• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

3P2Xe3qh.jpg

MAyzrGeh.jpg

ByFLo9Vh.jpg

Woowee.

On a side note, Warning Siren is a pretty underrated track from Melee. Very moody. In hindsight it's interesting they went with their own escape theme for the Brinstar portion of Adventure Mode instead of using the traditional "Escape" music (or Ridley's theme) from Metroid/Zero Mission.

You've done real good with that soundtrack selection. I wholeheartedly agree with you on Warning Siren, by the way.

Yes, I am the best.

Next up I'm probably gonna add a bunch of DKC2/3 music to Kongo Jungle 64. I actually already added This Chase is Haunted, a sweet guitar remix of Haunted Chase from DKC2: Serious Monkey Business. Of course at some point I'm gonna have to add more tracks to Midgar due to how pitiful the music selection is there.

ffdgh

3P2Xe3qh.jpg

MAyzrGeh.jpg

ByFLo9Vh.jpg

Woowee.

On a side note, Warning Siren is a pretty underrated track from Melee. Very moody. In hindsight it's interesting they went with their own escape theme for the Brinstar portion of Adventure Mode instead of using the traditional "Escape" music (or Ridley's theme) from Metroid/Zero Mission.

Speaking of the punch out music, would be cool if it was possible to play the alternate themes for when mac is knocked down on the last stock/30 seconds like for ryu's stage

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Speaking of the punch out music, would be cool if it was possible to play the alternate themes for when mac is knocked down on the last stock/30 seconds like for ryu's stage

It could be done in theory. Options like SFX per costume were discovered because fighters like Bowser Jr have that functionality so if someone explore's Ryu's stage they may find the variable that allows you to switch music track based on that.

It's really a shame there wasn't a medley of all the different Punch Out Fighter Themes.

I was hoping there would be, considering they make up 90% of the Punch Out Soundtrack and are a highlight of the game.

In other news, there's maybe some evidence this wasn't the last patch for Smash 4. Maybe? I think that's what the article was saying, I was kind of iknowsomeofthosewords.gif through the entire thing.

Basically it says something that we already really know:

Some entity or group of people have continued to work on Smas beyond the release of Bayo and Corrin. That much was clear with the patch before this most recent one, and even this Bayo-killing patch.

However, it does beg the question of why this patch changed the compile paths of those files. It could just be the result of desynchronus branching.

But my gut wants to say this happened because the team is working on an even newer version of Smash (whether that's another Wii U/3DS patch or Smash NX), and that these compile paths are the ones being used for the new version.

Basically, two possibilities if this is true:

1) They weren't ready to drop a totally new patch but wanted to address issues with Bayo, so they stripped the newer version of all changes except hers, retaining the compile paths. This doesn't sit right with me, because if they were planning a new patch it should have probably been done by now unless they were making widespread changes. In any case, it's still possible that they're planning more patches.

2) They're using the Wii U data to develop Smash NX. By this I mean, they're using Smash Wii U as a base, and building the NX game off of it. If that's happening, then development will probably look a lot like this, with compile paths changing with no real discernible reason why. This one is a bit of a stretch, but the path changes are really odd to me.

Richie

I just listened to the entirety of the Melee soundtrack while typing stuff here at the office.

I NEED to learn me those modding methods to put some of these absolute jewels back into Smash Wii U.

jnWake

Not sure if anyone here follows the competitive Smash 4 scene but today was a great tournament. Ally beat Zero in the finals and won his first big tournament. There was also a Shulk main AND a Little Mac main in the top 16. Zero also lost to M2K's Cloud today.

Is this a mod thread or a community thread? No discussion about Ally winning his first major while defeating ZeRo? That major also being the biggest tournaments in Canada ever, and with MKLeo in attendance? ZeRo was super rusty (struggled to kill, a lot less power shields), but Ally still placed amazing.

Is this a mod thread or a community thread? No discussion about Ally winning his first major while defeating ZeRo? That major also being the biggest tournaments in Canada ever, and with MKLeo in attendance? ZeRo was super rusty (struggled to kill, a lot less power shields), but Ally still placed amazing.

>implying this community cares about silly competitions

nah I'm just messing lol. Maybe check the weekend competition thread, usually discussion is there regarding tournaments.

