• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Daouzin

I wasn't trying to discredit PM with my original post or anything, I was just asking from an honest place because I've been out of the loop and haven't heard people talk about it much since the creators discontinued it.

That's fair. It's a shame that PM can't be streamed on Twitch, but I think the PM situation is representative of a greater issue with the Smash community overall.

While PM players would still be screwed, I do think Nintendo should release a Smash Collection with 64, Melee, Brawl and Smash 4 all included for the NX. Although they can't do anything for PM players I do think, it would go a long way to merging the community.

Tripping as a "toggle-able" option would be pretty hilarious. I also think this would create a Brawl/PM conversation regularly. So I'm 100% for it lol.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Art of the Day

BJTgQno.jpg

Ryce

I really don’t see how KOS-MOS makes sense. We’re just as likely to see Klonoa or Strider Hiryu or any other random D-lister. I know, I know — there are no “rules,” but she’s not heavily requested like Bayonetta, nor is she a gaming icon like the rest of the guests. I just can’t envision a context for her inclusion.

btw i blame all of you for goku not making the cut for smash bros

voting for nobodies like chibi bitch or some obscure shit, smh

could've had the GOAT but y'all had to have a one-off character from mario rpg

Honesty I'm interested to see how a Rhythm Heaven stage works if Chorus Kids are in. Does it just transition from place to place Remix style? That seems a bit fast.

But really we just need to have a bunch of RH content. So goddamn good.

Golnei

She's an original character created as a mascot for various Namco spinoffs and crossovers. I don't think she's ever had an actual game of her own, but her heavy merchandising presence and persistent fanbase show that she has undeniable niche popularity. Given that, a Mii costume or assist trophy might not be too unfitting; even if actually being playable would be impossible.

Ryce

Honesty I'm interested to see how a Rhythm Heaven stage works if Chorus Kids are in. Does it just transition from place to place Remix style? That seems a bit fast.

But really we just need to have a bunch of RH content. So goddamn good.
The background and stage hazards should change Remix style, but the platform layout and foreground (clouds) should remain static, kind of like WarioWare meets Magicant. The music changes whenever the background does.

Coming, sure, but why was it 'deserved'? Besides some obnoxious smug superiority fans of it had towards Brawl/4 I always felt PM was a fantastic showing of fan passion when they weren't happy with where Brawl went.

Oh it wasn't just fans, it was the devs too. At least when they started out. Not to mention messing with Nintendo IPs is asking for trouble. They're lucky they were able to do as much as they did.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Smash gameplay over the years:

N64: Can Mario kick Link in the balls? Yes
GCN: Can Mario kick Link in the balls? Yes
Wii: Can Mario kick Link in the balls? Yes
3DS: Can Mario kick Link in the balls? Yes
Wii U: Can Mario kick Link in the balls? Yes

And that is basically how it is seen by the majority.

Can Mario move forward with a momentum relative to the fractional tilt of the reverse input via the cancelation of the flick to send Link up at an angle perpendicular to the frame of the fair dair bair for the dropzone priority to set up a combination really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

I think he's actually referring to this Namco song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkj-Zy8f6kk

As for the Smash port selling, it doesn't have to sell NX Consoles or NX Handhelds. Assuming that it's a straight port, it'd be more of a way to pad out the NX Platform line-up & bring the community over to the new platform (see USFIV for the PS4). Plus, who's to say that the port has to be $60? Now don't get me wrong, I'd love for more characters to get added. But recent events have taught me not to get my hopes up.

I think the comparison to Ultra Street Fighter IV is potentially a bad one barring some factors we don't know about yet. Firstly, that port needed to happen because the PS4 is not backwards compatible (yes, I understand that question marks right now is whether or not the NX is going to be backwards compatible). Secondly, Street Fighter V was announced either simultaneously or before the news to port Ultra. When Ultra came out, the release of Street Fighter V was ~9 months away. Really, Street Fighter V was what was going to bring the Street Fighter Community over. Releasing Ultra was just a low-effort way to try to bridge the existing community over while they waited for the main course. If Sony hadn't helped fund V and secured console exclusivity, I don't think it was a given that they would have ported Ultra anyway. But with V just around the corner, it made sense to try to consolidate the player base on the newer platform in the interim.

