• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Neoxon

You really think they can crank out "some characters" in a couple months and just invalidate the Wii U and 3DS versions

Now if they were to also be released for previous versions that would be fine, but then what was the point of the whole "this makes the end of development for Sm4sh for Wii U and 3DS"? Plus Nintendo aren't the kind of dudes who leave people in the dust regarding DLC, as we saw with Hyrule Warriors. They could have easily made it so Linkle and friends were 3DS exclusive and sold the same game twice for profit, but didn't.

Not being a Debbie Downer, I'm just being real.
To be fair, the Wii U is dead & the 3DS is on its way out. It's kinda different for a next gen platform than it would be for two platforms in the same generation (like what happened with Hyrule Warriors). If they're gonna add new content, I'm pretty sure it'd be NX-only content.

You really think they can crank out "some characters" in a couple months and just invalidate the Wii U and 3DS versions

Now if they were to also be released for previous versions that would be fine, but then what was the point of the whole "this makes the end of development for Sm4sh for Wii U and 3DS"? Plus Nintendo aren't the kind of dudes who leave people in the dust regarding DLC, as we saw with Hyrule Warriors. They could have easily made it so Linkle and friends were 3DS exclusive and sold the same game twice for profit, but didn't.

Yes? It's not like Nintendo are strangers to destroying the sales of last gen games with new gen releases. Twilight Princess GCN for example. Hyrule Warriors 3DS is a worse game than the Wii U, it's not really an enhanced remake or anything like that. I also wonder just how much the Wii U legends DLC is even selling.

But what exactly is the selling point of Smash 4 Wii U ported 100% to the NX with no additions?

PtM

Banned
If the NX port isn't going to be BC with WiiU, then they can just as well throw the 3DS stages in there and call it a day.
Yes? It's not like Nintendo are strangers to destroying the sales of last gen games with new gen releases. Twilight Princess GCN for example. Hyrule Warriors 3DS is a worse game than the Wii U, it's not really an enhanced remake or anything like that. I also wonder just how much the Wii U legends DLC is even selling.

But what exactly is the selling point of Smash 4 Wii U ported 100% to the NX with no additions?
It's Smash U not on a console you don't want.

I talked about this with Heath on the discord so I'm willing to post it here to prove I'm not a negative Nancy. :p

I'm so confident in my belief that we're not getting new content in a potential Sm4sh for NX that I'm willing to bet my avatar on it. I understand this is a gaf tradition, so I'd like to take part. :)

I think it'd be easier to make a list of remakes / remasters / special ports Nintendo has made that doesn't have anything new or interesting in terms of content.

Though I am curious, how long do people even think the process of porting over a Brawl veteran like Lucas, with only small certain changes like updated textures, changed sound effects to fit with Smash 4, and tweaked framedata / damage output / hitbox placement takes? Need we be reminded that Brawl and Smash Wii U run on similar enough engines that the porting process isn't all that taxing compared to Melee / Brawl.

Especially less time is needed if they decided to de-clone certain characters like Dr. Mario and Lucina a bit more, or finish up certain clones like Alph with the data they already have left over?

Man for glory one vs one was really laggy Saturday afternoon. I haven't been online in months but don't remember it being that bad in the past.

I'm really just expecting it to have most, if not all of the exclusive content from the 3DS version and that's it.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same thing for a Hyrule Warriors NX port.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I talked about this with Heath on the discord so I'm willing to post it here to prove I'm not a negative Nancy. :p

I'm so confident in my belief that we're not getting new content in a potential Sm4sh for NX that I'm willing to bet my avatar on it. I understand this is a gaf tradition, so I'd like to take part. :)

I would take that avatar bet. loser gotta to wear 2 weeks of the choice of avatar, only if it's clean. No lewd and disgusting avatar allowed.

The only reason I could imagine the NX version not having anything new would be because Nintendo is often seemingly comprised of a bunch of imbeciles who don't know their asses from their elbows.

Realistically I don't see them just selling the Wii U version again, because I can't see them just writing off the Wii U version's audience like that.

Daouzin

Dobut anyone would mind if customs were easier to get/already unlocked and could be switched on the fly like names for a potential nX port.

I think for everyone that cares, this is a good enough new feature.

Also, I think the Smash for the NX will be Melee HD.

