• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Richie

I wasn't even thinking of spin-offs like Hyrule Warriors or Pokken, but having music from those would be pretty great too!

I was legit surprised they didn't have Hyrule Warriors music when Hyrule Castle arrived as DLC. Dream Land got a varied My Music selection, whereas the other DLC stages took a very safe and unexciting route. They did get a new remix each, Peach's Castle's was amazing, Hyrule Castle's...Not bad, but it's the equivalent of getting the DK theme remixed as DLC. You have heard it a ton in the base game already so not much excitement for it.

Ideally, Smash NX would contain the Melee/Brawl tracks that didn't make it to Smash Wii U/3DS. And here's something I fervently want and would be easy as pie to implement:

Playlists. Let me listen track after track after track within a single match, instead of having a single one loop all the way through! Imagine getting a taste of all those Bayonetta tracks within the same battle. All of the other stages, too, Super Mario Maker stage would justify its ridiculous 27 songs in My Music! Let me have this, Sakurai!

I will never stop shouting that Peach's Castle 64 should be legal. There has never been a good argument for it to be banned, especially since they updated the stage so all the ledges are grabbable.

Sami+

Sad as in depressing. You look at the regular stage select screen with all its variety and then that image with most of it removed. It's like looking at a forest after a fire, you just feel sadness for what was lost.

I honestly had no idea the tournament scene had banned almost every stage in the game. That's why I said it was sadder than I realised.

It really sucks and some of the bans are overkill IMO (Halberd, Delfino, and Castle Siege were all legal a year ago) but it's really not the community's fault most of the stages are horrible. :/

Hazard toggle would breathe new life into the game for sure.

If everything pans out and we do get an NX version of Smash Bros, what new music would you like to see? I'm hoping we'd get some more music from DKC:TF and Fire Emblem Fates. It would be great if we got some music from the new Zelda and Pokemon Sun/Moon too!

My guess is that if we do get 3DS stages for it, they'll probably get recycled music from what's already in the game. New rips and arrangements would be cool though.

Boney

Banned
I think stage selection is fine but I thought Halberd was a lot more tolerable than Delfino despite the ridiculous blast zones.

The bigger shame is that none of the DLC stages other than Dream Land 64 are usable for tourneys. And that's just because it's Battlefield 1.0.

Just as an idea of some battle fitting remixes they could pluck from games released around or after the time of Smash Wii U, of course these games also have some great original tracks as well to use but in the spirit of smash I'm sticking to the remixed stuff.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Heavy Lobster: because seemingly it's possible to take a short SNES jingle and turn it into something befitting an epic showdown.

Crowned: Really though why was the original missing in the first place? I don't think we needed the stage 2 forest theme from the same game.

Revenge of the enemy: controversial opinion of yours truly, Rainbow Curse salvaging some of the mostly mediocre Triple Deluxe OST is neato.

Hyrule Warriors

House: Well, it's safe to say this was unexpected.

Skyloft: This is genuinely what the Skyloft stage requires

Kakariko Village: Look I appreciate you trying to sneak in the classic kakariko theme via village of the blue maiden but that still doesn't really mesh and loops in like 30 secs, Warriors trademark buttrock has us covered.

Now if I focused on full on new tracks, well I'll be here all day since many Nintendo titles have been killing it with their OSTs this gen if I do say so myself.

If everything pans out and we do get an NX version of Smash Bros, what new music would you like to see? I'm hoping we'd get some more music from DKC:TF and Fire Emblem Fates. It would be great if we got some music from the new Zelda and Pokemon Sun/Moon too!
I'd like some actual Metroid Prime music. Like, maybe, any track from Metroid Prime 3?

Concerning Hyrule Warriors: it was published by Tecmo Koei in Japan, so there would be rights issues in using anything from it. It's not technically a Nintendo game, so I wouldn't expect much from it in any future Smash.

Oh yeah. I almost forgot how dire the Prime music representation (well Prime in general) was in Smash 4.
Gotta have that classic burning lava fish, but hey at least we got...psychobits? from hunters? gross.

Clov

I'd like some actual Metroid Prime music. Like, maybe, any track from Metroid Prime 3?

Concerning Hyrule Warriors: it was published by Tecmo Koei in Japan, so there would be rights issues in using anything from it. It's not technically a Nintendo game, so I wouldn't expect much from it in any future Smash.

