• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Nameless character from an extremely divisive spin-off will never, EVER be playable in smash

As it currently stands, there is no other choice that would make sense. Furthermore, Marine makes sense even further because he's the first protagonist character from a non-Samus Metroid game.

Also, I would argue whether a game or character is controversial or not doesn't really matter in regards to them getting picked for Smash. Remember that we got the Other M version of Ridley in Smash 4.
Federation Force is the latest entry to the Metroid series. As such, it is the most likely to get content for Smash.

Sylux is easily the biggest threat to Ridley (after Sakurai)

Sylux hasn't appeared in any game since Prime Hunters. And yes, I'm aware of his cameos in Prime 3 and Federation Force, but those hardly are relevant. Once Sylux returns and is an actual character, then I can see him happening, and then yes, I also can agree that he's more likely to be included. But as it stands right now, he's so much less relevant than Marine or even, like, Anthony and Adam.

Just wait for Sakurai to surprise the fans in the future, when people actually gave up on Ridley. BAM! There would be shocking Ridley announcement that would surprise so many people, just like Villager did in Smash 4.

I always knew Sakurai would change his mind about Villager, so I wasn't that surprised. I was, however, beyond thrilled. Best newcomer!

She is kind of a nag when you first move in...

HNI_0087.JPG

HNI_0094.JPG

And thanks for reminding me of that thread, LOL

I'm just pulling for Dixie, Ridley (I will never give up), and Excitebiker now. I guess Inkling as well but they're just an inevitability.

But I want to share that I think the Artifact Temple from the first Metroid Prime is a place that looks like the perfect setting for a Smash Bros. stage and that Metroid stages could do with some visual variety.

Though a lot of series are starting to have a problem with stage visual variety (DK obviously being the worst of course). Even Mario, with as many stages as it keeps getting, has a lot of samey looking stages in SSB4. Kirby probably has the most different looking stages across a single series over all--outside of Dreamland 64 and Green Greens the Kirby stages across Smash Bros. have all been pretty distinct looking. (actually Earthbound is pretty good too, I just tend to forget about it due to Wii U only having plain old Onett again)

I mean, I understand that there's a desire to pull the most iconic visuals from a series, but I think there's plenty of iconography to go around in the series in Smash that aren't visual retreads of what's been done before. Metroid has desolate, open air ruins, not just big dark rooms with some sort of hot liquid. Zelda has deep, dank dungeons, it isn't all majestic open fields and vistas. Donkey Kong's got pirate ships and snowy mountains outside of jungles, jungles, and more jungles. Mario's got all sorts of crap, no need to anchor nearly every stage (including many transforming stages) with a bright blue sky over green fields.

I feel like at this point we're stuck with certain series conforming to familiar stage archetypes, like DK for jungle stages and Metroid with lava stages. I get the idea behind it, but would a little variety kill them?

Chozo Artifact Temple is a great idea, although I'm still wondering where that Bowser's Castle stage is. Personally, I think it'd work great as a big stage.

Animal Crossing has too many references as it is. It should've stopped at Villager.

stop being wrong

PK Gaming

As it currently stands, there is no other choice that would make sense. Furthermore, Marine makes sense even further because he's the first protagonist character from a non-Samus Metroid game.

But do the Smash team like Metroid Prime Federation? Would they want to add such an uninspiring character like "Marine" to the roster?

I think that's the biggest factor that people just aren't willing to accept. It's why people keep getting burned on characters like Bayo, Corrin and Palutena making it in. Relevance, status, what they can potentially bring to the table, what seemingly makes sense... all of that is secondary to what the dev teams want to add. It's why you'll never see Ridley, it's why Dixie Kong will always get passed up, etc.

I was partially messing around with my "predictions", but I genuinely think the characters I mentioned have a shot of making it in. And honestly, the only probably Metroid rep would be Dark Samus.

Dixie, Inkling, that's all I ask, anything extra like a googly eyed croc or archer owl is just gravy. I've given up on trying to predict, between the newcomers in the game and especially DLC I've been off the mark waaaaay too much.