Not that I don't think Melee HD will happen at some point, but there's no way they're going to leave Smash 4 on Wii U (that, and there's a lot of smoke...)

Roo

It's Smash U not on a console you don't want.
Because we know for sure NX is a product with massive appeal, right?
F4ENnZ4.gif

Oh, and even better, with a port of an almost 3 year old game!

I mean a straight port would generate so little buzz that nobody would fucking care. It just makes absolutely no sense to port the game without extra content.

I mean, Smash at launch screams "please buy this console" and I won't be buying an NX for smash if there's nothing new in it.

Is that from your source? :p
No. You wouldn't be hearing anything from me if that were the case, because I respect the NDA.
It doesn't make sense that it wouldn't. There's nothing to see if it's literally just Smash 4 on another console.

Why even bother? The ROI on new content is absurd. Spend a couple months throwing together a few characters and a couple stages and you've increased sales several times over.

DLC has shown people are willing to throw large sums of money at a relatively small amount of additional content.
Because it's more than likely a port, and that's even if the rumor is TRUE.
What do you mean "knowing Nintendo"

Nintendo's remakes and re-releases almost always contain new content.

There's nothing that indicates that Smash NX, again, if real, is a remake or a regular port.

The Wii U version of hyrule warriors is missing a ton of the content from the 3DS game. The actual characters are honestly not that important in Hyrule Warriors vs the adventure maps and extra stages the 3DS game got that it's missing.

Also by the time smash NX launches, if it gets out in march 2017, it'll have been more than a year since Bayo launched rather than a couple of months, so yeah, actually, I can see them "invalidating" those versions from that point of view.

edit: and again the melee HD stuff. The core fighter fanbase way overestimates the value of that game. Not that a melee Hd couldn't work for some people, but I really do think the general smash buying population value the 30 or so new characters since then over the gameplay mechanics.

Metal B

Once Sakurai stops agreeing to make Smash, that'll happen.
Yeah, together with the moment, Nintendo stops making games for everybody. it's so funny, that some people real believe this narrative. No matter who is the head behind a Smash games, they always will try to have a balance between casual and competitive players aka Smash 4.

If anything, Nintendo could try to create a spin-off called "Melee", which focus alone on the competitive part and has original characters. Sakruai once said, that he would do things differently, if he would focus on a competitive only Smash game. Would be interesting, what he had in mind and have people finally shut up about it.

Daouzin

Once Sakurai stops agreeing to make Smash, that'll happen.

Why are you trying to get people to hate Sakurai, I'm sure he has no issues with a Melee HD.

You wish.

Of course, but honestly I do think that the NX announcement will come with or will be shortly followed by a Melee Virtual Console announcement.

I think launching the NX with GC games on the VC just makes sense.

The list will include:
Melee
F-Zero GX
Mario Sunshine

Neoxon

I mean a straight port would generate so little buzz that nobody would fucking care. It just makes absolutely no sense to port the game without extra content.

I mean, Smash at launch screams "please buy this console" and I won't be buying an NX for smash if there's nothing new in it.
Good thing there will likely be other games to entice you. Late ports shouldn't be the reason to buy a console, they're usually just icing on the cake.

Fandangox

bats_8.img_assist_custom.jpg

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It'd be a Complete Edition meant to pad out the NX launch line-up & save a gem from sinking with the Wii U.

If there's more content, neat. But the only new character I have a good feeling will come are the Ice Climbers, & even they're no guarantee.

I understand that it seems to be logical move for the business. I understand why people believe that we are going to get a lazy port job. Apparently people forget the fact that Sakurai is one of those proud developer, and he implied that he's pretty much against the games being re-released for future consoles as I mentioned it early today. If anything, it could be tale-telling for Sakurai and Smash NX. That's big if we are getting best scenario here.

Also, people do forget that Sakurai really love Smash Bros franchise because he felt that the Smash development may be one of most interesting thing that he could have done with, like working with other third party companies for their contents. If it wasn't for Sakurai's love, we would have got Melee with online mode for Wii, and who know what we would get for Wii U.

Also I urge people to realize something on this matter, if we didn't get any new contents for Smash NX, then we wouldn't get any new contents until next generation console, but that's big if we are getting next gen console because the video game economy and industry are constantly changing every year so we can't really predict the future.

