• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Vena

We can't be acting like we're the only ones whose opinions matter. EVO was founded on the idea of all communities being satisfied. By this logic, there should be some sort of middle-ground for Smash 4 that can keep both sides happy. And from what I've seen from both sides of the argument, a prime-time Saturday night showing for Smash 4 while Melee retains its Sunday time slot would be a great way to meet everyone half-way. Of course, expanding EVO to 4 days would be another solution, but I think one of the guys in charge of EVO shot that idea down on the Smash subreddit.

And as stated in my post before, even if one of the current Sunday games (say, UMvC3) gets moved to Saturday, Tekken 7 would most likely be first in line to take up that spot (because Bandai Namco).

My point is that is is illogical when you have communities of orders of magnitude difference being treated disproportionately. That sort of treatment never ends well. It either boils up over time, or that community leaves. Neither is a win scenario for anyone but eventually shit just snaps as it, to a large degree, did this year. EVO is now in PR damage control and, frankly, its funny to watch because they deserve all of the ire and fire aimed their way. You run your tournament poorly, you get shit on.

We *should* treat communities in such a way as they are all satisfied but do not treat dwindling, tiny communities disproportionatly better than your second largest community. That's just favoritism over some defined perception or reason by organizers. If I hold an event for W, X, Y & Z, and W, X & Y dwarf the attendance of Z, I do not give Z better treatment unless I have some stake in Z or I really don't like W, X, or Y.

And don't get me started on the bullshit they pulled for KI. "Oh yes, you're part of our community and we sure want you to be satisfied... so long as you do so in this corner here, where no one can see you while we botch the event preceding yours and you get almost no airtime!"

Satisfy "the communities" my ass. Pretty words that EVO has showed to have very little meaning.

So for awhile I've had this thing I remember reading (around the Brawl era) that Sakurai said about Young/Toon Link and how Link is best represented in Smash Bros with two distinct ages, since he's had two ages in his games, and this is why there are always two Links in Smash Bros.

But I have never been able to find anything about this and I can't even think of the context of why he'd ever say that. He's never treated Y/T Link as the same character anywhere (despite most of the fan base considering them as one) as far as I know, so to reference them like that would be uncharacteristic. I don't know if my brain is making up something from the Brawl days, or this was a "Sakurai says" type thing that was just made up. There was a lot of weird stuff going around during the Brawl years.

I just have a fascination with the design process of clones for some reason. They actually have more written about them than most other characters in Smash, which is kind of funny. Almost like Sakurai feels he has to justify them more, so he talks more about them.

Ryce

So for awhile I've had this thing I remember reading (around the Brawl era) that Sakurai said about Young/Toon Link and how Link is best represented in Smash Bros with two distinct ages, since he's had two ages in his games, and this is why there are always two Links in Smash Bros.
I don't think he's ever said that. That sounds like a misunderstanding of Young Link's entry on the Melee site before it was properly translated.

http://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/15/news-flash-super-smash-bros-young-link/

As Link’s creator said, Adult Link’s tale is more of a side story, and Young Link’s tale is the more correct path.

There are only two (or three) games where Link appears as an adult.
And learning from that, I decided to create Young Link.

@Ryce, I mean...that is basically what ballad was saying. Sakurai seems to see the notion of having a younger Link represented in Smash important.

Like I said in another thread, I just think Smash 4 has some sort of stigma against it, especially from Melee players. I've seen a lot of negative comments against it like "BRAWL 2.0", "TR4SH", etc, lot of people thinking the game is extremely boring and slow to watch in comparison to Melee, etc.

This was present in the Brawl days as well (remember "Bawrl"?), so I'm not surprised it still exists.

I just wish all the communities involved could get along.

Cody_D165

Banned
Maybe tonight's Sonic announcement is Knuckles in Smash

That would be cool

It won't be that.

But he's already there.

maxresdefault.jpg

;_;

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Remember those Smash general threads back in Gaming when all we had were PotD right?

...what thread was it where everyone lost their minds because it was late?

Daouzin

Or, in a less controversial point of view, maybe they thought that Smash 4 would die down like Brawl did, but they didn't. But by the time they noticed that Smash 4 wouldn't go the way of Brawl, it was too late to make any major changes. That plus Nintendo doesn't really contribute to the prize pool.

Basically, I'm not sure about the chances of Smash 4 being a Sunday game next year (since there's a ton of other games that would provide diversity to the Sunday line-up & actually have devs who support their respective games in a big way), but a prime-time Saturday time slot would be well-appreciated & a good compromise between the Smash scene & the rest of the FGC who may not be fans of the Smash games.

I agree with this, but not sure if it will be enough for Zero and other top Smash 4 players. I think it would definitely be a good solution. If Smash 4 could get 150k+ viewers on Twitch and bring in more eyes to the other Saturday game line-up, it would be good proof that it also deserves to be on Sunday. When was the last tournament that Smash 4 got over 100k viewers?

Vikki is commenting the Under 12 Smash Bros. SDCC tournament hosted by Nintendo.

https://www.twitch.tv/nintendo

I guess that's good to see she's back at it, although I haven't been following closely to know if she's commented since.
Huh, I got banned from chat for an hour for saying 'o_O' when Luigi up-B'd corrin off the stage for the win.
I expected twitch chat to be moderated fairly tightly on ninty's stream but i'm genuinely baffled by that one XD

Vena

Huh, I got banned from chat for an hour for saying 'o_O' when Luigi up-B'd corrin off the stage for the win.
I expected twitch chat to be moderated fairly tightly on ninty's stream but i'm genuinely baffled by that one XD

Your a monster. Those are just children.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Woah, this is great! Need to get more kids in on the scene. I wish the chat wasn't so terrible though.

Yeah, I always disabled the chats every time I use twitch.

Still waiting on this supposed Smash NX. I have the 3DS version currently.

I wonder when they are going to announce Smash NX? Would they announce the games on same day when they reveal the console.

Maybe they just assumed that you made boobs. :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Ah, I didn't know that. I don't really talk in twitch that much for last 6-7 years.
Outside of a really friendly non-subscriber chat during the pokken pools for EVO where a bunch of us were explaining how the game works to some curious people who hadn't played the game before but were interested, you've not really missed much ^.^;

NeonZ

I wonder when they are going to announce Smash NX? Would they announce the games on same day when they reveal the console.

If it's just an enhanced port, like most people assume, then it probably will be announced right alongside the console, since it should be a launch title.

Top Bottom