Yeah, the Metroid music selection was pretty disappointing. Some more stuff from Prime would be appreciated.

With Hyrule Warriors, I definitely wonder about the rights. Would characters like Linkle be stuck in a sort of "Geno" situation, where the third party developer owns the rights to the character? Would even the remixes themselves be potentially off-limits?

Even if Tecmo-Koei does own them, I wouldn't be too surprised to see some Hyrule Warriors elements appear in Smash NX. Nintendo is pretty close to Tecmo-Koei these days after all.

Neoxon

The same guy who did the initial Smash 4 port leak just leaked Resident Evil 7. If he's on the money with that, it may put more fuel to the fire for the NX Smash 4 port.

Sami+

Is anyone here going to CEO next month? It'll be my first super major, I'm hella excited and would love to meet some of you guys. I'll be there and at Prologue with my Tallahassee homies. :)

RGamer2009

Neo Member
If they have Yoshis Wooly World stage again, they NEED to add the Special Stage music. It is so high energy and fits the stage and Smash perfectly. I was devestated when I realized it wasnt a track in Smash U.

Sami+

Yeah, I'm going to both as well. I live in Orlando, so... =P

Let's hang out, man!

What if we got a NeoGAF crew together for some friendly crew battles, that'd be so fun 🔥🔥🔥

I don't mind a really good Yoshi if he's playing on my team after all ;)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If we ever get a new Smash next gen until the end of time, I hope this first 12 remains a constant fixture in the Smash roster. Such a great cast.

Yes! Puff almost got cut twice in the past so I'm concerned about her chance in the future.

If this port only adds the ice climbers and everything else is the same will you spend the money for a new system and this game?

Why not? I'm going to buy Nintendo NX for other many games. . I meant we are going to get a lot of quality nintendo games, like Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Splatoon, etc. I haven't regrets my Wii U purchase so I don't think I would regrets NX purchase in the future.

I doubt that they are going to add just one character and leave it as it is tho but I wouldn't be surprised tho.

The same guy who did the initial Smash 4 port leak just leaked Resident Evil 7. If he's on the money with that, it may put more fuel to the fire for the NX Smash 4 port.

There is no reason to doubt Dr. Toto in first place because he was right about Nintendo Mobile in the past. However, I want to clarify something before the misinformation gets spread around. Dr. Toto have no clue if Smash NX is going to be a port or not. Mostly it's just our common sense that put it together and assume that it might be an enhanced port or straight port.

VVe4vBB.png

KL9YeZ5.png

See what he said? Absolutely nothing about Smash 4, Smash Port or Smash 4 Port.

Sorry, I have more loyalty to CFL than GAF. =P

What is CFL?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Central Florida, a.k.a. where the god PrinceRamen presides.

I still can't get over him winning a regional with Palutena.

Oh yeah. I have heard about him winning with Palutena. I hope that Palutena wouldn't get nerfed in upcoming patch. /joking

Keep up, both of you. Are y'all planning to go to EVO this year?

Beats

DKC:TF music would be good. I'd personally like to see some more upbeat tracks/remixes for the animal crossing stages.

Jawmuncher

We need more Soundtrack Dissonance. I so miss calling to the night, right now the closest song to it is Azures Song from Fire Emblem fates.

OH MY GOD NEW PATCH INCOMING HELL YES. Hopefully this time, Sakurai remembers that oh yeah, he put Mega Man in the game and some of us out there play him. :p Buff our Blue Bomber already!

Steel yourselves, Bayo mains. There's no way she's getting through this patch unscathed (and she shouldn't, but hopefully they don't take the nerfs *too* far). Hopefully Rosalina finally gets hit with the nerf bat, too - she's always been ridiculously strong and has somehow remained so throughout all these patches. The minor nerfs to Luma weren't enough.

Wow, tournament Smash is even sadder than I realised.

This is exactly why I avoid tournaments myself even if I enjoy watching (and trying to learn, to a degree) high-level play. In a game with more than 50 stages, the vast majority of them great, I just can't bring myself to pay money to play on such a terribly neutered, dull set of the blandest stages possible. The lack of stage variety is the #1 thing that makes tournaments boring to watch, but exciting high-level play does help make up for that. I've always hoped that the competitive Smash community would eventually stop being so ban-happy and start becoming more liberal, but I've been hoping that since the Melee days and it just keeps getting worse. Never gonna happen. :p

That said, one of the best things about Smash is how customizable it is and how many valid ways there are to play it, and not everyone's "fun" is the same. If people want to pay money to play the game that way, I'm certainly not one to tell them they're wrong for doing so! I just wish the competitive community was a little more inclusive for those of us who might want to participate but also like to play on stages other than FD, Battlefield, Town & City, and Smashville. (Because let's he honest; even though there are a couple counterpick stages like Duck Hunt, you almost never actually see them picked.) Playing in a tournament setting can be so fun and exciting, but the exceedingly Draconian tournament ruleset just ruins it and ends up turning people like me away.

