• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

PtM

Banned
What's the BFD? I wouldn't call it a hacked-together redesign when they're largely identical. The main difference is that you can see her panties in her default model.
I think that's a big selling point for figurine lovers.
As far as the Amiibos go, it's becoming increasingly apparent at this point that they're being held back for the NX port of the game. And while I get why Nintendo would do this, it just seems weird to hold them back this long (unless the NX port lacks any new characters, then I'd understand why).
You might be onto something, seriously.

Neoxon

As far as the Amiibos go, it's becoming increasingly apparent at this point that they're being held back for the NX port of the game. And while I get why Nintendo would do this, it just seems weird to hold them back this long (unless the NX port lacks any new characters, then I'd understand why).

Neoxon

You might be onto something, seriously.
The NX port being a straight port with all of the DLC & no new characters would explain why Bayonetta, Corrin, & Cloud's Amiibos haven't been released, yet. Even if releasing them alongside a new version of the game would spur sales, there would be other Amiibos they could release alongside the NX port if said port ends up having new characters. And while sure, the lack of new characters would dampen the hype of the NX port of Smash 4 a bit, they could still add stuff like new stages & modes. Plus, if there aren't any new tournament-legal stages, it wouldn't screw over the thousands of Wii Us already purchased by tournament organizers for Smash 4 (& Pokkén, if that lives past this year competitively) purposes.

Dr. Buni

Animal Crossing has too many references as it is. It should've stopped at Villager.
There isn't enough if anything. The amount of AC stuff isn't really comparable to say, Fire Emblem stuff and I don't see anyone complaining about "too much FE stuff" in Smash.
Besides me
Dixie, Inkling, that's all I ask,
Those + Rhythm Heaven rep and I will never ask for any character for Smash again.

Even Sakurai thinks the amount of FE content in Smash 4 might be pushing it a bit
I personally felt that having too many Fire Emblem characters was a problem, but after talking it over with the development staff and discussing logistics, I felt certain that I could make them a fun character.

The amount of FE content in Smash is one of those things that was a big deal a year ago, but nobody seems to care about it at all anymore. Probably because Corrin was such a fun character and Fates was a good game.

To be honest, I think Animal Crossing is a tad underrepresented in Smash. That series is massive, with ridiculous sales. And only one character, three stages, two items and one assist trophy. That's slightly less representation than the Mother series, a series that's microscopic compared to Animal Crossing.

Those + Rhythm Heaven rep and I will never ask for any character for Smash again.

As an aside I'm kinda amazed that RH didn't even get a stage as I find it falls into a similar situation as Brawl Animal Crossing where there's not exactly a clear rep but it certainly has the clout for a stage.

Instead please enjoy these sneaky spirit smash run cameos, oh and Monkey Watch which is a jam.

And while sure, the lack of new characters would dampen the hype of the NX port of Smash 4 a bit, they could still add stuff like new stages & modes.

This reminds me of when some people scoffed at the idea of there being Character DLC but then said "well, they could still do stages and other modes...".

Sakurai should know at this point that above all else, characters are what get people excited for these games, not stages or whatever. If he indeed plans on adding new content to Smash NX then it'd be idiotic not to put those resources into stuff people care about.

You know, like characters.

The disappointment when we don't get new characters will be fun to watch :3

Don't mind me, just grabbing snacks to watch the world burn

I'm not taking sides. In a way I learned not to after what happened with the Smash Direct.

What I mean is, a lot of people in these threads convinced themselves that Wolf and Inkling would be the final two characters. I thought it made sense and yet at the same time it just seemed too safe and boring a note to go out on, especially after we got motherfucking Cloud. Every time I brought this up people kept telling me that "well, obviously they're using Cloud as bait for the casual audience to get hooked into the Direct where they'll announce the safe characters". And well, look what happened.

Unless you're somebody like Waluigi or Ridley, there are no absolutes when it comes to Smash, and that's why I don't really believe in people who say both "We'll get new characters FOR SURE!" or "We will ABSOLUTELY NOT get any new characters!". I'd rather sit it out and wait. You're gonna make yourself look like a fool either way.

