• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

ash_ag

Never mind a new playable Pokémon, SM introduced the most obvious Poké Ball addition for the next Smash.

PZx3uD9.gif

Archer owl anticipation for Smash really feels like trying to read a pattern that isn't necessarily there. No one expected Greninja in SSB4, but now he's in and suddenly we think we can predict the next new Pokemon? Could be Type: Null for all we know.

People didn't expect Greninja for Smash 4 because he was 4 months old when he was announced for Smash and had not even appeared in the anime yet. He was just a random starter at that point, we had no idea he'd be the big marketing push of the 6th gen and get magical anime powers and all that stuff.

We had never really had a character that new in Smash before. Previously, characters had to be a year or two old to be in Smash, other than Roy.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
People didn't expect Greninja for Smash 4 because he was 4 months old when he was announced for Smash and had not even appeared in the anime yet. He was just a random starter at that point, we had no idea he'd be the big marketing push of the 6th gen and get magical anime powers and all that stuff.

We had never really had a character that new in Smash before. Previously, characters had to be a year or two old to be in Smash, other than Roy.

He was Ash's starter. Yeah he was Froakie but the sentiment was there.

Boss Doggie

Ash's BW team never had a fully evolved starter. It wasn't a sure bet Ash's Froakie would ever evolve.

Ash's BW team had him carry more than one starter. It was inevitable Froakie would evolve due to being the only one.

With that said, regardless of anything else, it was Sakurai who picked Greninja.

Ash's BW team had him carry more than one starter. It was inevitable Froakie would evolve due to being the only one.

With that said, regardless of anything else, it was Sakurai who picked Greninja.

And looking at the Green Arrow, he looks right up Sakurai's alley. A unique appearance, a unique potential moveset, a grass starter was requested for awhile now to complete the trinity, and the Pokemon just looks like one that will be popular.

Posters for the new anime also seem to imply Ash will be starting with a Rowlet.

Boss Doggie

And looking at the Green Arrow, he looks right up Sakurai's alley. A unique appearance, a unique potential moveset, a grass starter was requested for awhile now to complete the trinity, and the Pokemon just looks like one that will be popular.

Posters for the new anime also seem to imply Ash will be starting with a Rowlet.

Sakurai just looked at Greninja and said he looked cool, but otherwise we don't know what Sakurai's tastes are. Hell we don't even know if they'll include a Gen VII mon on the new Smash game. You are literally committing the same mistakes the same people that made "Sakurai's rules".

Sakurai just looked at Greninja and said he looked cool, but otherwise we don't know what Sakurai's tastes are. Hell we don't even know if they'll include a Gen VII mon on the new Smash game. You are literally committing the same mistakes the same people that made "Sakurai's rules".

Why wouldn't a Pokemon from the latest generation not be added? No Smash game has ever been released without a newcomer from the latest Pokemon game.

In Smash 4 he specifically set aside a character for the latest Pokemon game, not even knowing what any of them looked like or if the games would even be successful.

Why wouldn't a Pokemon from the latest generation not be added? No Smash game has ever been released without a newcomer from the latest Pokemon game.

There's your answer. Pokemon Protonium and Pokemon Electronium (or whatever would it be named) releasing soon enough would disrupt this train of thought. As seen before in SSBB and SSB4, mind you.

Dr. Buni

I would hope they don't add yet another Pokémon to the cast in the next game. Just because it is Pokémon it doens't mean Sakurai should add a newcomer in every game. Yeah we got at least one newcomer in every new game so far, but how many times has Sakurai/Nintendo broken "rules" created by fans?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
lol

Not even a new Smash Bros announced and people are already trying to put together a rule set to work out which newcomers will appear.

I would hope they don't add yet another Pokémon to the cast in the next game. Just because it is Pokémon it doens't mean Sakurai should add a newcomer in every game. Yeah we got at least one newcomer in every new game so far, but how many times has Sakurai/Nintendo broken "rules" created by fans?

You're gonna be disappointed in the end.

Same goes for those folks not wanting another Fire Emblem character.

Throwing absolutes like "X franchise is to big not to get a new comer" is just a recipe for disaster.

I mean character wise, Smash 4 has not been kind to you, right? Heh...

I mean, new Fire Emblem and Pokemon characters are basically absolutes. They're the only thing guaranteed for a new Smash game.

Zubz

Banned
lol

Not even a new Smash Bros announced and people are already trying to put together a rule set to work out which newcomers will appear.

I was too busy being surprised all the speculation was "Smash 5" and not "The nigh-inevitable NX version that will likely be drip-fed DLC throughout the system's life with or without Sakurai because Smash makes Nintendo a lot of money," but yeah. Part of me's happy we're here again, despite the other part shaking its head.

That said, I really hope any and all future character selections continue to throw everyone's rules for a loop. I know it won't go away, but maybe someone'll catch on and give up that fight. I mean, Cloud should've been enough, but Sakurai can go weirder.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
pfft, they'd probably skip over this gen and go for gen 8 when the next smash comes

it's really depend on what's going on with Smash and Sakurai. I meant there is a reliable source that said that Smash is in development, and we have no idea what Smash for NX would be like. It's impossible to to be so sure on something with lack of information with NX and Smash NX.

I'm only fine with new characters from current franchises at long they are going to bring something new to the table for Smash Bros, via Bowser Jr and Rosalina for Mushoom Kingdom and Corrin and Robin for Fire Emblem.

The hype behind Robin Hoot/Owl3/etc is understandable because people felt that they could bring something new to the table and we didn't really have any dedicated Archer in the game. But being absolute sure about it is too risky because we couldn't be so certain about something when it come down to Sakurai and Smash Bros.

Remember what happens with Lucario, Toon Link and Ike are going to get cut because people were so sure that they are going to get replaced due to "month of flavors". Also people were so sure that Zorozark is going to become playable character. See what happens there?

