• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

PtM

Banned
Well it could be "discounted" if you acquired eshop cards for cheap, like when Best Buy does those 10% off deals every now and then.

At least you weren't like me and bought every character only to barely play as them '~'
Yeah, all I'm playing since half a year is Cruel Miilee with a Mii gunner.

I bought all of the Mii costumes on both versions and I have barely used any of them.

Mostly just Geno, Protoman, Inkling, the hoodie and the suit.

The rest I don't think I've even touched. Some of them are kind of weird looking, like the Mii skinned the character and is wearing them as a trophy.

The game wouldn't feel complete for me if I didn't own all of the stages and characters, though. I absolutely had to have all of those.

Neoxon

Smash 4 NX better have Guile's Theme.

How did Sakurai allow such a tragedy like that to pass? How did Capcom allow that to happen?

"Hey, can we have arguably the most well known song in the series?"
"Nah man, but here's two slightly different versions of Ken's theme, enjoy!"

I hope to see Akuma as an Assist Trophy as well.

...or an Akuma alt with customs to make Ryu's specials more like Akuma's
I feel like Chun-Li would be a better choice as an Assist Trophy.

I want to make a follow-up update on AbyssWolf's artworks.

tumblr_oe6baf0Ne01riuctjo1_500.png
All I need now is Bayonetta. That said, I couldn't help but notice that Corrin's missing the symbol on the back of his cape.

ah thank heck, they did the corrin I actually play:
tumblr_oe852cSsvL1riuctjo1_500.png

Even though he's a fictional character I'm starting to feel sorry for male Corrin. Every time I see him I feel my salt levels rising but it's not even the poor guy's fault. I probably wouldn't even care about him at all if it weren't for the way things worked out :/

just seeing one gender of an avatar makes you salty? That seems. . . extreme.
It's hardly that simple but if you missed a chunk of the corrin thread being an argument of why it seemed like a bad idea for the male to be the default over the female then feel free to check it out: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1157573 (starts popping up about page 3 after the initial "omg more fire emblem?" reactions and comes back into discussion every couple of pages :3)
Ultimately it doesn't matter though. What's done is done. If they want to stick by the original marketing rather than reflecting what people actually wanted then it's their decision, no matter how stupid I think it was :p

It's better than being overly concerned about people's preference for one gender of an avatar.
XD

who cares what the default is when all I ever see in for glory and tournaments is female corrin

yall acting like she gets the short straw when everyone plays her /s
:p

If only there was some way they could've known it would be like this though. Like some kind of official nintendo character popularity polls that strongly hinted one was more popular than the other, or famitsu polls that showed a leaning towards which gender of avatar people went or something. Nobody could've seen it coming though, so it's no surprise they didn't account for it >.>

Neoxon

:p

If only there was some way they could've known it would be like this though. Like some kind of official nintendo character popularity polls that strongly hinted one was more popular than the other, or famitsu polls that showed a leaning towards which gender of avatar people went or something. Nobody could've seen it coming though, so it's no surprise they didn't account for it >.>
Take it from someone who's been looking into the public opinion of stuff like that for a while, you gotta sometimes roll with the punches. While Male Corrin is likely gonna get the Amiibo due to his status as default, at least Female Corrin will get her own Figma (likely as a result of her popularity). There's a silver lining to every situation.

For all we know, maybe Nintendo realized that Female Corrin is more popular & decided to make her the Amiibo. It's unlikely, sure, but logic of the guys at Nintendo has always been a mystery.

Take it from someone who's been looking into the public opinion of stuff like that for a while, you gotta sometimes roll with the punches. While Male Corrin is likely gonna get the Amiibo (due to his status as default), at least Female Corrin will get her own Figma (likely as a result of her popularity). There's a silver lining to every situation.