But really, I just think it'd be a slap in the face to invest in adding new shit to Smash 4 on NX but put those resources into adding things that wouldn't get people nearly as excited over, like...new characters. Imagine if they did nothing but stage DLC for Sm4sh, it wouldn't of been nearly as interesting or exciting.

PtM

Banned
To be honest, I think Animal Crossing is a tad underrepresented in Smash. That series is massive, with ridiculous sales. And only one character, three stages, two items and one assist trophy. That's slightly less representation than the Mother series, a series that's microscopic compared to Animal Crossing.
It's as if they don't care about numbers.

SaikyoBro

I suppose the other 3 could be released alongside the newbies, but it just seems weird to save them when the NX port could have other new characters to make Amiibos out of.

I don't think it's that weird, the Smash amiibo waves have always varied in size and there's never really been any logic as to which characters are released with which wave.

PK Gaming

Sakurai said:
I personally felt that having too many Fire Emblem characters was a problem, but after talking it over with the development staff and discussing logistics, I felt certain that I could make them a fun character.

Ooh, ooh let me translate this one

What he's actually saying said:
We at the smash team really, really, really liked Fire Emblem: Fates. It collectively offered some of the richest gameplay in the franchise history, and even if the story was weak (and which FE game has a good story, amirite), we LOVED the characters. So there was pretty much no way we'd leave out the cool main character, who combines swordplay (oh boy you know how much we love swords) and the ability to transform into a goddamn DRAGON. Uh, roster parity? Who gives a shit, Fire Emblem: Fates is the hottest thing right now. I don't even remember the last time I played a Donkey Kong game. And no, petting was the best goddamn feature and if you think it was unnecessary trash then gtfo face please.

Dr. Buni

As an aside I'm kinda amazed that RH didn't even get a stage as I find it falls into a similar situation as Brawl Animal Crossing where there's not exactly a clear rep but it certainly has the clout for a stage.

Instead please enjoy these sneaky spirit smash run cameos, oh and Monkey Watch which is a jam.
I remember when the 3DS version was leaking and there was this blurry picture of the stage selection screen, some people (me included) thought the Magicant stage was a Rhythm Heaven stage... Too bad it wasn't. At the same time, the Magicant stage is so good.
Am I in the wrong fanbase? Because that is easily one of, if not the most complained about things in smash.
People seemed to be really hyped about the FE newcomers and during the early days after the release, I didn't really see much complaints about the FE cast in Smash. Granted, I am not in touch with the community (I kind of left when the last DLC characters were announced), so things might have changed.

Honestly, we got 5 FE playable characters and they are most likely not going to be cut, so I learned to accept them. At the same time it would be nice to not have yet another FE rep in the next Smash game. It just feels weird to me.

Dr. Buni

This reminds me of when some people scoffed at the idea of there being Character DLC but then said "well, they could still do stages and other modes...".

Sakurai should know at this point that above all else, characters are what get people excited for these games, not stages or whatever. If he indeed plans on adding new content to Smash NX then it'd be idiotic not to put those resources into stuff people care about.

You know, like characters.
The roster is pretty big right now though and the game already seem to be quite difficult to balance. I think if they add more characters (like 10~15 or more), balance will be severely compromised. Granted, I am a casual smasher, so it is not a big deal for me, but it seems like Nintendo wants that sweet eSport audience.

I could see Smash NX introducing only a few new characters. Maybe the focus will be in implementing new game modes, meibe a new storyline mode a la Subspace Emissary, but good this time. Or maybe we will get a ton of new chars, who knows.

The only reason there won't be a Fire Emblem character in the hypothetical NX version is because Sakurai exhausted all the currently feasible options and even he couldn't bullshit an excuse for another at this moment in time.

Dr. Buni

The only reason there won't be a Fire Emblem character in the hypothetical NX version is because Sakurai exhausted all the currently feasible options and even he couldn't bullshit an excuse for another at this moment in time.
By the time Smash NX is announced there could be a Fire Emblem NX announced as well, so :p

NeonZ

By the time Smash NX is announced there could be a Fire Emblem NX announced as well, so :p

There will likely be the mobile game at least, which if that one report was right would be getting an NX release too. I'd guess the mobile game will be just some kind of "all star crossover" game, without a full cast of its own, but there could be another original avatar character.

