• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Yes, but he likely meant brand new Smash games, not ports of older games.

And despite what you think, we don't know if this Smash NX will be a straight port, or if it will be a brand new game (which will be the case if it has new content actively developed for it).

:)

I think this sounds to me like an argument of want rather than evidence. Of course, none of us know yet. But as many people have pointed out, it smells like this will not be a simple port. So we ought not confuse what we do or don't want with what is or isn't likely.

Not to mention the fact that Nintendo (Sakurai) has never ported a Smash game before. And I don't think your argument for why they would now rings very convincing.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yes, but he likely meant brand new Smash games, not ports of older games.

I believe that you may be wrong on that. They had two choices for Wii, which are Super Smash Bros Melee with online mode being added or Super Smash Bros Brawl. Sakurai chose to works on brand new Smash which clearly demonstrated that he still have a strong attachment to the franchise and he is very hand on anything that are Smash Bros. I could say that he might not like the idea of having straight port with one new mode. That's why I believe that he's one of those rare proud developers that clearly love their franchises and fans despite to the fact that some fans could be jerks.

My point is it could be one of those choice to fill out the smash bros slot for wii's lifespan. So Supet Smash Bros Melee For Wii had a chance to become sole Smash Bros for Wii but if it wasn't for Iwata and Aonuma convincing Sakurai to do otherwise.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
I'm trying to do some voice replacements for a few characters since Smash 4 can be modded now. Can anyone link me to a VIDEO tutorial on how to go about performing this? I know there are some typed tutorials but some of these are vague in a few areas, or I'm just missing something. I already have Python, my game disc has already been dumped and everything else

!!!

I entered Tourney Mode and it warned me that tonight at "20:30" the servers are going down for maintenance.

Patch incoming?

It's an official release of a game on a different platform. For all intents and purposes, it is a port. The inner workings of it nonwithstanding.

That's not the definition of the word "port". Throwing a game's ROM up onto a digital store 10 years later so it can be played by emulating the original system, versus actually recoding the game so it can actually play on a new system, to be re-printed in a box on store shelves two years after are very different levels of investment, visibility, expected profit and effects on a system, etc. The inner workings are the most important part. Nintendo have never done the latter for an SSB game. The two situations are entirely different.

If you wanted to say re-release, sure, but the semantics implied by port versus VC emulation are significant and worth taking into account.

Golnei

[QUOTE="D";203847504]I'm trying to do some voice replacements for a few characters since Smash 4 can be modded now. Can anyone link me to a VIDEO tutorial on how to go about performing this? I know there are some typed tutorials but some of these are vague in a few areas, or I'm just missing something. I already have Python, my game disc has already been dumped and everything else[/QUOTE]

I haven't used any video tutorials, but if you're still having trouble with that, I might be able to help - what part of the text tutorials are you finding vague, and where are you having problems?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah, I don't get that mindset. I mean, I can see there being no new characters under some scenarios. But there's so much about this that we don't know yet. Like just off the top of my head, here's three scenarios.

Yeah, you really got good points there.

DLC makes the game feel newer than it actually is, but Smash 4 will be two-and-a-half years old when NX launches in March. An enhanced version with additional content seems appropriate to me.

I wouldn't put it behind them if they decide to adjust something regard with gameplay. I meant they actually made the shield change for a patch, so there is a chance that it could happens during Smash NX development.

Oh no, this thread is back already? The ride never ends

I always wished for Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia, but alas, his chance has come and gone.

The ride will never end until Smash NX then it would be over for several years. (Finally, right?!) At least we got Lloyd Mii Costume tho. That's better than nothing.

https://twitter.com/WhiteTheVII/status/732340734855135232

CinMAg7XAAA7x_h.jpg

wew lads

Great news for all you Palutena fans out there: PrinceRamen won a Florida regional with solo Palutena, beating out top contenders like Riot (who has been dominating Florida as of late) and 8-Bitman.