For all we know, maybe Nintendo realized that Female Corrin is more popular & decided to make her the Amiibo. It's unlikely, sure, but logic of the guys at Nintendo has always been a mystery.
Heh, yeah. I don't collect figurines so the figmas aren't a huge consolation to me, but I might pick up the chibi one or something just because I think she's pretty darn cool. I mostly just kind of wish for female corrin as amiibo due to the robin amiibo only allowing you to play male robin in codename S.T.E.A.M. (not a great game but I keep hoping more games will allow us to play as our amiibo peeps :D )

But yeah, heck knows what Nintendo's thoughts are sometimes. If I was going to devil's advocate my own arguments I'd probably suggest that large companies are, like colossal ships, very hard to change the course of once set in motion and Corrin's details were likely worked out before those polls were even collected :p

edit:
Japan doesn't know what's up with best tank pairing
that's not Benny
for F.Corrin

Neoxon

Heh, yeah. I don't collect figurines so the figmas aren't a huge consolation to me, but I might pick up the chibi one or something just because I think she's pretty darn cool. I mostly just kind of wish for female corrin as amiibo due to the robin amiibo only allowing you to play male robin in codename S.T.E.A.M. (not a great game but I keep hoping more games will allow us to play as our amiibo peeps :D )

But yeah, heck knows what Nintendo's thoughts are sometimes. If I was going to devil's advocate my own arguments I'd probably suggest that large companies are, like colossal ships, very hard to change the course of once set in motion and Corrin's details were likely worked out before those polls were even collected :p
And even then, perhaps Nintendo could do a line of alternate Amiibos for the likes of Female Robin, Female Corrin, Bayo 1 Bayonetta, Advent Children Cloud, Alph, the Koopalings, & the other alternate costumes.

And even then, perhaps Nintendo could do a line of alternate Amiibos for the likes of Female Robin, Female Corrin, Bayo 1 Bayonetta, Advent Children Cloud, Alph, the Koopalings, & the other alternate costumes.
That'd be appreciated (especially, I imagine, by people who play the various koopa kids) but I admit I do worry about the support for them in games, which again is my draw for amiibos even if many games don't really do it properly :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Can we patch Corrin out so we stop repeating this same topic of conversation every time the character is brought up?

So like imagine if through some miracle and the planets aligning and the work of an enemy stand, we got Touhou music in Smash

I'd cream so hard, it would be the only console game I'd play for months and months and months. Hours in the sound test, aaaahhhhhhh

If you guys are into modding sm4sh, consider adding some Touhou tracks ASAP. I'll be here if y'all need recommendations (hint: it's all worth it. every last track.)

Once I had a dream where they added a touhou character as the ballot pick and I was like "FUCK YEAH JAPAN COMING THROUGH FOR ONCE" and it was great, but then I woke up ;__;

So like imagine if through some miracle and the planets aligning and the work of an enemy stand, we got Touhou music in Smash

I'd cream so hard, it would be the only console game I'd play for months and months and months. Hours in the sound test, aaaahhhhhhh

If you guys are into modding sm4sh, consider adding some Touhou tracks ASAP. I'll be here if y'all need recommendations (hint: it's all worth it. every last track.)

Once I had a dream where they added a touhou character as the ballot pick and I was like "FUCK YEAH JAPAN COMING THROUGH FOR ONCE" and it was great, but then I woke up ;__;
Who won? If it wasn't my favourite drunkard, Suika Ibuki, then it was a bad dream :p

Who won? If it wasn't my favourite drunkard, Suika Ibuki, then it was a bad dream :p

They added Reimu Hakurei as the main character to represent the series, but her alternate colors were from other characters which was neat.

Personally I would have preferred my favorite immortal, Fujiwara no Mokou, but not all dreams are good dreams :p

Her trailer featured her beating up FE characters and Wario for no reason lol

They added Reimu Hakurei as the main character to represent the series, but her alternate colors were from other characters which was neat.

Personally I would have preferred my favorite immortal, Fujiwara no Mokou, but not all dreams are good dreams :p

Her trailer featured her beating up FE characters and Wario for no reason lol
Ooh! She's pretty cool! I've not seen her before :eek:
I'm more of an admirer from the sidelines than a true touhou fan as I've never played any of the games. I mostly just know a bunch of the characters, some scattered bits of lore and listen to a bunch of the music XD
Was kind of hoping the senko no ronde touhou game would be good as I love senko no ronde but apparently it's not great. The roguelike on playstation looks neat though. Never know, if they get enough games like that on nintendo maybe Zun could ask Sakurai for one of the future smash games ;D

