• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

He does drive in a Mario Kart for his side special. It looks basically identical to the Clown Car in Mario Kart 7, just without the exhaust pipe out of the mouth. The attack is clearly inspired by Mario Kart.

150px-MK7_Koopa_Clown.png

So I could see the confusion

It's not that I don't understand why the leaker would've been confused, but for whatever reason the classic *pipeframe design came to mind when I read that.

*I actually don't think Jr.'s ever ridden on one of those, but still.

Ryce

I’ve always thought Mario Kart (driven by a generic Shy Guy or even Toad) would be a good surprise character, but it seems unlikely now that Bowser Jr. is playable with a pilot gimmick. It would have a turbo boost, kart dash (Bowser Jr.’s side special), and Lakitu fishing rod recovery. Its regular attacks would be rams, flips, and spins.

Richie

I’ve always thought Mario Kart (driven by a generic Shy Guy or even Toad) would be a good surprise character, but it seems unlikely now that Bowser Jr. is playable with a pilot gimmick. It would have a turbo boost, kart dash (Bowser Jr.’s side special), and Lakitu fishing rod recovery. Its regular attacks would be rams, flips, and spins.

Excitebiker with Mach Rider alt costume. Believe.

It's not that I don't understand why the leaker would've been confused, but for whatever reason the classic *pipeframe design came to mind when I read that.

*I actually don't think Jr.'s ever ridden on one of those, but still.

Jr has never been in a Mario Kart game featuring the Pipe Frame. Although Toad's Kart in Double Dash seems to be a spiritual successor to the pipe frame.

He's never been in one featuring the Clown Car either, oddly enough. He isn't in DS or 7.

He's only (sadly) ever been in two Mario Karts, Double Dash and Wii. Jr actually isn't really used in spin offs as much as you'd think, at least as far as Mario Kart and Mario Party are concerned.

I would actually love to see some alts expanded in Smash NX. Stuff like:

- 8 more Villagers
- One variation for each Koopaling and Jr.
- MORE WARIO COLORS JEEZ
- 4 more each for Olimar and Alph (would prefer Alph be separated into the clone he was meant to be tho)
- 4 more colors for each gender of WFT, Robin, and Kamui

PK Gaming

I would actually love to see some alts expanded in Smash NX. Stuff like:

- 8 more Villagers
- One variation for each Koopaling and Jr.
- MORE WARIO COLORS JEEZ
- 4 more each for Olimar and Alph (would prefer Alph be separated into the clone he was meant to be tho)
- 4 more colors for each gender of WFT, Robin, and Kamui

Each character having a distinct alt costume (ie: Ness's PJs, Robin's Grandmaster outfit, Corrin's Nohr Noble/Hoshido Noble getup, Nurse Peach, Nurse Wario, Classic Ganondorf, etc) would be the shit.

Do what needs to be done Smash team.

Ninka_kiwi

Neo Member
I think what made it more skeptical was how one of the leakers mentioned he drove in a "Mario Kart". Beyond weird.

To be fair, when information was originally leaked to me, my source used the term "kart" to describe what bowser jr was in. It was until he started saying jr used things like Buzz saws and boxing gloves that I realized it was the clown car rather then a mario kart and I updated my leak. It seems like after people reposted my original leak from the smash boards leaks threads, a lot of people twisted and basterdized what I said.

When will modders do what has to be done?

WIFk0AL.jpg

When model importing becomes a thing.

One thing we have to consider in regards to alt colors and costumes is that Sakurai doesn't exactly have full control over that. The Pokemon characters, Pac-Man and Sonic are good examples of that. I thought it'd be cool if Mewtwo had his armor from the anime as an alt like in PM but I'd imagine The Pokemon Company is probably very stingy about that. Likewise I hear Namco and Sega are responsible for Pac-Man's and Sonic's lousy color schemes as well.

Just to set a another example, I also really like Project M's Mr. L alt, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo didn't feel comfortable with Luigi having it in an official Smash game because technically speaking, Luigi doesn't become Mr. L, Paper Luigi does, who they most likely consider a different character from Luigi.

To be fair, when information was originally leaked to me, my source used the term "kart" to describe what bowser jr was in. It was until he started saying jr used things like Buzz saws and boxing gloves that I realized it was the clown car rather then a mario kart and I updated my leak. It seems like after people reposted my original leak from the smash boards leaks threads, a lot of people twisted and basterdized what I said.

Gotcha.

