• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Scribblenauts: Avoid the obvious adjective jokes |OT|

cooljeanius said:
How were they able to get that by the ESRB and not stuff like alcohol?

I doubt the ESRB or 5th Cell thought about Nude Rideable Woman when they made this game. Besides, it's just a giant woman made out of crackers that allows you to sit on her shoulders.

Blizzard

Banned
Using "nude" or "naked" just changes the color of the sprite (including clothes), I think, like creating a "blue woman". It might add a pattern since the earlier poster described it as looking like crackers. :lol

I haven't seen anyone else comment on 4-1 yet. Get to it, people. :mad:

If I remeber correctly about what we drew for this game, nude made a body with censor black squares. Or maybe it was only one of the Maxwell suits, I dont remember well :lol

BTW, could someone write Borja Ruiz to see how I appear in screen and do a photo, I cant buy the game until is released in europe the 30th :lol

tim1138

Has anyone else had problems with the game locking up? It's happened to me twice, once in the level editor and once in either world 4 or 5.

Lijik

tim1138 said:
Has anyone else had problems with the game locking up? It's happened to me twice, once in the level editor and once in either world 4 or 5.
Its happened to me twice in 2-7 both as I completed the level. Luckily it counted the second time.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Jeremiah Slaczka

Oh yeah, didn't try Jeremiah. Well, it was easier to write Jackson. Anyway, I was finally able to launch him out of a catapult. I couldn't do that in the original game.

Anyway, I tried Borja Ruiz and you're just a guy with glasses and a checker pattern shirt. My camera isn't functioning so I can't take any pics for you right now. Sorry man.

Cow Mengde said:
Oh yeah, didn't try Jeremiah. Well, it was easier to write Jackson. Anyway, I was finally able to launch him out of a catapult. I couldn't do that in the original game.

Anyway, I tried Borja Ruiz and you're just a guy with glasses and a checker pattern shirt. My camera isn't functioning so I can't take any pics for you right now. Sorry man.

Yep, thats me :lol

EDIT:
Well I think is time to change of avatar!
6Znbk.png

shaowebb

Holy shit.

1. Fill a room with objects
  2. Make last object "incredible penguin"
  3. watch the madness

Upon creation it creates both your object, and when the penguin touches you the bathtub from the title screen appears. Then, anything else the penguin touches turnes into a starite...that explodes...that will turn your penguin GIGANTIC temporarily.

:lol

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Yep, thats me :lol

EDIT:
Well I think is time to change of avatar!
6Znbk.png

Oh yeah, oops, it wasn't a checked shirt. I was thinking of the pattern on the shirt.

Well, I guess I found more ammo for my catapult.

ScOULaris

On my homescreen, my Doppleganger Maxwell is currently lording over the land on a giant flying anaconda, wielding a huge golden bazooka, and looking down upon his gold sports car, gold castle, golden calf, a few gold bricks, and a single peasant to take care of all of the maintenance.

Also, everyone needs to give this game a chance. Even if you felt "burned" by the first game, this game is such an improvement in every regard. Also, adjectives at A LOT to the experience, and they make it easier to experiment with different solutions than it was in the first game.

It really is what we had all hoped for from the first game. It gives the incredible concept the polish that it needs to make an overall fantastic game.

shaowebb

After the first Scribblenauts game I posted this when I wanted to see if dulcimers were in the game ( I play one).

dulcimer.jpg

They SAW it. They fixed this and now my dulcimer is in the game. It's such a small, and useless thing, but just how closely 5th cell listened to all of the fan feedback is incredible.

Also Hobos eat edible babies in Super Scribblenauts.

AWESOME!

hort22

picked it up today at target...so much better then the first! (mostly the controls)...cant get by the main screen...my 3 year old is sitting next to me spouting off the first thing that comes to her and i spawn it and we watch what happens next!

good times jackson!

Alright, sunk 4 hours into this thing and progressed to about the 3rd world. I've been "gold crowning" everything.

First, the bad. Gamespot unfortunately was exactly right about the levels, though I disagree that they're worse than the original - but that's only because they're pretty much equally as bad. I'd say roughly 50% of all the levels (that I played) are "guess what solution I'm thinking of!" levels, which means your creative or outside the box solutions will simply not work.

