• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

I went online for the first time in months the other day and spent 13 matches straight losing to a Mega Man main, I can believe that he's pretty good.

I also believe that For Glory's insistence on flat stages is rich creamy bullshit.

Speaking of which, the first batch of DLC characters have been in the game so long, sometimes I forget they were DLC.

I actually forget just yesterday that Lucas was DLC while thinking about the roster.

Tryhards are tryhards, players that live and die for the tier lists, that will play the new hot thing and argue about character viability without knowing how it actually works.

I don't want to get into tier wars, but Mega Man has gone from mid to high thanks to Kamemushi, and the character didn't receive any buffs. You can also say that tiers only are consistent at competitive level play and under certain conditions. It's based on tournament results, not character potential, which changes.

of all characters, I'm not surprised that mega man is one that it took longer for people to get good with. It feels so weird having pellets instead of melee hits for some A moves that my brain was totally lost at how spacing should feel with him for ages (then again I play pikachu the most, where two of my primary weapons are my face and butt, so I'm biased). He's projectile heavy but doesn't really thrive by camping. There's also the slick footstool tricks, which people might've shrugged off as too hard to land

The tiers as reflected here are also definitely slightly voted based on perceived potential even if only by some panelists. Otherwise, I feel like pikachu would be a lot lower, and ryu maybe slightly lower. Those two ratings definitely seem to be based on ideas like "it'll be terrifying if trela gets more consistent/other ryus level up" and "pikachu still has potential and esam's just kind of been choking lately cause pikachu's weight and inconsistent kill options make the volatility worse."

I also believe that For Glory's insistence on flat stages is rich creamy bullshit.

I really hope that one day omega mode switchs to a combo of a stage hazard toggle and a "less crazy layout" toggle that varies from FD to battlefield to maybe other simple layouts based on whichever stage.

Speaking of which, the first batch of DLC characters have been in the game so long, sometimes I forget they were DLC.

I actually forget just yesterday that Lucas was DLC while thinking about the roster.

I keep forgetting mewtwo's dlc cause i got him free for buying both games and haven't bought any other dlc.

There are now two characters in between Pit and Dark Pit on the tier list? That seems strange.

This might be a product of how this list is made by averaging a bunch of others. The changes between them are...arrows and side-b, i think?
IIRC pit's arrows are better for edgeguarding and the buffed up dark pit sideb wasn't as useful as people thought at first.

Nintendo's official tournaments (like the recent one with kids) use a stage list that's perfectly acceptable, so it's not like they don't know what stages are tournament proper or not.

FD
BF
Town and City
Smashville
Dreamland
Lylat

It's not complicated. That list is a pretty safe list with a good amount of variety without anything weird. Maybe throw Duck Hunt in there as well, although I'm personally not a fan of that stage in competitive.

GenG3000

I used to main MM two years ago and I had to stop playing him because keeping up with the best players required insane setups that I was not able to pull off and got soured and salty with the character. It's a very creative character, like Toon Link, so it was a matter of falling in hands of the right player(s).

Toon Link is another character with crazy mindgames that I recently learned of and experienced first hand: footstool dair combos, bomb juggling and a projectile game that's just simply nuts.

I love seeing how the meta develops by observing tier lists, but what I love more is the scenario where a low tier character beats a top tier one. What can I say, I love underdogs.

PK Gaming

It's sad that tryhards will use these tiers for character whoring. It's all about the matchups.

It's 2016 and you're still going to use deprecated terms like tier whore?

I don't even fully disagree with you (though tier lists are based on both character potential & tournament results. See Corrin's placement's). But pre-emptively dumping on a group of player seems pointless. Let people use who they want to use. If little billy uses top tier characters exclusively to win, then good on him. If big john uses low tier characters exclusively then good on him too. There's no "right" way to play Smash.

There are now two characters in between Pit and Dark Pit on the tier list? That seems strange.

Yeah it's weird. Probably because it was decided democratically. In reality, Pit is just straight up better than Dark Pit.

I love seeing how the meta develops by observing tier lists, but what I love more is the scenario where a low tier character beats a top tier one. What can I say, I love underdogs.

Dabuz tends to do this often with Olimar because literally nobody knows how to fight that character.

Metal B

He did get buffed a lot, he just went nowhere.

I feel like Ganondorf is kinda like Zelda in that he's just a poorly designed character that really needs more of an overhaul than just buffs.
I think you're right. Ganondorf is a concept (extreme read heavy character, which kills opponents in three hits), that Sakurai wants to get right, but fails through his similarity to Captain Falcon. He really needs to rethink him completely, if the concept has any chance of working.
Zelda is similar stuck in limbo, because she is supposed to be the opposite of Shiek. I guess, they figured out the limitation of the 3DS (to make character transformation work) to late and only had time to put time into one of the two. Zelda got the short stick, while Shiek worked great. At least in this regard they are mirror images ...

