• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

I'm playing Masou Kishin III. Right now, I'm on stage 15. The game it's getting hard and a friend told me that later is worse.
Is the map DLC worth buying?
It gets easier later if you buy skills like support defense and upgrade your best robots. Map DLC gives you some good parts.

It's a lot faster if you install an SSD in your PS3.
The thing is, I already have a crapload of digital stuff on PS3 and my 320GB is getting short so I'm not sure how an SSD would work in that scenario without blowing $500.
Thanks for the suggestion though as it will eventually become a realistic solution.

I'm playing Masou Kishin III. Right now, I'm on stage 15. The game it's getting hard and a friend told me that later is worse.
Is the map DLC worth buying?
I remember I had a bit of a hard time around these parts on my first lap.
There's one map common to all routes where you run into Eran and the enemies are significantly stronger there.

If you're playing with upgrades (some people don't), I'd say it's where the difficulty peaks. The next map is actually one with respawning gold golems so you should start amassing cash. From there, I focused on upgrading a few units and these units pretty much spearheaded every map till the end of the game. It works even better if you focus on the units that will get possession as they'll trounce pretty much anything.

Hmm, can't get my Z2.2 save to work on my Vita. :( I tried the proper methods for transferring PSP saves to Vita and when I try to load a save I just get an error. Meh.

Hmm, can't get my Z2.2 save to work on my Vita. :( I tried the proper methods for transferring PSP saves to Vita and when I try to load a save I just get an error. Meh.
Does your PSP run an older CFW? I remember having some of my saves (including Z2) messed when I moved between from my 1000 to 3000 and that was apparently the CFW I was running on the 1000. I had to jump through a few loops with a PSP program to change the save encryption or something IIRC.

Yeah, I had a feeling it was an issue with my CFW. Using a permanent CFW for my PSP 3000 and checking to see how to get this to work on my Vita. So basically I have to find a way to uncorrupt my PSP save files for it to work on my Vita?

Temporary solution: Downloaded some random save, not ideal but it works.

Bebpo

Banned
Been in the SRW mood lately with Z3's release creeping up, so picking up Alpha 3 again and right now I'm doing the 4 ways split for 3 maps each ~44-47 (last major split before final map rush).

I'm actually enjoying Alpha 3 a lot more with these splits and smaller deploy counts. Also helps that this is all licensed maps and the OG stuff is barely there. I feel like Alpha 3 has good stuff, but the biggest flaws are the slog of enemy grunt squads that make the gameplay focused on getting morale fast for MAP units and taking out a bunch at a time, and the OG story being waaay too many maps of the game considering it's not all that amazing.

I was also thinking about Z3 and how if we knew the combined series list from Z3-1 and Z3-2 it'd probably be more exciting and impressive.

I mean imagine if the announcement for Z3 was: Aquarion Evol, Eureka Seven AO, Diebuster, Gundam Unicorn, Star Driver + EW/OO Movie/More Votoms; would be a lot more exciting sounding. I feel like with E7 removed from the cast, AO feels pretty certain for Z3-2 along with Diebuster fwiw and still have my fingers crossed for Star Driver being the Super Robo addition for Z3-2 along with Diebuster.

Bebpo

Banned
I just remembered that Z3's release is in April.

I forgot March is in-between that.

At least there's a bunch of stuff coming in March though.

Yup. Still a bit of a wait, but RGG Isshin is out in a few days, we got a new MGS, Thief, Infamous, Dark Souls, etc...; should be something for everyone! I'm more bummed that I'll be out of town the weekend after Z3-1 comes out for Coachella, so will only get to play the first bunch of intro maps before I get some time to really sink into it. Hope it starts better than 2nd OGs!

Meanwhile my goal is to use March to finally play through Nier ^^; and maybeeeeeee finish @3 (lolol, yeah right; but I do think at this rate I'll finish it by mid-year after playing it for the last 3-4 years)

isual

finally got my alpha 3 today after almost a month in postal...

anyways, been playing z1, and the tri groups are confusing, but i do get that you have to use the 3rd formation to do an all unit attack.

I'm actually enjoying Alpha 3 a lot more with these splits and smaller deploy counts. Also helps that this is all licensed maps and the OG stuff is barely there. I feel like Alpha 3 has good stuff, but the biggest flaws are the slog of enemy grunt squads that make the gameplay focused on getting morale fast for MAP units and taking out a bunch at a time, and the OG story being waaay too many maps of the game considering it's not all that amazing.

