• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Bebpo

Banned
Hmmm, so I watched the last couple of Mac 7 eps to see the original Mac 7 finale the final Alpha 3 stage was based on. Was pretty close. Which got me trying to remember about Mac 7 in Z2-2 and if there was actually any story.

So I looked up Mac 7 Dynamite and uh...yeah, they didn't cover any of that in Z2-2. Was just the songs I guess? I wonder if that means in Z3 they could cover Mac 7 Dynamite's storyline at some point.

Singing space whales just doesn't seem like particularly great plot for SRW. Except for a bit of really dumb crossover with Gundam SEED I guess.

Tsukumo

So how do you all upgrade your units typically?

I usually put around 3 upgrades in HP followed by whatever stat that will help the unit the most (so maneuverability for reals, armor for supers, en for those that use a lot of it).

It's really only towards the later parts of the game where I will start putting in more than 3 upgrades in a unit because I don't want to steam roll through maps. This way I also keep a large amount of cash so if there are some units that heavily need upgrades later on I'll almost always have enough funds to do so.

I guess a more concise way to put it would be that I upgrade to bring units up to where I think they should be if I find that their performance is lacking.

Depends on the game.
I usually start a no upgrade run (no parts, unless I know the game has ex-hard, in which case I use parts on my first run as... practice) then upgrade if I see that powerful units cannot takedown a grunt in two shots.
The way I upgraded at first was to put a point on every trait (hp, en and so on) every ten or so mission, now (in both Z-2) I just follow the game's "lead" and I upgrade based on the additional units: say I get Freedom with two points in every trait, I put two points in every trait of every unit. I get King Kitan with three points, I put three points in every unit.
No additional skills and no parts.
I'm still not entirely sure you can finish both games with a no upgrade run, but judging from the amount of spirit points I guess it's doable. Thing is, you end up having to micromanage the game so much you loose the fun in watching every single animation and it becomes impossible to bring along the weaker units. The way I play now I can bring along all Geass units without too much trouble.
By the way, playing Z-1 again on Ps3: it's sad to see how much units like Gravion and Seed Destiny have been put aside for the sake of the new series in Z-2, though I have to admit 00 Gundam in Z-2 Destruction was a blast to play through. Taisaaaaa XD

CorvoSol

Singing space whales just doesn't seem like particularly great plot for SRW. Except for a bit of really dumb crossover with Gundam SEED I guess.

I was always kinda sad that that plot point in SEED meant absolutely nothing. Though if memory serves, they did use ol what's his bucket's trip to outer space to trigger contact with the Jovians in J or W, iirc.

Depends on the game.
I usually start a no upgrade run (no parts, unless I know the game has ex-hard, in which case I use parts on my first run as... practice) then upgrade if I see that powerful units cannot takedown a grunt in two shots.
The way I upgraded at first was to put a point on every trait (hp, en and so on) every ten or so mission, now (in both Z-2) I just follow the game's "lead" and I upgrade based on the additional units: say I get Freedom with two points in every trait, I put two points in every trait of every unit. I get King Kitan with three points, I put three points in every unit.
No additional skills and no parts.
I'm still not entirely sure you can finish both games with a no upgrade run, but judging from the amount of spirit points I guess it's doable. Thing is, you end up having to micromanage the game so much you loose the fun in watching every single animation and it becomes impossible to bring along the weaker units. The way I play now I can bring along all Geass units without too much trouble.
By the way, playing Z-1 again on Ps3: it's sad to see how much units like Gravion and Seed Destiny have been put aside for the sake of the new series in Z-2, though I have to admit 00 Gundam in Z-2 Destruction was a blast to play through. Taisaaaaa XD

I see. So I guess your way is similar to mine, in that you aim to try and preserve the difficulty/balance.

As for the old series some of them are getting redone/updated animations. In the trailers they've shown Destiny and Strike Freedom with completely redone animations so far (IIRC). I wouldn't be surprised if they have more of those in the pipeline. Ultimately I like that you eventually have the freedom to sortie whatever team you want, so you can use those older characters if you like them enough.

Maybe it's been asked already but are we getting a third PV before release?

Did the series music version of PV2 ever get put on Youtube?

I actually looked for it on youtube but it had music that someone edited in instead of the actual BGM's.

So it seems for now it's just on nico.

The BGM version of the 2nd PV is up on Nico.

It sounds like they're just reusing remixes for the older series which is a shame to me because I really would have liked to see them update the songs so they're Second OGs quality or something.

Here's the songs they used for the new entries that appeared in the PV.

Full Metal Panic -
Tatakau M9
Aquarion EVOL -
Kimi no Shinwa
Evangelion Rebuild -
Eva-02
Gunbuster -
Top wo Nerae! ~Fly High~
Unicorn Gundam -
UNICORN

Now it's time for me to pray for Broken Mirror.

