• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Golnei

Many Archers? Who?

The two Links, Zelda, Sheik and the Pits, presumably. Though I'd imagine a final Rowlet evolution moveset would treat it more as a primary focus, which none of those characters come close to doing.

(Also, if custom moves are made more substantial in the next game, I'd love a Kafka version of Bayonetta's neutral special).

Ironically enough Green Arrow was supposedly to be inspired by Robin Hood so the story is ironically similar as well since Oliver Queen was a billionaire spoiled brat, which realized his errors and become superhero. Arrowl or Owliver for me.

The Robin Hood stories about him being a noble and then turning into a hero for the poor is almost certainly what inspired Green Arrow's origin story.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah but how many wrestlers does smash have?

NOTHING!

I WANT A SMASH CHARACTER WHOSE COUNTER/SIDE B IS GRABBING A FOLDED CHAIR/TABLE AND SMACKING THE SHIT OUT OF THEM

PK Gaming

Who gives a shit about character archetypes

Link was, is, and will always be bad anyway

phoenix-thinking(a).gif

Link is actually pretty underrated in Smash 4.

Everyone bought into him sucking and it eventually just became the accepted truth, but he's a fairly decent character all things considered.

Link always seemed more mediocre to me than generally bad. He's not that great but he's still better than characters like Jigglypuff.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The two Links, Zelda, Sheik and the Pits, presumably. Though I'd imagine a final Rowlet evolution moveset would treat it more as a primary focus, which none of those characters come close to doing.

(Also, if custom moves are made more substantial in the next game, I'd love a Kafka version of Bayonetta's neutral special).

They are hardly qualitified to be label as Archers since they only had one move with bow/arrow. I would like to see pure archer to happens tho.

Who gives a shit about character archetypes

Link was, is, and will always be bad anyway

I think Sakurai actually do but I need to check on that first.

Edited: yep, he did. He labeled Rosalina & Luma as Peppet Fighter in design document. He had theme set up for the characters in Brawl and Smash for.

PtM

Banned
Y'all will take anything, to be frank. And if it was another Pit clone. Not like you're going to boycott a hypothetical Smash 5.

If his regular attacks use his bow, that would free up his specials for some different Pokemon moves.

His Up and Side Smash, for example, could both be simple bow attacks.

Link always seemed more mediocre to me than generally bad. He's not that great but he's still better than characters like Jigglypuff.

Sadly, that is the pitfall regular Link falls into. Too slow to really capitalize punishes on quicker opponents, a lack luster Up+B and Toon Link is typically the better performing Link due to his lighter weight class and faster run speed. Granted regular Link is a little bit better in Smash 4 then he was in Brawl, mainly in part to Chain Grabs being gone. Jigglypuff though does need to just leave. She'll never be as good as she was in Melee.

Archer Owl Pokemon for DLC in Smash 4 for NX would be super rad. If they made him right, I would main the guy too.

Martha, Big Marth, Girl Marth, Bookworm Marth, YEAAAAAAAAAMarth, BustaSword Marth, Green Tunic Marth, Cat-Eye Marth, and Bare Feet Marth-- are all your joke characters if we drop Jiggs.

/s

Zyrox

I'd be okay with them giving Sonic 20 frames more endlag on all of his moves and thus making him into the joke character. It would fit, his games are a joke anyway.

Martha, Big Marth, Girl Marth, Bookworm Marth, YEAAAAAAAAAMarth, BustaSword Marth, Green Tunic Marth, Cat-Eye Marth, and Bare Feet Marth-- are all your joke characters if we drop Jiggs.

/s
Nah, we're better off dropping Marth.

Permanently.
I'd be okay with them giving Sonic 20 frames more endlag on all of his moves and thus making him into the joke character. It would fit, his games are a joke anyway.
See normally I'd agree with you on this but then you had to go and suggest that second statement

I'll fight anyone who thinks Advance and Rush are jokes

You know, while we're on this subject, if Sakurai really wants Smash to have a joke character, why not just bring back Pichu?

He wouldn't be that hard to develop at all considering he's just Pikachu but smaller and he hurts himself. I don't know, I just think it's stupid he basically intentionally ruined an actual character like Jigglypuff because "muh original intention". Pichu as a joke character was hilarious and endearing. Jigglypuff as a joke character is just depressing and cruel.

Hey now, at least the Genesis games were objectively well made (Though Sonic 1 is a little rougher because they were trying to figure things out back then). Mania looks sexy too.

Neoxon

R. Mika for Smash :p
She'd be censored to hell & back, but I'd be down for Rainbow Mika in Smash. Though if we had to have another SF character in Smash, I'd go for either Chun-Li, Karin, Urien, Alex, Rashid, or M. Bison.

Ironically enough Green Arrow was supposedly to be inspired by Robin Hood so the story is ironically similar as well since Oliver Queen was a billionaire spoiled brat, which realized his errors and became a superhero. Arrowl or Owliver for me.
As balladofwindfishes said, I think it was one of Robin Hood's origin stories (the one with him being a noble at first) that inspired Green Arrow/Oliver Queen's origin story.

That said, Owliver sounds like a great nickname for Rowlet.

