• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

I did a little something, I took that one roster prediction I made awhile ago, and, through the power of modding, basically put it into the actual game to see how it looked like.

YS2mbdDh.jpg

Looks good, I say (besides the lines everywhere and Mario showing up in the Mii Fighters slot oops). The general shape looks more in line with the OG CSS of yore.

super_smash_bros_wii_u_full_roster_by_rc20-d88520j.jpg

For me, the order of the Pokemon on the CSS no matter what isn't going to make sense

Added to Smash order?
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Charizard, Lucario, Greninja

Mewtwo before Charizard seems weird in this order. Charizard bookending the Gen I Pokemon doesn't make sense beyond him being added after Mewtwo in the Smash games.

Pokemon order?
Charizard, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Lucario, Greninja

Pikachu not being first for Pokemon is bad

Smash 4 trophy order

Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Greninja, Mewtwo

What in the world? Gets all messed up because of Brawl Jigglypuff being a last minute addition and Mewtwo being DLC. It makes no sense at all. Seriously, there is no logical order to any of this beyond internal character index, which nobody really cares about.

"Feels right" order
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Charizard, Mewtwo, Lucario, Greninja

Not really in any logical order, but it's the order that "feels" the best to me. It's sort of a mix of Smash order and Pokemon number order, only Charizard and Mewtwo are swapped from Smash game order, but it "feels" better having Mewtwo after Charizard. Everyone being lumped into generations is nice as well.

Then you throw Pichu in the mix for whatever reason, and things get super wacky because Pichu should be next to Pikachu. Or maybe between Mewtwo and Lucario in the "feels right" order. Actually that maybe would work

kewlmyc

Character wise, I've gotten to a point where I don't really want anybody

I mean, K Rool and Dixie Kong would be neat for the fam, but I am preeeetty content on that front

Same here. Inklings would be nice since I feel they deserve it at this point, and a few more buffs would be nice, but I'm content for the most part.

I'd be pretty happy if they added inklings :D

It's funny but the second last character they added (Corrin, specifically female Corrin) has easily been my favourite addition and the first one I've felt moderately 'at home' with. It's kind of amusing that with such a huge roster it took right up to final DLC for me to finally get someone I clicked with, even if it was never someone I actively asked for XD
Lucy, Robin and Zelda will always be cool in my book though, even if weren't quite what I apparently 'needed' to feel fully at ease :p

...going off the deep end though, I wouldn't complain if Ashley and/or Braixen made a playable appearance in NX as well ;D (I know, I know, not happening and I'd be happy just to get inkling but the hype train never stops)

Sakurai doesn't seem too keen on adding Japan only characters, unfortunately.

We did get Marth and Roy in Melee and Lucas in Brawl but they all got in out of luck basically. Marth and Roy were originally planned to be cut from Melee's US/PAL release and apparently Lucas got in Brawl only because Sakurai didn't know that Mother 3 was meant to be JP only. Then we saw Takamaru being excluded because Sakurai felt he didn't have enough popularity worldwide, so yeah.

But, technically Mysterious Murasame Castle has been released outside of Japan since then through the Virtual Console, so hmmm.

Sakurai doesn't seem too keen on adding Japan only characters, unfortunately.

We did get Marth and Roy in Melee and Lucas in Brawl but they all got in out of luck basically. Marth and Roy were originally planned to be cut from Melee's US/PAL release and apparently Lucas got in Brawl only because Sakurai didn't know that Mother 3 was meant to be JP only. Then we saw Takamaru being excluded because Sakurai felt he didn't have enough popularity worldwide, so yeah.

But, technically Mysterious Murasame Castle has been released outside of Japan since then through the Virtual Console, so hmmm.
Yea, Takamaru would be fine now, as he has a game released outside of Japan now.

I actually expect Takamaru to be the next "surprise NES character" like every game seemed to have (except 64). Sakurai seems to like him as well and he'd certainly be a unique character.

If 4NX adds new characters, though, I don't expect Taka to be one. I think he'd be saved for a proper sequel.

Javier

I don't know what was planned for the Chorus Kids (assuming they were even planned), but if Sakurai wants a Rhythm Heaven character, I think a better choice would be to include someone like Tibby who uses various characters and items from the RH series as part of his moveset (Karate Joe for Down+B, See-Saw for Up+B, Clappy Trio for Up+Smash, stuff like that).

Neoxon

For me, the order of the Pokemon on the CSS no matter what isn't going to make sense

Added to Smash order?

Mewtwo before Charizard seems weird in this order. Charizard bookending the Gen I Pokemon doesn't make sense beyond him being added after Mewtwo in the Smash games.

Pokemon order?
Charizard, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Lucario, Greninja

Pikachu not being first for Pokemon is bad

Smash 4 trophy order

Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Greninja, Mewtwo

What in the world? Gets all messed up because of Brawl Jigglypuff being a last minute addition and Mewtwo being DLC. It makes no sense at all. Seriously, there is no logical order to any of this beyond internal character index, which nobody really cares about.

