• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Vita since it will be easier to move around and play.

I considered the PS3 version but after Z2 I prefer the portability.

Of course if it was a game specifically designed for the PS3 with a Vita port I'd likely go for the PS3 version in that case.

Bebpo

Banned
Getting PS3 to play on the big screen, but honestly wish it was a cross-buy or there was some sort of bundle for $100 because Z2 was really nice to play on a portable and playing in bed and stuff. Plus it'll probably look better at the Vita resolution than on a big screen.

But yeah, can't afford $150+ to get both versions, so will just play it on the couch like 2nd OGs.

So how do you all upgrade your units typically?

I usually put around 3 upgrades in HP followed by whatever stat that will help the unit the most (so maneuverability for reals, armor for supers, en for those that use a lot of it).

It's really only towards the later parts of the game where I will start putting in more than 3 upgrades in a unit because I don't want to steam roll through maps. This way I also keep a large amount of cash so if there are some units that heavily need upgrades later on I'll almost always have enough funds to do so.

I guess a more concise way to put it would be that I upgrade to bring units up to where I think they should be if I find that their performance is lacking.

Bebpo

Banned
Weapons first, but if a unit has trouble hitting then some stuff into accuracy, if it's a super that gets murdered then into armor and hp, a real with trouble dodging then into evade,

but most of all weapons to take out enemies the quickest.

Weapons first
Yeah, pick a single unit and max out it's weapons. Usually ends up being the OG unit. After you start having a lot of money left over supplement it's weak points with upgrades to energy,armor,mobility or whatever.

After that you should have a single unit that can solo pretty much everything so you are free to upgrade the rest of your units in any way you want. I kinda follow the same pattern with everything else though as well.

Edit: Used to be a bit harder and easier for OGs. There you would Max out the M950 followed by TK-Knuckle for Ryusei or Revolver Stake for Kyosuke.

Bebpo

Banned
I go a bit more even with getting my favorite units up to 50% weapons and dodge/accuracy/armor/hp before I start going to 100% since that gets really expensive.

CorvoSol

I usually put around 3 upgrades in HP followed by whatever stat that will help the unit the most (so maneuverability for reals, armor for supers, en for those that use a lot of it).

It's really only towards the later parts of the game where I will start putting in more than 3 upgrades in a unit because I don't want to steam roll through maps. This way I also keep a large amount of cash so if there are some units that heavily need upgrades later on I'll almost always have enough funds to do so.

I guess a more concise way to put it would be that I upgrade to bring units up to where I think they should be if I find that their performance is lacking.

I pick three favorite units and dump all my money into them until they're maxed.

This time around it'll be Arbalest, Zeta Gundam, and I'm not sure where the third unit will come from. Lot of top contenders, but probably I'll go with Gurren Lagann.

Bebpo

Banned
I pick three favorite units and dump all my money into them until they're maxed.

This time around it'll be Arbalest, Zeta Gundam, and I'm not sure where the third unit will come from. Lot of top contenders, but probably I'll go with Gurren Lagann.

Yeah, I'm always about the lead Gundam(s) so Unicorn and Quan[T] are getting maxed in my game. Then Gurren Lagann, Gunbuster and Eva, Mazinger, Aquarion Evol as I tend to run heavy on the super robot side and hardly upgrade more than a couple reals.

CorvoSol

Yeah, I'm always about the lead Gundam(s) so Unicorn and Quan[T] are getting maxed in my game. Then Gurren Lagann, Gunbuster and Eva, Mazinger, Aquarion Evol as I tend to run heavy on the super robot side and hardly upgrade more than a couple reals.

Oh shoot, forgot EVA was in. Well Shinji will get priority over Simon, then. No doubt by the end of the game I'll have maxed TTGL, and a bunch of others, but I always pick three and roll from there.

Bebpo

Banned
I can never pick three ;_;

I liked how in Z2 you could pretty much max like 10+ units in one run lol Hope Z3's the same!

Zeta, Nu(hopefully Hi-Nu!),Unicorn, Qanta, Scopedog, Original, Eva, Gunbuster, Getter, Arbalest....more too I'm sure. Hah yeah there are a lot of units that I want to max out.