GenG3000

It's 2016 and you're still going to use deprecated terms like tier whore?

I don't even fully disagree with you (though tier lists are based on both character potential & tournament results. See Corrin's placement's). But pre-emptively dumping on a group of player seems pointless. Let people use who they want to use. If little billy uses top tier characters exclusively to win, then good on him. If big john uses low tier characters exclusively then good on him too. There's no "right" way to play Smash.

Because it's 2016 and it's still a thing? I just talked specifically about this guy that goes "lololo X character is so bad and useless" and then goes to say "yea X was always gud", without knowing how that chart was made and what are the implications since it makes character discussion so pointless. I respect those who want to win and push the game forward in their own way, my rant was not against them.

I've been browsing Smashboards since 2005 and I still fail to see why tiers are that important for community beyond telling you which are the players characters currently dominating in tournaments. These charts never tell you the true story and they are never absolute, to the point of each region having its own tier list based on its top players focusing on totally different characters and strategies. They lack precise information like matchup info (because top characters could have bad matchup against mids and lows) and also contributes creating prejudices against certain characters. If anything, it helps top characters to be played more by the best players, thus improving their metagame, while the other characters develop slowly and need months, or years, to catch up in tech and strategies.

Each character deserves due respect, even more in this game, where the players' abilities are so evident regardless the character.

But again, that's my stance and I'm probably alone on this, so yeah.

Because it's 2016 and it's still a thing? I just talked specifically about this guy that goes "lololo X character is so bad and useless" and then goes to say "yea X was always gud", without knowing how that chart was made and what are the implications since it makes character discussion so pointless. I respect those who want to win and push the game forward in their own way, my rant was not against them.

I've been browsing Smashboards since 2005 and I still fail to see why tiers are that important for community beyond telling you which are the players characters currently dominating in tournaments. These charts never tell you the true story and they are never absolute, to the point of each region having its own tier list based on its top players focusing on totally different characters and strategies. They lack precise information like matchup info (because top characters could have bad matchup against mids and lows) and also contributes creating prejudices against certain characters. If anything, it helps top characters to be played more by the best players, thus improving their metagame, while the other characters develop slowly and need months, or years, to catch up in tech and strategies.

Each character deserves due respect, even more in this game, where the players' abilities are so evident regardless the character.

Actually I'm on board with everything you said. Rings true for how I feel as well.

Also, I don't really actively hate on people who exclusively play top tier characters, but you'll never find me rooting for them. Watching what people can do with the rest of the cast is much more exciting to me, and fortunately I get to see a lot of that since Smash 4 has such a variety of decent characters.

PK Gaming

I actually like Dark Pit's side special more than Pit's.

I think Pit's voice is a bit annoying too, I prefer Dark Pit's voice.

A lot of people do. In fact, tons of people were claiming that Dark Pit overshadowed Pit after the Side B buff. But the truth is, that move is pretty mediocre in high level play, and Pit's arrows are way better than Dark Pit's. When you also add in the fact that Pit's Side tilt is objectively better than Dark Pit's, then you pretty much have no reason to pick Dark Pit at higher levels (aside from liking him more, of course). Here's a good example of what I mean:

Tweek (Cloud) vs Earth (Pit)

Earth completely wrecks the shit out of Cloud, and Pit's arrows were pretty important.

My bad, I completely misread your post. I thought you were dumping on people who choose to play the best characters. In any case, yeah can't stand arrogant, myopic frauds who can't think on their own. These types of players never truly get good to begin with.

I don't think tier lists are the end all be all, but they're nonetheless a pretty important baseline of the metagame. A rough snapshot of what the metagame might look like. And they're important to consider if you want to play in tournaments. You're obviously going to want to practice against the top tiers, but you might also consider investing in a lower tier character because people aren't prepared to fight them. But yeah, people who treat them like the bible are obnoxious.

I think you're right. Ganondorf is a concept (extreme read heavy character, which kills opponents in three hits), that Sakurai wants to get right, but fails through his similarity to Captain Falcon. He really needs to rethink him completely, if the concept has any chance of working.
Zelda is similar stuck in limbo, because she is supposed to be the opposite of Shiek. I guess, they figured out the limitation of the 3DS (to make character transformation work) to late and only had time to put time into one of the two. Zelda got the short stick, while Shiek worked great. At least in this regard they are mirror images ...

Speak of the devil, Relax Alax just posted a video on he would fix Ganondorf.

Ganondorf is going to face negativity no matter what happens to his moves / animations

"We need more faithful; decloned Ganondorf" vs "I like grampa falcondorf, any change is unacceptable"

Like, sorry Captain Ganondorf fans. Let's put it this way: There were a lot of people that enjoyed playing as Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur and yet we still had to give them up and move on. So really I think the people who like playing as Ganondorf in his current state should do the same if they were to ever declone him.