Dr. Buni

There will likely be the mobile game at least, which if that one report was right would be getting an NX release too. I'd guess the mobile game will be just some kind of "all star crossover" game, without a full cast of its own, but there could be another original avatar character.
That is a possibility. As long as the character looks cool and is fun to play, people will be on board*, but I'd rather have something else.

*Even I have to admit Corrin is really fun to play as.

Neoxon

I could see it being a compilation of the FE games represented in Smash. By which I mean a scenario for Marth, Roy, Ike, the Shepherds (Chrom/Robin/Lucina), & Corrin. Corrin in particular may get dicey since he/she has multiple paths to take in the source game. I could also see Nintendo splitting up the Shepherds into Present (Chrom/Robin) & Future Past (Lucina).

jnWake

Only shame of the FE lineup IMO is that FE7 got shafted. I like Roy in Smash 4 but I'd love to have Hector or Lyn (although I prefer Hector because of the axe). I'd also like if Lucina was less clone-ish too.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If we are going to get any new contents, I'm pretty sure that we are not going to get any more Fire Emblem newcomer(s). It's just my assumption, and going with what Sakurai said in the article.

Popular enough to be considered twice for Smash. I can think of quite a few "popular" characters who have never even been hinted at being considered, while Geno has two considerations under his belt.

Takamaru. He was briefly considered for Smash Bros few times.

It's plausible but I wouldn't be surprised that you are right either way.

Am I in the wrong fanbase? Because that is easily one of, if not the most complained about things in smash.

Definitely not. I have heard some complaints about "too many fire emblem characters or too many sword-users."

The disappointment when we don't get new characters will be fun to watch :3

Don't mind me, just grabbing snacks to watch the world burn

I didn't meant to ruin your fun there but I don't think many of us here actually expect new contents or/and new characters for Smash NX. Also I would like to believe that we are expecting for the worst outcome but we also hope for the best outcome for Smash NX.

I'm not taking sides. In a way I learned not to after what happened with the Smash Direct.

What I mean is, a lot of people in these threads convinced themselves that Wolf and Inkling would be the final two characters. I thought it made sense and yet at the same time it just seemed too safe and boring a note to go out on, especially after we got motherfucking Cloud. Every time I brought this up people kept telling me that "well, obviously they're using Cloud as bait for the casual audience to get hooked into the Direct where they'll announce the safe characters". And well, look what happened.

Unless you're somebody like Waluigi or Ridley, there are no absolutes when it comes to Smash, and that's why I don't really believe in people who say both "We'll get new characters FOR SURE!" or "We will ABSOLUTELY NOT get any new characters!". I'd rather sit it out and wait. You're gonna make yourself look like a fool either way.

But really, I just think it'd be a slap in the face to invest in adding new shit to Smash 4 on NX but put those resources into adding things that wouldn't get people nearly as excited over, like...new characters. Imagine if they did nothing but stage DLC for Sm4sh, it wouldn't of been nearly as interesting or exciting.

Exactly, it's fun to speculate that way but it's unnecessary to get too invested with the unannounced games because we don't know what would happens. I just like to speculate and predict here. Once it's over then I'm pretty sure that most of us would move on to something different.

Yep, Sakurai already acknowledged that the characters are the most important thing about new Smash because people mostly expressed their interests to see who would get in the game or not. However it don't meant it's 100% sure thing for Smash NX to have new contents tho.

And what's up with your current avatar?

PK Gaming

Only shame of the FE lineup IMO is that FE7 got shafted. I like Roy in Smash 4 but I'd love to have Hector or Lyn (although I prefer Hector because of the axe). I'd also like if Lucina was less clone-ish too.

