• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Just pre-order Z3 from Nippon-Yasan. Woohooo can't hardly wait!!. Meanwhile, I'm very deep into SRW OE. To be honest, I quite enjoy it but huge roster is pain in the ass sometime because I occasionally have to grind the lv of some units to catch up with the rest.

CorvoSol

Which SRW is your favorite in terms of roster?

Mine is SRW Advance/Advance Portable. Love the series being repped there (G Gundam, Nadesico, Daimos, etc.), despite being a hard game.

Of the ones I've played and not counting Z3?

W, Z2, and then J. MX and Alpha don't mean much to me yet, and though I played the whole first chapter of OE and liked the protag's looks, I was also fairly ambivalent to that.

Bebpo

Banned
For me, Z, Z2 and W with a bit of a soft spot for K because Zoids and GunxSword were awesome.

Alpha series is ehhh to me. Alpha 1 roster is great, but game is slow and graphics are dated by modern standard, alpha 2 is a little faster, but still kind of slow, neat roster choices with brain powered and gaogaigar and cross one though. Alpha 3 cast is just ok and the game is boring filler grind.

plus I feel like OG-universe is making the alpha series unneeded since it's doing a better job with the OG plot of alpha (which is one of the weaker OG stories imo).

http://gamenyarth.blog67.fc2.com/

Yes. Seems that Maximum Break is being adapted to Z3. However looks like it's a bit different:

- Freely use any weapon.
- Ignores Sub-Unit's range attack.
- Give 1.2x damage.
- Ignores enemies, counter of special effects like barriers.
- Main + Sub or All Attack + All Attack is allowed.
- Allows your Sub-Unit to freely use any weapon other than assist attack. (Guess this means normal attacks for Sub-Unit are restricted?)
- All the attack can be used during after movement (I guess no restricting whether it has "P" or not?)
- Tag Tension needs to be Max. Once Maximum Break is used, Tag Tension goes back to 0.

Hmm... At that article... Sounds like the MB this time is only within the tag (so it's 2 pair system attack instead of 4)

Also the Z Chip info was sorta provided:

- Can buy items.
- There's a thing called Trader Scenario which allows you to talk with your ace pilots.
- Can purchase certain systems to be learned in game. (*This doesn't make much sense.) There's also some sort of requirement for it unlock using the Maximum Break and such.

Not translated by me, found this on SRW Genesis.

Original text

■マキシマムブレイク
 自由な武器で強力攻撃 サブユニットの射程無視 1,2倍ダメージ
 相手はカウンター、援護防御のバリア系の発動不可
 単体+単体攻撃、全体攻撃+全体攻撃でも発動可能
 マキシマムブレイクの強力なところはサブユニットはアシスト武器ではなく自由な武器で攻撃できる  
 通常はアシスト武器制限? すべて移動後武器になる
 タッグテンション満タンじゃないとつかえない つかうと0に
■Dトレーダー アイテム一覧
 敵を撃墜すると「Zチップ」を入手 これでパーツやシステムを購入
 トレーダーシナリオでエースパイロットのエーストークというイベントがある
 購入可能パーツ(リスト有り)と強化システムもは解放条件を満たすと買えるように
 解放条件はマキシマムブレイクを使用や実績等
 エクストラはそのインターミッションだけで買える  
■タッグテンション新マップ
■システムUNS
■M9D ファルケ(ベルファンガンクルーゾー)

Shouta

- Maximum Break
A super strong attack using weapons of your choice. Sub unit's shooting range is infinite and their damage is 1.2x
Enemies' counter and support defense barriers won't be activated. (probably Support D and barriers?)
Single + Single or All + All attacks available
The strength of the Maximum Break is in that the sub unit is not limited to the Assist weapon but any weapon of your choosing. Usually your limited to just the Assist weapon.
Everything will be Post-movement.
Requires full Tag Tension bar and that will go back to 0 when used.

- D-Trader
Defeat enemies to earn Z-Chips. You can use these to buy parts.
During a Trader scenario, you can have Ace Talk events with Ace Pilots
Buyable Parts and Upgrade Systems are unlocked by fulfilling conditions.
Requirements are things like using a Maximum Break or Achievements
The Extras are only available to be bought durign that Intermission.

Looks interesting, although you'll probably be able to ignore most of that and tear through the game with your favorite pilots like in Z2-2.