There's also the fact that Mario got his tornado replaced by FLUDD, all of Pit's specials (though similar in function) got reworked from Brawl to Smash 4; Project M Wario got Shoulder Bash, and nobody complained about those changes. Why should Ganondorf be an exception to that form of reception?

Ganondorf is going to face negativity no matter what happens to his moves / animations

"We need more faithful; decloned Ganondorf" vs "I like grampa falcondorf, any change is unacceptable"

67379551.jpg

Like, sorry Captain Ganondorf fans. Let's put it this way: There were a lot of people that enjoyed playing as Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur and yet we still had to give them up and move on. So really I think the people who like playing as Ganondorf in his current state should do the same if they were to ever declone him.

The fact that is, Ganondorf is a slow, stiff, and fundamentally flawed character who will go nowhere unless something major happens to him.

jnWake

Wizard Ganondorf from that mod looks really fun to play. Seems like a magic based version of Peach. I'd glady have something like that in the game but would like if they added some Twilight Princess and Wind Waker stuff too.

I wish that for a newer Smash characters finally got a big rework. I love Smash 4 but many of the older characters (as in, introduced in 64 or Melee) could use a big revision.

Wizard Ganondorf in that mod falls into the same trap a lot of Brawl mods do by making tons of really flashy and elaborate animations.

Nobody in "real" Smash does any of that. Because Ganondorf flipping his opponents around and whatever in a 4 second long throw animation is just a giant red flag saying "PUNCH ME" in anything that's not 1v1.

I'd say Mewtwo has the flashiest throws in the series (forward and up), and even those really aren't as elaborate or long. Although as a kid, Mewtwo's forward throw blew my mind because of how complicated it seemed (and because it seems clearly inspired by the movie).

jnWake

I liked the floating mechanics. Like moving while charging the energy ball. By the way, having a tennis projectile would be such a crappy move it impresses me the guy from the video actually wants that. I mean, there's a reason Dedede's gordos aren't very good outside of ledge traps.

There's stuff they could do to Ganondorf to make him still feel like his old self, while losing most/all of Falcon's roots.

Add a charge to Warlock Punch. So if you tap it, it's classic Warlock Punch, but hold the button down and Ganondorf charges an energy attack. You wouldn't be able to hold the charge or anything like that, it would be more like Mega Man's side smash.

Down Special can be that slam attack. It's thematically similar to Wizard's Foot, and "close enough" in function to not be a total redo. Pit's Down Special is similar, in that it's an entirely new move, but is similar in function to Pit's old Down Special, just with enough changes that it feels like a new move.

His Side Special is already fine.

I have no idea what to do with his Up Special. Besides a hover or whatever, but I'm not a huge fan of that because it feels like too much recovery for Ganondorf. And it take a little away from Peach's gimmick.

And they don't necessarily have to change Ganondorf, either. If they change some of Falcon's moves, Ganondorf then has a unique move. Toon Link and Roy both had this. Link's Dash Attack changed, and Marth's neutral special changed, leaving Toon Link and Roy with unique animations/functions for those, despite not changing. I think Falcon's Down Throw is a good example of this. Falcon's a strong dude, but one handedly chucking an enemy down into a slam fits Ganondorf a lot more, and Falcon is generic enough that they could make up whatever as a replacement Down Throw.

I'm not a fan of making Ganondorf all magic. There's a certain symmetry with the three Triforce holders in Smash. Link is gadgets and a sword, Zelda is magic, and Ganondorf is brutal close combat. That fits their Triforce roles perfectly, and giving Ganondorf a magic based move set loses that balance between the three.

Ganondorf is a really awkward and tricky character to fix. Because there's a certain nostalgia to his clone origins. And he doesn't use a consistent attack system in his three games. But he's an incredibly important character to his series, and there's a feeling that he's "above" hanging with characters like Doctor Mario and Falco, who are fairly minor characters. He should have the same care as Bowser, Mewtwo and Dedede. But he doesn't. Despite how important he is to Zelda history, and Zelda is the third biggest series in Smash (not by character count, by series size).

It's why I'm such a big fan of bringing Ganon into Smash, because that gives them a way out, in a way. It still leaves Ganondorf a mess, but at least Zelda has a proper villain they can make a proper move set for, and Ganondorf can stop being one of the main villains of Smash Bros, despite being a semi-clone of a race care driver turned action hero.