For instance, Max is tasked with making a lion disappear. Given the new adjective and properties system you might be inclined to think that you can be pretty damn clever here. Turning the lion invisible, shrinking him and hiding him in a basket, or simply turning the audience blind all seemed like pretty cool solutions. But...no. None work. The only solution has to do with luring him into a "secret room". That's it. Yeah, it's up to you whether you lure him in with meat or push him with a box fan or some other idea, but it's really all the same. Ironically, that exact level is one that Gamespot praised.

In another level, I had to give two step brothers some sport items. I didn't want to go for football or baseball, so I went with a soccer ball. You then have to give the other brother an item that's related to the sport. Cleats didn't work. Uniform didn't work. Whistle didn't work. Frustrated and confused, my girlfriend suggested I make another soccer ball. It, uh, worked. Yeah.

Levels are full of stuff like that. Worse still, it's almost like 50% of the levels are pulled straight out of the original, as adjectives make almost no difference at all in many of them. In fact, levels that involve you making objects for people usually end up destroying the object or turning it into the vanilla version when all is said and done, making the use of adjectives a waste of time.

In a cruel twist of fate, adjectives end up making it painfully obvious how hardcoded solutions can be. Yeah, a "sharp pen" or a "exploding lamp" or a "gigantic mining pick" all make great weapons. But the level which asks you to make weapons will not recognize any of them. In fact, that sharp pen ends up killing one of the NPCs if they hold it long enough.

Alright, now for the good. When it actually works, the "magic" has returned in a big way. Some solutions work that you would have never thought of, and all the improvements make pretty much everything easier.

It'll be easier to talk about the improvements by anecdotes regarding solutions, so I'll spoiler tag these.

2-5:
The "Hide the lion" level. Glue can be attached to any object now, including terrain. This allowed me to glue a giant magnet on the wall of the secret room, and then glue an anvil to the lion's head. I felt so damn proud that it worked, even if the level itself was incredibly disappointing

2-2:
You must get a scared skydiver to jump off of a cliff, safely. You might think this level would fall prey to the "guess what I'm thinking" syndrome, but it's actually full of unique solutions. You can give him the ability to fly, or float, or you can make the drop easier by making a pool at the bottom. Lots of solutions here, many of which feel "outside the box"

1-8:
Melt a frozen student. Lots of generic solutions worked, but I liked that "salt" worked simply because salt can get rid of ice, NOT because the game was looking for that specific word. There are more of these types of levels than in the original, so I'm thankful for that. I think that design principle should have reigned supreme

So yeah, a mixed bag like the original. Sometimes it is much improved, other times it's just as bad. I guess that's a net gain in the end, but don't go into this thinking all your troubles with the levels are gone.

I'll probably post something later about the rest of the game (all of which is actually really, really fantastic and improved in every way), but I felt it was important to talk about the levels first. I'll add more as I progress into the game, especially if there's a sudden change for the better.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
SirPenguin said:
Alright, sunk 4 hours into this thing and progressed to about the 3rd world. I've been "gold crowning" everything.

First, the bad. Gamespot unfortunately was exactly right about the levels, though I disagree that they're worse than the original - but that's only because they're pretty much equally as bad. I'd say roughly 50% of all the levels (that I played) are "guess what solution I'm thinking of!" levels, which means your creative or outside the box solutions will simply not work.
Do you think custom levels could help even out the gameplay?

SapientWolf said:
Do you think custom levels could help even out the gameplay?
Can't say, but that's not really the fault of the game. Nintendo has an awful online system for a gamer like me (that is to say, a gamer who doesn't have many gamer friends) so I doubt I'll ever take it online.

I have not used the editor myself so I won't talk about it. I briefly booted it up, but I felt very frustrated by the "terrain painting" tool which didn't feel intuitive at all. I definitely chalk that up to my inexperience, though.

shaowebb

I keep finding awesome stuff in this game. If you type mask and select the one labeled (fun) you get a Guy Fawks mask. Penny for the guy?

