• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Loona

No, seriously those eyebrows god damn.

Also it's obvious the two characters intentionally look almost exactly the same because lol gemini. Guess there will be some weird gimmick/plot twist about that.

The plot has involved "dimentional quakes" or something like that - it's not hard to imagine a temporal distortion separating twins so one gets to age a bit away from the other.

The question is how similar or different their spirit commands will be.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, Mech looks better than Z2's Brasta for sure. I hate real robot mains because their attack animations are so boring compared to super robot mains. This doesn't look as good as Rand's, but looks similar in style to Asakim's. If they bulk it up some more with the upgrade in Z3-2 it could be a legit super which would be cool.

Just going to say this right now. Terada needs to pull a god tier troll and give Shinji Hot Blood and Courage as the two final spirit commands in Z3-2.

isual

i like the original mech in z3.

currently playing og on ps2. loving it because its so fast when you can skip it all.

i've got about 5 srw games including og (which comes with og2 for ps2).

what should i play next ? got alpha 2, impact, z1, og for ps3 and there's also og2 which comes with og1.

If you played Alpha 1 and Gaiden feel free to play Alpha 2, otherwise don't.

If you enjoyed OG1 than keep going with OG2 and 2nd OGs.

If you want something totally different play Z.

currently playing og on ps2. loving it because its so fast when you can skip it all.

what should i play next ? got alpha 2, impact, z1, og for ps3 and there's also og2 which comes with og1.
Hope you didn't already buy Impact because you REALLY shouldn't have done that. By far the slowest and most bloated of the "modern" SRWs, which is saying a lot.

When I saw the words "high school student" it gave me a negative impression. But actually looking at the OG characters now they look better than what I had expected.

If they follow the Z2 route then the Geminion will likely get an extra attack or two followed by an actual upgrade in Z3-2.

April can't come soon enough.

isual

Hope you didn't already buy Impact because you REALLY shouldn't have done that. By far the slowest and most bloated of the "modern" SRWs, which is saying a lot.

unfortunately, already had it for 1 1/2 weeks already. and yes, it is bloated and slow.

but it is in mint condition.

im still stuck in og1's scenario 19, and been playing it all day.

thankfully i was watching house of card's s2

ok. just beat that stage. wow. was that hard.

Keylow415

if u like og go straight in to og2 but if u want to play a cross over game play z1 next then go back to og2. in og2 u get a lot of new units so its cool to see what u get.

Bebpo

Banned
Are there any modern and decently playable SRW games that do Eva TV -> End of Eva? I know MX has Eva, but what parts does it cover? Any of the handheld entries cover it?

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, that's what I figured :\ And Alpha 1 is unplayable to me. And Z3 covering the rebuild movies will be a lot different not to mention will end unfinished since the 4th movie isn't out.

I guess the Rebuild movies have pretty much screwed Eva TV + EoE out of existence in SRW for the next decade. Maybe if Movie 4 comes out next year and finishes Rebuild we'll at least get a SRW that covers Rebuild in its entirety at some point.

Been getting in the mood for SRW lately and re-watching the Z3-1 PV1 I gotta say the biggest disappointment is surprisingly no AGE. I know everyone hates AGE, I couldn't even finish the show and bailed after AGE2 era ended, but it's still a pretty epic lengthy Gundam that spans a century with tons of events, characters and units (I like the main units /shrug) that would've been a lot of fun to play through SRW style. Maybe if they think AGE sucks too much to include in a mainline title, the next 3DS line game from the UX team will feature the entire AGE storyline with voices.

Honestly I don't think it's that big of a deal. Sure the set piece fights won't be exactly the same, but it's not like SRW ever covered all of them, but Rebuild only starts to really diverge around episode 18 of the show and Unit 3 plot. Which SRW would usually rewrite to fit its needs anyway.

Honestly a somewhat funny joke would be to do the opposite of Alpha and let the player subvert the Rebuild plot to keep it more inline with the original TV series.

As for The End Of, alpha 3 did absolutely nothing interesting with it that I can't imagine ever missing it's inclusion.

Bebpo

Banned
Eh, I think they're hugely different by the end of the second movie and I'm sure movie 4, like movie 3 will be nothing like EoE. Would like to see the mass produced evas with high-res detailed sprites someday.

Anyhow, as an aside, doesn't it seem weird how quiet it is right now leading up to Z3-1? Back before Z2-1 came out, Terada was blogging all the time about how exciting and how much fun he was having play testing and finishing up Z2-1 and talking about 2nd OGs and he seemed really excited about the future of SRW and these games and both games turned out awesome (outside the pacing in Z2 and the initial 17 stage slog in 2nd OGs), probably the best SRW games yet.