Bebpo

Banned
I started playing LoE2 just for the heck of it and it's kind of fun, but I checked the wiki for the scenario chart and LoE2 & 3 are both ~43 maps for the story and ~75-80 maps including all branches. I know maps are a lot shorter in LoE due to smaller cast, but still...damn, I thought these were small fanservice games of like 30-40 maps total like the DS SRWs. I'll play them some day, but the idea of spending 1-2 months playing through LoE2 right before I'm going to spend 2 months playing through Z3-1...bad idea. So will hold off until post Z3-1.

Bebpo

Banned
Don't really understand why they're giving Mazinger new animations for the same old attacks (at least that looks like a new cut-in for Breast Fire?), would rather they just give him some new attacks even if it means breaking canon with the anime and just making up some stuff.

Also, the FMP units look so bad. I don't even know why. They look like they took the team that was doing the Votoms animation and were like "if you're sick of tracing over the same scopedog animation for months with pallette swaps, here's some other micro sized plain looking military units you all can draw"

The realistic style of Z just doesn't seem to work with them. Hopefully they'll look better in motion.

Rei's Eva looks kind of weird too. Eva's weird. They're super cool mechs with really interesting character, story, world, music; but in terms of attack animations, most of their Alpha 3 animations were just them standing shooting guns which was pretty dull looking. Kind of hope they give them some more crazy attack animations in this game.

Anyhow, can't wait :) I think I'll probably stop looking at the screens and dodge trailer #2 since the game is only 2 months away and honestly, I don't think there's going to be that many new units/animations in Z3.1 coming from Z2, so I'd rather not spoil the few surprises that there are.

Did they decide putting effort in how maps look isn't worth it anymore? Even the PS1 games have better maps...

The maps took me by surprise too when I first saw that they are identical to Z2 and not Z1. 3D maps would have been cool but overall it does not bother me as I am just excited to play this game. From what I've seen on forums, it is bothering a lot of people though.

IT seems like they are staying closer to the PSP games than Z1 on PS2.

I think the existence of a PS3 version is just so people can play on that platform if they prefer.

I think if Z3 was a full fledged PS3 game we would have gotten the 3D map treatment, similar to the OGS games, Alpha series, etc.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, for sure. I have no doubt this was a vita game that got a ps3 port when vita sales were below expectation. It's going to be a portable srw that we're allowed to play on our tv if we want.

Yeah, after OG2, I'm certainly not expecting surround sound in Z3. Particularly if the PS3 game is essentially a Vita upport.
I'm still of two minds about the 2D maps. On the one hand, I really like the charm of detailed 2D maps and head icons. On the other hand, I wonder how that will work out on 50 inches. And it's the first time a mainline console game has had a 2D map since what? F Final? Pretty sure it wasn't this millennium lol.

Anyone remember the prices for the psn versions of Z and Z2's?

To sum up every release info we have for the next few months:

SRW Z : PS2 Archives collection (PSN game for PS3) - 2/19 - 1,500 yen

SRW Z2 Hakai Hen : The Best (PSN game for PSP/Vita) - 2/20 - 2,800 yen
SRW Z2 Saisei Hen : The Best (PSN game for PSP/Vita) - 2/20 - 2,800 yen

SRW Z3 Jigoku Hen : PS Vita (download and physical) - 10/4 - 7,120 yen
SRW Z3 Jigoku Hen : PS3 (download and physical) - 10/4 - 8,070 yen

(never too sure about prices and taxes so if anyone wants to correct me, please do)

File this under rumor but news regarding the new protagonist and heroine are supposed to be in the upcoming Famitsu.

http://gematsu.com/2014/02/3rd-super-robot-wars-z-jigoku-hen-protagonists-detailed

The main character is Hibiki Kamishiro (voiced by Ryuu Murakami). He is a transfer student in his second year of high school, and has long hair and angled eyes. Before changing schools, he was a beast hunter with his father. By chance, he boards an original mecha called “Gemion.” His weapon is a spear.

Our heroine is Suzuna Saijou (voiced by Ryouka Yuzuki). She is a 21-year-old intern who is very popular among students. She wears glasses, and is a well educated and responsible person. Her bust is average. Suzuna also seems to board the Gemion.