"Feels right" order
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Charizard, Mewtwo, Lucario, Greninja

Not really in any logical order, but it's the order that "feels" the best to me. It's sort of a mix of Smash order and Pokemon number order, only Charizard and Mewtwo are swapped from Smash game order, but it "feels" better having Mewtwo after Charizard. Everyone being lumped into generations is nice as well.

Then you throw Pichu in the mix for whatever reason, and things get super wacky because Pichu should be next to Pikachu. Or maybe between Mewtwo and Lucario in the "feels right" order. Actually that maybe would work
Or just have them in Smash introduction order.

Or just have them in Smash introduction order.

I noted that in the post.

I think it looks weird to have Mewtwo before Charizard. Charizard should be as close to the front as possible. He appears early in the Pokedex, and he's one of the most popular Pokemon in the series. As much as I love Mewtwo, I'm not going to pretend he's more well known or popular as Charizard.

A lot of fan made FE orders also put Roy in weird places. It should be Marth/Roy/Ike/Robin/Lucina/Corrin. Although Marth/Ike/Roy/Robin/Lucina/Corrin wouldn't be bad either, even if it doesn't really make much sense (other than Marth and Ike have been a pair of FE dudes longer than Marth and Roy).

jph139

Really, it should be Pokemon Number order, just with Pikachu pulled to the front by virtue of being Pikachu.

Pikachu - Charizard - Jigglypuff - Mewtwo - Lucario - Greninja

omg
I don't know what was planned for the Chorus Kids (assuming they were even planned), but if Sakurai wants a Rhythm Heaven character, I think a better choice would be to include someone like Tibby who uses various characters and items from the RH series as part of his moveset (Karate Joe for Down+B, See-Saw for Up+B, Clappy Trio for Up+Smash, stuff like that).

See, this guy gets it. Fuck Chorus Kids, I want every rhythm heaven repped in one character rather than some garbage kids from some garbage minigame (with an admittedly not garbage tune).

Ahnez

It's funny but the second last character they added (Corrin, specifically female Corrin) has easily been my favourite addition and the first one I've felt moderately 'at home' with. It's kind of amusing that with such a huge roster it took right up to final DLC for me to finally get someone I clicked with, even if it was never someone I actively asked for XD
Lucy, Robin and Zelda will always be cool in my book though, even if weren't quite what I apparently 'needed' to feel fully at ease :p

...going off the deep end though, I wouldn't complain if Ashley and/or Braixen made a playable appearance in NX as well ;D (I know, I know, not happening and I'd be happy just to get inkling but the hype train never stops)

It was the same with me - also with Corrin

.. Interesting.. hm

Really, it should be Pokemon Number order, just with Pikachu pulled to the front by virtue of being Pikachu.

Pikachu - Charizard - Jigglypuff - Mewtwo - Location - Greninja
Yea, this would work just fine. Imagine if everyone came back how weird it would look though.

Pikachu - Ivysaur - Charizard - Squirtle - Jigglypuff - Mewtwo - Pichu - Lucario - Greninja

That's a lot of Gen I! Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon being all jumbled up would look kind of weird.

Also Location is my favorite Pokemon. People tend to forget he's in Smash Bros.

It's funny but the second last character they added (Corrin, specifically female Corrin)

Did you know that female Corrin is not the canon version of Corrin and you are going to be sooooo disappointed when the Corrin amiibo comes out and I don't want you to be disappointed so I just feel the need to tell you over and over and over that female Corrin isn't canon so you should give up hope of it ever being canon now

Yeah, I always thought Chorus Kids would be a boring inclusion (aesthetically and representationally) for such a wildly wacky and wonderful series. Your idea, working in a bunch of games/characters in one, would be waaaaaayy better IMO.

I think Chorus Kids are perfect. They have a wacky dynamic and a simple, cute design. And their moveset can still incorporate other characters/aspects of RH, while also incorporating moves based around rhythm (maybe, that bit is still tricky).

Pleeeeeease let them see the light of day, partially for the RH stage that will come along with them.

I kinda like the idea of the Chorus Kids over somebody like Karate Joe or the Wrestling guy because they fit the whole musical motif of the series better.

It's like how with Wii Fit, WFT isn't exactly the game's host, it's actually a living fitness board. It's just that Wii Fit Trainer makes much more sense as a representative for those games.

FSLink

Banned
I think Chorus Kids are perfect. They have a wacky dynamic and a simple, cute design. And their moveset can still incorporate other characters/aspects of RH, while also incorporating moves based around rhythm (maybe, that bit is still tricky).

Pleeeeeease let them see the light of day, partially for the RH stage that will come along with them.
Yeah, what the hell guys? I always imagined Chorus Kids to incorporate other RH characters and minigames into their moveset. Chorus Kids would likely not just shout as their only move lmao. They're also cute and definitely one of the more iconic characters. You could still have them summon like Karate Joe for their side smash or whatever as it would make no sense to make their moveset so limited.

woopWOOP

I pretty much figured that would happen if they'd actually use Chorus Kids, which I still believe would actually meant that Wii version mascot lookalike. Just G&W 'm up by cramming all sorts of references in his moveset and you're golden.
I guess the new purple kid on the block would work just as well.