They are getting the team together for Smash NX right now, so they are not going to decide to get together again in couple of years because Namco need their teams for other products as well.

Also Splatoon is one of most hottest IP that Nintendo miraculously made right now so I think they should include Inkling in Smash Bros NX when it's still popular because we know many fans would buy the game. And there is Ice Climbers too. :p

I understand that it seems to be logical move for the business. I understand why people believe that we are going to get a lazy port job. Apparently people forget the fact that Sakurai is one of those proud developer, and he implied that he's pretty much against the games being re-released for future consoles as I mentioned it early today. If anything, it could be tale-telling for Sakurai and Smash NX. That's big if we are getting best scenario here.

Also, people do forget that Sakurai really love Smash Bros franchise because he felt that the Smash development may be one of most interesting thing that he could have done with, like working with other third party companies for their contents. If it wasn't for Sakurai's love, we would have got Melee with online mode for Wii, and who know what we would get for Wii U.

Also I urge people to realize something on this matter, if we didn't get any new contents for Smash NX, then we wouldn't get any new contents until next generation console, but that's big if we are getting next gen console because the video game economy and industry are constantly changing every year so we can't really predict the future.

They are getting the team together for Smash NX right now, so they are not going to decide to get together again in couple of years because Namco need their teams for other products as well.

Also Splatoon is one of most hottest IP that Nintendo miraculously made right now so I think they should include Inkling in Smash Bros NX when it's still popular because we know many fans would buy the game. And there is Ice Climbers too. :p

The bolded are important points. Traditional console generations seem to potentially be on their way out. Smash Bros. for NX has a very real possibility of being Smash Bros. for the foreseeable future, and Splatoon is an absolute behemoth. It would appeal to the kids' market AND to Japanese players - both important bases for Nintendo to tap into.

I see a lot of arguments for why not to expect additional content, and some of those are reasonable. But I have never seen a good argument as to why simply releasing a straight port - an inarguably less appealing product in the eyes of many - is the smart thing that Nintendo should do.

Good thing there will likely be other games to entice you. Late ports shouldn't be the reason to buy a console, they're usually just icing on the cake.
After everything that's happened with the Wii U, Nintendo basically needs everything they can to make the NX a success. New Smash characters get people hyped and excited, so I'd imagine that would help the NX get positive buzz than some straight port.

JazzmanZ

Smash absolutely will get new content, they've got a whole year to do stuff with it and I doubt they'd sit on it like Paper Mario Color splash is.

It's probably one of the games that they wanted for launch and why the NX got delayed too.

Daouzin

Smash absolutely will get new content, they've got a whole year to do stuff with it and I doubt they'd sit on it like Paper Mario Color splash is.

It's probably one of the games that they wanted for launch and why the NX got delayed too.

You sound so confident about something that you can't possibly know about haha. I do think there will be a few new items, in terms of content, but besides maybe adding Inkling and Ice Climbers, I really don't think much else will be added.

Don't we know it's delayed because of VR?

PtM

Banned
You sound so confident about something that you can't possibly know about haha. I do think there will be a few new items, in terms of content, but besides maybe adding Inkling and Ice Climbers, I really don't think much else will be added.

VR is not on the table.

Javier

Adding Inkling and the Ice Climbers would already be plenty. I can see that being added at launch and then add more stuff through DLC.

I think it's highly likely there is new content.

Makes sense to help entice the existing Smash 4 crowd along with all the new SSB4 consumers they're undoubtably hoping to pick up.

PtM

Banned
I think it's highly likely there is new content.

Makes sense to help entice the existing Smash 4 crowd along with all the new SSB4 consumers they're undoubtably hoping to pick up.
As long as WiiU owners get something out of it, like a sale on DLC…

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
eSfISSZ.gif

That's me against those unbelievers here. :p (Yes, I did made the GIF just for this. I think people would understand the context better if they saw the scene themselves)

But I don't really see a lot of people getting their hopes up for the port outside of GAF beyond a few people here-&-there. Sakurai wouldn't really be disappointing a lot of people by doing a straight port of Smash 4 with all of the DLC included, & that's assuming Sakurai's even involved with the port.

Right, we don't want to rise our expectation or hopes for this but we gotta to hope for the best tho. I wouldn't be disappointed if we didn't get anything new out of Smash NX.