Also I think I just discovered the most powerful weapon in the game. The gargantuan EBG. The gun fills the whole screen and it one shots everything ( and destroys large chunks of the terrain). I'm guessing this is an "epicly big gun". Whatever it is needs to be in Duke Nukem Forever.

Here is a pic of me wearing a Guy Fawks mask, fairy wings, and wielding a Gargantuan Gold EBG

Picture58.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Ah yes, the exploding barrel launcher. It might work well until you encounter monsters without health bars. The "atheist" will take 30 exploding barrels to the face without any apparent harm, for instance. :lol

Last night I discovered you could do "weaponized" whatever, and it will do things like attaching swords to ovens.

This is exactly what turned me off to the first one. It's just too much quantity and not enough quality. The initial amazement of being able to summon 10,000 different things wears off the second you realize 75% of them are paperweights. I'd rather have half, or even a tenth of the items if they actually interacted in meaningful ways than a smorgasbord of clipart.

Guess I'll be holding off for Scribblenauts 64!

I cannot believe this game managed to get rated E10.

You haven't lived until a "suicidal baby" purposefully sets off a nuke to end its sad existence

Edit: Oh...oh god. Spawn a "suicidal man", then give him a gun. It doesn't animate, but he actually kills himself with it.

That's...kinda crazy

shaowebb

They changed the doppelganger!

Type doppelganger and he will now make random objects! The clone still steals your stuff, though but it is awesome seeing the crazy stuff the doppelganger comes up with. I am being attacked right now by and microscopic robotic cassowary with a gold bar.

EDIT:

Also, White fluffy rideable chinese dragon= YEAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!

bon

I went ahead and bought this tonight and have not been able to put it down. It's so fun to just type junk in and see what happens. I feel dumb for skipping the first one.

seady

I didn't have high hope for this game because I was so hype and got disappointed with the first game. But man was I wrong.

The level design here are wayyyy more clever and fun to play in, and the control definitely got rid of all the announce from the first game, and now I can really enjoy the gameplay. Everything here is polish and feel like a real game, and not just simply an idea (like the first game).

Told a friend that has the game if he could take photos of me using diferent adjectives.
69374_1575529822666_1068189648_1586732_3764567_n.jpg

:lol :lol :lol
So fucking awesome!

Seems like giant me is a pussy :lol

Blizzard

Banned
If that's the level with the midnight
launch
, I spent quite a while trying to
fly over, put people to sleep, etc. before I realized you were supposed to make them LEAVE the line. Also, I tried scaring them but they totally refused to be scared. :( Maybe if one uses a cowardly potion?

ScOULaris

Man, it kills me to see what little attention this excellent sequel is getting. Remember how hyped we all were here at GAF for the original? And remember how awesome it was that the 5th Cell crew was listening to us and incorporating stuff into the game?

Despite whether or not you were disappointed by the first game's under-realization of the concept, that hype should be back in full force for Super Scribblenauts. This game is what we thought the first game could have been, only more so with the introduction of compounding adjectives.

Trust me, give it a chance. I'm playing it right now, and it still gives me those feelings of wonder and possibility that I got when I first booted up the original Scribblenauts. The only difference is that now there are even more possibilities and most of the annoyances from the first game are completely fixed.

Someone who posted above me mentioned that you can make a baby kill itself. Another GAF member in this thread ran around as Guy Fawkes with a giant, golden exploding barrel launcher. Another discovered that adding weaponized to any object attached blades to it. All of these things are AWESOME.

It's those kind of discoveries that I miss from the Official Thread for the first game. This series is the only one where we can post stories like, "I made a giant, flying, mechanical mongoose fight a purple, suicidal, zombie baby." Without the following that the first game got on GAF, those kinds of stories (and the awesome GIFs that accompany them) will be sadly few and far between.

Give Super Scribblenauts a chance, and let's get this thread going! :D

Example of Adjectives in Action: In the first game, holding down a switch usually led us to use heavy, stationary objects like bricks, boxes, boulders... etc. When I encountered my first switch in Super Scribblenauts, I held it down with a frozen, striped monkey. You know that's badass.