Tripon

Not sure if anyone here follows the competitive Smash 4 scene but today was a great tournament. Ally beat Zero in the finals and won his first big tournament. There was also a Shulk main AND a Little Mac main in the top 16. Zero also lost to M2K's Cloud today.

>implying this community cares about silly competitions

nah I'm just messing lol. Maybe check the weekend competition thread, usually discussion is there regarding tournaments.
Yes, I usually include a big Smash tournament when I know it's happening unless I know a Smasher is making their own thread. If you want something more specific, feel free to make your own threads

I do. I tuned out for a while after mk leo beat nairo, and now i'm kind of stunned at the list of results that was waiting when I returned. I'm excited to go back and watch some sets.

I'll also be going back to watch some melee sets. I hope n0ne vs hugs was recorded.

I'm waiting for the recordings to see the Shulk and Mac mains. The Mac guy had a pretty close set against Nairo.

I didn't see that set, but I did see him fight some other earlier matches, and yeah it's pretty cool. I think I'm gonna take advantage of my friend who's just getting into competitive smash as a chance to train up a pocket shulk

For the record, here's a video tutorial on how to add new music slots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h30XXId06Go

Make sure you already have mods and stuff set up.

http://pastebin.com/ES053DpJ
http://pastebin.com/NENj6bTV

This was one of the videos I turned to and I was fine up until the "I covered how to convert into IDSP in my last tutorial". Searched the channel and couldn't find anything.

Last I left off, I attempted to load the game via Loadiine (with a couple song additions with stuff already from the game), and got a system memory error. It spooked me in the "I think I'm playing with fire" kinda way.

I just listened to the entirety of the Melee soundtrack while typing stuff here at the office.

I NEED to learn me those modding methods to put some of these absolute jewels back into Smash Wii U.

Fourside and Multi-Man Melee 1 shall have their return!

PK Gaming

GOML was awesome

Lot of upsets and amazing sets

Mr. Videogame himself won his first major today

And here's some footage of the new Bayonetta

Some of her combos are still a thing

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Melee at GOML was crazy. It couldn't have turned out better. Leffen finishes his Canada stay by beating M2K, Armada, Hbox, and Mango at the same tournament and winning.

And n0ne's run was excellent.

Beats

Putting new tracks into the game doesn't seem to hard. Going to probably mess around with that during the week. What do you think are some good upbeat Animal Crossing tracks to put on Smashville? I never really played the games so I dunno.

-

earlier today I was thinking of how they could add more moves to characters without adding more attack buttons or getting into more execution heavy stuff. And I think they could do it by having "tilt/smash" special moves. It's something that's not completely new to special moves since Samus has this already with her Homing/Super Missile Side-b special move. Good or bad idea? Mechanically it's about as hard as doing normal tilts and smash attacks, so I think it'd still fit with Smash across all characters. Some existing custom moves could work with this like Wii Fit Trainer's Weighted Header which has more knockback compared to the regular Header and goes at a different angle.

dunno if sakurai would be down with that though tbh.

animal crossing is awesome don't listen to him

I was thinking adding some of the MK8 arrangements to both of them (Brawl Custom Music has all of 'em wrapped up in a big medley).

This music mod is some magical shit, has made several stages way more tolerable to play on now that I'm not hearing the same old tunes over and over again.

Just saying bros, put a couple Touhou tunes in there and you got the best soundtrack of all time. I recommend adding Flowering Night to Battlefield to start off with.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
To imply competition talk is community but modding isn't is the kind of divisive talk that causes rifts that this community is infamous for. Modding now being accessible has made it the new talk of the town, is it a surprise a Smash thread would talk about it, especially as it is something everyone can participate in?

To imply competition talk is community but nodding isn't is the kind of divisive talk that causes rifts that this community is ingenious for. Modding now being accessible has made it the new talk of the town, is it a surprise a Smash thread would talk about it, especially as it is something everyone can participate in?

Calm down. I was just pointing out that after the amazing tournament today (and during), there was no discussion about it. I never said modding wasn't allowed. Just made a bit of a joke.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Calm down. I was just pointing out that after the amazing tournament today (and during), there was no discussion about it. I never said modding wasn't allowed. Just made a bit of a joke.