Forreal

Everyone's lamenting the overabundance of FE characters and here I am totally depressed over Hector not getting in

Hector's never going to get into Smash :(

Zebei

The fact we never got Lyn Officially in Project M is a damn shame. Since she would never be playable in an official game that would have been great to see

Too bad her high dodge rate couldn't dodge whatever happened to Moon

Don't forget that any Smash amiibo for female Corrin would need to use the censored Smash model for reference rather than the actual design. Even if they wanted to promote the more popular female version as a default, it doesn't make sense to build merchandise off a hacked-together redesign made to appease ratings boards. This way, both versions of Corrin can get merchandise that accurately represents them; the male with the amiibo and the female with the Nendoroid/Figma.
I personally don't have any issue with the removal of the 'thigh windows'. I'd hardly call extending the design sensibilities of the male design over the fanservicey additions to the female one 'hacked together' :p

Well at least you know they'll change Villager's default to pink haired pony tailed female next time round.

xXjWXqj.jpg
I'd legit play villager if they had her as one of the skins. She's who I race as in Mario Kart :3

Forreal

Everyone's lamenting the overabundance of FE characters and here I am totally depressed over Hector not getting in

I've never really been fussed about series representation: I only really care about them adding interesting characters. Hence why I've bemoaned in the past that protagonists for series can be quite dull as the whole series repping thing usually means we get them rather than any other members of the cast (for example: I have to apologize to any Shulk fans but I always felt he's massively overshadowed by the rest of the Xenoblade cast and any of them would've been a more interesting addition, character-wise. In the actual games he was never in my party except the parts where you're kind of forced to have him :p)

PK Gaming

I've never really been fussed about series representation: I only really care about them adding interesting characters. Hence why I've bemoaned in the past that protagonists for series can be quite dull as the whole series repping thing usually means we get them rather than any other members of the cast (for example: I have to apologize to any Shulk fans but I always felt he's massively overshadowed by the rest of the Xenoblade cast and any of them would've been a more interesting addition, character-wise. In the actual games he was never in my party except the parts where you're kind of forced to have him :p)

But Shulk had the funnest skillset ever. Monado Arts >>> Standard JPRG skills that your party members had.

Though I guess Dunban was cool as hell.

BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE...

But Shulk had the funnest skillset ever. Monado Arts >>> Standard JPRG skills that your party members had

Though I guess Dunban was cool as hell
I dunno, the strong emphasis on combos and skill-linking the others had actually seem like something that'd be better suited to smash. Also, at least as far as Melia is concerned, there was nothing particularly normal about how she worked: the charges system is fairly uncommon :3

Melia would have been fun as fuck

And I say that as someone who was a Shulk main from 3DS release to Cloud's reveal

Although I wonder if she would have been as low tier as Shulk :(
Yeah, your attacks defining a further attack would've definitely worked in smash better than having to stop to change stance I feel. As a long-time Zelda player I know full well that having to stay still for any extended period of time to change stance isn't a great idea in smash :p
To be honest though, having observed transformation/stance systems in various fighting games I've noticed the only ones that truly 'work' are the ones where some of your moves change your stance as part of the attack, allowing you to flow from form/stance to form/stance as you attack (e.g. knightmare/siegried in soul calibur is a great example of this)

BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE...
AGAINST THE ODDS
WE CHOOSE TO FIGHT!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
y'all talk about representation and such

and I'm just here, sitting with coffee on table as well as an empty dog bowl with the name WOLF on it

"Come home Wolf."

Dr. Buni

I'd rather have Fiora over Melia.

But honestly a Xenoblade X rep would be more interesting than a second Xenoblade rep. And the only logical rep for that game would be Elma.

Javier

The roster is pretty big right now though and the game already seem to be quite difficult to balance. I think if they add more characters (like 10~15 or more), balance will be severely compromised. Granted, I am a casual smasher, so it is not a big deal for me, but it seems like Nintendo wants that sweet eSport audience.

I could see Smash NX introducing only a few new characters. Maybe the focus will be in implementing new game modes, meibe a new storyline mode a la Subspace Emissary, but good this time. Or maybe we will get a ton of new chars, who knows.
I think Smash NX will probably have no more than 5 new characters at first, but they'll keep adding extra ones as DLC for as long as they can. I expect Wolf and Ice Climbers to be added back, Inkling as the more obvious newcomer, a Rhythm Heaven character (which I still think should be Tibby with a moveset made up entirely out of references to the various RH games and characters), and one more character to coincide with whatever NX project Nintendo is working/co-developing (like Terra if the rumored Final Fantasy 6 NX remake is true).