Seriously? Smash Bros. character announcements makes news headlines on game sites and the trailers rack up millions of views. Look at the unanimously ravenous reaction to Breath of the Wild. Look at all the people who get annoyed at nintendo when they do something like make mandatory motion controls or a non-RPG Paper Mario. Those people are disappointed when they get something they don't like. They don't buy something if they have no incentive to or if it's just like the thing they already have. A port with no new content would be divisive at best. These mentalities have no basis.

Exactly. Getting the audiences hyped for Smash Bros is one of best way to convince the fans to pick up a new console and new game. I meant, Look at Bayonetta's sales, once people found out that Bayonetta got in Smash Bros via DLC, so I'm pretty sure that it could move the console if Smash NX have new contents.

More Smash trailers would be awesome tho!

I mean I haven't seen a lot of people hyping up the rumored Smash 4 port in social media. There's talk, sure, but I didn't notice a lot of people asking for characters for the port. If I missed a spot or two, please chime in. But I'm just saying what I've observed. There wouldn't be much disappointment for a straight port.

People don't really report on texted rumors or leaks but usually they would if there are pictures. I don't think any sites would willing to put their reputation at risk right now since people are getting too good with fake things.

Dobut anyone would mind if customs were easier to get/already unlocked and could be switched on the fly like names for a potential nX port.

Still will probably be excuses to not use them though lol.

All they need to do is adding Custom Shop to make it easy for everyone. :)

Technically, the NX isn't coming out until 2017, so I'd say that gives them some time to add some new stuff.

Yep, port job should take up to 1-3 months depend on size of the team. And they should have about a year to work on the contents. If Smash NX team is bigger than DLC team then they should have enough to do some amounts of new contents done with.

Exactly. I totally agreed with you there.

No. You wouldn't be hearing anything from me if that were the case, because I respect the NDA.

Pssh, I was joking, hence my tongue smiley. Sorry if I wasn't transparent enough here. To be honest, I don't want people to risk their jobs for their 5 minutes fame.

Add Inklings, sell millions.

Yeah, that was one of my argument on why I think we might have new contents, and more Amiibo because of new characters. :p

Just give me an ash greninja alt.

Only in Final Smash, would you be okay with it?

I can agree to this, if only because on the rare chance we get Melee HD instead it means everyone wins :p

Sound good. that meant, only ONE SMALL new content would entitle me the victory.

random25

All I need is a little more alts, more stages, more music and just add all the DLC characters and I'm fine with that. Maybe integrate Smash Run into the NX version because as a minority, I love that mode a lot. I'm only talking about if Smash NX is just a port of Smash Wii U.

PK Gaming

Character wise, I've gotten to a point where I don't really want anybody

I mean, K Rool and Dixie Kong would be neat for the fam, but I am preeeetty content on that front

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Character wise, I've gotten to a point where I don't really want anybody

I mean, K Rool and Dixie Kong would be neat for the fam, but I am preeeetty content on that front

Well, I already got most of characters that I wanted (Little Mac, Duck Hunt, Cloud, etc, etc) so I'm pretty content with the roster at the moment. It would feel right if we are going to get Ice Climbers back, along with Rhythm Heaven Rep and Splatoon Rep. However, I'm going to regard all characters in Smash NX as bonus for the roster and more love for Smash and Nintendo.

Smash Ballot probably going to get used for Smash NX if we get any new contents so I'm very intrigued to see if we actually get any new contents or not. It's going to be fun road for next few months. Honestly, I believe that Smash NX is going to be out after E3 2017, and latest we would find out about NX is probably November.

Clefargle

Well, I already got most of characters that I wanted (Little Mac, Duck Hunt, Cloud, etc, etc) so I'm pretty content with the roster at the moment. It would feel right if we are going to get Ice Climbers back, along with Rhythm Heaven Rep and Splatoon Rep. However, I'm going to regard all characters in Smash NX as bonus for the roster and more love for Smash and Nintendo.

Smash Ballot probably going to get used for Smash NX if we get any new contents so I'm very intrigued to see if we actually get any new contents or not. It's going to be fun road for next few months. Honestly, I believe that Smash NX is going to be out after E3 2017, and latest we would find out about NX is probably November.

Add snake in there and you have a winning combo. Day zero for me if so.

Top Bottom