I forgot to mention weapons. Since the cost for weapons seems to scale the most I tend to only put points into that when it's absolutely necessary.

I also always FUB the OG unit first (usually towards the end), then the units that get past 3-5 bars will likely go into my end-game team since I'm only going to spend more on them if I like them enough to take a slot.

I completely forgot that EVA is one of the new series that was added. Has there been any news on whether or not 01 will have a berserk mode (presumably activating at 0 HP like previous games)?

Every SRW (since EX on Snes) I've played, I always do my upgrade like this:

- 5 bars to weapon and accuracy of OG robot. 3 bars to speed.
- Emphasis the outstanding stat from each mech. If it's heavy armored like Mazinga, I max its defense. If it's a unit with high mobility like Dunbine, I max its speed. If it hits very hard like Shin Getter, I max its weapon. If it doesn't have any outstanding stat, I don't use it.

Bebpo

Banned
I forgot to mention weapons. Since the cost for weapons seems to scale the most I tend to only put points into that when it's absolutely necessary.

I also always FUB the OG unit first (usually towards the end), then the units that get past 3-5 bars will likely go into my end-game team since I'm only going to spend more on them if I like them enough to take a slot.

I completely forgot that EVA is one of the new series that was added. Has there been any news on whether or not 01 will have a berserk mode (presumably activating at 0 HP like previous games)?

I want Eva to have a 3rd impact attack ;)

I actually think they might do it

Bebpo

Banned
REBUILD

Which means that it's going to get pretty crazy at the end of Z3-1 with the final 2.22 battle (BEAST MODE). And Z3-2 if it covers 3.33 (likely) will have some pretty nuts 4th impacting Adams & Spears & Kaoru stuff for its endgame.

CorvoSol

REBUILD

Which means that it's going to get pretty crazy at the end of Z3-1 with the final 2.22 battle (BEAST MODE). And Z3-2 if it covers 3.33 (likely) will have some pretty nuts 4th impacting Adams & Spears & Kaoru stuff for its endgame.

The endgame of the Z3-2 could be pretty awesome. I mean, just considering the number of series that'll wrap up and all.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I mean the endgame for the OG story is going to be epic with all these Sphere users. Add in the universe-scale end for possibly Gunbuster/Diebuster, Eva 3.33, Shin Mazinger, Gurren Lagann if they wait and do the final battle in Z3-2, Aquarion Evol, etc... a lot of major universe shattering events in that finale.

This one could go with a more local earth/space finale with OO Movie/EW/FMP/CCA.

Gonna be fun having Rand/Setsuko/Crowe and this new guy all together in Z finale ;) Even if I don't like Crowe's mech or its animations, he's a great character and it'll be awesome when he joins back in.

CorvoSol

Yeah, I mean the endgame for the OG story is going to be epic with all these Sphere users. Add in the universe-scale end for possibly Gunbuster/Diebuster, Eva 3.33, Shin Mazinger, Gurren Lagann if they wait and do the final battle in Z3-2, Aquarion Evol, etc... a lot of major universe shattering events in that finale.

This one could go with a more local earth/space finale with OO Movie/EW/FMP/CCA.

Gonna be fun having Rand/Setsuko/Crowe and this new guy all together in Z finale ;) Even if I don't like Crowe's mech or its animations, he's a great character and it'll be awesome when he joins back in.

While FMP's ending isn't on the same scale as TTGL's, I do like that the stakes in Sigma were
the entirety of history.
I think, actually, that FMP Sigma's
Leonard's scheme to return history to the way he thinks it ought to be
would fit really well with Rebuild 3's theme of
you cannot undo bad things.

Wait, are they using TV series Gurren Lagann or the movie version? If they're using the movie version I can see why they're having TTGL show up in this one instead of Z3.2. Having Diebuster show up in Z3.2 would be pretty cool as well, that's one series I'd like to see added considering Gunbuster has made a few appearances so far.

