was it really that hard to get something with a bit more bite (to say nothing of a lot less sleeze, fuckin' Super Sonico? Who OK'd that and not, say, Slayers?).

What a complete missed opportunity.

Well they had to split up the budget of one license (Queen's Blade) and go dumpster diving for a bunch of really cheap ones. They probably couldn't afford any shows or characters that anyone would care about.

Ken

I can't decide between PS3 and Vita >_<

I can't either. @_@

And I really can't double dip since it's going to be busy for my wallet between now and April.

Edit: Oh well, PS3 order placed. Might buy the Vita one later on for a repeat playythrough or somehting.

Loona

Well they had to split up the budget of one license (Queen's Blade) and go dumpster diving for a bunch of really cheap ones. They probably couldn't afford any shows or characters that anyone would care about.

I think a magical girl counterpart of SRW could be interesting, so maybe if this does well, maybe someday they'll put some money into gathering a few classic series (Dai Mahou Touge would go great with a few), but still, I won't be the one to buy this - I actually bought Queen's Gate Spiral chaos, but that had SNK characters in it, and it's the closest there's been to a Samurai Shodown/Soul Calibur crossover...

I think a magical girl counterpart of SRW could be interesting, so maybe if this does well, maybe someday they'll put some money into gathering a few classic series (Dai Mahou Touge would go great with a few), but still, I won't be the one to buy this - I actually bought Queen's Gate Spiral chaos, but that had SNK characters in it, and it's the closest there's been to a Samurai Shodown/Soul Calibur crossover...

They haven't ditched enough of the creepy and offensive elements from those previous games to even be close to acceptable yet.

I get that Banpresto is probably trying to save money w/ Super Heroine Chronicles, but they really picked out some obscure shit. Considering the large amount of popular magical girl shows, if they threw some big bucks to get the right licenses (and maybe go full 2D) they could have another big cash cow series on their hands.

Loona

They haven't ditched enough of the creepy and offensive elements from those previous games to even be close to acceptable yet.

True, true... in QG:SC they were so clearly aware of how perved up the game was that the thing apparently had a mode to conceal the game screen from prying eyes, replacing it with something that looked like NES Mega Man - which sucked, since the game's cast should have been more than enough to sell it, I mean, it was a SamuraiShodown/Fatal Fury/soul Calibur/Tekken/Guilty Gear/Blazblue/Wonder Momo crossover, and that's just counting the series I'm most aware of...
Maybe this thing will at least be toned down in comparison.

MechaX

So I already know I'm going to import Z3...

About how long would it take to blast through Z2-1 and 2-2? I probably won't even bother for SR points unless they have secrets like Z did.

fertygo

So I already know I'm going to import Z3...

About how long would it take to blast through Z2-1 and 2-2? I probably won't even bother for SR points unless they have secrets like Z did.

100 Hour?
that's my playhour lol

And getting SR point is damn easy on Z2 anyway.

Really depends on what you mean by blast. Reading story/plot events? Do you skip all the animations? Get OCD about setting up particular boss kills or such?

Z2 games are very easy and simple and they aren’t really a giant slog compared to most mainline SRW games so it should be easier to rush through them. They are still however full length SRW games with a sizeable stage count unlike Gaiden games.

Trying to read the plot summaries for the games is also an option.

isual

so i've already purchase quite a bit of ps2 and ds srw games.

are the masou kishin games even good ? i read on /vg/ that they're not really that good and that

main series > og series > masou kishin series

Pehesse

are the masou kishin games even good ? i read on /vg/ that they're not really that good and that

Yeah, Masoukishin games aren't really my favorite. Maybe some will feel differently, but I think their main draw is their plot - which, for many of us, is completely lost. The animations are not that good, the music you often heard in OG or other places apart from a select few and the mechanics aren't that interesting either - prana management, side-attacking all feel like a poor man Tactic's Ogre. So yeah, if you can't read Japanese, I'd say skip.

Tsukumo

the first one has great characters, is fairly short and has spotless character interaction. So if you can read Japanese I'd definitely say go for it. You'll definitely need a strategy guide and to play all masou kishin routes in OG2 if you want to enjoy its story to the fullest.
The second seems (I'm half-way through) more demanding difficulty wise, but has a lot of cool characters and some interesting plot development. The mechs are nothing short of meh, but the enemy characters have some great addition.
The psp versions have a crazy amount of voice acting, almost Z2 level.

Dude I have to send my entire army past Gaioh, through his army, to Asakim, before I can scratch Gaioh? Whoooo boy this map's gonna be a doozy.
You can 1 turn the z2-2 final scenario on either route, you don't have to bother with the grunts. Supers are generally better than reals in Z2-2 gameplay wise.

Yeah and they are all useless when they are piloting Shin Getter.
Ryoma's better in Shin but the dragon pilots are still pretty good.

Mandoric

Banned
You can 1 turn the z2-2 final scenario on either route, you don't have to bother with the grunts. Supers are generally better than reals in Z2-2 gameplay wise.

Ryoma's better in Shin but the dragon pilots are still pretty good.

I found a kind of break, where supers were in general better but Chirico and Lelouch (at least due to special systems) outdid that.

KidDork

Hoping someone here can help me.

I picked up a copy of SRW Hakai Hen but don't speak a word of Japanese. I've managed to figure out combat, but can't figure out how to save. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

KidDork

Thank you very much. Now I don't have to replay Chapter One over and over.

This is my first SRW, and I absolutely adore it. Now that I can continue with the story, even moreso.

Thank you very much. Now I don't have to replay Chapter One over and over.

This is my first SRW, and I absolutely adore it. Now that I can continue with the story, even moreso.

That website has a lot of SRW games covered if you're interested in playing others. It's amazing for people (like me) who can't read Japanese. Have fun!

Thank you! I was just going over that site kinda the same way Link does when he opens a new chest.

Also, Atlus released two of the Gameboy Advance games years ago. Original Generation 1 and 2 to be exact, playing that made playing the Japanese games easier since the in battle menus are mostly the same. Lot's of trial and error help too as you'll probably see.

A few games were fan translated as well, so if you wanted you could really dive in! :)

Sinople

Wow, I couldn't play more than 4 maps of Alpha 2 in 2 weeks. At this rate, it's going to take me half a year to finish it... and my backlog is growing with each passing day and Steam/GOG sales (T_T)

The platoon system in the alpha series is probably the most awful or generally poor iteration of the idea. It leads to a ton bloat.

Well that's too bad, though I still don't have much problem with it after 18 maps. I mean, "bloat" is what I expect every time I play a SRW game. But if it's going to get worse and worse, ugh...

On a side note, Brain Powered seems kind of weird.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Which SRW is your favorite in terms of roster?

Mine is SRW Advance/Advance Portable. Love the series being repped there (G Gundam, Nadesico, Daimos, etc.), despite being a hard game.

Top Bottom