Also talks about the sub order system returning, now to wait and see if its true. Heh

I see they had to stick a high school student in at some point.

After getting characters with different backgrounds like Setsuko, Rand, Crowe from the previous games I was hoping they would do the same for Z3's protag.

I guess there's always the chance that it could be executed pretty well though. I suppose it doesn't really matter that much to me since my JP reading skill is trash tier anyway.

This info seems legit after seeing some scans. Main character looks like Xing Ke from Code Geass a tad bit while the female sub pilot looks a bit plain, maybe she's hiding something.

I hope there is a plot twist that would propel her out of the "plot device for the main character" and "designated romantic interest" role but I don't expect this to ever happen. Z2 certainly set a precedent that no such thing should be expected.

Bebpo

Banned
Wish they would've had two playable protagonists like Z1, but guessing they'll do two like Z2, with Z3-2 starting at least with a different lead.

We've come a long way from the end of the Alpha series with 4 playable protagonists upping the ante in the finale :(

Then again with Z's storyline of the zodiacs, each playable protag adds another zodiac and there's only 12 and that includes the villains usually, so maybe that was a bit limiting.

I hope there is a plot twist that would propel her out of the "plot device for the main character" and "designated romantic interest" role but I don't expect this to ever happen. Z2 certainly set a precedent that no such thing should be expected.

Plot twist: Instead of playing by the books the male main dies early on (later shows up as an enemy or something only to team up at the final stage) and the female main takes over.

Right now it strongly reminds me of W, K, L, and UX so much that it kind of hurts (at least in terms of main/sub setup).

Loona

Seems like the new protagonists will cover the Gemini part of the zodiac, or has that been done by someone else already?
Which ones are left by now anyway?

CorvoSol

So do you guys think the High School Protag will be attending Every Mecha Pilot Goes to High School Here HS? Cuz that was how it went down in J. (which is why the female protag in J is better.)

Shouta

I think Gemini is still available in regards to the Zodiacs so it would make sense if this two-seater was that. Maybe we'll get another two-form unit?

So do you guys think the High School Protag will be attending Every Mecha Pilot Goes to High School Here HS? Cuz that was how it went down in J. (which is why the female protag in J is better.)

Ok lets look at the new series that have a high school setting at the start: Evangelion, Gundam UC, Gunbuster, Aquarion EVOL, Full Metal Panic.

Yep looks like a safe bet to me.

I think Gemini is still available in regards to the Zodiacs so it would make sense if this two-seater was that. Maybe we'll get another two-form unit?

I hope, but I am setting my expectations low. Hell who knows, we might not even get an upgrade until Z3-2.
We won't get an upgrade until Z3-2.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like the new protagonists will cover the Gemini part of the zodiac, or has that been done by someone else already?
Which ones are left by now anyway?

Taken (and edited down) from a wiki:

• Sphere of the Wounded Lion: Representing Leo, this Sphere was housed inside the body of Mel Peter, subpilot of the Gunleon.
  • Sphere of the Sorrowful Maiden: Representing Virgo this Sphere is housed inside the Gunnery Carver of the Virgola Glory and upgraded it into the Nautilus Carver when it awakened. It is owned by Setsuko Ohara, the Virgola's pilot.
  • Sphere of the Swaying Balance: Representing Libra, this Sphere is the heart of the VX System, which powers the DM-Buster Unit Brasta and allows use of the dimension-warping SPIGOT weapons. It is owned by Crowe Brust.
  • Sphere of the Lying Black Sheep: Representing Aries, this Sphere resides inside the Arietis. Its owner Aim Liard. The sphere was taken from Aim by Uther Insalaum, but he did not make use of it before passing it to Asakim Dowen as part of sealing him within a ZONE.
  • Sphere of the Overflowing Water Vessel: Representing Aquarius, this Sphere resides inside the Seiouki The Insarius Arclinus It was owned by the King of the Holy Kingdom of Insalaum, Uther Insalaum, and was passed to Asakim Dowen upon his death as part of sealing him within a ZONE.
  • Sphere of the Truthful Goat: Representing Capricorn, this Sphere's original host is never explicitly stated, but it is implied to have belonged to Xine Espio. It is currently held by Asakim Dowen.