Anyone else been reading Source Gaming's translation of the Melee Music roundtable? Super fascinating stuff.

Introduction
Voice Dubbing
Orchestra and Chorus I
Orchestra and Chorus II
Musical Arrangements

It's not finished yet, but highlights include the difficulties of putting together an orchestra, the trials and tribulations of arranging the Temple theme, the concept behind Menu 2, and who their favorite Melee VA is. There's also apparently an entire section dedicated to the DK Rap coming up.

Seeing so much love over Mewtwo's evil laugh makes me smile. I've always liked that taunt, probably my favorite in the series. It's a shame they couldn't bring his actor back for Smash 4 for whatever reason.

The Pokemon voice director is called "Mr. Mima." My brain couldn't stop reading "Mr. Mime"

Neoxon

I think the comparison to Ultra Street Fighter IV is potentially a bad one barring some factors we don't know about yet. Firstly, that port needed to happen because the PS4 is not backwards compatible (yes, I understand that question marks right now is whether or not the NX is going to be backwards compatible). Secondly, Street Fighter V was announced either simultaneously or before the news to port Ultra. When Ultra came out, the release of Street Fighter V was ~9 months away. Really, Street Fighter V was what was going to bring the Street Fighter Community over. Releasing Ultra was just a low-effort way to try to bridge the existing community over while they waited for the main course. If Sony hadn't helped fund V and secured console exclusivity, I don't think it was a given that they would have ported Ultra anyway. But with V just around the corner, it made sense to try to consolidate the player base on the newer platform in the interim.
But at the same time, couldn't Smash 4's port serve a similar role, albeit over a longer period of time. Seeing as Smash 4's metagame isn't that old, it'd be best to carry it over to the NX Platform as a means to bring the Smash community to the NX Platform ahead of the actual new Smash game. Granted, it wouldn't be as close to the release of Smash 5 as Ultra Street Fighter IV's port was to Street Fighter V, but the idea would generally be the same.

Seeing so much love over Mewtwo's evil laugh makes me smile. I've always liked that taunt, probably my favorite in the series. It's a shame they couldn't bring his actor back for Smash 4 for whatever reason.

The Pokemon voice director is called "Mr. Mima." My brain couldn't stop reading "Mr. Mime"
I wish they brought back Melee Dorf voice back.

But at the same time, couldn't Smash 4's port serve a similar role, albeit over a longer period of time. Seeing as Smash 4's metagame isn't that old, it'd be best to carry it over to the NX Platform as a means to bring the Smash community to the NX Platform ahead of the actual new Smash game. Granted, it wouldn't be as close to the release of Smash 5 as Ultra Street Fighter IV's port was to Street Fighter V, but the idea would generally be the same.

Well, like I said one of the big question marks is whether or not there's going to be backwards compatibility. Like for Street Fighter fans, the big argument in favor of porting Ultra was just that the console market was going to be moving exclusively to the PS4 anyway with V on the horizon. So in the mean time, here's an Ultra release to tide you over for a relatively short period of time so that you don't have to bust out the PS3/360 to get your Street Fighter 4 fix.

"What if NX isn't backwards compatible?" That's a fair question. I get that a budget re-release makes sense just to have another title to trot out there. I just don't think it fits. And by that I just mean that we've been hearing rumors for a while that a Smash game is in the works for NX. Assuming we don't believe that it actually is Smash 5, the argument I'd make is that you wouldn't be hearing rumblings for this long about a low-effort up-port (which is what Ultra was). While it could serve a vaguely similar role, I think the circumstances are wildly different such that I'd argue that it's largely pointless.