On a barley related note playing through FE Fates I'm of the thought that Corrin is like the worst main character I've stomached in some time, thus making them the worst actual character in smash who I don't mind playing as.
Really missing a taunt where you yell "GODS NOOOO!" over and over, to be used whenever you defeat anyone.

PK Gaming

Dixie, Inkling, that's all I ask, anything extra like a googly eyed croc or archer owl is just gravy. I've given up on trying to predict, between the newcomers in the game and especially DLC I've been off the mark waaaaay too much.

On a barley related note playing through FE Fates I'm of the thought that Corrin is like the worst main character I've stomached in some time, thus making them the worst actual character in smash who I don't mind playing as.
Really missing a taunt where you yell "GODS NOOOO!" over and over, to be used whenever you defeat anyone.

What are you even talking about.

Corrin is the greatest character ever. She is part dragon, bisexual, chainsaw sword wielding princess who is way into cheesy romance novels.

She's my OC, please do not steal.

As the new face of WarioWare inc, it's only expected that Ashley would make her long awaited appearance in Smash Bros as a playable character (I see you BGBW with the Assist Trophy jokes). Isabella is for sure making it in because she is literally the Nintendo equivalent of those cute anime girls that print money.

Geno
Ashley
King K Rool
Isaac

I do feel that Ashley and King Rool might have better chance than those two characters that I mentioned right now.
WVW69if69u4KSxdFvG

Seriously though, Ashley being added as playable would make me pretty darn happy and be immediate main material. Inkling would be great and an easy main choice for me too.
Throwing further outside the expected I'd be happy to play Braixen if she suddenly turned up too. I don't think she's got any major chance but making it onto the playable Pokken roster feels like some kind of endorsement to me :p I'd love Mawile but that's just straight up not happening.
I'd definitely play Dixie but I'm not super excited about her, even if she'd be a fine addition to me.
Isabelle would be an interesting addition I'd play :3

Isabelle
Isabelle
IsabellE!

How about Ashley from Wario Ware stays as an assist trophy and Ashley from Another Code becomes playable thereby satisfying both parties, the ones who want a playable Ashley and the ones who want an assist Ashley.
...how about No? ¬.¬

What are you even talking about.

Corrin is the greatest character ever. She is part dragon, bisexual, chainsaw sword wielding princess who is way into cheesy romance novels.

She's my OC, please do not steal.
Dunno about the rest of that but female Corrin is easily my favourite addition to the roster to date. Even without the zany moveset her attitude is just kind of awesome to me and "LET'S DO THIS!" is by far and away my fave taunt :3
Male Corrin can die in a fire for all I care though: sorry to those who like him but him taking the default/amiibo position from the more popular female corrin is a crime I'll never forgive regardless of the reason ¬.¬

NeonZ

I think Ashley's chances dropped a lot lately due to the WarioWare series falling off a cliff. Maybe they'll have a launch title for the NX that will change things though.

Also, regarding Corrin, if they haven't used all these months to change the Amiibo from male to female Corrin they're basically just throwing money away.

I think Ashley's chances dropped a lot lately due to the WarioWare series falling off a cliff. Maybe they'll have a launch title for the NX that will change things though.

Also, regarding Corrin, if they haven't used all these months to change the Amiibo from male to female Corrin they're basically just throwing money away.
Mayhaps, but despite the series she's from being quiet/dead, she still seems to be getting new badges in the badge centre along with Isabelle and Nikki :3
NBA-JP-19.08.2016.jpg

I'm also curious how well the mii costumes sold. I bought Inkling, Ashley and Viridi myself and I've noticed a fair few youtube videos of people playing ashley miis :3

As for Corrin, while I'd love for them to switch to fem corrin for the amiibo (especially if any games support it and let me play as her in other stuff like mario-maker) I doubt the slow, ponderous action of production would allow for them to make that change. Besides, there was plenty of evidence fem corrin would likely be the more popular of the two before they even released the pair on smash anyhoo but apparently the 'default' defined by marketing is more important than what people actually like as I'm sure Neoxon would tell you, even if all signs point to fem corrin being worth more monies to them to the point that she's getting her own figmas :p