But right now it's like...super quiet. Yeah there's a PV2 coming and then the game will come out a few weeks later, but where's the hype? Where's the excitement. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic but it doesn't seem like Terada is particularly excited about Z3-1.

Maybe next year when he's working on finishing up Z3-2 and maybe mid-work on 3rd OGs and the next UX-team title he'll be more excited. Or maybe he's just bummed because all the modern mecha anime are boring in the post-Gundam OO/Geass/Mac 7/Gurren Lagann era so there's nothing exiting to add to SRW besides old-school titles and re-doing older entries in better sprites (Unicorn and STAR DRIVER aside).

But right now it's like...super quiet. Yeah there's a PV2 coming and then the game will come out a few weeks later, but where's the hype? Where's the excitement. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic but it doesn't seem like Terada is particularly excited about Z3-1.

It's been fairly ho-hum or quiet after 2nd OGs. I think the problem is that they didn't really announce anything really incredible or amazing for Z3 in terms of cast list. Even Gunbuster inclusion didn't illicit much of a reaction, not to mention it's appearance in the PV was incredibly dull and uninspired.

Outside of that what else is there to be excited about in a new SRW? The OG plot and crossover events? You won't get any of that until you start playing the game. Maybe announcing multiple OG characters would have helped, but I can't see myself being excited about Z3 until I am playing the game.

Bebpo

Banned
It's been fairly ho-hum or quiet after 2nd OGs. I think the problem is that they didn't really announce anything really incredible or amazing for Z3 in terms of cast list. Even Gunbuster inclusion didn't illicit much of a reaction, not to mention it's appearance in the PV was incredibly dull and uninspired.

Outside of that what else is there to be excited about in a new SRW? The OG plot and crossover events? You won't get any of that until you start playing the game. Maybe announcing multiple OG characters would have helped, but I can't see myself being excited about Z3 until I am playing the game.

Yeah, but even if the fans aren't that excited the people making the game should be, especially if they have confidence in the game they're making. Terada's lack of enthusiasm and the over company's lack of enthusiasm about the new game does not inspire a lot of confidence. I hope I'm wrong and that it's the best SRW yet, but really would like to hear Tereda hype it up more like he did Z2...

Bebpo

Banned
You know, I wonder if the next SRW from the UX team will be iOS. I was looking around to see if there had been any new Gundam G Generation games since the psp/wii one and apparently the series moved to iOS and Android (though it's become an rts :/ )

With the low sales of the handheld line of srw that UX came from and the big push Namco/Bandai has for mobile (OE was basically a mobile game released on psn), I wonder if they'll jump in with a full voice mainline srw with ds-era spritework sometime next year or late this year...

You know, I wonder if the next SRW from the UX team will be iOS. I was looking around to see if there had been any new Gundam G Generation games since the psp/wii one and apparently the series moved to iOS and Android (though it's become an rts :/ )

With the low sales of the handheld line of srw that UX came from and the big push Namco/Bandai has for mobile (OE was basically a mobile game released on psn), I wonder if they'll jump in with a full voice mainline srw with ds-era spritework sometime next year or late this year...
The worst case scenario, and I don't know how likely that is, is Z3 cratering and Bamco deciding to move everything to lower budget productions, possibly mobile only, with an episodic OE like model.

I'm doing my part and buying Z3 on both platforms but that's a concern.

Bebpo

Banned
Z3 will sell fine, by splitting Z2 into halves it was very profitable, hence why Namco is forcing them to do it again with Z3.

It's only the lower quality gba/ds sprite games that are on a downward spiral of sales.

KidDork

Made it to Chapter 12 in Hakai-Hen.

Do any of the jets/ship robots have healing properties for the other robots? I have a giant ship along on some missions (sorry, I've been trying to find out the name of it, but have failed. The ship is filled with a female crew, if that helps) and it doesn't seem capable of fighting. It just has a great shield capacity. When I go to move it, the direction grid blocks are yellow as opposed to red, so I was wondering what that might mean.

I know, it's amazing I've made it this far, isn't it?