There are official rules that are still stands tho ;) but let see if those rules are going to be broken or not. if anything, people should learn their lessons from Brawl and Smash 4, the imaginary rules are meant to be broken, and we shouldn't waste our times to making up some imaginary rules, like no second character from third party companies, etc.

lol

If Smash NX is going to get new contents, then the ride is going to be very interesting and fun because the imaginary rules are more likely to be break once again. P.S. Feel free to break the rule via add Mickey Mouse to the roster.

I mean character wise, Smash 4 has not been kind to you, right? Heh...

I don't know about him but Smash 4's roster is just perfect for me. :)

I mean, new Fire Emblem and Pokemon characters are basically absolutes. They're the only thing guaranteed for a new Smash game.

My gut feeling is telling me that we might not get any newcomer from Fire Emblem for Smash NX if we are going to get Smash NX in 2017, and that's big if we are getting new contents. However they want to add someone from SMT FE then I guess I suppose it could happens tho.

Hey guys you know what would be more fun than speculating

Playing Smash Bros.

Netplay, Sm4sh online, come on guys you're killing me here

I think people could do both! :)

Folks, let's be real here. Sakurai may be unpredictable but he is never, ever ever going to add a non-video game character into Smash Bros.

Stuff like "Each company can only get one third party in Smash!", "This series can only get this many reps because it has this many games!", and "This character can't get in because he or she is too associated with a non-Nintendo console!" actually are just arbitrary rules Smash fans brought out of thin air. Ever since Brawl's announcement, however, Sakurai has stated that every character in Smash has to be a video game character. It's the one thing every character in the series shares in common.

I mean Sakurai even stated right here that characters like Spongebob and Goku are impossible to include. These bizarre requests like Shrek and such are what influenced him to add the Mii Fighters as he mentioned in their reveal trailer at E3 2014.

Ultimately I don't really think Sakurai "breaks rules". It's just that a lot of Smash fans are kinda dumb and try to look for patterns in Sakurai's design choices, and thus attempt really hard to be "super realistic" or whatever the fuck when making their roster predictions. I'll admit I was a bit guilty of that in the past myself. However, "Only video game characters get into Smash" is an honest to goodness real rule of Sakurai's and I don't see him ever breaking it.

He's a video game peripheral. It's close enough. It's not the same as adding someone like Goku or Darth Vader.

Bookmarking this post for the Smash NX Popeye reveal thread.

Truth be told, if Sakurai actually was to break his little rule there only to add Popeye, I wouldn't mind it, considering his significance to Nintendo's history. He wouldn't be some stupid meme choice like Goku, Shrek or Reggie.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Folks, let's be real here. Sakurai may be unpredictable but he is never, ever ever going to add a non-video game character into Smash Bros.

Ultimately I don't really think Sakurai "breaks rules". It's just that a lot of Smash fans are kinda dumb and try to look for patterns in Sakurai's design choices, and thus attempt really hard to be "super realistic" or whatever the fuck when making their roster predictions. I'll admit I was a bit guilty of that in the past myself. However, "Only video game characters get into Smash" is an honest to goodness real rule of Sakurai's and I don't see him ever breaking it.

Key Word: Imaginary Rules.

It's okay for people to trying to figure out the patterns but a problem with following the patterns is patterns meant to change.

He's a video game peripheral. It's close enough. It's not the same as adding someone like Goku or Darth Vader.

Truth be told, if Sakurai actually was to break his little rule there only to add Popeye, I wouldn't mind it, considering his significance to Nintendo's history. He wouldn't be some stupid meme choice like Goku, Shrek or Reggie.

Not Disney? I meant they have some kind of relationships there.

I know it's unlikely since Disney don't really want their characters in fighting game tho

Key Word: Imaginary Rules.

It's okay for people to trying to figure out the patterns but a problem with following the patterns is patterns meant to change.

Yeah, I'm just kind of pointing out that the exclusion of non-video game characters isn't an imaginary rule in the same way something like "Each third party company can only get one rep each" is. Sakurai never stated anything like that, but he's indeed stated in the past that "manga characters will not join the battle".

And I'd say Popeye is more important to Nintendo's history because the original Donkey Kong arcade game was going to initially be a Popeye game, it's just that Nintendo couldn't get the rights to that license. Ultimately, Popeye (the hero), Olive Oyl (the damsel in distress) and Bluto (the antagonistic brute) are all what inspired the creation of Mario, Pauline, and Donkey Kong respectively.

Neoxon

Should Nintendo follow Capcom's CPT and do a "Smash Cup" annually?
Definitely. Part of the reason why Smash isn't reaching its true potential competitively is because Nintendo isn't supporting the scene on the level of Capcom, Bandai Namco, NetherRealm Studios, or (now) SNK. The release of the NX along with the rumored Smash 4 port could be a great jumping-off point for Nintendo to launch a Smash Cup for Smash 4. That said, the Melee fans may get angry that Nintendo left them hanging in this scenario (if said Smash Cup is Smash 4-only).

literally who is Ashley

half the reason I'm aware who's Ashley is because people won't stop talking about her

same with k.rool, nobody ever stops

where's the sin and punishment love at

I just realized something, nine years ago today, Sonic was actually revealed for Brawl.

sonic_071010c-l.jpg

Been nearly a decade since then, wow. I was about to become 11 years old when he was announced. Now I'm about to become 20.

fuck that reveal

"Sonic's the name, speeds my game!"

That reveal was the stuff of dreams for a 10 year old kid like I was, man. Especially when they made it look like he was gonna team up with Mario in the Subspace Emissary.

Turns out he only appears at the very last second because he was literally shoved into the roster at the very last second oops.

Top Bottom