Mayhaps, but despite the series she's from being quiet/dead, she still seems to be getting new badges in the badge centre along with Isabelle and Nikki :3
I'm also curious how well the mii costumes sold. I bought Inkling, Ashley and Viridi myself and I've noticed a fair few youtube videos of people playing ashley miis :3
I hope Takamaru sold well enough for Sakurai to reconsider his idea for Takamaru in Smash, and put him in.
As for Corrin, while I'd love for them to switch to fem corrin for the amiibo (especially if any games support it and let me play as her in other stuff like mario-maker) I doubt the slow, ponderous action of production would allow for them to make that change. Besides, there was plenty of evidence fem corrin would likely be the more popular of the two before they even released the pair on smash anyhoo but apparently the 'default' defined by marketing is more important than what people actually like as I'm sure Neoxon would tell you, even if all signs point to fem corrin being worth more monies to them to the point that she's getting her own figmas :p
I'd say get a Corrin amiibo and stuff the NFC chip of that into the Fem Corrin Figma.

I'd say just get a Corrin amiibo and stuff the NFC chip of that into the Fem Corrin Figma.
Problem with that is it'd still be male corrin in the games that accept it. See Robin in codename S.T.E.A.M. for example:

ss-011.jpg

No gender option. you can only play male robin.

On the Ashley front: OMG... there's Ashley system icons on the badge arcade! I want them @.@

tumblr_inline_obrh0fZyFr1sua1pm_400.jpg

tumblr_inline_obrh0fOln81sua1pm_400.jpg

Zebei

"still" popular implies that he ever was

He was popular for Brawl at least.

His popularity then proceeded to fall off a cliff and land in a garbage dump.

Only a few stragglers remained until the mii costume brought a whole bunch of fans out of the woodwork. (Of course he is still absurdly niche)

I hope the Geno costume sold well. Just to let them know he's still popular and should be used more.

I hope Takamaru sold well enough for Sakurai to reconsider his idea for Takamaru in Smash, and put him in.

To be honest, I kind of wish we had any numbers at all for the DLC. Like how many people bought Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta? How many bought what costumes? How many bought the various stages? Did the bundles sell or did people realise they weren't saving money with those? Not that it'd really help us predict the wild ride that is smash bros but it'd be nice to have some kind of insight... it's not like we'll ever see the ballot results after all :p

To be honest, I kind of wish we had any numbers at all for the DLC. Like how many people bought Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta? How many bought what costumes? How many bought the various stages? Did the bundles sell or did people realise they weren't saving money with those? Not that it'd really help us predict the wild ride that is smash bros but it'd be nice to have some kind of insight... it's not like we'll ever see the ballot results after all :p

We know Smash DLC is the best selling Nintendo DLC.

That's about all we know, sadly.

I'm curious which stages are popular. I'm pretty sure Dreamland and any DLC stage tied to a character likely sold well, but beyond that, I'm not sure.

In other news, the playable Pokemon are the reason the game was delayed in Europe. Didn't see this interview posted here, first translation SG has done in awhile.

Sakurai: According to the character license, Pikachu couldn’t speak and he couldn’t wear any clothing.

But Sakurai doesn't care. Sakurai gives Pikachu a cowboy hat because nobody tells Sakurai what to do.

PK Gaming

Problem with that is it'd still be male corrin in the games that accept it. See Robin in codename S.T.E.A.M. for example:

ss-011.jpg

No gender option. you can only play male robin.

On the Ashley front: OMG... there's Ashley system icons on the badge arcade! I want them @.@

tumblr_inline_obrh0fZyFr1sua1pm_400.jpg

tumblr_inline_obrh0fOln81sua1pm_400.jpg

Well that's fine because male Robin is the actual best

Also the translation before that was about Sonic, and this part made me laugh
Of course I played the older titles, but I also completed the newest installment at the time—Sonic the Hedgehog for the Playstation 3.

And then a little later
After thinking about it for a while, I decided to utilize the first version of Sonic—the one from Sega Genesis.

Sonic 2006 ruined modern Sonic for Sakurai!