Yeah if there was one game that doesn't have morale as problem then Alpha 3 would be it. You can have all your main units at 130 will before the turn starts if you are so inclined.

Yeah if there was one game that doesn't have morale as problem then Alpha 3 would be it. You can have all your main units at 130 will before the turn starts if you are so inclined.
Yeah, that works for SP as well, which contributes to the morale situation in turn.

Alpha 3 is awesome because this huge cast, it cranks the power levels to 11 on both sides and its stakes are nothing short of cosmic.
But on the flip side, it means the game is fairly bloated with its squad system, you have to manage way too much units and as a result, by the endgame you can abuse pretty much anything, be it morale, SP, EN/ammo, playing several times a turn.

I love the game but it's something of a clusterfuck at times.

Bebpo

Banned
Abuse Ideon.

How the hell do you even use Ideon btw? I heard he was overpowered and amazing so I maxed him early on, but I'm like 100+ hours into the game, at endgame and Ideon still just has 3 ok attacks and every once and a while on like the LAST TURN of the stage he'll get a 4th attack, but since my team is so overpowered they finish the maps before he gets any good attacks.

Am I right in thinking that in order for him to unlock his later attacks he needs to take damage and that causes the lines to be drawn? Because the problem is he's got way too much HP/Armor and never takes much damage even out front so he never gets the damn lines.

I unlocked the Ideon Gun in the story stage it was in and then I've never seen it again because I can't get him past unlocking his 4th attack or something. I just don't get it.

I also don't get how Basara kills enemies. Like sometimes he does no damage and just lowers their morale and stuff but sometimes the enemies BLOW UP like install kill when he counters against them. Don't understand this either.

How the hell do you even use Ideon btw? I heard he was overpowered and amazing so I maxed him early on, but I'm like 100+ hours into the game, at endgame and Ideon still just has 3 ok attacks and every once and a while on like the LAST TURN of the stage he'll get a 4th attack, but since my team is so overpowered they finish the maps before he gets any good attacks.

Ah you fell for the classic blunder of upgrading health and armor because you were not aware of how the Ide gauge works. You are supposed to throw it out there and let things beat it up until Ide gets pissed off enough to wipe out the entire map.

Also there are certain sections of the game where it gets kinda abusive

KDzwDEr.jpg

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I also don't get how Basara kills enemies. Like sometimes he does no damage and just lowers their morale and stuff but sometimes the enemies BLOW UP like install kill when he counters against them. Don't understand this either.

In Alpha 3, for Basara to actually damage anyone, it has to be specifically Macross 7 enemies, Protodevlin. You have to remember, Basara doesn't actually have real weapons, he only fights with sound/music, and the Protodevlin are the only ones affected by it. (Its been a while, but there might one or two more different enemy types he can actually damage, but I don't remember)

If Basara (or any of the non-attacker Macross 7 units) attacks anyone else, it'll just cause status effects/morale drops.

To get around this, I usually stuck each member of Basara's band in a platoon that had attackers in them. Usually for thematic sake, I just had them mixed in with Macross or Macross Plus units. Then swapped out leaders depending on the situation.

EDIT: Oh, and again, been a long time, but I think Mike from GGG can also damage Protodevlin with his music?

Tsukumo

just started alpha 3. chose the super robot male protag.

any tips ?

To understand Ideon you need to check his Ideon gauge. The overall idea behind him is that he's not supposed to kill but to attack and damage everything in his path. Every time you gain a level toward his berserk state, a bar will appear on his Ideon gauge (it will be highlighted by a gif on the main screen). To use his full power (Ideon Barrier and the two map attacks) you need to keep him under 30% of his health.
If it gets destroyed, you get a game over.