People are guessing stages but tbh I'm unsure on that.

Those people shouldn't do that to themselves. :p I would love nothing more, but both Sakurai and Nintendo have been incredibly definitive about Smash DLC being finished. There's no way any more new content is coming before Smash NX (if even then).

Clov

We need more Soundtrack Dissonance. I so miss calling to the night, right now the closest song to it is Azures Song from Fire Emblem fates.

What about Midna's Lament and Swan Lesson? The OST could definitely use some more songs like that though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Midna's Lament is an awful addition. It's a nice tune, but it's really not a fighting song.

Blues1990

OH MY GOD NEW PATCH INCOMING HELL YES. Hopefully this time, Sakurai remembers that oh yeah, he put Mega Man in the game and some of us out there play him. :p Buff our Blue Bomber already!

Steel yourselves, Bayo mains. There's no way she's getting through this patch unscathed (and she shouldn't, but hopefully they don't take the nerfs *too* far). Hopefully Rosalina finally gets hit with the nerf bat, too - she's always been ridiculously strong and has somehow remained so throughout all these patches. The minor nerfs to Luma weren't enough.

Yeah, seriously. It's becoming increasingly difficult to main as Mega Man, especially as my ass is grassed once the melee-heavy characters (Hello, Cob of the Corn!) get in and make it their goddamn birthright to blow me off the stage. It doesn't help that most of his projectiles can be nullified with the shield, and the Crash Bomb SHOULDN'T go poof when said shield is put up. Aside from the projectiles, I hope that the hit box for his grabs are also tweaked.

Clov

Midna's Lament is an awful addition. It's a nice tune, but it's really not a fighting song.

I don't mind it, personally. It does seem a bit somber, but it gives a nice contrast to what's happening on screen. The dissonance factor, I guess.

PK Gaming

Mega Man is a good character with proven success at high level play

Not that QoL buffs wouldn't be appreciated, but he honestly doesn't need them

FSLink

Banned
Zero was in my pool last year. I would've bodied him, but I lost to some random Diddy before we could face each other.

The random Diddy was Lethal Trilogy, he was #2 right under VoiD at the time here in Hawaii. :p
He usually used the strong upB with Diddy for the kill setups.

I think that was the first time both of them travelled out of state before, though VoiD went to a few SoCal tourneys before that (and then decided to move to SoCal)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well with Smash modding I'm thinking of going through the OST and swapping out the songs I feel are out of place, but I realise I haven't unlocked everything.

I kind of want a taunt spawner now. Sure it's cheating, but random CD drops are annoying.

The random Diddy was Lethal Trilogy, he was #2 right under VoiD at the time here in Hawaii. :p
He usually used the strong upB with Diddy for the kill setups.

I think that was the first time both of them travelled out of state before, though VoiD went to a few SoCal tourneys before that (and then decided to move to SoCal)

RANDOM

Mega Man is a good character with proven success at high level play

Not that QoL buffs wouldn't be appreciated, but he honestly doesn't need them

Hmm. I sort of agree with you, but it's not like he exactly has a ton of proven success at high-level play. ScAtt has put in some fantastic work with him recently, sure, but he's one of only two high-level Mega Man players with proven tournament success (that I can recall; correct me if I'm wrong!), and Mega Man otherwise seems to hit a severe ceiling when it comes his match-ups against most of the high/top-tier characters, especially the speedy ones.

You're not wrong, though. As much as I think Mega Man needs some decent buffs, they would be more of the QoL variety and there are certainly other characters who need more help than he does.

Golnei

I couldn't find a Ganondorf-specific fanfare I liked, so I made an attempt at one based on the intro to the OoT final boss theme.

Also, I tried to match one of the colours Bayonetta had in Anarchy Reigns with a quick texture:
Side by side, the change in her proportions is really blatant...