I wonder what was going through his mind playing 2006 on the PS3, which I believe is the worst version of the game.

I'm gonna be real here, Animal Crossing is some of the most unfun boring gaming experiences I've had. Not because they're bad games, but because they're so not my cup of tea. I've given the series multiple chances, not once has it clicked.

To this day I have a digital copy of New Leaf sitting on my 3DS, taunting me. Fuck you Isabelle. Fuck you citizens with your stupid daily demands. Fuck you weeds.

Animal Crossing should have never gotten more than one stage, it doesn't deserve it.

jnWake

I'm gonna be real here, Animal Crossing is some of the most unfun boring gaming experiences I've had. Not because they're bad games, but because they're so not my cup of tea. I've given the series multiple chances, not once has it clicked.

To this day I have a digital copy of New Leaf sitting on my 3DS, taunting me. Fuck you Isabelle. Fuck you citizens with your stupid daily demands. Fuck you weeds.

Animal Crossing should have never gotten more than one stage, it doesn't deserve it.

They are the best stages for neutral play though. Sakurai can't think of silly gimmicks for those stages so they end up being pretty good.

PtM

Banned
Man everyone mad salty that AC getting good representation just cuz they don't like the games

Like sorry you carry a no fun allowed sign, but the worse part is I guess you don't realize it's deservedly beloved but okay

Y'all better get used to it cuz it's one of their major franchises and for good reason, so I'd say it'll only get more awesome stuff

:^)

NeonZ

I bought the Ashley mii costume too, I just don't have much hope at this point for her considering her WarioWare's current status.

As for Corrin, while I'd love for them to switch to fem corrin for the amiibo (especially if any games support it and let me play as her in other stuff like mario-maker) I doubt the slow, ponderous action of production would allow for them to make that change.

This last batch of Smash Amiibo is getting quite a long time between announcement and production though. We don't even have any actual images of the physical Amiibo, only a mock up with their Smash CG renders. If they're actually waiting that long for production, rather than it being just a release timing issue, there's no excuse to not go with female Corrin.

Golnei

Don't forget that any Smash amiibo for female Corrin would need to use the censored Smash model for reference rather than the actual design. Even if they wanted to promote the more popular female version as a default, it doesn't make sense to build merchandise off a hacked-together redesign made to appease ratings boards. This way, both versions of Corrin can get merchandise that accurately represents them; the male with the amiibo and the female with the Nendoroid/Figma.

Male Robin and Female Corrin just seem right to me as defaults, I mean if we're gonna have two mostly blank slates with white hair we might as well have them that little bit more differentiated by gender.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well at least you know they'll change Villager's default to pink haired pony tailed female next time round.

xXjWXqj.jpg

PK Gaming

Man everyone mad salty that AC getting good representation just cuz they don't like the games

Like sorry you carry a no fun allowed sign, but the worse part is I guess you don't realize it's deservedly beloved but okay

Y'all better get used to it cuz it's one of their major franchises and for good reason, so I'd say it'll only get more awesome stuff

:^)

I was thinking of getting into the 3DS AC one of these days, but everyone's probably moved onto other games at this point, heh.

Don't forget that any Smash amiibo for female Corrin would need to use the censored Smash model for reference rather than the actual design. Even if they wanted to promote the more popular female version as a default, it doesn't make sense to build merchandise off a hacked-together redesign made to appease ratings boards. This way, both versions of Corrin can get merchandise that accurately represents them; the male with the amiibo and the female with the Nendoroid/Figma.

What's the BFD? I wouldn't call it a hacked-together redesign when they're largely identical. The main difference is that you can see her panties in her default model.

Male Robin and Female Corrin just seem right to me as defaults, I mean if we're gonna have two mostly blank slates with white hair we might as well have them that little bit more differentiated by gender.

My man.

Well at least you know they'll change Villager's default to pink haired pony tailed female next time round.

xXjWXqj.jpg

My man x2.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That was a bit daft. They should have seen long term the villagers were going to be taller. Not they've got the additional work of redoing Villager's models and animations to match the contemporary look which was already the contemporary look at the time.

Top Bottom