Part of me hopes we'll get another rep from an Intelligent Systems franchise some day.
A smaller part of me hopes it'll be Codename's S.T.E.A.M.'s Henry with a boxing glove gun and banana peel launcher.

I'm probably gonna have to be content with that Mii Gunner I got off the net.

Yep, I thought he had me and felt a huge wave of relief when not only I survived, but I got the winning bair on him.
I'll copy CRQ and post shamelessly post one of my replays here, it features fellow SmashGaffer Juni.

The SmashGAF folks are kind enough to let me play the way I enjoy, with customs, so most of my replays in my channel feature them, in case you're curious about how to play Custom Kirby (poorly).

Heh, to add on to this you guys shouldn't be afraid of asking to play with us. We're not always active these days but because of that we make an effort to accommodate whoever is looking to play.

Hopefully we can restart
WEEKEND DUBS LOOKING AT YOU TIPSTER

It was the same with me - also with Corrin

.. Interesting.. hm
Based on that and our similarities in pokemon preferences, I'm starting to think you and I share the same excellent sense of taste :3

Did you know that female Corrin is not the canon version of Corrin and you are going to be sooooo disappointed when the Corrin amiibo comes out and I don't want you to be disappointed so I just feel the need to tell you over and over and over that female Corrin isn't canon so you should give up hope of it ever being canon now
XXpax.jpg

Ahnez

In the end, we never got new ATs/Pokeball mons.

I know, its much harder to sell them compared to characters/stages, but maybe they could have added them for free or something? I don't think they are expensive to develop..

.. Maybe I got a little spoiled by Splatoon constant updates.. :p

Based on that and our similarities in pokemon preferences, I'm starting to think you and I share the same excellent sense of taste :3

<3

I'm disappointed at how many Gen 4 Pokemon died in Smash 4 to be replaced with a cocoon and slurpuff.

Brawl was excellent with Gen 4 representation. The "big" Pokemon was playable with Lucario, and the main three Pokemon used in early marketing, Bonsly, Munchlax and Weavile, we Pokeballs. It was perfect. Throw in Smash 4's Palkia, Giratina and Abomasnow, and it would have been excellent.

Wobbuffet is also missed. And a really strange cut. And I think Koffing and Hitmonlee were going to come back too, but were cut.

Continuing in the theme of "complaining about small details that don't really matter", something that's always bothered me about Pit in this game is that his proportions with Palutena have always been rather off.

What I mean is, here's a pic of both of them in Uprising.

pit_and_palutena_by_isaac77598-d67wgb6.jpg

As you can see, their foreheads are roughly the same size as each other. In Smash 4, however...

N8arYZFh.jpg

Pit's head is like, twice the size of Palutena's, lol.

PK Gaming

Continuing in the theme of "complaining about small details that don't really matter", something that's always bothered me about Pit in this game is that his proportions with Palutena have always been rather off.

What I mean is, here's a pic of both of them in Uprising.

pit_and_palutena_by_isaac77598-d67wgb6.jpg

As you can see, their foreheads are roughly the same size as each other. In Smash 4, however...

N8arYZFh.jpg

Pit's head is like, twice the size of Palutena's, lol.

Pit's proportions in Smash 4 in generally are totally off.

Just compare him to any of the other human characters. He's cartoonishly bigger.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm disappointed at how many Gen 4 Pokemon died in Smash 4 to be replaced with a cocoon and slurpuff.

Brawl was excellent with Gen 4 representation. The "big" Pokemon was playable with Lucario, and the main three Pokemon used in early marketing, Bonsly, Munchlax and Weavile, we Pokeballs. It was perfect. Throw in Smash 4's Palkia, Giratina and Abomasnow, and it would have been excellent.

Wobbuffet is also missed. And a really strange cut. And I think Koffing and Hitmonlee were going to come back too, but were cut.

Brawl mons were shit

I fucking hate Munchlax with passion.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Add snake in there and you have a winning combo. Day zero for me if so.

Only if...

YS2mbdDh.jpg

Looks good, I say (besides the lines everywhere and Mario showing up in the Mii Fighters slot oops). The general shape looks more in line with the OG CSS of yore.

Look like it could works if you just add one more column which is like 5 more characters but not that I would expect 9 characters tho.

Yea, Takamaru would be fine now, as he has a game released outside of Japan now.

I actually expect Takamaru to be the next "surprise NES character" like every game seemed to have (except 64). Sakurai seems to like him as well and he'd certainly be a unique character.

If 4NX adds new characters, though, I don't expect Taka to be one. I think he'd be saved for a proper sequel.

There is no such thing for "saved characters." If he want the character to be in the game then they would be included.

Stunfisk was the worst case of missed potential. It's a trap Pokémon!

Indeed. It would be a great trap.

Brawl mons were shit

I fucking hate Munchlax with passion.

But what about Manaphy?

Mensrea

Id really hope the next Smash has Dash Dancing. It's such an intuitive and amazing mechanic that makes movement so fluid. Its removal is so backwards.

Top Bottom