Bebpo

Banned
No way. Vocal or non-chiptune versions of a theme song would sound so weird in a SRW game. I mean I guess you could use a SRW theme that's been in an older game or something, but sounds too much of a hassle when I'm sure the music choices will be good enough and grow on you.

CorvoSol

Might just make more frequent use of Unicorn Gundam for that theme. Banagher's not my favorite, but I love that song.

All this game is missing is G and ZZ Gundam for me to be totally satisfied. No chance ZZ is happening, but I can wish.

I kind of feel the same.

It's a nice feature to have but it's something that I likely won't use since I'm sure the game will fill satisfy me in the music department.

37 days to go!

No way. Vocal or non-chiptune versions of a theme song would sound so weird in a SRW game.

Did you not finish 2nd OGs? Or is this more of a "vocal non jam project songs"?

It's a nice feature to have but it's something that I likely won't use since I'm sure the game will fill satisfy me in the music department.
I am sure they'll leave one a critical bit of music like the Stoner Sunshine theme.

Beth Cyra

Well I finally watched the PV2 , and I must say I'm very happy with it.

Unicorn stuff looks great, Sinanju in particular looks amazing and everything I was hoping it would be over the last few years. Really happy the showed of Delta Plus as well given my love for the suit.

Also enjoyed the look Asuka and Unit 2.

Lastly as a fun little note Banpresto looks to continue the weird treatment of Wing. Gundam Wing was the only major Gundam series that hasn't been involved in any of the CG intro's (Wing was absent from Z2.1 and Zero from Z2.2) despite it's story being heavily featured.

This time Zero EW didn't even make an appearance during the gameplay cuts. A part of me wishes they hadn't used Wing because it really seems like they really don't fucking want to.

Beth Cyra

Agreed.

That PV needed Haman in a Crown and talking to Judau in the ZZ.

It's the one thing that will bug me no matter how good the game is.

Bebpo

Banned
I'd rather get V before ZZ!

At least ZZ has decent sprites from Alpha 2/3. V is still the only Gundam without PS2-level sprites!

Shouta

Hmmm, so I watched the last couple of Mac 7 eps to see the original Mac 7 finale the final Alpha 3 stage was based on. Was pretty close. Which got me trying to remember about Mac 7 in Z2-2 and if there was actually any story.

So I looked up Mac 7 Dynamite and uh...yeah, they didn't cover any of that in Z2-2. Was just the songs I guess? I wonder if that means in Z3 they could cover Mac 7 Dynamite's storyline at some point.

They covered it in Saisei. The space whales, man. lol

CorvoSol

Agreed.

That PV needed Haman in a Crown and talking to Judau in the ZZ.

It's the one thing that will bug me no matter how good the game is.

Man I'd kill for crazy Neo Zeon get up Haman. She was great anyway, because under her the Neo Zeon got shit done and didn't have any of those silly ideological pretensions. It was like "Yo, we're conquering the human race, I am your magenta haired Goddess, get in line and kiss my gilded feet."

Which made her attraction to a 15 year old that much funnier.

I'd rather get V before ZZ!

At least ZZ has decent sprites from Alpha 2/3. V is still the only Gundam without PS2-level sprites!

Aside from Uso, though, V'd be terrible for units. "Sweet! I got this babetacular Shrike Team! I'll build them up! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"

Tsukumo

Man I'd kill for crazy Neo Zeon get up Haman. She was great anyway, because under her the Neo Zeon got shit done and didn't have any of those silly ideological pretensions. It was like "Yo, we're conquering the human race, I am your magenta haired Goddess, get in line and kiss my gilded feet."

XD

10/10

Ken

Woops, I combined my Z3 pre-order with RG Exia derp. Contemplating asking AmiAmi to separate them so I can get Z3 earlier.

Beth Cyra

And not re-use a series where Midorikawa had a lead role in? Are you serious?
Well in a weird way this is par the course for Gundam Wing. If you go back and look at CG intro's they almost never appear. Wing gets used for the non SD stuff though.

It was just weird in z-2.1 when every Gundam series lead made an showing even if they didnt contribute to the games story like X, Nu, and Turn A.

Shouta

Well, when skimming through the anime it seems like there's a bunch of characters and an actual plotline to it. I don't remember any of those characters in Z2-2. Like this girl: http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/m/image/1365/09/1365092761659.jpg

They don't really do anything in the OVA though so it's kind of hard to just set them up in the Z universe just for the story. Besides, the main element was the chase the space whales thing which is what they did get into the game.

Jubern

I've said it before, but they should totally do Macross FB7 "story" in Z3. It's a perfect way to justify Basara's absence from the early game, and getting Virgin Story would be great.