Blizzard

Banned
It's probably been said before, and better, by SirPenguin, but I'll basically just agree:

It's better that it not be super-hyped. I'm a fan of the series, and fan of the technical accomplishment of all the items/adjectives. I think it'd be great for kids learning words and thinking about puzzles, to some extent. But the biggest problem aside from maybe some missing adjectives (or the temptation to try new more complex phrases like "snow boots" that don't fit into the normal adjective scheme) is that the puzzles are so tight that solutions seem to be from a fixed list of words or adjectives. Specifically, a muffler apparently didn't work as a repair part for a car because it wasn't on the list (i.e. there's presumably not an internal list of "car parts"), or that's my guess. The lion that you're supposed to make disappear -- due to how the AI is coded, making the lion invisible, or putting blindfolds on the audience (NOTE: I DID NOT TRY THIS YET) doesn't work, and the only solution you are allowed to use is
putting the lion into the room
that they give you. I think someone mentioned trying to shrink the lion/put it in a box as well.

So in general, the interface and controls are greatly improved. The graphics, physics, and sound are overall pretty good. I haven't had a crash yet, though a couple of other people have. It's fun to create random things on the main screen. But the puzzles themselves may still disappoint people who were disappointed by the first, due to it being human nature to expect some "reasonable" things to work. I don't mean to sound overly negative since I definitely like the games, 5th Cell, and their fan interaction, but I think I enjoy it despite potential limited puzzle solutions, while other people might be very annoyed by them.

ScOULaris

I can understand being annoyed when acceptable solutions to puzzles aren't recognized by the game. That is a perfectly valid complaint, and one that should continue to be addressed in future Scribblenauts games.

With that said, it's nowhere near a deal-breaker for me. While it's not perfect, the experience of playing Scribblenauts is still unlike any other game out there. Inside or outside of the puzzles, the game really is as good as you make it. If you're the kind of person who just writes "Wings" every time you need to get up on a ledge, then I don't think you will get much from either of the Scribblenauts games.

But like I said, I am just disappointed to see the lack of interest because the hype for the first game brought together such a cool community where we were discovering things left and right. I would love to see some of that enthusiasm return, but I may be asking for too much.

Oh well, I am gonna go brandish an enormous, metallic, flaming whip and fly above the clouds on my giant, friendly, flying, ridable baby. :D

shaowebb

More fun stuff found in Super Scribblenauts.

Type an adjective and then type potion. Who ever you give it to will then acquire this trait. This has been mentioned before, but I tried the adjective "sassy".

What happens when you make someone drink the "Sassy Potion" is that they walk up to anyone nearby and talk shit to them. Above the served NPC's head then appears the word OFFENDED and they proceed to beat the shit out of the Sassy character.

Prepare yourself game as I turn your creations against each other with sass talk.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ScOULaris said:
I can understand being annoyed when acceptable solutions to puzzles aren't recognized by the game. That is a perfectly valid complaint, and one that should continue to be addressed in future Scribblenauts games.
I think it would literally be impossible to implement every plausible solution that a creative community could come up with. That's why I was so curious about the level editor, because I think the ability to customize your experience with user generated content is where the real value and longevity lies for this franchise.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
SapientWolf said:
I think it would literally be impossible to implement every plausible solution that a creative community could come up with. That's why I was so curious about the level editor, because I think the ability to customize your experience with user generated content is where the real value and longevity lies for this franchise.
I dunno, I would think given the time Objectnaut could be expanded so that say "Muffler" has every tag from "metal" and "machine" to "belongs to car" "hot" "loud" etc. And then you make a "mechanic" and assign him "likes objects that belong to car" "likes objects that belong to power tools" and so forth. Its just storing and dealing with all that data.

atomsk

Party Pooper
hort22 said:
hey can someone explain the crown's when i pass a level...some of my levels are crowned and some are not.

i'm guessing it has to do with completing a level under par (certain amount of words), but i'm not sure. the game doesn't make it very clear

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The_Technomancer said:
I dunno, I would think given the time Objectnaut could be expanded so that say "Muffler" has every tag from "metal" and "machine" to "belongs to car" "hot" "loud" etc. And then you make a "mechanic" and assign him "likes objects that belong to car" "likes objects that belong to power tools" and so forth. Its just storing and dealing with all that data.
Well yeah, I'm sure they can make things more robust than they currently are but, for example, if you browse a site like "There, I fixed it" you can see some really unconventional solutions to common problems that the original designers never thought of. There are no limits to imagination, so all they need is a way to harness all that ingenuity and creativity.

komojo

Neo Member
The levels with crowns can be completed in advanced mode. If you go back into the level and beat it three times without re-using words, the crown turns gold. There is no par system any more.

