• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

The only time someone is actually using the regular tourneys now is when a Twitch streamer does them. You'll see when they first look at the list that none of them have any players, and then they get full or get some people depending on the streamer.

Wasn't tourneys the mode that teased the idea of being like Mario Kart 8 Communities only to turn out complete crap? because Smash with a GAF community like MK8 was all I wanted.

Tourneys were a super hyped feature prior to its release.

Then we saw they weren't what we wanted at all (you can't even change the rules, it's either 4-player matches all the time or 2-player lobbies).

Regular Tourneys will not be missed. Their most useful feature was to check if you were in FG Hell.

Congrats.

What chars do you play online if I may ask?

At first I was only playing my main and had a 85%+ win rate, but then I spread myself thin because I wanted to get better with other characters.

I have a philosophy that I've kept since I thought Smash 64 was an Aptril Fools joke back in the 90s when reading Tips&tricks magazine

"Only play the characters you like personally and find a way to get good with them"

So my most played to least played:

King DeDeDe, Mario, Mewtwo, Lucas, Cloud, Little Mac, Bowser.

Dr. Buni

At first I was only playing my main and had a 85%+ win rate, but then I spread myself thin because I wanted to get better with other characters.

I have a philosophy that I've kept since I thought Smash 64 was an Aptril Fools joke back in the 90s when reading Tips&tricks magazine

"Only play the characters you like personally and find a way to get good with them"

So my most played to least played:

King DeDeDe, Mario, Mewtwo, Lucas, Cloud, Little Mac, Bowser.
Cool! I like that philosophy a lot :) Which is why I play a few characters that are considered bottom tier by the top players.

FSPQCGi.gif

Can we talk about how cool Dark Samus would have been as a playable character? Too bad SSB4 was basically her only chance.

Dark Samus is/was the perfect Metroid rep and the perfect Metroid villain to add to Smash. No size issues. A perfectly workable design, animations and move set that would make a totally unique character that wasn't just a Samus semi-clone. And a female villain that isn't just an alt skin of Bowser Jr!

Look at that idle animation where Dark Samus just lurches there. Not even close to anything Samus would do. And in that gif, alone, are perfect side and down smashes.

Heck, let her have Meta Ridley as a Final Smash and let him join the party. Fully playable giant boss monster Final Smash, like Giga Bowser.

Our only hope at this point is... Sylux I guess? Ehh... I guess he'd be alright, but he needs to stop making random cameos and start actually doing something worthwhile. He's been teased for 10 years now, but he's gone nowhere.

But, ironically, the character that is a literal clone in her own series has the most potential for a unique move set compared to Sylux. Who is just Samus with electric morph ball bombs and an electric laser beam thing.

Zebei

we should have got Dark Smaus in Brawl instead of samus with no weapons since apparently we couldnt get Ridley.

Now both DS's abd Rudley's chances are dead. Yay

That AT of Dark Samus is the biggest tease, probably the best one in the game at how well it represents the character as well as packing a variety of moves.

Dr. Buni

FSPQCGi.gif

Can we talk about how cool Dark Samus would have been as a playable character? Too bad SSB4 was basically her only chance.
I love Dark Samus' animations (both in the Prime games and in Smash 4). After Ridley she is (was?) my most wanted Metroid rep. Being the main villain in the well received Prime series should have warranted her in Smash, but I guess not.

I love Dark Samus' animations (both in the Prime games and in Smash 4). After Ridley she is (was?) my most wanted Metroid rep. Being the main villain in the well received Prime series should have warranted her in Smash, but I guess not.

Problem is, she has no real future considering her character and story is essentially over.

IF we ever see more actual Metroid Prime games, the primary antagonist will be Sylux, courtesy of our lord and savior Tanabe.

Not having a future hasn't stopped characters from getting in before (ROB, Sheik, Duck Hunt, Ness, Lucas).

And I don't think Dark Samus needs to be gone for good. It's a video game, they can always use video game logic to resurrect her. Make up some excuse like Metroid Prime is just magic space energy and it can manifest in whatever form it wants and use whatever energy source it wants, it just happened to pick Phazon last time, but now it wants to use Space Uranium Part 2 instead of Space Uranium 1.

In other news, Snorlax can now use his move from Smash in his own game!

Dr. Buni

Problem is, she has no real future considering her character and story is essentially over.

IF we ever see more actual Metroid Prime games, the primary antagonist will be Sylux, courtesy of our lord and savior Tanabe.
That is a fair point, but it is sad that a character only gets in Smash now if they have a "future" (unless they are a retro addition like Duck Hunt Duo, I guess). Smash used to be the history of Nintendo games, but it is not quite like that anymore, it seems.

Sylux isn't all that exciting because we don't know much about them yet. We don't what they want, we don't even know if Sylux is a he or a she. Sylux has an interesting and distinct design, though, so maybe they have potential for being a fun neat addition to Smash.

Be kind of cool if Sylux was actually one of Samus' friends from her GF days who was jealous of how much attention she was getting due to her magic bird powers, so this lady decided to make her own powers and stole a suit and decided to make Samus' life miserable.

So she'd be like the anti-Samus. Except super crazy, violent and evil.

Dr. Buni

^ That shall be my head canon until Sylux's actual background is revealed.

On sort of related note, it will be weird to have (mainline) Metroid Prime games without Metroid Prime herself being the villain.

