• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Neoxon

It's a shame, because Smash 4 is way bigger than any game on finals day that isn't Melee or SFV.

I can kinda understand why they don't want so many hours of Smash on one day, but I want both Smash games to succeed. Melee certainly deserves what they get, they get tons of viewers and have tons of fans. But Smash 4 constantly being treated as the odd game out isn't helping them grow. A lot of people don't even tune in to EVO until the finals on Sunday. I don't see why the Sunday schedule couldn't go Smash 4 - Mortal Kombat - Mahvel - Melee - SFV.
On top of the EVO organizers not wanting two Smash games having Grand Finals on the same day, Melee has more story lines associated with it than Smash 4. Granted, there's ZeRo's one-man reign of terror, but that's it (& even that was hampered due to ZeRo's hand injury not too long ago). There's a reason why Dreamhack Montreal chose Melee over Smash 4, & why eSports teams are going for Melee players more than they are Smash 4 players. To the FGC, Melee is the main Smash game, while Smash 4 is just along for the ride. I sadly wouldn't be surprised if Smash 4 starts to die off in the FGC in a few years while Melee still goes strong.

CronoShot

Lol, Xrd was the reason Evo got on sports center, and you want to drop them on Sunday.

Mahvel would be the obvious choice to drop, but it's Mr. Wizard's favorite game, so it always gets Sunday.

Besides, this EVO being SFV's first (and being enormous at that), getting a mention on ESPN is probably a sure thing.

Simbabbad

So, uh, not sure where to ask this, but I have this bizarre bug where I update my Mii fighter by changing his moveset, but when I go back and play it in Event mode, it still has the old moveset. I go back to the personalisation mode, and the change is still there, but if I go back again in Event mode, it's not updated.

WTF? I tried going out of the game and relaunching it, but it doesn't change anything. Is it a known issue? How do you solve it?

EDIT: never mind, you have to enable custom characters for it to work, even for Mii fighters.

#rotomforsmash5

With its new found popularity and importance in the series, and its potentially amazing moveset of swapping between appliances, let's do this. Rotom went from a above average semi-popular Pokemon, to being a potential mascot for a new generation and a Pokemon 100% of people will interact with and know about.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
tumblr_o6kratVWgP1u1y91co1_1280.png
omegamodecomic.tumblr.com

PK Gaming

#rotomforsmash5

With its new found popularity and importance in the series, and its potentially amazing moveset of swapping between appliances, let's do this. Rotom went from a above average semi-popular Pokemon, to being a potential mascot for a new generation and a Pokemon 100% of people will interact with and know about.

Sakurai doesn't seem like a Rotom type of guy

Now Mega Gallade? Yeah I could see it fitting nicely into Smash Bros

jnWake

So, ZeRo lost today to Larry Lurr in Grand Finals of 2GG Mexico Saga. Tournament was pretty fun with some surprising results, mainly the Olimar/Duck Hunt player ImHip getting 5th place and, of course, Larry beating ZeRo in GF (winning two sets from Losers' side).

Smash 4 tourneys are getting very exciting now that more people are showing that ZeRo is beatable.

I sadly wouldn't be surprised if Smash 4 starts to die off in the FGC in a few years while Melee still goes strong.

Smash 4 gets more entrants than Melee at 99% of FGC tournaments, both big and small. If anything Smash 4 is the one that has staying power in the FGC.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
New comic just went up today! :D

I want to remind everyone to subscribe the thread before it get moved to community forum.

Please subscribe to this thread as it will eventually be moved to the Community Forum after 30-31 days. Click on the button (either way) to sub this thread.

#rotomforsmash5

I'm still unsure about it's chance. If we actually get any new contents for Smash NX, I still think that we might get brand new pokemon from Pokemon Sun and Moon.. Well, I would be totally okay if they decide to add Sceptile to the roster. :p

So, ZeRo lost today to Larry Lurr in Grand Finals of 2GG Mexico Saga. Tournament was pretty fun with some surprising results, mainly the Olimar/Duck Hunt player ImHip getting 5th place and, of course, Larry beating ZeRo in GF (winning two sets from Losers' side).

Smash 4 tourneys are getting very exciting now that more people are showing that ZeRo is beatable.

That's awesome to hear that Duck Hunt is doing very well in the tourney but I presume that Olimar probably carry Duck Hunt to there? :p

The image Heath posted, which didn't show in my post for some reason. Plus the Twitter posts I've been seeing as of late.

EDIT: Fixed the post.

I figured that was probably part of it, but I still don't understand why you posted it. Female Corrin seems to be the popular choice in some circles. What difference does it make which one is the default?