The first thing I do in a game like this is try to screw things up and find the flaws. It's like a match of wits against the developers themselves.

WEGGLES

Fuck this game.

5-9 was fucking awful.

There was nothing long enough to cross the gap in one piece and even if I lined every thing up perfectly the fucking knight would fine a one pixel gap to fucking fall through and die. Every fucking time. Did they test this level?

"Hey... people seem to have the gist of the level figured out, but it still takes 40 minutes to beat because the physics engine is less than stellar and there's no way to tell the knight to wait and he seems to kill him self at the first chance he gets..."

And every time the knight dies I have to make another electric rope to kill the stupid shark and 2 "Extra long floating bridges".... so fucking frustrating...

Well, I haven't reached that level, but would it help to know you can apply glue directly to terrain geometry now? That makes building bridges or anchoring objects much, much easier

WEGGLES

SirPenguin said:
Well, I haven't reached that level, but would it help to know you can apply glue directly to terrain geometry now? That makes building bridges or anchoring objects much, much easier
40 mins ago it would have :lol

WEGGLES said:
Fuck this game.

5-9 was fucking awful.

There was nothing long enough to cross the gap in one piece and even if I lined every thing up perfectly the fucking knight would fine a one pixel gap to fucking fall through and die. Every fucking time. Did they test this level?

"Hey... people seem to have the gist of the level figured out, but it still takes 40 minutes to beat because the physics engine is less than stellar and there's no way to tell the knight to wait and he seems to kill him self at the first chance he gets..."

And every time the knight dies I have to make another electric rope to kill the stupid shark and 2 "Extra long floating bridges".... so fucking frustrating...
It's not the game's fault that you didn't think to spawn a scuba mask and give it to the knight, allowing him to swim freely.

WEGGLES

Vyse The Legend said:
It's not the game's fault that you didn't think to spawn a scuba mask and give it to the knight, allowing him to swim freely.
But it is the games fault that he wouldn't take water wings or a life jacket. :lol

And it's the games fault that the knight attacked the raft I made for us...

Edit: and the knight wouldn't take a snorkel.

WEGGLES said:
But it is the games fault that he wouldn't take water wings or a life jacket. :lol

And it's the games fault that the knight attacked the raft I made for us...

Edit: and the knight wouldn't take a snorkel.
I finished it in 2 minutes by giving him scuba gear. I thought it was a pretty obvious solution.

WEGGLES

Vyse The Legend said:
I finished it in 2 minutes by giving him scuba gear. I thought it was a pretty obvious solution.
I didn't think to try scuba gear since I figured he wouldn't take anything when he didn't take the snorkel, water wings or life vest.

So then I tried boats that he'd fall off of or destroy. Then I tried bridges that he fell between....

point is. I used many valid solutions that fucked up because of things beyond my control and that's mad frustrating. Especially when every attempt I have to skip the pan by the level and the objective popup. "Get the knight across the gap" OH THAT'S WHAT I'M SUPPOSED TO DO?! I THOUGHT I NEEDED TO DROWN HIM WHILE MAKING IT LOOK LIKE AN ACCIDENT. And kill the stupid shark.

shaowebb

Not the games fault then. You had options, and didn't use them. Personally I would've typed sticky immovable bridge and glued it down to the enbankment. If it wasn't big enough I would either make more or make a bigger one.

I also would've made it neon. Just because.

On a sidenote type "Maxwell's Notebook" and give the notebook to any NPC. They will then start randomly creating shit everywhere.

rocK`

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
The first thing I do in a game like this is try to screw things up and find the flaws. It's like a match of wits against the developers themselves.

A match only you're playing.

Top Bottom