The ideon gauge
- loses one point for each kill (that's why so many people couldn't activate it)
- gains 2 points everytime he is attacked, doesn't matter if he gets hit or he evades the attack
- gains 2 points if a teammate is "killed"
- gets 2/5 points if at the start of a turn he is not at full health. 2 if he's below 90% and above 60%, 5 for anything below 60%

Levels on the ideon gauge and what they unlock
lvl 2 - 20 points. +100 to armor +200 to every weapon. Ide Barrier becomes available (activates only when you go below 30% health)
lvl 3 - 30 points. In addition to previous bonuses, he gets +40 En, +5 manoeuvrability and another +200 to weapons. Gets his 360 degrees missile attack.
lvl 4 - 40 points. In addition to previous bonuses, he gets +50 En, +5 manoeuvrability, +300 armor, +1 movement, another +200 to all weapons and his Sea Terrain compatibility becomes A.
lvl 5- 60 points. The berserk state. In addition to previous bonuses, En becomes infinite, another +5 to manoeuvrability, another 200 to weapons, another +1 to movement, another 200 to armor, every terrain compatibility upgrades to S, and Ideon Gun and Ideon Sword get unlocked (to use them your health has to be below 60%). When your health hits less than 30% you'll get the map attack version of both the Ideon Gun and the Ideon Sword.
When you use a map attack, every destroyed unit will count as -1 point of your Ide gauge.

The idea is that you keep mercy and iron wall on him at all times so that every weapon and the Ide barrier will always be available. He is especially useful on Ex-hard because mid-way through the game the enemies will be so strong that you can keep him in that state as long as you want, prepping up even the toughest bosses for an easy kill by your weaker units.

isual

To understand Ideon you need to check his Ideon gauge. The overall idea behind him is that he's not supposed to kill but to attack and damage everything in his path. Every time you gain a level toward his berserk state, a bar will appear on his Ideon gauge (it will be highlighted by a gif on the main screen). To use his full power (Ideon Barrier and the two map attacks) you need to keep him under 30% of his health.

The ideon gauge
- loses one point for each kill (that's why so many people couldn't activate it)
- gains 2 points everytime he is attacked, doesn't matter if he gets hit or he evades the attack
- gets 2/5 points if at the start of a turn he is not at full health. 2 if he's below 90% and above 60%, 5 for anything below 60%

lvl 2 - 20 points. +100 to armor +200 to every weapon. Ide Barrier becomes available (activates only when you go below 30% health)
lvl 3 - 30 points. In addition to previous bonuses, he gets +40 En, +5 manoeuvrability and another +200 to weapons. Gets his 360 degrees missile attack.
lvl 4 - 40 points. In addition to previous bonuses, he gets +50 En, +5 manoeuvrability, +300 armor, +1 movement, another +200 to all weapons and his Sea Terrain compatibility becomes A.
lvl 5- 60 points. The berserk state. In addition to previous bonuses, En becomes infinite, another +5 to manoeuvrability, another 200 to weapons, another +1 to movement, another 200 to armor, every terrain compatibility upgrades to S, and Ideon Gun and Ideon Sword get unlocked (to use them your health has to be below 60%). When your health hits less than 30% you'll get the map attack version of both the Ideon Gun and the Ideon Sword.
When you use a map attack, every destroyed unit will count as -1 point of your Ide gauge.

The idea is that you keep mercy and iron wall on him at all times so that every weapon and the Ide barrier will always be available. He is especially useful on Ex-hard because mid-way through the game the enemies will be so strong that you can keep him in that state as long as you want, prepping up even the toughest bosses for an easy kill by your weaker units.

when you say gif on the main screen, is that the gif during the intermission or during the battle map? if you've got a pic to show, that would be appreciated.

One thing I did in Alpha 3 to still get access to Ide gun/sword (despite the souped stats) was to put Ide in a squad with an EVA. Also add a map attack for good measure.

Not sure if it's open knowledge but attacks negated by an AT Field still counts as a hit.

when you say gif on the main screen, is that the gif during the intermission or during the battle map? if you've got a pic to show, that would be appreciated.

There will be an animation in the middle of the battle map and when it looks like

VAZVoYN.jpg

That's when Ide is at full power. It should have the gauge on its stat screen somewhere as well I think.

Not sure if it's open knowledge but attacks negated by an AT Field still counts as a hit.
Ideon also has a barrier, things just need to attack it for the gauge to go up, it doesn't need to actually get hit. You still want it to get hit because the health needs to be low enough for the map version of the attacks to be available.

Bebpo

Banned
Ah, my problem is I always have him kill the enemies he fights since he's decently strong. I only get to gauge level 3 by the end of maps.

Will try sticking him out front and defending attacks instead of countering them.