What I definitely think has zero chance of happening is Smash NX having no extra characters. I really, REALLY don't see that happening.

How hard could he be to remake? Just reclone him like they did with Doc, slap on a new run animation because his Melee run animation was janky, and there you go.

Then Jigglypuff can stop being the joke character and go back to being a normal character.

...the only game where Jigglypuff was really good was the one game where Jigglypuff did not have to be a cutesy jokey character.

y'all talk about representation and such

and I'm just here, sitting with coffee on table as well as an empty dog bowl with the name WOLF on it

"Come home Wolf."
And his trailer needs to have this rocking in the background + added to the game

Always remember...
He and his eternal rival, Fox, have even fought on the same side from time to time...but inevitably, they always meet again as enemies.

Draxal

Forreal

Lilina will pull a Lucina and get in over Hector just like Lucina got in over Chrom.

Anyway, a lot of people were really upset when Corrin was announced but Bayonetta took the spotlight off that real quick. The initial response to the Corrins was extremely negative (except for Etika).

>.>
<.<

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRolAtXmV-c

Lilina will pull a Lucina and get in over Hector just like Lucina got in over Chrom.

Anyway, a lot of people were really upset when Corrin was announced but Bayonetta took the spotlight off that real quick. The initial response to the Corrins was extremely negative (except for Etika).
I was pretty positive right off the bat, and I suspect anyone who'd been following the constant flow of fates publicity was probably good with her (and maybe even him), especially after seeing the moveset Corrin got :3

Dr. Buni

I think Smash NX will probably have no more than 5 new characters at first, but they'll keep adding extra ones as DLC for as long as they can. I expect Wolf and Ice Climbers to be added back, Inkling as the more obvious newcomer, a Rhythm Heaven character (which I still think should be Tibby with a moveset made up entirely out of references to the various RH games and characters), and one more character to coincide with whatever NX project Nintendo is working/co-developing (like Terra if the rumored Final Fantasy 6 NX remake is true).

What I definitely think has zero chance of happening is Smash NX having no extra characters. I really, REALLY don't see that happening.
They might do that, but I am curious to see how they will keep the game balanced (or kinda balanced) with so many characters.

Tibby could work, since he is now kind of the series mascot. Though I still think the series mascot are the monkeys, half the mini games have monkeys on it for some reason.

Anyways, besides Inkling and a RH rep, I would really like to have Dixie Kong ^^

Vena

They might do that, but I am curious to see how they will keep the game balanced (or kinda balanced) with so many characters.

Tibby could work, since he is now kind of the series mascot. Though I still think the series mascot are the monkeys, half the mini games have monkeys on it for some reason.

Anyways, besides Inkling and a RH rep, I would really like to have Dixie Kong ^^

With so many characters, part of the balance just ends up coming from intrinsic match-up variety and complexities and mis-matches in styles. Its basically impossible to make a completely broken character at this point so long as its not something like Bayo and built completely outside of the rules of other characters.

The strong DLC, probably, in Cloud still gets completely demolished by anything with a good edge game, for instance.

Neoxon

Etika's reaction to Corrin was rather refreshing, not immediately jumping to hate him/her. Then again, he joined the Fire Emblem Hype Train by then.

Dr. Buni

With so many characters, part of the balance just ends up coming from intrinsic match-up variety and complexities and mis-matches in styles. Its basically impossible to make a completely broken character at this point so long as its not something like Bayo and built completely outside of the rules of other characters.

The strong DLC, probably, in Cloud still gets completely demolished by anything with a good edge game, for instance.
That makes sense :)

Smash 4 was balanced over the course of almost two years of patches, from the janky 3DS launch balance to where we are today, as arguably the most balanced game in the series.

So I imagine the NX port will have a similar history of improving over a year or so. Although it comes with a big advantage of having Smash 4 to work from for balance, while other games in the series had to start with brand new balance. But being a new experience allows them to make more drastic changes if they need to (like new animations or entirely new moves)

Top Bottom