Check out this stream and watch him tear through top 8 on the loser's side.

https://www.twitch.tv/gamersontheedge/v/66401491

I'm so proud of him. =)

mah man. I love seeing her do well, because she really does have a lot more potential than people give her.

jnWake

Anyone else been reading Source Gaming's translation of the Melee Music roundtable? Super fascinating stuff.

Introduction
Voice Dubbing
Orchestra and Chorus I
Orchestra and Chorus II
Musical Arrangements

It's not finished yet, but highlights include the difficulties of putting together an orchestra, the trials and tribulations of arranging the Temple theme, the concept behind Menu 2, and who their favorite Melee VA is. There's also apparently an entire section dedicated to the DK Rap coming up.

It's damn good. I doubt Sakurai is as involved now as he was back then with the music (way too many tracks now).

I love how cohesive Melee's OST is with less composers, I kinda wish they went back to that. Besides, nothing can go wrong with Ando and Sakai as main composers. Both are incredible.

I'm convinced we're testing the balance for the NX port. It's the only reason I can see for them continuing to do balance patches well after official support has ended. It's probably not hard at all to recompile the same character files for the Wii U as the NX and allows them to continue to support Smash 4 while also balancing the NX port.

Kaleo

Neo Member
Why the hell is the 3DS patch 5 times larger than the Wii U one.

From what I understand, Wii U patches just add/replace the necessary contents into previous ones, so they can be smaller. On 3DS, older patches are entirely replaced when a new one arrives.

This said... please Sakurai, spare Bayo :(

SuperSah

Banned
From what I understand, Wii U patches just add/replace the necessary contents into previous ones, so they can be smaller. On 3DS, older patches are entirely replaced when a new one arrives.

This said... please Sakurai, spare Bayo :(

Really? Many 3DS patches have been small though?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm convinced we're testing the balance for the NX port. It's the only reason I can see for them continuing to do balance patches well after official support has ended. It's probably not hard at all to recompile the same character files for the Wii U as the NX and allows them to continue to support Smash 4 while also balancing the NX port.

I hate to be pessimist because that argument could be countered easily. I could point it out that they are still focusing on the balance changes because they probably aren't working on the characters. Hopefully there is some kind of hint in data! ;P

FSLink

Banned

I disagree that this is some evidence. And by "official support has ended", you could easily take that to mean "no more DLC".

Kaleo

Neo Member
Really? Many 3DS patches have been small though?

Actually, every 3DS patch just increase in size every time, since they combine previous patches' contents.

I don't have the exact sizes right now, but if we make some comparison, we'll see a constant increase.

Keep in mind, though, 3DS updates between Europe and NA (and possibly Japan) have different sizes (probably due to extra languages on European games).

*EDIT*

1.1.5: 329MB.

FSLink

Banned
Wow, tournament Smash is even sadder than I realised.

Yeesh, I'll say.

How so? Because that's a very narrow viewpoint IMO.

When mods came out, it's not surprising that people would try to make stage list screens like this. Or if you're talking about the small amount of stages, it's not surprising when there's money on the line in tournaments that we choose to avoid stages with RNG elements.

Interesting, I don't think they've ever announced a "adjustment" patch ahead of time before. I wonder what this could mean, and whether we're getting it anytime soon. Bayo adjustments, more low tier buffs, Ike gets buffed yet again? :O

pls buff doc

FSLink

Banned
Interesting, I don't think they've ever announced a "adjustment" patch ahead of time before. I wonder what this could mean, and whether we're getting it anytime soon. Bayo adjustments, more low tier buffs, Ike gets buffed yet again? :O

pls buff doc

Doc, Puff, Duck Hunt buffs would be great. Some slight nerfs to Bayo, Cloud, and Rosa would be welcome too. Pretty happy with the balance overall at the moment so they only need some slight adjustments.

Really hoping a fix to Lucas's nair too. It's super easy to SDI out of it. :(

Top Bottom