PK Gaming

Ganondorf is a really awkward and tricky character to fix. Because there's a certain nostalgia to his clone origins. And he doesn't use a consistent attack system in his three games. But he's an incredibly important character to his series, and there's a feeling that he's "above" hanging with characters like Doctor Mario and Falco, who are fairly minor characters. He should have the same care as Bowser, Mewtwo and Dedede. But he doesn't. Despite how important he is to Zelda history, and Zelda is the third biggest series in Smash (not by character count, by series size).

He really isn't difficult to fix though. The nostalgia you're referring to is mostly limited to Brawl because Melee Ganondorf sure as heck didn't move and fight like an old man. But you're right, 0 effort or care was put into him in Smash 4—Not that I blame them, Twilight Princess Ganondorf is terrible— But if he has to be carried over in the next game, the least they could do is give him energy ball attack, which is arguably his signature move. Also i'm not sure you're so averse to him floating; Floating is literally his thing, and it wouldn't have to function like Peach's (remember Pit's old Up B? Think that). It'd also (presumably) help with his recovery, and we all know he needs it.

Also did you just diss Falco. He's like the only tolerable Star Fox character i'll wreck you.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Regarding that mod, I don't really imagine Ganondorf going around floating a bit off the ground like Mewtwo. He's always depicted walking around on his feet. Floating for an Up-B move I can imagine since that's what he does in OoT. But at all times? Nope.

Ganon can get in when they get over Ridley's size hangups.
Unfortunately, Miitomo has now confirmed that Ridley is no bigger than a Mii's shoulder. He's now too small(!) for Smash.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The problem with smash is that fast, mobile characters are generally more advantageous and are favored by the mechanics unless you have a really good gimmick.

Also, big characters that hit hard always tend to have the "balance" baggage (slow, big target, not as nimble) which rather than make them balanced, ironically puts them at a disadvantage instead.

Makes you wonder. What if Smash has a "defense" stat too to mitigate the problem? Increase or decrease damage received. I mean sure, I guess weight class works that way, but still.

Ganon can get in when they get over Ridley's size hangups.

Ganon scales down pretty well. Big blue boar Ganon is like two Toon Link's tall in his own games, that aren't Link Between Worlds where he's like 5 Toon Links tall.

latest

Looks fine at normal Link height

The problem with smash is that fast, mobile characters are generally more advantageous and are favored by the mechanics unless you have a really good gimmick.

Also, big characters that hit hard always tend to have the "balance" baggage (slow, big target, not as nimble) which rather than make them balanced, ironically puts them at a disadvantage instead.

Makes you wonder. What if Smash has a "defense" stat too to mitigate the problem? Increase or decrease damage received. I mean sure, I guess weight class works that way, but still.

The only top tier heavy in the series had basically infinite recovery and silly projectile shenanigans (Snake)

DK has a decent balance between weight and speed as well. As do Wario and Ike, who are on the heavier side.

Richie

Been playing a ridiculous amount of Smash Run lately.

If the hypothetical NX remaster/up-port becomes true, I'd kill for that mode to be playable in local/online multiplayer on the big screen.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If an NX version is on the table I'd rather they use the 3DS version's version of Classic than the Wii U's one.

I personally love both and don't really get the criticism for the Wii U one. I actually enjoy most of Smash 4's solo modes.

Also YAS @ Smash Run for NX. All that potential music... *swoon*

jnWake

Rage is one of the reasons why heavies are a bit more viable in Smash 4. But yeah, in a game with mobility as high as Smash it's though making heavy slow characters good. Dedede for example seems very fairly designed but he's still not very good mainly thanks to his size. Like the only realistic buff I can see for him is making Gordos harder to reflect.

PK Gaming

Rage is one of the reasons why heavies are a bit more viable in Smash 4. But yeah, in a game with mobility as high as Smash it's though making heavy slow characters good. Dedede for example seems very fairly designed but he's still not very good mainly thanks to his size. Like the only realistic buff I can see for him is making Gordos harder to reflect.

Buffing his Gordos wouldn't really fix the character. All I see it doing is making him more irritating to fight.

I think reducing his jump squat (the time it takes for him to jump off the ground), cutting the start up on some of his moves (his attacks are ridiculously slow, ESPECIALLY back air which was made 10x worse for no reason) and improving his air speed would make him a good character.

Unlike the other heavies, he has some seriously bad normal attacks.

Zyrox

Yea Dedede is unfortunately not very good. Still play him because I love him though (and boy is hitting his F-Smash satisfying. Makes the hundred times where you got bodied for trying it absolutely worth it). At least his taunt game is top tier.

Kjellson

I just saw a random picture from Melee with the Ice Climbers in it, and realized that I almost had completely forgot they were in Smash.

The thing with Ice Climbers for me, is that this just feels like a one game "pause" on using them, and they'll be right back in the next time around

Versus the three cut Pokemon, which are likely never being added again. Unless Pichu gets in based entirely on how easy he is to remake, much like Doc.

Top Bottom