It's pretty much become the Smash community's MO to twist statements, LOL

Just to set a another example, I also really like Project M's Mr. L alt, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo didn't feel comfortable with Luigi having it in an official Smash game because technically speaking, Luigi doesn't become Mr. L, Paper Luigi does, who they most likely consider a different character from Luigi.
Just made me realize Paper Luigi hasn't had a non-cameo role in nine years, wow.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This is a game where technically speaking, Twilight Princess Link never wore the FD mask or lived in Skyloft. Little Mac is technically not the wireframe boxer in the arcade Punch-Out. Samus' suit colours are technically not the right shapes. I don't think when it comes to reference colours, which version of a character it is matters too much. It's more likely that Mr. L is such an alter ego that you can't really consider him a Luigi alt, he acts as his own character. Heck, despite Mario and Luigi sharing a Waluigi scheme, Luigi didn't even get a NES Open Tournament Golf outfit (I've seen a mod for this already though)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
To be fair, being on point with Cloud is like running by yourself in a three-legged race.

Not saying being M2K doesn't help lol but it'd be nice to see him mess around with someone that wasn't top tier.
Would be great if everybody stopped using Fox and Falco in Melee and started playing with true characters like Bowser and Pichu too

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sakurai seems to disagree with that.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_tips_(SSB4-Wii_U)#Original_Games.2FSettings

There's also the fact that Mac appears in the 1980-1984 portion of All-Star Mode.

Well, so does DK, and we all know the mess about whether he's technically the right DK for that time period.

I did re-read the Iwata Asks about Punch-Out!! (Wii) to see whether it shed any light on the situation, but it doesn't. All I can really say is that the wider community outside of Sakurai (and even then, you can read that tip to simply state the boxer in the original two games was nameless) considers Arcade Challenger and Little Mac two separate people.

Ryce

It's kind of weird that Sakurai considers both characters the same person. The NES/Wii character is called Little Mac for a reason -- he's short. The character in the arcade games isn't.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
On this subject, Super Punch-Out!! (SNES)'s protagonist isn't Little Mac as confirmed by the producers, no matter what EA (lol) tries to tell you.

On this subject, Super Punch-Out!! (SNES)'s protagonist isn't Little Mac as confirmed by the producers, no matter what EA (lol) tries to tell you.

Technically Nintendo of America also retroactively considers the SPO protagonist to be Little Mac, as shown in the VC rereleases.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/super-punch-out-3ds

Featuring the tight game play and humor the series is known for, this sequel to the NES classic sees Little Mac return to the ring with the World Video Boxing Association belt once again at stake. Slug your way through the grueling, sweat-pounding matches of the Minor, Major, and World Circuits as you face off against some of Little Mac's greatest rivals like Bear Hugger, Bald Bull, and Super Macho Man. With a cast of new challengers waiting, do you have what it takes to identify their unique patterns and exploit their weaknesses? Go to your corner and come out fighting, but remember what Doc Louis would say, "It's not about brawling—it's about finesse!"

Sure thing Doc, even though you're not actually in this game oops.

Ryce

Yeah, I've always assumed there were three different Punch-Out!! protagonists.

1. Arcade - Generic boxer.
2. NES/Wii - Little Mac; the short teen from the Bronx with Doc Louis in his corner.
3. SNES - Generic boxer with blonde hair.

Each character having a distinct alt costume (ie: Ness's PJs, Robin's Grandmaster outfit, Corrin's Nohr Noble/Hoshido Noble getup, Nurse Peach, Nurse Wario, Classic Ganondorf, etc) would be the shit.

Do what needs to be done Smash team.

fuck YES @ Robin having a Grandmaster alt

Speaking of alts...

CjJAxmCVAAEmGDm.jpg:large

Am I the only who's really bothered by the fact that Sakurai never gives the transformation characters (ie Giga Bowser, Giga Mac, etc) their own alt colors? Especially since when it doesn't seem really hard to do as shown above. Project M also gave Giga Bowser his own colors as well.

I think the worst offender in this regard is Giga Mac, particurly if you're using Little Mac's wireframe skins
like I do
. It's just really jarring to transform from a mute wireframe apparition into a fully fleshy guy that can suddenly make audible growls/noises.

TRfdAPb.png

I just wanna see someone make this for Little Mac. The palette swap isn't enough for me.

Give him his own voice clips too like "Piece of Cake!" and "Right on!".

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Not sure if anyone here follows the competitive Smash 4 scene but today was a great tournament. Ally beat Zero in the finals and won his first big tournament. There was also a Shulk main AND a Little Mac main in the top 16. Zero also lost to M2K's Cloud today.
Has there been any youtube videos yet?
I heard m2k destroyed zero in winners

jph139

I actually really dislike the TP designs for the cast in general - the fact we only have one non-TP Zelda amiibo (Toon Link) as a direct result only makes the decision to stick with them sting more.

Top Bottom