• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Nice

You did better than players like ESAM and MVD

i think they're both still in losers. he is currently doing exactly as well as them, which is 1 million times better than i have ever done at any tourney.

jeez i hope i can do a quarter as well as that at shine next month. good going, Link

FSLink

Banned
If I remember correctly it was heavily character based as well.

Yep.

Who are you maining? Congrats btw.

Thanks all.

Went Diddy/Cloud/Ness. Last year I went Duck Hunt and didn't make it out of pools.

Ended up being eliminated by a Vegas Pikachu named Terabyte. I haven't done the Pikachu matchup in forever so just got bopped. Oh well. I got two byes in loser's before the match with Terabyte so I think I placed pretty well.

My brother placed around the same, he's a Vegas Wario (McButt) who made it out of winner's (knocking Cyberman65 into loser's, sorry man), got sent to loser's by Hyuga, and lost to some Robin afterwards.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Nintendo UK rep: what level shall we play?
Me: Pac-Land!
Nintendo UK rep: are you a nutcase?
Me: ;__;

I didn't see the point of dash dancing itself but being able to change directions on a dime is preferable to how it is in Brawl and Smash 4, yeah.

Vena

There's going to be a real bad schism between Sm4sh and EVO next year from the looks of it. I am going to laugh if Melee somehow also manages to get dicked over by SFV's attempts to remain relevant with ESPN broadcasting.

It seems Marrs, Dabuz, Mr. R, and a growing list are just not going to go next year if it is run as it was this year.

There's going to be a real bad schism between Sm4sh and EVO next year from the looks of it. I am going to laugh if Melee somehow also manages to get dicked over by SFV's attempts to remain relevant with ESPN broadcasting.

It seems Marrs, Dabuz, Mr. R, and a growing list are just not going to go next year if it is run as it was this year.
Cool, more of a chance for me to win.

Neoxon

I'm guessing you aren't too big on SFV. Like it or not, it's gonna remain the biggest fighting game in the competitive scene. And unless either Nintendo throws money at the Smash games or Riot goes & throws their hat into the ring, that won't change.

That said, Melee has 4 hours to get through Grand Finals. If they somehow go overtime, then I'm not sure what to think.

Vena

I'm guessing you aren't too big on SFV. Like it or not, it's gonna remain the biggest fighting game in the competitive scene. And unless either Nintendo throws money at the Smash games or Riot goes & throws their hat into the ring, that won't change.

That said, Melee has 4 hours to get through Grand Finals. If they somehow go overtime, then I'm not sure what to think.

My statement on SFV was made in jest. That book closed months ago and this ESPN deal was probably made/started negotiations when someone thought the game was going to be more than it ended up being.

I want to see Melee run late just so that I can watch the world burn. :p

Neoxon

My statement on SFV was made in jest. That book closed months ago and this ESPN deal was probably made/started negotiations when someone thought the game was going to be more than it ended up being.

I want to see Melee run late just so that I can watch the world burn. :p
So you think it's gonna fall off the wayside next year? It's not like SFV bombed or anything, plus the game is doing big at tournaments.

And trust me, you don't want to see Melee run late.

Vena

So you think it's gonna fall off the wayside next year?

No. The FGC will play it and it will probably even grow if it doesn't remain static. Its the poster child too far too many in the community.

Unless Capcom doesn't somehow, out of sheer lunacy, nuke it, of course.

As for the edit... This isn't even a question in regards to fiscal success. It underperformed immensely and has showed zero longevity.

Neoxon

No. The FGC will play it and it will probably even grow if it doesn't remain static. Its the poster child too far too many in the community.

Unless Capcom doesn't somehow, out of sheer lunacy, nuke it, of course.

As for the edit... This isn't even a question in regards to fiscal success. It underperformed immensely and has showed zero longevity.
Zero longevity? Capcom already said that they're staying the course for long-term support. And it didn't miss their projection by that much (1.4 million as of March compared to their projected 2 million). It underperformed, yeah, but it isn't as bad as you're making it out to be.

As for the future of Smash 4, unless that NX port happens, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets phased out of EVO after what happened this year.

Neoxon

Top Smash 4 players aren't going to skip EVO next year. Not a chance. That will just make them look bad, not EVO.
Exactly. Boycotting EVO will hurt Smash 4 more than it'll hurt EVO. The last thing the game needs is to ditch EVO & die out like Brawl did. The game needs the exposure of EVO to maintain competitive awareness for the long-term.

Vena

Zero longevity? Capcom already said that they're staying the course for long-term support. And it didn't miss their projection by that much (1.4 million as of March compared to their projected 2 million). It underperformed, yeah, but it isn't as bad as you're making it out to be.

That's Capcom. The game's ability remain relevant to consumers is another matter from their dreams. Maybe they'll make it F2P, that would probably be smart... but given their recent DLC comedy, I'd say they are just more interested in making as much money as possible as they can off the dedicated players left.

Also it has had zero legs. Have you missed Cosmic's posts in the NPDs? He's even been making fun of the fact that the game basically fell of a cliff after the first month (where it didn't perform well). Let's not even get into Japan or PAL. The game has no legs.

But this is terribly OT. We can continue in PMs if you'd like.

Top Smash 4 players aren't going to skip EVO next year. Not a chance. That will just make them look bad, not EVO.

Time for Nintendo to host the NPT at the same time as EVO next year! Give Sm4sh and Melee large pot bonuses, and make the logo a huge middle finger. :p

As for the future of Smash 4, unless that NX port happens, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets phased out of EVO after what happened this year.

lol you know they channel stuffed the shit out of that 1.4 million right

And it didn't miss their projection by that much (1.4 million as of March compared to their projected 2 million). It underperformed, yeah, but it isn't as bad as you're making it out to be.

"Not as bad a failure as it could've been" is still a failure and there's no telling how much of that is sold-through VS shipped.

random25

LTTP, but great showing from Kameme! I won a mini bet by betting on him to get to GF, I believe in the power of the lemons. The true super fighting robot!

Why would EVO drop a game that had the 2nd biggest entrants this year and an increase from last year plus running it on a cheap despite the fact plus getting some sponsorship cash from Nintendo (dunno how big it is, but it's still money)? That's easy $$$ for EVO even if they don't know how to run Smash 4 tournaments properly, and will still be next year despite the fact.

Zubz

Banned
So Hungrybox won Melee.

Too bad his character will never be good in any new Smash game ever again

I mean, at least the Facebook page acknowledged him? Showing the US PR guy how important Jigglypuff is might somehow go all the way back to...

... She's going to be trash forever now, isn't she?

Daouzin

Did anyone see how high Smash stream numbers got? I was there in person so I checked after the first few games and it was like 140-150k. Isn't that like a 25-30% increase? Top 8 was just incredible. I'd like to think it hit 170k at least.

What happened with Hyuga?

He sexually harassed someone who was hosting him. I can't imagine he will keep his sponsorship and the police got involved so he might not be back in the states for some time.

Not sure how serious this is in terms of the law/international law.

Spy

It's been a long time since I played Smash Bros. on the Wii U. Have they done anything about the ridiculous invincibility frames after rolling? It's the one thing that always bugged me.

Top Bottom