• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Jawmuncher

What about Midna's Lament and Swan Lesson? The OST could definitely use some more songs like that though.

Forgot about those, though I do personally push more for song with lyrics. But yeah regardless more stuff like this would be great.

Zubz

Banned
I will never stop shouting that Peach's Castle 64 should be legal. There has never been a good argument for it to be banned, especially since they updated the stage so all the ledges are grabbable.

I wholeheartedly agree, but even if it's balanced, people apparently just hate the stage; when I play with friends, Peach's Castle's banned on the grounds that they don't like it. I'll agree with them that the stage might be a bit small (I know they were pushing for more 8-Player levels, but there's no way Peach's Castle should've been one), but for a 1v1, that just means you have to play more aggressively.

Also, I tried to match one of the colours Bayonetta had in Anarchy Reigns with a quick texture:

I wasn't bitter that she didn't have this color scheme until now; her Yellow palette in AR was great!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
My thought (cross post) on patch and the chance that smash team is still together.

Patch 1.1.6 apparently looks like an emergency patch since they didn't have a chance to work on other characters. So basically it's a nerf bat which designed just for Bayonetta. I guess March 2016 update was supposedly to be final update for Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U. I guess it's basically a proof that the team may be still together and working on Smash NX.

It's more likely that it's confirmed that Smash team is still together and likely to work on Smash NX.

Not EVERY type of Ryu input, just the long press ones for his tilts.

I speak only for myself, but these are actually the worst. Zigzags make some sort of internal sense even if I can mess them up every once in a while. That thing, though, is basically uncontrollable.

My thought (cross post) on patch and the chance that smash team is still together.

Patch 1.1.6 apparently looks like an emergency patch since they didn't have a chance to work on other characters. So basically it's a nerf bat which designed just for Bayonetta. I guess March 2016 update was supposedly to be final update for Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U. I guess it's basically a proof that the team may be still together and working on Smash NX.

It's more likely that it's confirmed that Smash team is still together and likely to work on Smash NX.
Or maybe they pulled a Capcom and had one person do everything.

But your probably right

Golnei

I wasn't bitter that she didn't have this color scheme until now; her Yellow palette in AR was great!

I thought most of the colour palettes in Anarchy Reigns were kind of boring, but Bayonetta's yellow/black colour and the white/red Amaterasu reference palette did stand out from the rest. I'd definitely have liked to see them officially be part of the game. At least we can add them ourselves now.

hni_0017nsjwb.jpg

New version of Sm4sh Explorer is out, you can now add additional music slots!

https://gbatemp.net/threads/sm4shexplorer-wii-u-only-for-now.416118/

tumblr_o4thmmrSOz1qg7mgao1_500.gif

PK Gaming

FNMLQiW.png

At this point, saying that Smash 4 has good balance is selling it short. The balance is now remarkably good for a roster of its size, like goddamn. There are a few aggressively mediocre characters, but that number is tiny relative to other Fighting games.

(Abadango, Earth and Umeki placed 33rd, 33rd and 49th respectively btw.)

jnWake

Between Kamemushi and Scatt, Mega Man is finally getting respect. It'd be cool to see these players compete in a big tourney again, like Genesis. Especially the guys playing less known characters like Duck Hunt.

ffdgh

FNMLQiW.png

At this point, saying that Smash 4 has good balance is selling it short. The balance is now remarkably good for a roster of its size, like goddamn. There are a few aggressively mediocre characters, but that number is tiny relative to other Fighting games.

I'm surprised at the complete lack of bayo. Unless she's not all that popular in japan's meta.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I'm awe at how many newcomers we got from Smash 4, and how good choices they were. If we actually get any new characters in Smash NX, I hope that they would still follow Smash 4 character card mojo.

No joke, I actually forgot Bowser Jr was in the game until I saw all those cards. Uh

Still though, I honestly believe this is the best newcomer lineup in series history. I have trouble processing we got so many amazing additions in one game.

Zebei

I'm awe at how many newcomers we got from Smash 4, and how good choices they were. If we actually get any new characters in Smash NX, I hope that they would still follow Smash 4 character card mojo.
Abraham Lincoln is the best smash newcomer of all time.

Now we just need his Codename STEAM outfit or something.

Mega Man, Cloud, and Ryu alone is pretty insane. Throw in guys like Little Mac and Shulk and it just gets better and better.

Too bad Dark Pit doesn't have a card :(

Ryce

Smash 4 gave us…
  • Gaming legends Pac-Man, Mega Man, Ryu, and Cloud
  • Iconic characters from major Nintendo games: Mii, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Duck Hunt, Rosalina & Luma, and Bowser Jr.
  • Cult favorites Shulk and Bayonetta
  • Lesser known characters from popular games: Greninja, Palutena, Robin, and Corrin
I didn’t think Sakurai would be able to top Brawl’s newcomer roster (this was a legitimate concern of mine pre-release), but he far exceeded my expectations. It’s a great selection of characters.