Keylow415

Do any of the jets/ship robots have healing properties for the other robots? I have a giant ship along on some missions (sorry, I've been trying to find out the name of it, but have failed. The ship is filled with a female crew, if that helps) and it doesn't seem capable of fighting. It just has a great shield capacity. When I go to move it, the direction grid blocks are yellow as opposed to red, so I was wondering what that might mean.

look at the robots stats screen and if you see a wrench those are the units that can heal. for the ship u have rite now i think that's the gundam00 ship and it doesn't have attacks just keep it in the back and only use it to put units you cant heal in there if there very low on health.
srwz2_s19_1a.jpg

its this screen but this unit doesn't have heal its here the small boxs are this one has en recovery tho which is good to use when u run out of en. also if u want good info on stuff like units and if u get stuck go to this website it has a lot of good stuff on there http://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars/

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

When you see the yellow colored grid blocks when moving a unit, this means that the unit itself has the Leadership pilot skill, and any other unit that resides within that yellow field gets a hit/dodge bonus.

Hah I started playing Hakai Hen that way as well! It was so fun. I didn't even know I could save in the middle of a stage until after I got wrecked by Gaioh the first time he showed up.

KidDork

Hah I started playing Hakai Hen that way as well! It was so fun. I didn't even know I could save in the middle of a stage until after I got wrecked by Gaioh the first time he showed up.

Oh GOD the amount of times I've screwed up. I didn't know you could improve your robots until around Chapter 10. I had so much yen saved up I went on a shopping spree.

Tsukumo

i'm already stage 38 in OG1. just 3 more to go.

is there any sort of new game plus or carry over to OG2 ?

you'll get 25% of all the money you made (not the amount you actually have) and 25% of all the PP you got. The amount will also take into account the parts you collected (as additional money when you start Og2) but only for parts you don't have equipped during the last mission.

Super Robot Wars Z1 is now available for download on PSN at 1500 yen. The game weighs 3650mb and am downloading now.
Bought from the webstore and queued on my ps3 at home. I'll give it a try when I get home.

With 8,500 yen left in my wallet, I guess I should be okay for Z3 digital (I'm unclear if sales taxes apply on digital purchases and the game is 8,000 before taxes IIRC).

Both Z2s should be having price drops this week right?

Yep! To quote Palette Swap:

To sum up every release info we have for the next few months:

SRW Z : PS2 Archives collection (PSN game for PS3) - 2/19 - 1,500 yen

SRW Z2 Hakai Hen : The Best (PSN game for PSP/Vita) - 2/20 - 2,800 yen
SRW Z2 Saisei Hen : The Best (PSN game for PSP/Vita) - 2/20 - 2,800 yen

SRW Z3 Jigoku Hen : PS Vita (download and physical) - 10/4 - 7,120 yen
SRW Z3 Jigoku Hen : PS3 (download and physical) - 10/4 - 8,070 yen

(never too sure about prices and taxes so if anyone wants to correct me, please do)

Well, after playing a few Z maps, and playing Z for the first time in almost 5 years, I'm pleasantly surprised.

The game holds up very well by today's standards. Granted, it's a very late PS2 game and it looked pretty awesome back when it released but I didn't expect it to look that clean. It's still SD obviously but nothing eye gouging either.

One thing annoyed me in a good way: saving is super quick. That annoys me because the last few SRW games I played were OGs 2nd and Dark Prison on PS3 and Masoukishin III on Vita and all three games have really slowass save times (not to mention the confirmations and all that shit). The emulated version of Z makes that really glaring.

Here's to hoping they release more PS2 SRWs in this fashion and at that price point (Alpha 3 and the OGs at least).

Bebpo

Banned
Z is awesome. Probably my favorite cast list in a SRW (E7's story, Big O, Gainer, Aquarion, Zeta, fixed-Destiny, Gundam X, Turn A; just great stuff all around) and the sprites look great (I mean they're still using them in Z3).

I'd like to replay it some day for sure. Still have my PS2 though so don't need to rebuy this one.

That annoys me because the last few SRW games I played were OGs 2nd and Dark Prison on PS3
It's a lot faster if you install an SSD in your PS3.

Bebpo I'm surprised you like Z considering how much effort it is organizing squads esp. later in the game. It's a good game but the squad formations are kind of imbalanced towards TRI and squad management takes a while.

Bebpo

Banned
It's a lot faster if you install an SSD in your PS3.

Bebpo I'm surprised you like Z considering how much effort it is organizing squads esp. later in the game. It's a good game but the squad formations are kind of imbalanced towards TRI and squad management takes a while.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the gameplay in Z2 as it's speedy fast, but the storylines and characters in Z1 are worth the extra squad time. Z2's storylines are pretty good too, though.

Itsuki

I'm playing Masou Kishin III. Right now, I'm on stage 15. The game it's getting hard and a friend told me that later is worse.
Is the map DLC worth buying?

Top Bottom