Clefargle

Some things I liked in Sm4sh that I want to see implemented in the next "true" smash sequel. (I.e. Not the NX remake)...

1. Long press/ short press moves like Ryu.
A global implementation of Ryu's alternate inputs for tilts, specials, and standard moves could really deepen the current meta and give room for improvements in the movesets for some stale characters. (Jiggly, Zelda, ect)

2. More Custom move implementation
Customs are great and I love em, but they were clearly thrown in later in development and aren't well balanced or featured in standard play. Another shot at making some of them more balanced and unique would go a long way. Even just an alternate FG mode with customs would be awesome. Also I would like to see them use customs to replicate old movesets from past games, like bowser's side special.

3. Snaaaaaaaaaake!

4. Amiibo used for scanning in player data. I would love to see Amiibo get increased functionality for ease of use. Like the Wii remote could store control config data and player tag in brawl. I would like to see that at the bare minimum with amiibo but why not go further and allow custom move loadouts to be scanned in for competitive play? I can dream can't I?

FSLink

Banned
Hmm. I sort of agree with you, but it's not like he exactly has a ton of proven success at high-level play. ScAtt has put in some fantastic work with him recently, sure, but he's one of only two high-level Mega Man players with proven tournament success (that I can recall; correct me if I'm wrong!), and Mega Man otherwise seems to hit a severe ceiling when it comes his match-ups against most of the high/top-tier characters, especially the speedy ones.

There's very few Mega Man mains in the first place, and the two most notable ones (ScAtt and the Japanese MM player Kamemushi) don't travel much so that would explain the lack of proven success. So I dunno, he has room for more wins in the future. ScAtt just started going to more majors too.

His only clear bad top tier matchup is Sheik imo (and even that has room for growth, ScAtt did take VoiD to game 5 in a recent tourney), and his matchups against pre-patch Bayo and Cloud definitely made for a pretty friendly metagame for him that not many players took advantage of yet. He also doesn't do terribly against Diddy Kong either.

He also has a lot of tech that people aren't utilizing to the fullest yet. The z-drop footstool to shoryuken stuff that Kamemushi does is fantastic. There's also not many areas where you could buff him without making him too crazy I think. The dead zone above him (where bouncing fish loves to hit) would make his lemon wall really difficult to get past if he had better coverage there. I think Leaf Shield is fine as is too. I dunno.

Some things I liked in Sm4sh that I want to see implemented in the next "true" smash sequel. (I.e. Not the NX remake)...

1. Long press/ short press moves like Ryu.
A global implementation of Ryu's alternate inputs for tilts, specials, and standard moves could really deepen the current meta and give room for improvements in the movesets for some stale characters. (Jiggly, Zelda, ect)

2. More Custom move implementation
Customs are great and I love em, but they were clearly thrown in later in development and aren't well balanced or featured in standard play. Another shot at making some of them more balanced and unique would go a long way. Even just an alternate FG mode with customs would be awesome. Also I would like to see them use customs to replicate old movesets from past games, like bowser's side special.

3. Snaaaaaaaaaake!

4. Amiibo used for scanning in player data. I would love to see Amiibo get increased functionality for ease of use. Like the Wii remote could store control config data and player tag in brawl. I would like to see that at the bare minimum with amiibo but why not go further and allow custom move loadouts to be scanned in for competitive play? I can dream can't I?

1. Would be interesting, but maybe just limit it to certain moves (like Jigglypuff's rest could be a heal if held down, if she taps it it's the normal attack), and not a global thing. Ryu's considered complicated for a reason, and I don't necessarily think making the whole game complex on a control scheme level is a design philosophy they're going towards.

2. Yeah, in an interview Sakurai did say it wasn't meant to be balanced. But I would like to see it expanded upon. I'd actually love to see Final Smashes integrated into the game somehow and balanced. So many cool animations that we hardly get to see in competitive play.

3. Yes please, but RIP due to Konami

4. Would probably have to be next-gen Amiibo because they can't hold much data in the first place. I'd also love to see online Amiibo vs battles, or 2v2s (with each side having an amiibo) online too. So much more potential.

Clefargle

4. Would probably have to be next-gen Amiibo because they can't hold much data in the first place. I'd also love to see online Amiibo vs battles, or 2v2s (with each side having an amiibo) online too. So much more potential.

Actually the amiibo data you can store for FP (figurine players) includes customs, equipment, a name, and the play style data they learn from you. I think it could store player data just fine.

Top Bottom