If it is just a straight port, I think as a first party you'd focus the launch window on new software that showcases the new hardware. A budget Wii U port makes sense down the road to fill some voids. But the notion that Smash fans would immediately feel compelled to upgrade just because doesn't hold water with me.

To put it another way, pretend Sony didn't fund Street Fighter V and secure exclusivity. I'm not really convinced that we would have necessarily seen an Ultra port when we did on PS4/Xbox One funded entirely by Capcom.

Neoxon

Well, like I said one of the big question marks is whether or not there's going to be backwards compatibility. Like for Street Fighter fans, the big argument in favor of porting Ultra was just that the console market was going to be moving exclusively to the PS4 anyway with V on the horizon. So in the mean time, here's an Ultra release to tide you over for a relatively short period of time so that you don't have to bust out the PS3/360 to get your Street Fighter 4 fix.

"What if NX isn't backwards compatible?" That's a fair question. I get that a budget re-release makes sense just to have another title to trot out there. I just don't think it fits. And by that I just mean that we've been hearing rumors for a while that a Smash game is in the works for NX. Assuming we don't believe that it actually is Smash 5, the argument I'd make is that you wouldn't be hearing rumblings for this long about a low-effort up-port (which is what Ultra was). While it could serve a vaguely similar role, I think the circumstances are wildly different such that I'd argue that it's largely pointless.

If it is just a straight port, I think as a first party you'd focus the launch window on new software that showcases the new hardware. A budget Wii U port makes sense down the road to fill some voids. But the notion that Smash fans would immediately feel compelled to upgrade just because doesn't hold water with me.

To put it another way, pretend Sony didn't fund Street Fighter V and secure exclusivity. I'm not really convinced that we would have necessarily seen an Ultra port when we did on PS4/Xbox One funded entirely by Capcom.
If I recall, didn't we hear rumors about a USFIV PS4 port well before its reveal? The fact that the USFIV TE2 worked on PS3 & PS4 kinda added fuel to the fire (at the time).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If I recall, didn't we hear rumors about a USFIV PS4 port well before its reveal? The fact that the USFIV TE2 worked on PS3 & PS4 kinda added fuel to the fire (at the time).

I don't really see any point in your comment because I don't see how it would relate anything to his argument but I will answer you on one thing.

Sony covered the cost for Ultra Street Fighter IV PS4 port if I remembered it correctly so it would make sense for them to trying to attract the players who doesn't have the games and previous generation consoles. Also they tried to established it for tournaments but it didn't really happened mostly because of how broken the game was at launch.

Neoxon

I don't really see any point in your comment because I don't see how it would relate anything to his argument but I will answer you on one thing.

Sony covered the cost for Ultra Street Fighter IV PS4 port if I remembered it correctly so it would make sense for them to trying to attract the players who doesn't have the games and previous generation consoles. Also they tried to established it for tournaments but it didn't really happened mostly because of how broken the game was at launch.
But it did happen after EVO going into the 2015 Capcom Cup.

That being said, my point is that doing a simple Smash 4 port for the NX Platform can easily serve as a means to buy time for Smash 5 later down the road for the NX Platform. My main point is that like USFIV was to the PS4, Smash 4's port can serve as a bridge between the Wii U & the NX Platform in an attempt to try & bring over as many people as possible. The reason why it would also serve as a long-term bench-warmer is because of the large roster that most people missed out on (& that's not even counting the DLC characters).

But it did happen after EVO going into the 2015 Capcom Cup.

That being said, my point is that doing a simple Smash 4 port for the NX Platform can easily serve as a means to buy time for Smash 5 later down the road for the NX Platform. My main point is that like USFIV was to the PS4, Smash 4's port can serve as a bridge between the Wii U & the NX Platform in an attempt to try & bring over as many people as possible. The reason why it would also serve as a long-term bench-warmer is because of the large roster that most people missed out on (& that's not even counting the DLC characters).