Neoxon

I figured that was probably part of it, but I still don't understand why you posted it. Female Corrin seems to be the popular choice in some circles. What difference does it make which one is the default?
The default one gets the Amiibo, & quite a few aren't happy that Female Corrin is probably being left in the cold. We only got two R.O.B.s because we had different defaults depending on the region (Famicom Red in Japan, NES Gray everywhere else).

The default one gets the Amiibo, & quite a few aren't happy that Female Corrin is probably being left in the cold. We only got two R.O.B.s because we had different defaults depending on the region (Famicom Red in Japan, NES Gray everywhere else).

I guess we'll see, but I kind of feel like you're manufacturing a controversy that doesn't exist. Mind you, my personal stance of not giving a shit about Amiibos may be blinding me to the incoming storm, so maybe I'm wrong on this one.

Neoxon

I guess we'll see, but I kind of feel like you're manufacturing a controversy that doesn't exist. Mind you, my personal stance of not giving a shit about Amiibos may be blinding me to the incoming storm, so maybe I'm wrong on this one.
I mean, from looking at Twitter, Etika seemed to have stirred up the most outcry via his followers. Hopefully it just blows over & people will just resort to customs for their Female Corrin Amiibo fix. But looking at how most of the Smash community gravitated towards Female Corrin (more so than Female Robin), there is cause for concern.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I mean, from looking at Twitter, Etika seemed to have stirred up the most outcry via his followers. Hopefully it just blows over & people will just resort to customs for their Female Corrin Amiibo fix. But looking at how most of the Smash community gravitated towards Female Corrin (more so than Female Robin), there is cause for concern.

I found your obsession with the situation very unsettling. Mind you, it's not your exactly first time that you spoke about this situation. It's up to artists and fans to do whatever they wants with their comic and fan arts. So take it easy and don't ruin it for other people please.

Added a bit more to my guide (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1elmadxnV_jiL0A6yrfC4682PDhf3E-fmbQL8wXrnVg0/edit?usp=sharing) to cover Sm4shExplorer and Sm4shMusic. If you think I need to go into more details/be clearer please do tell.

I was about to update on my progress but apparently rumblings of a *5.6.0 update are just coming out so I guess I'll have to hold off again. Last I left off, I was wrapping my head around SDCafiine/kernel/Xampp (as, how exactly they work) and the numerous problems of Sm4shExplorer (compiling works fine but nothing is in the sound folder, won't save directly to the SD card properly). Don't know how much of that you can cover in your guide, though.

*I can't find an official source for this but numerous Wii U hackers are going on Twitter about it.

PK Gaming

Wow, a lot of people are just pretending that Male Corrin isn't the default. I guess there's gonna be a bit of backlash once we see the Amiibo.

We get it, you hate the fact that female Corrin is popular despite not being the default.

Your insistence on people refer to Corrin with male pronouns was already incredibly obnoxious, and now you're calling out artists who use female Corrin over the male one?

Stop concern trolling.

Custom amiibo mods are a thing though. I get the feeling they will throw minor alt versions of Smash amiibos like FemRobin and MaleFitTrainer once NX version drops.

I preffer Male Robin (white mage Robin) and Male Corrin, while I preffer green female villager (not the dopey one) and when it comes to WFT I go opposite gender of the last character I picked.

People should stop making a big deal and wait for ninty to do their thing.

Female Corrin is lame but who cares what Corrin the comic decided to draw or which people prefer?

But talk about Amiibos--are there any more worthless Amiibos than those of Roy and Ryu right now? They haven't even bothered to add them in Super Mario Maker. I really hope they add Cloud to Super Mario Maker but I'm not holding my breath. I just kind of want to hear FFVII sound effects and music in a Mario game.

NeonZ

The Roy situation is really odd too. Before that IS had added relatively big Amiibo support to their games, with the Amiibo making the characters fully playable in Codename STEAM and Fire Emblem Fates. I think the only kind of specific support the Roy Amiibo has so far is in the new Kirby game (where it gives the generic sword power) and Ryu is just a random power there, alongside the other 3rd party characters.

Wow, a lot of people are just pretending that Male Corrin isn't the default. I guess there's gonna be a bit of backlash once we see the Amiibo.

Well, shouldn't Nintendo expect the backlash if they're going against the popular choice? Female Corrin was the most popular female Fates character in Japan, while Male Corrin was only top 5. IS itself noticed that and included female Corrin in basically every Fates related marketing material after the poll, even though initially she only appeared in Conquest specific artwork.

Female Corrin also seems more popular in Smash itself. If Nintendo and Bandai Namco don't adapt, it's their own fault.

Well, shouldn't Nintendo expect the backlash if they're going against the popular choice? Female Corrin was the most popular female Fates character in Japan, while Male Corrin was only top 5. IS itself noticed that and included female Corrin in basically every Fates related marketing material after the poll, even though initially she only appeared in Conquest specific artwork.