Tsukumo

I see. So I guess your way is similar to mine, in that you aim to try and preserve the difficulty/balance.

Yes, that's the whole point. Z-2 has SO MANY "custom" quotes for every enemy type, for cross-over interactions, for bosses and for cooperation (support attack, support defense) it's a shame to be forced to concentrate on strategy.
Anyway my general "balance" check in SRW are:
- in SRW W and SRW J the no upgrade run is very viable. Things can heat up a bit if you put one point of additional upgrades to enemy units when you do consequential runs. Some bosses become downright frustrating on W if you put two points of additional upgrades: Tekkaman Evil dodges everything and the last boss at half his hp reduces stoner sunshine damage on hot blood to a mere 5000. Rubbish.
In J putting two points on enemy upgrades makes fighting og units and Gawloon a huge pain in the ass, because of their barriers. Halfway through the game it almost becomes unplayable.
- SRW A (PSP) I'm playing through it again. Upgrading every stat to one point for every ten stages makes the game quite balanced until mission 30 and so on. After that, some enemy units become too weak and others are still problematic even with four points on every stat. I'd say it's pretty much impossible to "forcefully" balance the game, because either you are too underpowered or too overpowered. The Ace bonuses even things a bit.
- Alpha is doable on a no-upgrade run, but I'd definitely use upgrade parts. This is if you are going for the SR points also, otherwise is VERY doable. The biggest problem is if you do a no-upgrade run you can't possibly bring along the weaker units because they get steamrolled mercilessly. I did my best to keep Kakizaki and Bilgitte until the end but their stats were too low.
- Alpha Gaiden needs upgrades if you go for the SR points. No questions about it. Like A though, some type of enemy units will become too weak: problem is, most boss units will become so strong you won't be able to get SR points if you don't upgrade. A cool thing in Gaiden was that character stats would improve through multiple deployments.
- SRW GC is no upgrade viable until mission 50 or so, but you really have to pay attention to the proper upgrade parts and the use of spirits. After that, the game is still accessible but it takes too much time to finish a mission so a bit of upgrading to the weapons, at least, should be done.
- Impact... you definitely need upgrades XD parts have to be used and spirit skills have to be abused.
- R if viable to a no upgrade run.
- D need some points of upgrades here and there. Mazinger is like an house of cards and gets destroyed in three hits by Victory Gundam units even if he keeps a defensive stance.
- L is also no upgrade viable. Even without parts.
- the Masoukishin remake (I still haven't played the second) is a mess. No upgrade and you are too weak, some upgrade and you are too strong. It's a shame because there's a lot of voice work to be appreciated.
- Mx is... a joke XD no seriously, sooner or later I want to try a no upgrade run with a single unit on each mission XD

Maybe it's been asked already but are we getting a third PV before release?

Initially the 2nd PV should have been released midway through march. Then they anticipated the date to February so I guess another PV at the end of march is... possible.

I guess that works too.

Anyone planning on making use of the custom soundtrack feature?

Definitely. I will probably abuse all three Unicorn osts. And the one from Attack on Titan also. SRW OE soundtrack would be perfect, but I can't seem to find a "clean" version.

- Alpha Gaiden needs upgrades if you go for the SR points. No questions about it. Like A though, some type of enemy units will become too weak: problem is, most boss units will become so strong you won't be able to get SR points if you don't upgrade.
A Portable and Alpha Gaiden w/ all SR points are both possible with no upgrades. You have to stick to the stronger pilots, though. Z ex-hard w/ SR points is the most difficult game mode of the series (outside of optional no upgrade runs).

I've never gone for a no upgrade/part run before.

I feel like it's something I'd have to leave for a second playthrough since I think the temptation to upgrade would be too strong once I hit a large enough roadblock.

I'll consider it for 2nd playthrough of Z3.

Bebpo

Banned
Three observations about the last 10 stages of Alpha 3:

1. Goddamn, this is such a slog. 2.5 hours per map already. 2-3 mini-stage parts per stage with grunts and bosses and lots of dialogue. Ughhhhhh, bring on Z3 and its quick pace.

2. The amount of voice acting in Alpha 3 for story dialogue is craaaazy. Way more than any other SRW by a multiplier of A LOT. The final SEED map is practically full voiced. Z series has nothing like the voice acting in this, I wonder why.

3. SEED ending has so much angst and death, geez. Makes me miss when Gundam finales were nuts like this and Zeta. Maybe one day we'll get another "no one's safe" crazy high death count finale in a Gundam show.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, this thread is way too quiet considering we're less than 30 days from Z3 part 1.

Ok, so did END OF EVA stage in Alpha 3

1. 3 freaking stages long in one stage wtf.