It don't really sound like a joke to me so I think you really need to work on your delivery skill. :p

Also I would like to point it out that you could have decent chance to have a conversation about tournament in Super Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U DLC thread because that's where most of competitive players usually hanging out there. I'm perfectly fine with talking about it here but don't really come in and expect everyone to discuss about something that you wanted. People would comment on it if they are interested to take it further in the discussion.

Also there is someone else and Tripon who could make a tournament thread for you to discuss in. Strange enough, if you want to point out why there is no discussion "DURING the tournament" then why did it isn't occur to you to start a discussion about it. I imagine that it's not that hard to! :p So, if there is any tournament that you want to discuss about, just pm Tripon and he would include the tournament to his tournament weekly thread or something like that.

Tripon

Again, people can make their own threads for tournaments if they want. If you feel like the current tournament threads are being dominated by SFV, Melee, etc, feel free to make your own.

People only comment on what they are watching.

Edit: and yes, if you feel like there is a tournament you want as part of Fighting Tournament Weekend, pm me and I'll add it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Cloud still looks like its fake

It's the case where the dream actually become real.

No joke, I actually forgot Bowser Jr was in the game until I saw all those cards. Uh

Still though, I honestly believe this is the best newcomer lineup in series history. I have trouble processing we got so many amazing additions in one game.

I rarely use Bowser JR because I always use Koopalings instead. :p Yep, it could be surreal when we look at the roster and that's what we got in Smash 4. It's pretty amazing in many different way.

Too bad Dark Pit doesn't have a card :(
That's not even including Dark Pit. (yeah yeah, I know)

What kind of catch phase are they going to have on the card if he did get one?

My favorite set of newcomers in a fighting game, period

I really love all games' sets of newcomers because they were great on their own at different eras. However, Smash 4 is definitely my favorite set right now!

I disagree with that last bit -- I like Brawl's roster just fine for what it is, but Mewtwo's absence and the lack of an Animal Crossing character never sat well with me. I also remember a lot of people feeling underwhelmed with Brawl's roster when the hidden characters leaked.

Now, we are saying almost same thing about Ice Climbers and Wolf not being in Smash 4. Also it felt weird that the roster is lacking Rhythm Heaven and Splatoon characters. Just hope that Smash NX would complete the roster with those 4.

Absolutely agreed! I could never go back to Melee or Brawl partially because of no Palutena, Duck Hunt, Mac, Cloud, or Bae-onetta.

Despite how much I loved Smash 4, I still played Melee and Brawl sometime since Melee is Melee and Brawl have Wolf and Snake.

It don't really sound like a joke to me so I think you really need to work on your delivery skill. :p

Also I would like to point it out that you could have decent chance to have a conversation about tournament in Super Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U DLC thread because that's where most of competitive players usually hanging out there. I'm perfectly fine with talking about it here but don't really come in and expect everyone to discuss about something that you wanted. People would comment on it if they are interested to take it further in the discussion.

Also there is someone else and Tripon who could make a tournament thread for you to discuss in. Strange enough, if you want to point out why there is no discussion "DURING the tournament" then why did it isn't occur to you to start a discussion about it. I imagine that it's not that hard to! :p So, if there is any tournament that you want to discuss about, just pm Tripon and he would include the tournament to his tournament weekly thread or something like that.

I'll add a /s next time as I hear those make everything better. I'll just stay out of this thread then as it isn't what I thought it was.

Bowser Jr was always a character I wanted in Smash, but always thought he wasn't really important enough in the series to be added. I never would have imagined he'd ride around in a Clown Car either, but in retrospect, that's just the sort of moveset that feels so "Sakurai" that I'm surprised it hadn't been thought of before (and that people thought it was ridiculous when it first leaked).

So I always remember Bowser Jr is in Smash. Although, I wish he had proper alts, in addition to the Koopalings. ...And was a bit stronger.

Ryce

Bowser Jr was always a character I wanted in Smash, but always thought he wasn't really important enough in the series to be added. I never would have imagined he'd ride around in a Clown Car either, but in retrospect, that's just the sort of moveset that feels so "Sakurai" that I'm surprised it hadn't been thought of before (and that people thought it was ridiculous when it first leaked).

