• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

PK Gaming

CuYPbLXVYAIxxQ9.png

Soon

After playing Color Splash, I was thinking about Paper Mario (someone I've wanted in Smash for a very long time)

If they added him, would they make him based on Color Splash/Sticker Star, would they make him just use generic hammer and jump attacks, or would they blend all 5 games in the series into a full moveset. For example, down air would be a ground pound from Super, with the pixl appearing for a second, while up special would make Parakarry appear? Neutral Special launches Bobbery, side special uses Kooper, stuff like that.

I think the latter idea would be the best way to do it, but I could also see PM being more based on SS/CS, or just using generic non-specific paper themed attacks.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I just realized something, nine years ago today, Sonic was actually revealed for Brawl.

sonic_071010c-l.jpg

Been nearly a decade since then, wow. I was about to become 11 years old when he was announced. Now I'm about to become 20.

god the brawl model was so awkward looking

Richie

After playing Color Splash, I was thinking about Paper Mario (someone I've wanted in Smash for a very long time)

If they added him, would they make him based on Color Splash/Sticker Star, would they make him just use generic hammer and jump attacks, or would they blend all 5 games in the series into a full moveset. For example, down air would be a ground pound from Super, with the pixl appearing for a second, while up special would make Parakarry appear? Neutral Special launches Bobbery, side special uses Kooper, stuff like that.

I think the latter idea would be the best way to do it, but I could also see PM being more based on SS/CS, or just using generic non-specific paper themed attacks.

If there's going to be a Mario newcomer, I'd bet on Paper Mario indeed. Given how Sakurai went out of his way to reference the series' past in the 3DS Paper Mario stage, I'd hope the hypothetical PM character would also take cues from the whole franchise. Back in the day I imagined he'd also be able to cause damage via footstool jumps.

Btw I know my expectations should be tempered, but I'm watering at the mouth thinking of just how much content Smash NX could have if Sakurai is indeed useing Smash Wii U as a base and has added stuff to it ever since DLC finished, if not earlier.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Let me guess, was this an avatar bet or something?

lol no. I remember that day he mentioned the story and it will never escape my head. So It's way worse than avatar bet. *coughgirlfriendproblemcough*

Like I said, partially responsible.

I was about to be intimate with my girlfriend, when I got a text (I always keep my phone on for emergencies, but I forgot to put it on silent in this instance). I check my phone to see what the big deal is, and it's from my friend:

"SONIC IN BRAWL"

My girl wasn't pleased, and went to sleep. I didn't speak to him for a few days.

I should clarify, since I didn't mention it when I first made that post, that I was NOT happy about that text because I thought it was something important. :lol

If there's going to be a Mario newcomer, I'd bet on Paper Mario indeed. Given how Sakurai went out of his way to reference the series' past in the 3DS Paper Mario stage, I'd hope the hypothetical PM character would also take cues from the whole franchise. Back in the day I imagined he'd also be able to cause damage via footstool jumps.

Btw I know my expectations should be tempered, but I'm watering at the mouth thinking of just how much content Smash NX could have if Sakurai is indeed useing Smash Wii U as a base and has added stuff to it ever since DLC finished, if not earlier.

Damage on footstool and his Smash attacks being Action Commands instead of traditional charge attacks would make him pretty unique.

I actually just learned a few days ago the whale from PM64 was on that stage. I hadn't really noticed. It's a nice touch, although I wish the final Bowser part of the stage was the PM64 Bowser's Castle, just so the three main RPG games (at the time) would be referenced (not even sure how Super could be referenced at all in the stage, since it's in its own little world).

I just realized something, nine years ago today, Sonic was actually revealed for Brawl.

sonic_071010c-l.jpg

Been nearly a decade since then, wow. I was about to become 11 years old when he was announced. Now I'm about to become 20.
I remember when he was revealed I thought man mega man should be next! Didn't know at the time I would have to wait 8 years for that to happen lol. That mega man trailer nearly bought tears of joy to my eyes.

Everyone thought Mega Man was guaranteed after Sonic.

I'm pretty sure MM hype for Brawl was why he was the second character revealed for Smash 4. And it was pretty much the largest character reveal for Smash 4, until Cloud, imo.

Also in my opinion, Mega Man fits the best out of all of the third parties in Smash. He just feels like a Nintendo character. Probably because the majority of his games have appeared on a Nintendo console, and like half of them are still exclusive (like the entire Zero, ZX, Star Force and Battle Network series)

Everyone thought Mega Man was guaranteed after Sonic.

I'm pretty sure MM hype for Brawl was why he was the second character revealed for Smash 4. And it was pretty much the largest character reveal for Smash 4, until Cloud, imo.