2. The way they wrote it and combined EoE with Eva TV (everyone clapped!) was pretty nice. They also did a good job with all the cutscenes of the 3rd impact and the music both the EoE song and Beethoven. The LCL WAVE ATTACK was cool stuff. Makes me very curious how they'll handle the 3.33 final battles in Z3-2.

3. Also interesting that pretty much every SRW has ended with the Eva final considering F Final, @3, and now Z3. The difference being that Eva Rebuild won't have an ending so they're going to have to use the crazy stuff at the end of 3.33 as the Eva Ending or write their own. I know Ideon's the same, so I wonder if they'll add Ideon in Z3-2. Having just played @3 though I could totally skip another play through Ideon's story personally :p

Also, Z3-2's final 10-15 stages better not be 2.5 hours long each or I'm gonna smack Terada in the face. I was telling my gf about these last stages and she's like "you make it sound more like work" and yeaaaaaah, it pretty much is work to get through these finales.

Don't really know what they can do for the next 8 stages (with 2 branches) in @3. There's no much licensed stuff left to finish. Only Gunbuster final OAV and Ideon finale. They already finished GGG Final, Mac 7, SEED, Eva, Dangaioh, Mazingers, Jeeg. Doesn't seem like Gunbuster/Ideon/OG would be enough material for 10 more stages of 2.5 hours. But I guess I'll see what happens next...

And did anyone ever decide to do the OT for Z3? (Shouta?) Because I know I declined after it was announced since the lineup of new entries was massively disappointing to me, but if no one cares enough to make a big OT, I'm willing to do one in the style of the Z1 and Z2 OTs.

The thread will probably ramp up closer to release or if we get a third PV.

I've been busy with other stuff (and Dark Souls). This year so far has been pretty front-loaded.

I'm not sure if I'll be buying anything inbetween Z3 in April and GGXrd later this year.

Bebpo

Banned
The thread will probably ramp up closer to release or if we get a third PV.

I've been busy with other stuff (and Dark Souls). This year so far has been pretty front-loaded.

I'm not sure if I'll be buying anything inbetween Z3 in April and GGXrd later this year.

Persona 5! The Evil Within! And Persona Q ;)

I'm hoping to finish Z3-1 all routes done by the start of June when Persona Q comes out. If it's exciting enough a month and a half should be enough, even at the slower pace I go.

Don't really know what they can do for the next 8 stages (with 2 branches) in @3. There's no much licensed stuff left to finish. Only Gunbuster final OAV and Ideon finale. They already finished GGG Final, Mac 7, SEED, Eva, Dangaioh, Mazingers, Jeeg. Doesn't seem like Gunbuster/Ideon/OG would be enough material for 10 more stages of 2.5 hours. But I guess I'll see what happens next...

EfAVHxd.jpg

Loona

3. Also interesting that pretty much every SRW has ended with the Eva final considering F Final, @3, and now Z3. The difference being that Eva Rebuild won't have an ending so they're going to have to use the crazy stuff at the end of 3.33 as the Eva Ending or write their own. I know Ideon's the same, so I wonder if they'll add Ideon in Z3-2. Having just played @3 though I could totally skip another play through Ideon's story personally :p

I'd rather have them keep Ideon around for Z3-2 - especially if they can't finish new EVA properly there, they can always use the Z setting's dimensional and time distortions to imply Ideon's a distant consequence of Eva's Instrumentality, and the Ide's bound to have some points in common with Spiral energy they can use to tie it with Gurren Laggan.

Wouldn't be the same if the ol' lunk wasn't there to see things through to the bitter end.

Also, Z3-2's final 10-15 stages better not be 2.5 hours long each or I'm gonna smack Terada in the face.
I doubt it. Most of Z2's stages can be 1-2 turned in minutes if you know what you're doing. A few of Z's late game stages can take 60-120 mins though.

Bebpo

Banned
@3 stage 55 with
Two Gun-Edens and a ton of bosses
was loooong. Liked it though. The part where
Shiva kills Ruaf was pretty badass. My problem with Shiva though as an antagonist is they set it up like he's the mastermind behind everything in the entire Alpha series, then he finally reveals his plan and it's ultra simple and lame "I'll be the new emperor/god of Balmer and conquer the universe for Balmer!" and then you fight him in Gun Eden and you win and he dies just like that.

Was kind of a big nothing for what should have been the main big baddy of the Balmer storyline. Hopefully they'll fix it up in 3rd OGs. There's some good story stuff in there, just needs some fleshing out and better mech designs (the boss mechs in @3 for the Balmer Empire are so freaking terrible. Especially the GIANT EVIL BATTLESHIP lolzzz; hope they make them look cooler in 3rd OGs; don't think they can make them look worse!

Actually making pretty good pace through this @3 endgame. Didn't think I'd finish Alpha 3 before Z3 came out, but don't see why I won't at this point. Yay.

Top Bottom