I love how SSB4 felt like it really started mining more cult/niche characters. It really raised the bar for the series, and instead of feeling like it was restricted to the most famous Nintendo series, truly makes it feel like anything can happen. We could have Sagi or Teleroboxer or Ayumi Tachibana in the next game and nobody would bat an eyelash.

Bayonetta in particular is a hugely significant inclusion for a number of reasons. Not even 2 years ago it looked like her franchise was a one-and-done affair that happened to get lucky with one last shot, and now a formerly-obscure, niche favourite that could've gone the way of Viewtiful Joe or Okami in forgotten-IP hell is preserved forever among the highest echelons of gaming franchises - all entirely due to the power of fan demand. It's incredible.

KingBroly

Banned

Time to buff ZSS. Japan knows the score.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I felt like Brawl's additions were "better" just from the perspective of mostly rounding out Nintendo's big names and a handful of obscure surprises. A lot of the Smash 4 additions feel kind of extraneous in comparison. It sort of sets a standard where the roster can never feel "complete," whereas Brawl at the time actually felt kind of close.

I felt like Brawl's additions were "better" just from the perspective of mostly rounding out Nintendo's big names and a handful of obscure surprises. A lot of the Smash 4 additions feel kind of extraneous in comparison. It sort of sets a standard where the roster can never feel "complete," whereas Brawl at the time actually felt kind of close.
This is more or less how I feel. Brawl's additions were mostly characters that felt necessary, while most of SSB4's characters feel in it for the fun of it. Which isn't bad, mind you, but Brawl's just isn't beatable.

The only SSB4 Nintendo newcomers that felt necessary like most of Brawl's did were Villager and Little Mac, to an extent. SSB4's home run hitters are basically all third party characters.

EDIT: I also feel that SSB4 leans too heavily on "what's going on in Nintendo right now," outside of the intentionally retro characters.

EDIT 2: For comparisons sake the only Brawl Nintendo newcomer that I think felt extraneous to a SSB4 level was Wolf (and maybe Lucas).

kewlmyc

That's not even including Dark Pit. (yeah yeah, I know)

Also checking out Bayo after the patch, and what purpose does her dive kick even have now?

I disagree with the addition to Sonic.
Felt like other 3rd party characters that made important appearance in Nintendo games are still worthy of a place in smash.

Then again Brawl felt empty without Mewtwo for me.

I dunno. I feel like the problem with Brawl was that it didn't really have a lot of modern characters. Pikmin was the most recently-represented IP and it was already 7 years old at the time (I guess you could argue for WarioWare, but eh). I always felt that was the most lacking aspect of the roster and I love how SSB4 started emphasizing that even the more recently-made franchises can be all-stars. And on the flipside, Brawl and Melee being more "rounding things out" meant a lot of safe choices, which aren't inherently bad, but SSB4 gave us a lot of balls-to-the-wall crazy picks that made things completely unpredictable.

Villager, Little Mac, Miis, Bowser Jr, and Mega Man are all characters who easily could've been in Brawl. Even Rosalina if her game came out sooner.

Plus I find the "oh man, where do we go from HERE?" aspect of the roster to be pretty exciting, in all honesty. Not only the characters themselves too - but what the newcomers bring to the series from a gameplay perspective in SSB4 is unparalleled.

Ryce

A lot of the Smash 4 additions feel kind of extraneous in comparison. It sort of sets a standard where the roster can never feel "complete," whereas Brawl at the time actually felt kind of close.
I disagree with that last bit -- I like Brawl's roster just fine for what it is, but Mewtwo's absence and the lack of an Animal Crossing character never sat well with me. I also remember a lot of people feeling underwhelmed with Brawl's roster when the hidden characters leaked.

Smash 4 gave us…
  • Gaming legends Pac-Man, Mega Man, Ryu, and Cloud
  • Iconic characters from major Nintendo games: Mii, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Duck Hunt, Rosalina & Luma, and Bowser Jr.
  • Cult favorites Shulk and Bayonetta
  • Lesser known characters from popular games: Greninja, Palutena, Robin, and Corrin
I didn’t think Sakurai would be able to top Brawl’s newcomer roster (this was a legitimate concern of mine pre-release), but he far exceeded my expectations. It’s a great selection of characters.

Seriously. I agree Brawl's rounding out of famous characters was great, but Smash 4's third-party additions are just incredible.

As someone who is interested in smash 4 modding ONLY to add music, this seems like a lot of work. Also not even sure if I could do this on a mac. eh.

I've been struggling with it since last night, and yeah, it is a lot to take in if you're not familiar with modding/homebrew at all, especially since the tutorials involved assume that you are.

At this point, I've made it up to Sm4shexplorer.