I don't understand what you're getting at with the bolded. What do you think the market is for people that skipped out on the 3DS and Wii U version's of Smash but plan on buying an NX early on and are also interested in Smash Bros.?

Neoxon

I don't understand what you're getting at with the bolded. What do you think the market is for people that skipped out on the 3DS and Wii U version's of Smash but plan on buying an NX early on and are also interested in Smash Bros.?
Because they'll probably buy the NX Console (assuming that's the form factor that's coming out first, which seems to be the case) for some other game such as Zelda or whatever big game Nintendo has planned. Smash 4's port would mainly be icing on the cake & a means to bring the Smash scene over, rather than serve as the main course (a role that Smash 5 would play for the NX Platform).

Because they'll probably buy the NX Console (assuming that's the form factor that's coming out first, which seems to be the case) for some other game such as Zelda or whatever big game Nintendo has planned. Smash 4's port would mainly be icing on the cake & a means to bring the Smash scene over, rather than serve as the main course (a role that Smash 5 would play for the NX Platform).

You've argued this before. I don't understand how a straight port is icing on the cake, particularly if there's already backwards compatibility (which we don't know either way at this point). Wow, they're generously allowing me the opportunity to rebuy a game I've already bought twice. Thanks Nintendo! Like I said, the circumstances made more since for Ultra when you assume that people were already migrating to PS5 anyway because of the impending release of Street Fighter V exclusively for PS4 (and PC).

Using this line of thinking, what exactly makes a straight port more appealing to a consumer than an enhanced port? When exactly are you expecting Smash 5 to come out? In the long term a straight port followed by an actual new game much later will not be a good look for the brand and be very confusing for later buyers when Smash Bros has historically been an evergreen, one-per-system affair.

Neoxon

You've argued this before. I don't understand how a straight port is icing on the cake, particularly if there's already backwards compatibility (which we don't know either way at this point). Wow, they're generously allowing me the opportunity to rebuy a game I've already bought twice. Thanks Nintendo! Like I said, the circumstances made more since for Ultra when you assume that people were already migrating to PS5 anyway because of the impending release of Street Fighter V exclusively for PS4 (and PC).
But that's just it. Given everything we've heard, the odds of backwards compatibility happening (at least for the console side of things) are quite slim. The PowerPC architecture is pretty much on its way out, which leave either ARM or x86 (& recent rumors indicate that the former will be used for the CPU).

Using this line of thinking, what exactly makes a straight port more appealing to a consumer than an enhanced port? When exactly are you expecting Smash 5 to come out? In the long term a straight port followed by an actual new game much later will not be a good look for the brand and be very confusing for later buyers when Smash Bros has historically been an evergreen, one-per-system affair.
I'd expect Smash 5 to happen around 2021 or so. As for a straight port followed by a sequel, isn't that what's rumored to be happening with Splatoon?

Jawmuncher

If Nintendo did a straight port and didn't try to charge less than 50 would be crazy. But if the bare minimum would be the game and DLC there's no way it wouldn't be 60. Since we all know Nintendo really doesn't devalue their games.

Neoxon

If Nintendo did a straight port and didn't try to charge less than 50 would be crazy. But if the bare minimum would be the game and DLC there's no way it wouldn't be 60. Since we all know Nintendo really doesn't devalue their games.
Hence my argument about the Smash 4 port possibly not being full-price.

But that's just it. Given everything we've heard, the odds of backwards compatibility happening (at least for the console side of things) are quite slim. The PowerPC architecture is pretty much on its way out, which leave either ARM or x86 (& recent rumors indicate that the former will be used for the CPU).

I'd expect Smash 5 to happen around 2021 or so. As for a straight port followed by a sequel, isn't that what's rumored to be happening with Splatoon?

Here's the thing. You're hedging this on a rumour. And even then:

1 - The Smash Bros NX game is more or less a certainty. Two very strong sources has said it's true, one of which has said that numerous sources have guaranteed it.

