• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

SSB 3DS/Wii U's menus are a terrible clusterfuck, WTF happened here, Michiko?

I mean, Brawl and Uprising have the same general aesthetics, but let's look how neat and tighty they are in comparison to Smash 4's.

hqdefault.jpg

What I like about Brawl's menus is how clear everything is. Everything you need to know is in clear sight. Another thing I appreciate is how the more important modes are emphasized in size. Obviously the multiplayer and singleplayer modes are the core experience of the game and the modes you'll pay attention to the most, so they have the largest icons while the more minor stuff like the Vault and Options are smaller and located in the corner.

A similar thing with Kid Icarus Uprising's menu, where the Solo and Together modes have the bigger icons.

1-00000.png

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah Brawl and Uprising's menus were great. Apparently Sakurai's wife made them right? She didn't return in 4?

Ahnez

I agree SSB4 menu is way more confusing than those in past smashes/uprising

Its not like its hard to find things on it, but the past games were just easier

Yeah Brawl and Uprising's menus were great. Apparently Sakurai's wife made them right? She didn't return in 4?
She did, but for whatever reason she produced what we have now :/

I agree SSB4 menu is way more confusing than those in past smashes/uprising

Its not like its hard to find things on it, but the past games were just easier
Outside of Trophy Rush on 3DS I guess I agree that it's more of it being a hassle to find stuff than being 'hard'.
It's still full of really weird/stupid decisions though.

On a tangentially related topic: I don't recall but, did the previous smash games remember your time/stock settings or did it reset like in smash 4 every time you turn the game off?

I will never understand why those settings aren't saved..
As a player I agree and it seems baffling.
...as a dev who takes their game to public events, I've seen people put match settings to really stupid numbers which I'd hate anyone playing it afterwards having to deal with, not only on my own game but also on the smash bros setups (one couple were playing 2v2 teams against AI with it set to something like 99 stocks)

99% of my timed matches are because I forget that it doesn't save settings
Same XD

What is absolutely hilarious is that winning rules cannot save, but skin selection can, at least on 3DS.

Time And Score being default is the one thing I can't really wrap my head around, I mean, sure, it prevents losers from getting kicked out early and prevents camping, but it also basically removes sense of progression from the match and heavily promotes tactical kill stealing, which is not cool in my books. The latter is also pushed by the fact you can see everyone's percentages precisely. So no, sorry, every timed match will end with me resetting the game.

Anyway Smash would really benefit from Worms-like scheme saving (hammers on high, bombs on low, time on 5 minutes), but I guess this is too much to understand for someone focusing on reinforcing a "particular experience". Eh.

I like how almost half of the top tiers are DLC characters

I think that's 100% unintentional, just the design of the DLC characters. I don't feel like it was a scam to get more money for them, considering the characters that are top tier are 4 DLC characters that tons of people would have bought anyway (and Mewtwo was free!)

Mewtwo being a top tier brings a tear to my eye. Talk about a comeback story from Smash 4's release, and especially since Melee. Revenge for being cut in Brawl.

It's also nice that the mascot of Nintendo is finally a top tier. It just feels right.

I don't agree with combining Marth and Lucina.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I always get a sick pleasure out of deconfirmations via Assist Trophies.

I mean, is it a coincidence that the Waluigi AT had the two best updates for both Brawl and 4?

89sEysf.png

:)

Remember Casualty Mondays?

Good times.

Those days were great. I will never forget Skull Kid thread for long time.

For you, the day Sakurai deconfirmed your favourite character was one of the more depressing days of your life.
But for Sakurai... it was monday.

Dm1QpOl.jpg

lol

Neoxon

I like how almost half of the top tiers are DLC characters

I think that's 100% unintentional, just the design of the DLC characters. I don't feel like it was a scam to get more money for them, considering the characters that are top tier are 4 DLC characters that tons of people would have bought anyway (and Mewtwo was free!)

Mewtwo being a top tier brings a tear to my eye. Talk about a comeback story from Smash 4's release, and especially since Melee. Revenge for being cut in Brawl.

It's also nice that the mascot of Nintendo is finally a top tier. It just feels right.

I don't agree with combining Marth and Lucina.
I'm still not entirely sold on Marth/Lucina being ranked that high.

That said, I'm glad that Bayonetta's still kicking ass after the nerfs.

Mushroom Kingdom II was a GBA stage, not a NES/SNES stage

From Super Mario USA (or alternatively Super Mario Advance)

I knew it. The timing of the stage with the release of Mario Advance was too coincidental, and making a stage based on All Stars didn't seem likely.

Our first GBA stage.

also
The music is “Super Mario USA.” The NES one. It’s a faithful recreation.

Errr... the song on Mushroom Kingdom II was a direct rip from the NES game, not a recreation. Unless they literally had to recreate the original MIDI or something, yet made it sound identical to the original.

Japanese opinion on tires don exits

EWOyLeF.png

(rows aren't in any particular order)

Every third party in the game made the list!

Not much different from what an American might make, although Sonic is way higher, Lucas is above Ness (who is nowhere to be found). Pit is also way high.

Also Zero is getting into the Guinness Book of World Records for longest eSport win streak and M2K for most eSport results.

PK Gaming

Sonic being that high up makes sense when you consider KEN(No Sonic player)

He's a monster. On a completely different level from American Sonic players.

How does anyone hit anything with Lucario. His moves have such elaborate start up animations, I find it hard to actually land hits, even on CPUs.

The game actually tracks your hit accuracy with characters and it says Lucario is my least accurate character.

But I get why he's high tier. Aura is ridiculous.

Interesting how Link and Olimar are that high up. Who's pushing them there?

Link: japanese player named T, and I think at least one other.

Olimar: japan's Shuton and I think at least one other. Also, Dabuz busting him out as a secondary lately.