PK Gaming

I actually wasn't a fan of Brawl's newcomers. I remember anxiously waiting for the dojo to announce "that one character" that was for me, but it never happened. (The characters I were vaguely interested were Ike who's moveset was hot ass, and Lucas who pretty disappointing in practice). Contrast that with Smash 4 where the majority of the announced characters were "for me." But bias aside, Smash 4 has the infinitely more interesting newcomers. Gameplay wise, it isn't even a contest lmao.

How you gonna compare to Cloud, Ryu and Bayonetta. Wii Fit trainer and Villager were inspired choices, Robin's moveset is pure magic, etc.

That's not even including Dark Pit. (yeah yeah, I know)

Also checking out Bayo after the patch, and what purpose does her dive kick even have now?

It's a good move to throw in neutral because it's still safe on block. On hit, even though you can't combo from it puts Bayonetta in an advantageous situation.

Absolutely agreed! I could never go back to Melee or Brawl partially because of no Palutena, Duck Hunt, Mac, Cloud, or Bae-onetta.

I played Melee for the first time in a while the other day and it was jarring realizing just how many of my favourite characters in SSB4 actually debuted in that game. Really sobering.

Smash 4 newcomers were amaaaaazing.

Smash NX only has to have Inklings and Chorus Kids for me. Those are my last two big ones.

Of course, I can think of others. But those two are the big newcomers I'm hoping for.

I don't think much will top the month or so where Sakurai was making dreams come true with weekly new comers for Brawl.

Diddy, Dedede, Pokemon Trainer, Ike, Lucas and Sonic were revealed in such a short amount of time it was almost overwhelming.

The Dojo was insane. Those were some amazing times.

Yeah, seeing as how even the folks at GBATemp are struggling with it, think I'm gonna hold off on this music homebrew business until they figure it out and have more noob-friendly guides in place (I know it's an early-build but still). Too much of a headache.

I don't think much will top the month or so where Sakurai was making dreams come true with weekly new comers for Brawl.

Diddy, Dedede, Pokemon Trainer, Ike, Lucas and Sonic were revealed in such a short amount of time it was almost overwhelming.

The Dojo was insane. Those were some amazing times.

I can't believe it's been nine years! You Must Recover still seems like yesterday...

Gleethor

Yeah, seeing as how even the folks at GBATemp are struggling with it, think I'm gonna hold off on this music homebrew business until they figure it out and have more noob-friendly guides in place (I know it's an early-build but still). Too much of a headache.

Same

random25

FNMLQiW.png

I watched that Megaman in the GF and it was magical. Especially game 5.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well for basic music modding you can follow the guide posted earlier which is easy to follow. You'll be restricted to music from smashcustommusic though and you'll only be replacing files rather than adding additional skies, but it's a good start.

For me that's about all I could do with PAL Brawl since all the additional stuff was NTSC only.

Edit: seeing Raijinken's stage mod above reminds me of one stage mod I liked, Bridge of Eldin at night time. Hopefully someone can recreate that.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Project M music editing was a hassle and a half to do, especially if you wanted the songs to be renamed in all the menus properly (which I did)

Yeah, I did that too in Brawl. Though since I was reliant on Riivolution rather than Gecko codes like all the NTSC guides told you to use once I learnt how to replace one file it was quite easy to learn how to replace other files, so it was just a case of knowing what did what. Though if I recall some symbols didn't work well. I think one was "~" so songs like "~Theme of Love~" display properly if the song name list was edited.

Through trial and error I've managed to create my own working NUS3BANK file so now I'm not reliant on SmashCustomMusic. I might write out the steps later since there isn't a well written guide yet, just a hodge podge of steps scattered in multiple places that make a lot of assumptions. Once everything is in place it's rather easy if convoluted and of course nothing will make looping a loopless track any easier.

Well for basic music modding you can follow the guide posted earlier which is easy to follow. You'll be restricted to music from smashcustommusic though and you'll only be replacing files rather than adding additional skies, but it's a good start.

I'd rather have it be all or nothing, if you get my drift.

A written guide would be ideal, though. Not sure what mods you're using but for Sm4shExplorer I'd like to see something extensive and noob-friendly.

Edit: seeing Raijinken's stage mod above reminds me of one stage mod I liked, Bridge of Eldin at night time. Hopefully someone can recreate that.

Closest I could find.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'd rather have it be all or nothing, if you get my drift.

A written guide would be ideal, though. Not sure what mods you're using but for Sm4shExplorer I'd like to see something extensive and noob-friendly.

Closest I could find.

I haven't looked into Sm4shExplorer because I haven't ripped my game yet so my focus has been on replacing files and what music is missing, which I realise is quite limited as some stages don't have much music that needs replacing (unlike the DK stages that have so many editions of Jungle Hijinx that's you're spoilt for choice). I just felt some of the instruction for the steps to make your own NUS3BANK files (as smashcustommusic has disabled uploading for now) were a bit bare so not the most obvious thing to follow so if someone wanted help I could write a little guide that would hopefully help.

I saw that mod earlier. Seems they are still experimenting with working out how to mod the lighting properly. I'm in no rush.

Top Bottom