2 - The Splatoon thing is a rumour that was noted to be very shakey, less certain than the SSB4 port, and having production problems. It may not end up even happening. Also note this was during the time NX was thought to be coming in 2016. If NX is 2017, that gives more time for a Splatoon sequel, so therefore it would be better to not bother with the port and just do a sequel.

Don't you think 4+ years is a bit long to wait for a new Smash Bros game, when it has historically been a system seller that makes a console more appealing to buyers? Given how hard the developers worked on SSB4 up until just a few months ago, how much content are you expecting the new game to have if they're tossing 4 years of work already done out the window? How do you think fans and the press would react to finding out that for the first four years of the system's life, the only Smash Bros game available is one they already played? Will NX even exist in the same form in these four years? Don't you think it's best to create an appealing entry in an established series as close to launch as possible?

Compare it to Zelda. The Wii U is criticized for not having a Zelda game until it's 4 years old, with the only main games until then being ports. They sold well, but not gangbusters, and the situation as a whole has left a dire taste in some people's mouths. Imagine how people would feel if they perceived Nintendo was allowing this to happen to more of their premier series. It's not a good look.

In general, this is the key question. What would be the benefit of a straight port instead of an enhanced port other than you and the small niche that is the tournament community don't personally like SSB4?

I'm keeping my expectations low personally. It very well could be a straight port. But I don't think that would be a smart decision for Nintendo to do when new content and characters are the primary driver of excitement for the franchise and its creator.

Did Nintendo buy Namco when I wasn't looking?

Yeah, you're right - Nintendo owns Monolith Soft, who developed Xenosaga, but the Xenosaga IP is still owned by Namco. Baten Kaitos is too actually, while we're at it. Think there was some confusion.

Jawmuncher

Hence my argument about the Smash 4 port possibly not being full-price.

But even then if we go off Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD, it'll be $50 dollars then.
I just don't see Nintendo making it cheaper when they have no reason to. Without DLC characters ok maybe, with DLC characters no way they don't.

Outside of their best sellers brand and the like they've never really been one to offer budget titles.

Javier

I really don't see Smash NX having no additional characters, I really don't. Regardless of how much of a port it is.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I really don't see Smash NX having no additional characters, I really don't. Regardless of how much of a port it is.

Yep, what gave me a confidence about new contents are 1) Reggie mentions that Smash and Mario Kart are 1-game-per-console so they wouldn't waste their opportunities with Smash NX 2) Splatoon is at the peak for popularity and demands. They have a lot of merchandise in Japan, and it would move the sales of console and Smash if Inkling is in the game and 3) Sakurai noted that he know that the characters are most important and centric feature of Smash. The characters are what made customers to buy the games or so.

There are more reasons but it's sufficient enough for now.

it's a neat little thing to have for new players who don't wanna bother navigating the labyrinth called smashboards to get a quick summary of their character at least.

Then again I'm basically this solely off of what I've read from their section for Dr. Mario which doesn't have anything blatantly wrong at least. All I've read is somewhat "correct" advice for the character (aside from suggesting fsmash to KO on the ground lol), but it's basically all "at a glance" information. Practically zero depth beyond what you could find out yourself in training mode or playing a few matches with scrubs.

The reflect data is pretty cool though, and I wanna cross-check to see how accurate the damages are.

EDIT: There's also nothing about the DLC crew too. This was probably from the game's release, shame on me for thinking Prima would update their eguides lol. Oh well, it's an innocent read.

Neoxon

Yep, what gave me a confidence about new contents are 1) Reggie mentions that Smash and Mario Kart are 1-game-per-console so they wouldn't waste their opportunities with Smash NX 2) Splatoon is at the peak for popularity and demands. They have a lot of merchandise in Japan, and it would move the sales of console and Smash if Inkling is in the game and 3) Sakurai noted that he know that the characters are most important and centric feature of Smash. The characters are what made customers to buy the games or so.

There are more reasons but it's sufficient enough for now.
Yes, but he likely meant brand new Smash games, not ports of older games.

Top Bottom