Keylow415

The ideon gauge

i'v beat this game three times and didn't know this lol

isual

There will be an animation in the middle of the battle map and when it looks like

VAZVoYN.jpg

That's when Ide is at full power. It should have the gauge on its stat screen somewhere as well I think.

Ideon also has a barrier, things just need to attack it for the gauge to go up, it doesn't need to actually get hit. You still want it to get hit because the health needs to be low enough for the map version of the attacks to be available.

oh. fosho. is it akin to when any of the mazingers get that gif; like when mazinkaiser points his finger to the sky gif?

zeroshiki

Ideon is crazy broken in Alpha 3 and by the later stages it just becomes a game of how long until the Ideon gauge fills up and after that you get to destroy everything in sight.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't Ideon also gonna kill ally unit with his MAP? if so, what's the point? aside if you don't mind of course.

I'm actually remembering how Ideon acts in FF when he uses the berserk MAP, but I think its pretty much the same in Alpha 3...

Ideon's direction when it uses the MAP in berserk mode is determined by how many targets it can get.

So the idea is you need to actually keep track of the Ide guage yourself, and when the Ideon is almost at berserk mode, move all your units behind the Ideon in the general direction you want it to shoot the MAP off (or just move all your units out of the area of attack). To be even safer, and lower the target count, you might want to shove some units into a battleship.

Its a trade-off really. Keep track of the Ide Gauge points yourself and make sure your units aren't viable targets when it goes berserk, and you'll be able to control one of the most broken SRW weapons ever.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, I see what you guys mean about Ideon, holy shit is it overpowered. Even without the map attacks, with infinite energy and Ideon Gun being an ALL attack he can just sit and counter all day doing 30-40k on all units which will take all the enemies out.

Almoooost done finishing these 4 way branches, then just straight endgame 12 stage rush with almost no branching at all outside like 2 maps (don't care about alternate ending stages). Pretty excited for the endgame. Going to abuse Ideon since I haven't been doing that all game. Getting me hyped for Z3-1!

I can't access his map attacks though :( I'm playing on normal and he's about 50% upgraded in armor/HP and once he gets below 60% or whatever activates his HP regen, between Ideon Barrier + HP regen he can't lose HP lol, the enemies don't hit hard enough and he regens too much HP to ever get below 30% Maybe I should shoot him with my own map attacks.

Almoooost done finishing these 4 way branches, then just straight endgame 12 stage rush with almost no branching at all outside like 2 maps (don't care about alternate ending stages).

But it will feel like you are doing multiple branches because every stage consists of two or three maps. Ahahahaha, enjoy your alpha end game.

zeroshiki

mayn. is alpha 3 the hardest of all the games I bought ?

SRW games aren't really hard per se. Alpha 3 in particular is just tedious because of the map size and the number of enemies. This is, of course, assuming you built up your units properly and aren't messing around with weird combinations like Bosborot Main, Eva sub.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, tedious yes, hard no. Since I just want to get through Alpha 3 for the story I'm playing it on normal and being used to playing SRW games on the hard route, Alpha 3 on normal is a joke lol. The bosses die in 3-4 attacks on a single turn. Everyone has hot blood and tamashi and plenty of SP and their best attacks do crazy damage.

Unlike 2nd OGs or even Z2, I haven't needed to refuel a unit once! Whereas in those games I always need my EN refuelers close by as people run out of EN all the time. In Alpha 3 you have so many units that the maps end before people start running out of EN.

But yeah, some of those turns sitting and countering attack after attack is mind-numbing. Auto-attack on counter really should select ALL attacks when countering a 3 enemy squad. Pretty annoying to have to manually select the ALL attack on counter every time.

isual

I'm not sure guys. I just find alpha 3 a bit harder because you have these squads of up to 4 units.

I'm very much used to just the simpler single unit.

Keylow415

I'm not sure guys. I just find alpha 3 a bit harder because you have these squads of up to 4 units.

I'm very much used to just the simpler single unit.

there are so many power full units in the game. the squad system is really not that hard to use put your most powerful units as leaders and the others just use them to finish grunts. don't really have to use all the units they can just be there if u need to use them. also all attacks is your best friend for grunts even if the unit is not strong. use Focus then just due all attacks. if the unit die so what its not an important unit but its good to use to take out group of grunts. hope this helps a little.