So I always remember Bowser Jr is in Smash. Although, I wish he had proper alts, in addition to the Koopalings. ...And was a bit stronger.
I honestly don't think I've ever seen a fan move set that had Bowser Jr. in the Clown Car. Everyone expected him to be a speedy Bowser clone or be based entirely around the paintbrush. (For the record, I always hated the paintbrush idea since that hasn't been central to Bowser Jr.'s character in over a decade. There's a lot more to him than Sunshine.)

Only mod I would like to see would be the Mario characters in their strikers gear and mega man with x armor so he looks like his gameboy color x version.

I honestly don't think I've ever seen a fan move set that had Bowser Jr. in the Clown Car. Everyone expected him to be a speedy Bowser clone or be based entirely around the paintbrush. (For the record, I always hated the paintbrush idea since that hasn't been central to Bowser Jr.'s character in over a decade. There's a lot more to him than Sunshine.)

In hindsight, sticking Jr in a Clown Car solves so many issues with Jr could have had. It means he doesn't need to rely on the one off paintbrush. It means he doesn't need to ensure he isn't just a smaller Bowser. And it makes a character that sort of teeters between main character and Kamek-tier and gives them a unique reason to be in Smash. Along with bringing the Koopalings with him, who are excellent characters to have in Smash to round out the villain support a bit (although it's still not great).

There was a leak on reddit detailing how Bowser Jr. and DHD worked months before Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt Dog and Duck had been unveiled. Most were skeptical and wrote it off. Admittedly I thought it was ridiculous at first but later on I believed it because it seemed like something Sakurai would do.

PMS341

Can't wait to watch! M2K's Cloud is really on point.

To be fair, being on point with Cloud is like running by yourself in a three-legged race.

Not saying being M2K doesn't help lol but it'd be nice to see him mess around with someone that wasn't top tier.

So uh, I bailed from reading that "Smash 4 is a worthy successor to Melee" thread the moment someone said Sakurai "forgot fun" in Smash 4. Have things improved?

In hindsight, sticking Jr in a Clown Car solves so many issues with Jr could have had. It means he doesn't need to rely on the one off paintbrush. It means he doesn't need to ensure he isn't just a smaller Bowser. And it makes a character that sort of teeters between main character and Kamek-tier and gives them a unique reason to be in Smash. Along with bringing the Koopalings with him, who are excellent characters to have in Smash to round out the villain support a bit (although it's still not great).

Preach it. I can't believe Jr. is one of my favorite Smash 4 newcomers, but I guess I owe it more to the Koopalings.

There was a leak on reddit detailing how Bowser Jr. and DHD worked months before Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt Dog and Duck had been unveiled. Most were skeptical and wrote it off. Admittedly I thought it was ridiculous at first but later on I believed it because it seemed like something Sakurai would do.

I think what made it more skeptical was how one of the leakers mentioned he drove in a "Mario Kart". Beyond weird.

So with Bay being the only character changed in 1.1.6 is it safe to assume that's the final patch? Sad to see Zelda, Dedede, Ganondorf, and others being cursed to stay in the shit-tier side of things but eh... balancing 50+ characters doesn't really seem possible. Though I do hope they work on balancing again for the Smash 4 NX port if it's real.

i'm salty cuz we didn't get a patch that removes Cloud from the game :/

He does drive in a Mario Kart for his side special. It looks basically identical to the Clown Car in Mario Kart 7, just without the exhaust pipe out of the mouth. The attack is clearly inspired by Mario Kart.

150px-MK7_Koopa_Clown.png

So I could see the confusion, if, for example, the leaker only remembered seeing Jr's side special.

Neoxon

So with Bay being the only character changed in 1.1.6 is it safe to assume that's the final patch? Sad to see Zelda, Dedede, Ganondorf, and others being cursed to stay in the shit-tier side of things but eh... balancing 50+ characters doesn't really seem possible. Though I do hope they work on balancing again for the Smash 4 NX port if it's real.

i'm salty cuz we didn't get a patch that removes Cloud from the game :/
I wouldn't be surprised if the NX port is just a straight port of the Wii U version. Depending on how you see it, Bayonetta being the only one changed in 1.1.6 could mean that the dev team is more-or-less done with the game.

Top Bottom