Since they're redoing a bunch of the old units, I wouldn't be surprised if Crowe ends up getting the same treatment since his animations did seem a bit on the wonky side for both versions of the Li-Brasta. I wonder which version he's going to show up in since I'm not sure if you can transfer save data from Z2 to Z3.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah. I never watched the movie versions but I hear there's an additional form for the last battle so even if he gets 2 upgrades in Z3-1 (both seen in the trailers), he'll still have one final upgrade they can save for Z3-2 if they want to end GL in that finale instead.

But they could still end GL this game if they want. Could go either way.

At least Google translate helps out a little here.

Aquarion EVOL system is the same as before with the highest stat being shared amongst all pilots.

Lambda Driver and NT-D mode are damage/maneuverability/armor increases (a barrier is mentioned in the Lambda Driver entry but IIRC the Unicorn has one as well in the OVA when using NT-D).

NT-D mode has a 5 turn limit though. I think that the limit will only really be noticeable during late game stages. Many SR's require you to finish things quickly so I don't expect the limit to be an issue.

Looking at the PV2 again I'm really liking the little details in the animations, like the Unicorn's beam magnum loading another cartridge for the second shot.

Keylow415

At least Google translate helps out a little here.

Aquarion EVOL system is the same as before with the highest stat being shared amongst all pilots.

Lambda Driver and NT-D mode are damage/maneuverability/armor increases (a barrier is mentioned in the Lambda Driver entry but IIRC the Unicorn has one as well in the OVA when using NT-D).

NT-D mode has a 5 turn limit though. I think that the limit will only really be noticeable during late game stages. Many SR's require you to finish things quickly so I don't expect the limit to be an issue.

Looking at the PV2 again I'm really liking the little details in the animations, like the Unicorn's beam magnum loading another cartridge for the second shot.

i wonder if u can reuse it after a certain number of turns like a reload the NT-D or its a one time thing per stage. but i guess in NT-D mode is going to be hella strong and make Unicorn one of the best units in the game in NT-D mode

i wonder if u can reuse it after a certain number of turns like a reload the NT-D or its a one time thing per stage. but i guess in NT-D mode is going to be hella strong and make Unicorn one of the best units in the game in NT-D mode

According to Cashin0 on GameFAQs, you can only use NT-D once per map.
Courtesy of Cashin0:

O Mobile Suit UC's characteristic system
< NT-D System >
System equipped to the Unicorn Gundam (Unicorn Mode). When Morale goes over 130, command "NT-D Activate" will become usable. Using the command will transform unit into Destroy Mode, and machine parameters will be boosted. However, after 5 turns, will automatically revert to Unicorn Mode.

Screenshots, top-left most and going right:
1) NT-D System cut-in
2) Selecting NT-D Activate command from menu
3) Confirmation screen for activating NT-D. Note that it also says that, after usage, NT-D will not be usable for the remainder of the map (same as Gravion and Dancouger Nova).
4~9) Beam Magnum attack. I think this is the Dynamic Kill version since it features the Beam Magnum shot going through the enemy whereas the PV2 version didn't.

Markun

The BGM version of the 2nd PV is up on Nico.

It sounds like they're just reusing remixes for the older series which is a shame to me because I really would have liked to see them update the songs so they're Second OGs quality or something.

Here's the songs they used for the new entries that appeared in the PV.

Full Metal Panic -
Tatakau M9
Aquarion EVOL -
Kimi no Shinwa
Evangelion Rebuild -
Eva-02
Gunbuster -
Top wo Nerae! ~Fly High~
Unicorn Gundam -
UNICORN

Now it's time for me to pray for Broken Mirror.

Markun

Meh, a lot of reused tracks but I guess that's not surprising. Correct me if I'm wrong but Z3 has custom soundtracks right?

According to what I've read, the game does support custom soundtrack. Now my dream of playing Flash Gordon while the Big O does Sudden Impact can finally come true.

Bebpo

Banned

To be fair, it's not like most maps in the Z series last over 5 turns :p

Bebpo

Banned
ughhhh, that last Mac 7 stage in Alpha 3 (stage 49) was just ughhhh. So long and a bunch of bosses so you use up your SP and then FINAL BOSS with a billion HP and 50% damage neutralizer. Was.not.fun.

Not looking forward to the rest of this boss rush endgame...

Top Bottom