Sinople

I've been slowly progressing with my playthrough of Alpha 2 (up to map 26) and I've come to the conclusion that its biggest flaw is how easy it is.
I've got all but 4 skill points without even trying and am playing on hard as a result, but it's as "hard" as a newer Fire Emblem on the easiest difficulty. No strategy needed, no need to use half of the systems.
Platoons? I only use the leader. Support? I forgot about it. Terrain properties? What's that? Repair/Fuel units and munitions? Never need those. Positioning units out of range and using a decoy? lol.

All I do is mindlessly charging with all my troops with the occasional spirit command against strong foes and for healing.
It really is a shame. You have all those good systems but they lose their purpose if you're not forced to use them at least a little.

Worse is that, thinking about it, I wouldn't want to play a difficult SRW. When now I need 1 to 2 hours to clear one map just by rushing through it, I can't imagine how long it would take to finish the whole game if I had to plan a strategy, move my units carefully and restart from the beginning of the map if things turn ugly.

I haven't played the more recent games so the balance may have been rectified but, still, here's a couple of changes I would do if I was in charge of the games:
- Cut by half the number of maps and series in each game instead of cutting 1 game in 2 in what apparently amounts to spread one game on twice the number of maps for twice the price.
- Reduce the number of units to deploy and the number of enemy units.
- Stop using cheap strategies like reinforcements and bullet sponges to artificially increase the difficulty. Instead, focus on enemy units placement and diverse objectives other than "destroy everyone".
That's never going to happen but the pacing and variety would be some much better and the games just so much more fun... for me at least.

Mandoric

Banned
Iiiiinteresting. Z3 now has a plain "(C) Dynamic Planning" in its copyright block, in addition to the "(C) Nagai/DP/Kurogane-ya" for Shin Mazinger TV and the "(C) Nagai/Ishikawa/DP/Getter Armageddon Production Committee" for Getter.

isual

there are so many power full units in the game. the squad system is really not that hard to use put your most powerful units as leaders and the others just use them to finish grunts. don't really have to use all the units they can just be there if u need to use them. also all attacks is your best friend for grunts even if the unit is not strong. use Focus then just due all attacks. if the unit die so what its not an important unit but its good to use to take out group of grunts. hope this helps a little.

you know how there's 3 formations to select while attacking ? which one is the preferred one to use ?

Bebpo

Banned
You're probably talking about:

1. Support attack (attack and then neighboring unit attacks)
2. Group attack (everyone in your squad attacks for tiny damage before your leader attacks for full damage)
3. Single attack (leader only attacks)

If you're going to use ALL attacks or MAP attacks it will force #3

#1 is good for doing extra damage on bosses or ships, #2 is good when the enemy has support defense and you don't have an ALL attack, #3 I dunno, I use it when I just want to save time and not sit through watching all my squad units do tiny attacks; mainly on bosses and stuff.

Jubern

Been playing Z1 again on PS3, I finished stage 15 on Rand's route. I find it a bit harder than most episodes I played, strangely. Prevail is actually very useful... Or a major pain in the ass depending of which side of the fence you are lol

I'll try to finish it before Z3-1 comes out but I don't think I'll be able too, too much games and too little time with how late I come home every night after work :(

zeroshiki

Picked up Z on PSN and was surprised how butt ugly the 3D looked. It didn't look like that in my memories! God. I'm glad they dropped the faux 3D on the field and just stuck with sprites in the PSP versions.

Been playing Z1 again on PS3, I finished stage 15 on Rand's route. I find it a bit harder than most episodes I played, strangely. Prevail is actually very useful... Or a major pain in the ass depending of which side of the fence you are lol

I can't imagine anything being worse than 3 bosses with phase shift armor (or some other barrier equivalent) on multiple early game stages.

isual

alol. my copies of K and L arrived in the mail today. After almost a month!

both are brand new copies; so. any tips for those two games ?

i'm not sure if I should go and get W as well.

How is that 3ds SRW? has anyone played that ?

Keylow415

alol. my copies of K and L arrived in the mail today. After almost a month!

both are brand new copies; so. any tips for those two games ?

i'm not sure if I should go and get W as well.

How is that 3ds SRW? has anyone played that ?

W is the best DS SRW to me. good original, great cast, not hard but very fun to play.

Top Bottom