• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Zebei

RIP mii players. Good luck. They'll need it.

"The poll is basically tied within the margin (+/-5%)"

Am I looking at the wrong poll? Because the one I see is 54% yes to 46% no. A lot more than just .5% :/

EDIT wait was this poll less than a day long a month before the event?

lol. I think the people saying this was just a publicity thing may be right.

udivision

Perhaps if we didn't ban their entire point as characters, people would play them.

And if Sakurai didn't ban Mii's from what is possibly the most popular online mode, most of us normal peeps would play them more too.

It's like a crazy chain of events/decisions that effectively reduced the roster of the game by 3.

PK Gaming

Mii custom moves never should have been banned since they're still usable with when Custom Mode is turned off. However...

I wouldn't want them to be allowed at this year's Evo, since it isn't fair to the people who haven't been able to practice against custom miis.

I think its kinda late to vote for them, this should of been done months ago when the game was confirmed for EVO.

I would be up for Mii customs, I actually like Mii's! Adds a lot of variety, but its true that it would be unfair to people who never had experience vs the match up to fight them in such short notice.

How do other fighting game tournaments deal with custom characters?

Miis are a weird situation though. They're not really custom characters. They're a blurry line between a regular character on the roster and a custom character.

I don't think other games allow custom characters at all in most tournaments, but the spirit of Miis in Smash are as three separate fighters with unique customization gimmicks, not full on custom characters.

I hope custom moves don't return in the next Smash and instead they use those resources for other things. We could do with some more interesting gametypes that aren't simple coin, timed and stock matches.

How about a gametype where each stock is a different character? How about King of the Hill where the Hill moves to a different spot on the stage every x seconds? And what about the matchmaking playlists, how about some toggles to set what we want to search for, like omega for glory or a list of stages you opt into? How about letting us party up with an online friend to search for 2 randoms with the settings we toggle, like 2v2 stock with team attack on?

It's mind boggling how limited this game is, and I really hope the next game steps it up. There are so many improvements they can make that don't involve just adding new characters, stages and boring offline/single player modes that no one plays.

How about a gametype where each stock is a different character?

That exists in Smash Tour.

Wonder when modders will figure out how to get it work in multiplayer like Project M's All-Star Versus mode.

You can get those things without screwing over people that like customs, why do you want that?

I think the overall problem with custom moves is that you can never really get anything satisfactory out of developing them. What I mean is, they can't go ahead and give ALL 58 characters 12 unique specials each because that'd be a total development nightmare (that'd amount to over 600 fully original and unique moves you'd have to design, balance, animate, etc), but ultimately we just ended up with mostly cheap and tacky variations that had little to no thought put into them. It's just too much work needed for a game like Smash. Quite frankly the only reason I turn them on is just to play with Palutena's customs, which are, like, actual proper moves that are also generally superior to her bland default specials. If it weren't for that, I would never bother with customs.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
How about a gametype where each stock is a different character? How about King of the Hill where the Hill moves to a different spot on the stage every x seconds? And what about the matchmaking playlists, how about some toggles to set what we want to search for, like omega for glory or a list of stages you opt into? How about letting us party up with an online friend to search for 2 randoms with the settings we toggle, like 2v2 stock with team attack on?

There is a mode where you could play different characters based on the stocks but unfortunately it got locked behind Smash Tour. I would love to have that mode available right away without forcing us to do Smash Tour.

I was so disappointed that I couldn't team up with my friend online for 2 vs. 2 (for Glory). Also they didn't even allow us to have three players on one console vs one friend online as well, since it actually works for Brawl but why they didn't do it for Smash U.

Yeah, maybe I'll get the homebrew going if that All-Star mode ever becomes a thing. Speaking of which, how safe is that anyway? Anything to worry with regards to playing online?
You can get those things without screwing over people that like customs, why do you want that?
It's just how much time must go into creating/balancing those customs that I don't think it's worth it for future entries. Time better spent doing other things imo.

In all honesty, I don't get the appeal of the "one character for every stock" concept. And I play most of those "boring" offline modes all the time.

There could be some new multiplayer modes, I suppose, but I love 8-Player Smash so much that I don't really nind.

Awesome, I'll check these out. Thanks :]
In all honesty, I don't get the appeal of the "one character for every stock" concept. And I play most of those "boring" offline modes all the time.

There could be some new multiplayer modes, I suppose, but I love 8-Player Smash so much that I don't really nind.
8 player Smash is fine as that's just an increase to the player count, but let's be honest.. The large majority of Smashers probably don't give a damn about Smash Tour. And I'm not saying offline modes are inherently boring, just that I'd like something with more legs and options, like being able to play Smash Run online, etc.

As for the All-Star mode, I'd love it because I use a lot of characters. Rotating between them mid match is exciting.

8 player Smash is fine as that's just an increase to the player count, but let's be honest.. The large majority of Smashers probably don't give a damn about Smash Tour. And I'm not saying offline modes are inherently boring, just that I'd like something with more legs and options, like being able to play Smash Run online, etc.

As for the All-Star mode, I'd love it because I use a lot of characters. Rotating between them mid match is exciting.

And they don't, although I personally don't think it's as terrible as many make it out to be.

If anything, I kinda like how in Smash Tour you have to earn those characters for the end match, so I'd be more interested in how they could translate that to a compelling solo mode. But that's just me.

Personally, I want them to expand on Smash Run. Nearly two years on and I'm still addicted to that shit. An options menu, all players on the battlefield and online would go a long way.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I prefer Smash Tour to Smash Run since my favourite bit of Smash Run was the random match with random rules at the end. Smash Tour is just a lot of those back to back.

How do other fighting game tournaments deal with custom characters?