Ooh! She's pretty cool! I've not seen her before :eek:
I'm more of an admirer from the sidelines than a true touhou fan as I've never played any of the games. I mostly just know a bunch of the characters, some scattered bits of lore and listen to a bunch of the music XD
Was kind of hoping the senko no ronde touhou game would be good as I love senko no ronde but apparently it's not great. The roguelike on playstation looks neat though. Never know, if they get enough games like that on nintendo maybe Zun could ask Sakurai for one of the future smash games ;D

If you want an easy in to the series proper, invest in the fighting game spinoffs. They're what introduced me to a lot of the more popular characters, given the only shmup I had played at that point was EoSD. Plus, Urban Legend in Limbo, the most recent Touhou fighter, is coming to PS4 this December so make a Japanese PSN and watch warmly until it is ready.

As for the 2hu games already out on PS4, Scarlet Curiosity looks like a fun little Ys clone so there's that.

And by all means, visit the relatively inactive Touhou Community Thread on gaf. It tends to lay dormant until some news comes up, but there's plenty of discussion and fan works to sort through if you browse through the pages. :)

okay I'm done derailing the thread now ><

Reminder! Online tournies end tonight. If you want to 100% the game and get all the notifications, you have to win one tonight. Also some maintenance happening on Sunday, likely to remove the mode from the menu.

So Source Gaming did an interview with Kyle Hebert (Ryu's English voice actor). Apparently he confirmed that Cloud didn't get an English voice due to union stuff & the politics involved. While Kyle Hebert himself is unionized, he's shown willingness to do non-union roles (such as Ryu in Street Fighter & Smash). I guess the same didn't apply to Cloud's English VA. I'd assume that the same would apply to Laura Bailey (Lucina's voice actress).

I wouldn't have minded Cloud's voice so much, had they just pulled a Mewtwo and changed his full Japanese phrases with grunts or yelling.

Japanese phrases work for Marth and Roy, since they are/were Japanese only characters. But Cloud is an international character, like Mewtwo.

The inclusion of more FE characters in Smash was a smart move on Nintendo's part. I won't disagree with the fact there are too many sword based characters. Corrin is still one of my favorite ones since their move-set reminds me of Zato-1 from GGXrd.

I create this picture out of the pixel artwork, if someone is interested into a printable version, here is a link.

(The upload did strange thinks to the color in this preview.)

Cool how you organized it, with the original starting 10 characters on the top left and the four unlockables on the bottom, and the Melee vets on the bottom right with the top right consisting of all the Brawl and Smash 4 additions. Neat.

PtM

Banned
Cool how you organized it, with the original starting 10 characters on the top left and the four unlockables on the bottom, and the Melee vets on the bottom right with the top right consisting of all the Brawl and Smash 4 additions. Neat.

OuO Didn't even register. Makes for a nice graph.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
SMASH I WANT A WRESTLER AND NOW YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO DO SO WITH EL TIGREMON

GO DO IIIIIT

NO MORE ARCHERS, WE HAVE SO MANY

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I will laugh hard if the final evos turn out to be false considering so many are taking them as fact.

Especially as the jump from Dartrix to Stringb-owl really seems odd. Prince -> Prince -> Dark Archer? Right...

We need a grass starter, we already have a fire starter. Bowser also already has a few wrestling moves.

I will laugh hard if the final evos turn out to be false considering so many are taking them as fact.

Especially as the jump from Dartrix to Stringb-owl really seems odd. Prince -> Prince -> Dark Archer? Right...

The mermaid is spot on, though.

Pokemon has had weird starter evos before.

Otter->Otter->Sea Lion
Turtle->Turtle with Feathers->Robot turtle

Prince->Prince->Robin Hood also follows some versions of the Robin Hood story, where he starts off as a noble before picking up the bow and hood.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
SMASH I WANT A WRESTLER AND NOW YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO DO SO WITH EL TIGREMON

GO DO IIIIIT

NO MORE ARCHERS, WE HAVE SO MANY

Many Archers? Who?

Prince->Prince->Robin Hood also follows some versions of the Robin Hood story, where he starts off as a noble before picking up the bow and hood.

Ironically enough Green Arrow was supposedly to be inspired by Robin Hood so the story is ironically similar as well since Oliver Queen was a billionaire spoiled brat, which realized his errors and become superhero. Arrowl or Owliver for me.

Top Bottom