Female Corrin also seems more popular in Smash itself. If Nintendo and Bandai Namco don't adapt, it's their own fault.

So what you're saying is, female corrin can be a special edition limited print run amiibo bundled to sell Fates Complete Edition one day and people with pay through the nose!

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Does it really matter what gender the Robins or Corrin's are referred to? Many people who played their games tend to identify more with the gender they choose during their play through.

I don't see why that should be "cause for concern".

Custom amiibo mods are a thing though. I get the feeling they will throw minor alt versions of Smash amiibos like FemRobin and MaleFitTrainer once NX version drops.

I preffer Male Robin (white mage Robin) and Male Corrin, while I preffer green female villager (not the dopey one) and when it comes to WFT I go opposite gender of the last character I picked.

People should stop making a big deal and wait for ninty to do their thing.

Same.

I have always liked male Robin. I used to prefer the female Corrin but I got used to the male version lately. I still like them both for their star ko alone lol

And I too think that it is very possible for Nintendo to release amiibos for the female alts and male WFT.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
To be fair, Nintendo just saying they are going to show more than Zelda at E3 made some Nintendo fans angry so who knows what will cause them to storm Nintendo of America's headquarter with picket signs in tow. It's going to be a nasty day on the Internet when Male Inkling turns out to be the default in Smash 5.

Tripon

We get it, you hate the fact that female Corrin is popular despite not being the default.

Your insistence on people refer to Corrin with male pronouns was already incredibly obnoxious, and now you're calling out artists who use female Corrin over the male one?

Stop concern trolling.
Wait. This is a real thing? That's hilarious on some level and sad on another.

Daouzin

Smash 4 gets more entrants than Melee at 99% of FGC tournaments, both big and small. If anything Smash 4 is the one that has staying power in the FGC.

Yeah, after the EVO news, I think it's safe to say that Smash 4 will continue to thrive in the same way that Street Fighter V will thrive and other successful FGC games will thrive. I think Melee is in a strange space though where it doesn't need FGC events. Melee will continue to be played for another 10 years or so, while I imagine Smash 4 will stop being played when the next Smash comes out. Partly because at that point the FGC events will switch over to the latest Smash game.

EVO 2016 is the largest Smash tournament ever.
Of course this means the grand finals will be on at 9am on Saturday right before some generic anime fighter and this year's money hat fighting game. Because that's where the largest Smash tournament ever held should have its grand finals, not on prime time on Sunday, no siree, can't have that.

To be fair, Smash 4 never gets as much viewership as Melee. This isn't just true from previous EVOs, but if you look at tournament events. If they have both top Smash 4 players and Top Melee players at their event, Melee will sometimes get double the viewership that Smash 4 gets. I think that's a big proponent of it as well. I think EVO wants to brag about increased viewership and Melee viewership keeps growing, so that helps with that.

Also, for all we know, Nintendo may have requested it to advertise something. People tuning in for Smash 4 finals might be the audience they care to advertise to more.

PK Gaming

Wait. This is a real thing? That's hilarious on some level and sad on another.

Like, I don't actually care which gender you prefer though Green Mamba is objectively wrong of course, but trying to imply that one gender is somehow more valid than the other just because they're the default?

No

Thankfully, it's very clear that nobody really subscribes to that thought terminating garbage. Basically, if you're tired of seeing people prefer female Corrin over the Male one in Smash Bros or general fanart then...

Too Bad

Hold that salt.

jnWake

That's awesome to hear that Duck Hunt is doing very well in the tourney but I presume that Olimar probably carry Duck Hunt to there? :p

Olimar was indeed the main one but I believe the player used Duck Hunt to play against Sheik (or some other top tier) so it was important too!

Does it really matter what gender the Robins or Corrin's are referred to? Many people who played their games tend to identify more with the gender they choose during their play through.

I don't see why that should be "cause for concern".

It isn't, it's just Neoxon things. He/she (whatever gender default Neoxon has) enjoys repeating his opinion about stuff several times so it makes it seem more important than it actualy is.

jph139

Who gives a shit which gender is the default when we have both

It's not like there's a canon Corrin anyway

I mean, it is kind of important. Like - all of the CGI trailers used the defaults, the defaults get made into amiibo, so on, so forth. It's a fairly minor point - including both is going 90% of the way there - but there's always room to improve with representation.

Really, Smash 4 added more female characters than the last three entries combined, so it deserves a lot of praise for that.

People still did a ton of fan art of female Robin despite the male one being the default. I don't think people give too much of a shit as long as the options still there.

Not like the Koopalings or Wario's/Bayo's/Cloud's alts are getting their own amiibo's either.

1) let people like the version of a character they like and stop concern trolling/being a genuine jerk about it

2) Smash 4 is not going to disappear at tournaments within "a few years" holy shit lol

Top Bottom