They don't. The only one that did was Dissidia, and that had the benefit of being able to have proper loadouts for all of your characters that you could switch on the fly between matches. SFxT was the only one that came close, and even that was half-assed by having a generic default loadout implemented in the overhaul update.

PK Gaming

Finally got around to playing Olimar in...2-3 years(?), and wow this character poorly designed.

He's a step up from Brawl where he was easily one of the worst designed characters in Smash, but he's still pretty bad.

Finally got around to playing Olimar in...2-3 years(?), and wow this character poorly designed.

He's a step up from Brawl where he was easily one of the worst designed characters in Smash, but he's still pretty bad.

What do you mean? I thought he was considered ok in Smash 4.

random25

Olimar is ridiculously good. His only bad move is probably his vulnerable recovery but other than that his moves are pretty strong, especially with a very good management of Pikmin.

My main complaint about Olimar is how few Pikmin he has. I know why it was changed but I'm hoping in the future he can go back to having a few more of them.

Oilmar is one of the best designed characters in the series. He perfectly represents his home game with a move set that is basically the best translation of his RTS origins as you could possibly get.

I wonder if Sakurai will end up making Alph a semi-clone in Smash 5 / NX / 4-Remake / Whatever & Knuckles?

Revert Olimar back to his Brawl status of 6 randomized order Pikmin with the chain recovery, and keep Alph the way he is with his 3 set cycled Pikmin and Winged Pikmin recovery, with some added things like Rock Pikmin to differentiate the two.

Then add a Louie alt to Olimar and a Charlie/Brittany alt to Alph so we can have more playable Pikmin captains.

FSLink

Banned
I wonder if Sakurai will end up making Alph a semi-clone in Smash 5 / NX / 4-Remake / Whatever & Knuckles?

Revert Olimar back to his Brawl status of 6 randomized order Pikmin with the chain recovery, and keep Alph the way he is with his 3 set cycled Pikmin and Winged Pikmin recovery, with some added things like Rock Pikmin to differentiate the two.

Then add a Louie alt to Olimar and a Charlie/Brittany alt to Alph so we can have more playable Pikmin captains.

Pretty likely considering Alph was supposed to be a clone with Rock Pikmin in Smash 4 but was likely scrapped for time.

Played for glory after months of not touching this game. I've still got this. Won just about every game till I stumbled upon god damn clouds. As Rosalina I couldn't handle them, but pulling out Zelda worked like a charm. I could spam Farore's all day onto their charging moves, and retaliate with neutral b when they land out of their aerials. Still a pain in the ass, though.

ETA: who destroys Cloud? I need my anti-cloud.

Alph was planned early on to be in the game too, so he probably would have been more like Lucas or Brawl Falco, instead of like the last minute clones.

Pretty sad what ended up being Alph's fate

tumblr_me11r3DFK41qihnms.gif

PK Gaming

Olimar is ridiculously good. His only bad move is probably his vulnerable recovery but other than that his moves are pretty strong, especially with a very good management of Pikmin.

He's definitely not a character i'd call "ridiculously good", but yeah he's pretty strong (arguably even underrated, imo). I just meant terms of actual design, he's bad. Unfun to play against and (imo) unfun to use.

Oilmar is one of the best designed characters in the series. He perfectly represents his home game with a move set that is basically the best translation of his RTS origins as you could possibly get.

Olimar might be faithful to Pikmin, but that doesn't preclude him from being an awful fighting game character. Ultra campy character with obnoxious, game slowing moves like Pikmin toss and his aerials. Again, it beats Brawl where he was borderline broken in design with so much dumb stuff, and I am extremely glad his Pikmin count was lowered, but he's still just... blegh.

I'll agree that Olimar is a strong representation of Pikmin, but boy do I dislike both playing as him or fighting him.
Put me with PK here.

random25

He's definitely not a character i'd call "ridiculously good", but yeah he's pretty strong (arguably even underrated, imo). I just meant terms of actual design, he's bad. Unfun to play against and (imo) unfun to use.

Well that's how he can be best represented as a Pikmin franchise character while fitting in a fighting game like Smash. Unless Sakurai decided to invent movesets for him that will be totally be unrelated to how he is in actual Pikmin games to make him "more fun".

Hopefully we'll get Brittany in the next game where the moveset involves using Pikmin like clubs and throwing fruit juice to satisfy my more conventional moveset needs.

PK Gaming

Well that's how he can be best represented as a Pikmin franchise character while fitting in a fighting game like Smash. Unless Sakurai decided to invent movesets for him that will be totally be unrelated to how he is in actual Pikmin games to make him "more fun".

There's nothing much they can do, I agree. He just doesn't translate well into Smash Bros.

Hopefully we'll get Brittany in the next game where the moveset involves using Pikmin like clubs and throwing fruit juice to satisfy my more conventional moveset needs.

I'll never forgive the Smash team for passing up on Louie, Brittany and Charley for the extremely bland, extremely basic character that is Alph.

Oidisco

Played for glory after months of not touching this game. I've still got this. Won just about every game till I stumbled upon god damn clouds. As Rosalina I couldn't handle them, but pulling out Zelda worked like a charm. I could spam Farore's all day onto their charging moves, and retaliate with neutral b when they land out of their aerials. Still a pain in the ass, though.

ETA: who destroys Cloud? I need my anti-cloud.

If you're able to spam up-b against a Cloud then they are not good Cloud players, seeing as he can instantly cancel the charge.

Also I don't think any character outright destroys Cloud. His comeback factor is just too strong for that, but I do think Pikachu wins the matchup. He can gimp Clouds recovery better than pretty much any other character in the game and he doesn't really get juggled by up-airs.

At Launch on the 3DS, Olimar was basically unplayable. His Pikmin would just decide they didn't want to live anymore and wander off a cliff or just refuse to do anything

Top Bottom