Golnei

My position on Sylux in Smash is unchanged - without considerable expansion and alteration, I can't see them making a very interesting addition; the potential offered by their current nondescript nature means nothing unless capitalised upon.

Ryce

Not having a future hasn't stopped characters from getting in before (ROB, Sheik, Duck Hunt, Ness, Lucas).
To be fair, Sheik and Lucas were relevant during the planning of their respective debut Smash games, and R.O.B. and Duck Hunt are intentionally surprising retro characters. The only two not-quite-retro, not-quite-relevant newcomers I can recall in the entirety of the series are Ness and Marth, and they're both lead characters from multi-installment series.

I know there aren't any "rules" when it comes to character inclusion, but I have a hard time anticipating side characters who haven't been used in a while (like Dark Samus or K. Rool). I feel like those sorts of characters need another appearance under their belt before seriously being considered.

FSPQCGi.gif

To be honest, I feel like Metroid Prime remastered is a more likely future entry in the franchise than a new 3d metroid. If that remaster turns out to be a remastered trilogy, that might be an excuse to introduce her.

PK Gaming

FSPQCGi.gif

I was going to post about how awesome of a metroid rep she'd be , but I didn't want to kick Ridley fans while they're down.

But yeah, Dark Samus would be a legitimately great character choice. "Too similar to Samus" honestly doesn't apply when it would be trivial to differentiate the 2. (Like having her roll be teleports. Man, that would be the coolest)

The great part about that special Smash presentation two years ago or whenever it was was that it nixed the hopes of both Dark Samus and Ridley (unless you were nuts) so it was immediately apparent no new Metroid character would be added.

I always get a sick pleasure out of deconfirmations via Assist Trophies.

I mean, is it a coincidence that the Waluigi AT had the two best updates for both Brawl and 4?

Dr. Buni

I remember people saying Sakurai was unprofessional or whatever for his attitude when revealing the Waluigi AT. I thought it was pretty funny, but then again I don't care for the character (and I am not ashamed of admitting I got a bit salty when Ridley wasn't playable, but it was my fault in believing Metroid would ever be properly represented in Smash).

On a different note, I am checking the speedruns from the last Summer Games Done Quick, currently on the Super Mario RPG one and I am thinking how cool Geno could have been as an actual playable character in Smash.
Although Mallow is the best character.
. He is visually unique and the potential for an unique moveset is there. Plus, he has a fanbase.

Character-chat aside, I do actually wonder if a smash NX would have redesigned menu, aka something better than the horrid, hard-to-navigate mess on Wii-U and 3DS :s

It's not hard to navigate.
I gave a room with 5 gamers a challenge to find the game mode 'trophy rush' on my 3DS and started them off on the main menu. It took them over 5 minutes working together to work it out.

Also, if I've been away from the game for any length of time I genuinely have to think about where training, replays and records are before I go find them. I honestly can't think of any game menu system I can make that claim with as I can usually find my way to whatever in a game I've played before without any real conscious thought :/

I gave a room with 5 gamers a challenge to find the game mode 'trophy rush' on my 3DS and started them off on the main menu. It took them over 5 minutes working together to work it out.

Also, if I've been away from the game for any length of time I genuinely have to think about where training, replays and records are before I go find them. I honestly can't think of any game menu system I can make that claim with as I can usually find my way to whatever in a game I've played before without any real conscious thought :/
I'm sorry for your poor memory.

PK Gaming

Gotta agree with Geminosity, the Smash U menu is ridiculously unintuitive. Why is there are a "Games & More?" tab? Why does the game make you choose between Solo & Group mode options immediately after? Shouldn't Solo & Group be a choice AFTER you decide what mode to play (or why not do what Brawl did???) Custom and Vault need to be in their own sections, not in the Games & More tab. Why is training mode represented by a relatively tiny icon?

I can thumb through 64/Melee/Brawl's menu in my sleep, which I can't say the same about Smash 4. It's bad design.

Gotta agree with Geminosity, the Smash U menu is ridiculously unintuitive. Why is there are a "Games & More?" tab? Why does the game make you choose between Solo & Group mode options immediately after? Shouldn't Solo & Group be a choice AFTER you decide what mode to play (or why not do what Brawl did???) Custom and Vault need to be in their own sections, not in the Games & More tab. Why is training mode represented by a relatively tiny icon?

I can thumb through 64/Melee/Brawl's menu in my sleep, which I can't say the same about Smash 4. It's bad design.
Yeah, that's what makes it so strange. The previous entries in the series had fairly serviceable menus so it's unusual that they upturned the boat in the latest one.

I've also lost count of how many local multiplayer events I've been at where I had to help casual players who've set themselves to CPU while trying to change their playername XD

I can understand that you'd be sorry for making something up, your apology is accepted :p

I'm actually baffled that you're defending the smash bros menus and trying to claim they're not a usability nightmare.
All I said was that they aren't hard to navigate. You're the one throwing out the hyperbole.

All I said was that they aren't hard to navigate. You're the one throwing out the hyperbole.

Fair enough, I do tend towards hyperbole when posting admittedly. It's a habit I try to keep in check but not always with much success :p
Unless you mean the 5 people taking over 5 minutes thing. I straight up did that. It was mostly because I was curious if it was just me struggling to find that game mode or if it was a more universal problem :3

Top Bottom