In short, 6 spheres are revealed and we're missing: Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Pisces

Are we assuming the MC is Gemini because the mech's name is Gemion, or was it actually revealed in the scans? I'm still kinda expecting that the image of the two girls that appeared in Asakim's attack are Gemini.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, with only 6 spheres remaining and we assume some of the antagonists and NPCs in the final chapter will have them along with the main character(s), I can see why they're not doing 2-4 playable characters.

I have a feeling, being the FINAL chapter, there's going to be a lot of NPC sphere holders showing up and being badass crazy powerful dudes. Especially in Z3-2.

Man, the Z storyline is soooooo much more interesting than the Alpha storyline. I'm actually really excited to see all the crazy OG stuff that happens, though I expect Z3-1 to be mainly set up and foreshadowing and all the crazy shit to go down in Z3-2 along with Gurren Lagan finale/Diebuster/etc....

Yeah, honestly not all that hyped about Z3-1 (still will play it day 1) but Z3-2, now that's gonna be exciting.

CorvoSol

Yeah, with only 6 spheres remaining and we assume some of the antagonists and NPCs in the final chapter will have them along with the main character(s), I can see why they're not doing 2-4 playable characters.

I have a feeling, being the FINAL chapter, there's going to be a lot of NPC sphere holders showing up and being badass crazy powerful dudes. Especially in Z3-2.

Man, the Z storyline is soooooo much more interesting than the Alpha storyline. I'm actually really excited to see all the crazy OG stuff that happens, though I expect Z3-1 to be mainly set up and foreshadowing and all the crazy shit to go down in Z3-2 along with Gurren Lagan finale/Diebuster/etc....

Yeah, honestly not all that hyped about Z3-1 (still will play it day 1) but Z3-2, now that's gonna be exciting.

Makes me wish I could actually experience Z's storyline.

Loona

Are we assuming the MC is Gemini because the mech's name is Gemion, or was it actually revealed in the scans? I'm still kinda expecting that the image of the two girls that appeared in Asakim's attack are Gemini.

With Asakim's aparent portrayal as some sort of evil Masaki from the OG series, one theory is that those girls are the counterparts to Masaki's talking cats Kuro and Shiro - I figure the Z3 games will give further clues into their identity.

Shouta

With Asakim's aparent portrayal as some sort of evil Masaki from the OG series, one theory is that those girls are the counterparts to Masaki's talking cats Kuro and Shiro - I figure the Z3 games will give further clues into their identity.

Hawt but poor Shiro got changed into a girl, lol.

Bebpo

Banned
Hmm, that link with the two girls doesn't work for me. Can someone re-host? I wanna see what you all are talking about.

Shouta

Here's a SUPER rough translation I did of the blurbs on the protags and original mech from Famitsu. If there are any errors, just blame my job. =P

Shouta said:
Hibiki Kamishiro

He is junior in high school that transferred into Tokyo's Science City. He was offered a position at the DEM Corporation, a company that is active in parallel worlds, by Agent called “AG” after piloting the mobile weapon named “Geminion” during a chance encounter with the machine. He’s become the test pilot for the unit to meet a certain objective. He’s isolated from others from deep within the recesses of his heart and has a resolve to achieve his goals even if it means throwing everything away. He spent time with his father, a retired soldier, running a beast hunting operation taking care of monsters from other parallel words before coming to the school. As a result, he has considerable field skills and survival instincts.

Saijou Suzune

She’s a 21-year-old woman and a newly appointed teacher-in-training at the high school that Hibiki transferred into. She’s a part of a new educational program at the Science City where although she’s a college student, she’ll be spending a full a year training at the appointed high school. She likes taking care of others and has good attitude towards people makes her a favorite among the students. Additonally, her likes have drawn her incredible popularity amongst some of the male students. Through a certain incident, she will board the Geminion alongside Hibiki.

Geminion

A product of the DEM Corporation, it is the test unit for the DEM (Dimensional Energy Machinery) Mobile Weapon series. It uses dimensional energy as its main energy source. It was caught in a dimensional quake while being tested in a dimensional space and fell to Earth along with Agent Robot “AG” [says Robo here but maybe mistake?] It’s equipped with the “TS-Demon” system that handles it’s tactical systems and dimensional energy controls. With this, the unit can respond to various ranges with the appropriate weaponry and its system called “D-Fort” that uses dimensional rifts as a defense mechanism. This allows the unit to have balanced in both offense and defense.

Top Bottom