I had the impression that Murabito would be higher because Ranai.

I think a couple of the dlc character matchups have made life extra-hard for the guy. I'm not sure if he's won anything major in japan this year either. Aba might also be discounting 3rd@genesis + 5th@evo as results of matchup inexperience.

jnWake

Greninja's fast, has a somewhat good recovery, a good projectile, side B to escape combos and can do insane combos. However, it's also kinda predictable since it doesn't have that many different approach tools.

Pretty happy with these mods to my character select screen.

This looks like online. Out of curiosity, is the other player required to have the same mod?

Yes I never played online. My internet is not good for PC online play, nevermind on a console. Feel free to shame.

FSLink

Banned
It's kinda surreal seeing the FE character block extending the same length as the Pokemon one.

Pretty happy with how I organized it overall. Tried to keep the Sakurai created characters together (KI and Kirby), and have characters of the same series on the same row.

This looks like online. Out of curiosity, is the other player required to have the same mod?

Yes I never played online. My internet is not good for PC online play, nevermind on a console. Feel free to shame.

Nope, unless it's like a specific stage or character mod (like putting in Yoshi's Story from Melee or something silly like Ganondorf with Witch Time)

Stuff like skins/music just shows up on mine, the other person won't see it unless they have them as well.

I can't imagine a GUI mod would cause issues online.

Other than maybe triggering the ban system for tampering with files, but I would doubt it checks GUI files.

Nah, at worst it causes a desync and you just get kicked off online for a minute or so. Nothing huge. I can only see that happening if you mod in items somehow online.

Golnei

I wonder if Smash 5 will reference Nintendo's mobile games.

Pokemon Go trophies and Super Mario Run music, for example

I'm not sure about Pokemon Go, considering the circumstances of its ownership and remove from the rest of the internal Nintendo mobile initiative. The Pokemon spinoffs and larger media presence haven't usually been that well-represented in the series compared to the main games, have they?

As for the other internally developed titles, I think there's a reasonable chance of some references. At the very least, I could see them doing things like using model rips of legacy FE characters created for the mobile game for trophies, without specifying their origin beyond the original game.

(Also, will Super Mario Run actually have new music, or is it just NSMB stuff?)

Or a character from FE:Mobile

Anna will probably be added as a newcomer with her design from the mobile game, and Emma and Shade's default costumes will likely reflect their starting classes from the mobile game, since Cipher hasn't provided a consistent appearance for them. Itsuki and the FE15 avatar alongside them will be sufficient to represent the series' presence both on dedicated hardware and mobile.

Anna will probably be added as a newcomer with her design from the mobile game, and Emma and Shade's default costumes will likely reflect their starting classes from the mobile game, since Cipher hasn't provided a consistent appearance for them. Itsuki and the FE15 avatar alongside them will be sufficient to represent the series' presence both on dedicated hardware and mobile.

Nah, that would require them to make more than one female fire emblem amiibo and that's not happening. Lucina will forever be the only one :p

Golnei

Thinking about it, it would be cool if they allowed you to marry your friends

Player marriage is a common MMO staple and Fates already featured bond units, so maybe that isn't so far-fetched. As a mobile game, social elements are essential, it makes sense as a way to incorporate them into the series' traditions.

So, that NX reveal, huh?

latest

Like I said before, I'm not trying to take any sides here, but I don't really understand people who say "Well, how could they add any new characters to the NX port in only a few months?". I mean, by the time the NX gets revealed, it will almost be a year since Bayo and Corrin were finished. That's more than enough time to add some new peeps if they wanted to.

It's taking so long I have to assume they must be waiting on the next Fire Emblem game to release first so we have our next newcomer ready.

In about a year or so of post-main game development time, Smash 4 has gotten:

• 3 Veterans (Mewtwo might have been made from the ground up due to not having an easy base to build off of like Ness & Lucas or Marth & Roy, so technically be as much work as a newcomer)
  • 4 Newcomers with very unique mechanics on them (Corrin probably not as much in terms of unique mechanics when compared to Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta)
  • 5 returning stages (Some with completely redone graphics, all of which got Omega forms)
  • 5 new stages (Which got Omega forms also)
  • 40 Mii costume packs (Some of which probably needed to have negotiations with third-parties to use certain IPs like Tales of's Lloyd costume)
  • 10 or so new music remixes (and a crap ton of music rips from other games, but that doesn't seem like much effort to do)
  • A slew of balance changes and updates that improved the overall balance of the roster (
    Too bad Shulk still sucks
    )
All of which was made with 2 separate development process simultaneously for the 3DS and Wii U versions, with only 1 version of the next Smash Bros in development for the NX, likely a port of Smash 4, the thought of a hypothetical "Super Smash Bros for Nintendo NX" having nothing new whatsoever, or only have some very minimal bonus' that were left over from early development like Ice Climbers, sounds flat out dumb. More so if people think Nintendo intentionally won't put anything new into the game just to be sure the "Competitive Scene" can use this new version for tournaments like EVO without much thought.

Edit: Random tangent, but people saying the NX needs to somehow have Gamcube controller support, or at least Smash NX needs Gamecube controller support because "That's how Smash is meant to be played" or "It's what competitive Smash needs to have" needs to be reminded. Smash 64 doesn't have Gamecube controller support (unless it's the Virtual Console release), it was perfectly playable; still perfectly playable for tournaments and casual play for that matter. Brawl and Smash 4 also have different control schemes people can use like the Pro Controller. Gamecube controller feels natural for Smash Bros, but you don't need the thing to play Smash. You can argue that some people want to have a wired controller for fighters, but that doesn't equal the Gamecube controller needs to be in Smash, that just means that people want lower input latency for Smash.

Top Bottom