Zyrox

Says the guy with a Xenoblade avatar
That avatar is from Smash Bros. :p What's wrong with it?
I admit my comment about Sonic was inflammatory but it's all in good fun. I enjoyed the Rush games, for instance and I can't deny the Genesis games are quality titles even if I couldn't get into them personally. And Sonic Mania looks like it could be good.

Arrowl

Tall, light weight character, great jumping ability, 4 jumps

Up Special
Drill Peck: Arrowl leans back, and dashes forward, spinning in the direction held. Basically a lot like Charizard's Fly, except directional, with substantially less damage, but further distance. And more start up.

Neutral Special: Leaf Tornado, a quick flap of both wings brings up a tornado of leaves, which flies straight forward at moderately fast speed, pushing enemies back that get caught in it. Also pushed back items.

Down Special: Roost: Tucks its wings in and falls asleep while the button is held, healing. Damage and knockback taken are increased while resting, and there's a delay when Arrowl wakes up

Side Special: Brave bird. With a loud screech, leaps backwards and then charges forward, wings out. Slightly pulls enemies in, and if it lands, Arrowl takes knockback damage. Unlike, say, Flare Blitz, Arrowl just jumps back when it makes contact, it doesn't cause it to be knocked onto the ground.

Side and Up Smash are charged arrow attacks
Down Smash is is a ground kick

Rest of its attacks vary between short range bow/arrow attacks and powerful kicks.

Also, it has a tether, using vines launched from its wing. When holding an enemy in the grab, it actually holds them in a fiber wire choke style hole with the bow string vines of its wings.

Idunno. Hard to think of a moveset based on nothing but some concept art, and knowing it kicks a lot and has a bow wing.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If his regular attacks use his bow, that would free up his specials for some different Pokemon moves.

His Up and Side Smash, for example, could both be simple bow attacks.

If Owl3 had a chance, I'm curious how Sakurai would pull it off with it's grab animations. I could see Hawkeye-esque or Green Arrow-eque grab animations where they would use bows/arrows to push the opponents away or toss the opponents in the air and aim them with the arrows.

Look at Hawkeye's forward grab animation.

You know, while we're on this subject, if Sakurai really wants Smash to have a joke character, why not just bring back Pichu?

He wouldn't be that hard to develop at all considering he's just Pikachu but smaller and he hurts himself. I don't know, I just think it's stupid he basically intentionally ruined an actual character like Jigglypuff because "muh original intention". Pichu as a joke character was hilarious and endearing. Jigglypuff as a joke character is just depressing and cruel.

I second this. I don't really have any strong attachment with Pichu but I always enjoy to play with him in Melee because it was fun to blindside someone with fully charged Skull Bash (Side B) in FFA. It's actually fun to win with Pichu and rubbing it in their faces that cutsy pokemon won. ;P

#bringMeleePuffback

That avatar is from Smash Bros. :p What's wrong with it?
I admit my comment about Sonic was inflammatory but it's all in good fun. I enjoyed the Rush games, for instance and I can't deny the Genesis games are quality titles even if I couldn't get into them personally. And Sonic Mania looks like it could be good.

Well, He's a honorable member of SonicGAF, ya know. It's his duty to defend Sonic to death.

I can't even describe how happy I would be if I ever saw this man in Smash.

We did get MegaMan. That is a great start. Plus MegaMan has some really cool tools he can use. He is not a character I would consider easy to play by any means.

If they did bring Nick in, I wonder if his Smash version would borrow any moves from Marvel Versus Capcom 3? He does have some pretty silly normals. If they brought back one of those, it would need to be the move where he throws a stack of paper at the opponent.

She'd be censored to hell & back, but I'd be down for Mika in Smash. Though if we had to have another SF character in Smash, I'd go for either Chun-Li, Karin, Urien, Alex, Rashid, or M. Bison.
If they were desperate for another SF character they could just reskin Shiek as Ibuki :p

I think Robin Hoot is really ripe territory for a set of really unique specials. I know most Pokémon aren't ultra gimmicky, but there could be some cool stuff going on with the archery.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Oh shoot I forgot about Archer Owl! So far he seems to be the run away winner in terms of popularity. I think he's our new Pokemon in Smash NX!

So much I would love to see Arrow Owl getting in future Smash but he's not 100% guarantee yet.

I suppose we would find out if they ever announce the lineup along with NX hardware but again they might not.

Archer owl anticipation for Smash really feels like trying to read a pattern that isn't necessarily there. No one expected Greninja in SSB4, but now he's in and suddenly we think we can predict the next new Pokemon? Could be Type: Null for all we know.

Sakurai added Greninja before he even had a name, he just saw the design of a starter's final form and decided "yep, that's the one."

If anything, by the time development on Smash 5 begins, Sakurai may just pick whatever gen 7 mon ends up being the new hotness to use and it may not be Archer Owl. Could end up being the generation's pseudo-legendary or whatever.

PK Gaming

Never.

Archer owl anticipation for Smash really feels like trying to read a pattern that isn't necessarily there. No one expected Greninja in SSB4, but now he's in and suddenly we think we can predict the next new Pokemon? Could be Type: Null for all we know.

It'll come down to Gamefreak's request probably. Who knows what they'll want this time around, if any. People are definitely jumping the gun on Archer mon.

Top Bottom