Also in my opinion, Mega Man fits the best out of all of the third parties in Smash. He just feels like a Nintendo character. Probably because the majority of his games have appeared on a Nintendo console, and like half of them are still exclusive (like the entire Zero, ZX, Star Force and Battle Network series)

It helps that he's received better treatment from Nintendo than Capcom for a while now.

So...here's something weird. You guys remember how Nintendo was supposed to pull the plug on regular tournies back on September 30th?

Well, it's been almost two weeks since then, and they're actually still running them for some reason. I just got back from winning one.

lol no. I remember that day he mentioned the story and it will never escape my head. So It's way worse than avatar bet. *coughgirlfriendproblemcough*

That this was the prelude to one of SmashGAF's infamous nights of insanity the greatest thing.

If Beef had been quick on his feet and not blinded by adrenaline, he could've just fibbed, "Oh, uh, my Uncle Sonic, he got in a brawl, I, uh, hope he's OK!" And then when she says, "You have an uncle named Sonic," you go "shh shh shh" and put your fingers on her lips: "No more talk now, only love."

Who gives a shit how Capcom "treats" Mega Man

He's at least getting acknowledged with compilation releases and the like

Show me where the F-Zero Legacy Collection is.

On a slightly related note, I played F-Zero AX at a local arcade and it was one of those machines where the seat is moving and shaking with the action. I had to buckle up, wow that was fun.

Edit: Beef let me just say my condolences man, and boy I hope SONIC IN BRAWL isn't a trigger phrase for you lol

So...here's something weird. You guys remember how Nintendo was supposed to pull the plug on regular tournies back on September 30th?

Well, it's been almost two weeks since then, and they're actually still running them for some reason. I just got back from winning one.

Really? There was even backend maintenance on that day most people assumed was to remove them

Maybe they were only turned off in Japan?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Those were the days.

Yup, those avatar bets were fun. I wonder if some people would do it again in the future.

I remember when he was revealed I thought man mega man should be next! Didn't know at the time I would have to wait 8 years for that to happen lol. That mega man trailer nearly bought tears of joy to my eyes.

I'm really glad that Mega Man managed to make in Smash this time. Mega Man Vs. Samus Vs. Link, Vs. Mario Vs. Pac Man Vs. Sonic Vs. Cloud Vs. Ryu. It was great to see them in action in same game.

Sami+

Yooo I won a decent amount of money for the first time 😱😱

About $70 for 7th at Emerald Coast Con last weekend, 80 man tournament I think. Tallahassee invaded Pensacola HARD, took 6 spots of top 8. Unfortunately the winner was a PR Sonic main from Georgia named CC. He was super good and beat everyone except our top Sonic main who's only ever lost that ditto to Manny and hasn't dropped a single set to another Sonic, including me. He got knocked out of losers by one of our own tho. 😪

CronoShot

Should Nintendo follow Capcom's CPT and do a "Smash Cup" annually?
The problem with this is Melee.

Nintendo would either have to:

1. Completely ignore Melee and piss of its legions of fans.

2. Make Melee HD and fragment the competitive user base even more than it already is.

3. Include Melee as we know it. That means tracking down Gamecubes, copies of Melee, CRTs, etc required to run tournaments. I'm sure the Melee community would be more than happy to help, but it's still messy. This also means Nintendo would gain nothing, as they make no money off of Melee now, which pretty much defeats the point of such a circuit.

Finally watching some TBH6 stuff. Finished smash 4 crews. Kie totally surprised me. Japan's MVP for sure.

The problem with this is Melee.

Nintendo would either have to:

1. Completely ignore Melee and piss of its legions of fans.

2. Make Melee HD and fragment the competitive user base even more than it already is.

3. Include Melee as we know it. That means tracking down Gamecubes, copies of Melee, CRTs, etc required to run tournaments. I'm sure the Melee community would be more than happy to help, but it's still messy. This also means Nintendo would gain nothing, as they make no money off of Melee now, which pretty much defeats the point of such a circuit.

I feel like melee HD only fragments the userbase if they do an aggressive balance patch or make a crappy remaster where controls feel laggy and ruin movement. good players will show up to compete if their skill transfers over 1:1, and I think if the game felt that close to original melee then most locals would also wind up ok with people bringing in melee hd setups.

Finally watching some TBH6 stuff. Finished smash 4 crews. Kie totally surprised me. Japan's MVP for sure.

I feel like melee HD only fragments the userbase if they do an aggressive balance patch or make a crappy remaster where controls feel laggy and ruin movement. good players will show up to compete if their skill transfers over 1:1, and I think if the game felt that close to original melee then most locals would also wind up ok with people bringing in melee hd setups.
I think the fragmentation wasn't among the melee lot but the melee and smash 4 lot. While there are some who'd play both there are definitely some who wouldn't: myself being someone who wouldn't play melee (HD or otherwise) for example.

About $70 for 7th at Emerald Coast Con last weekend, 80 man tournament I think. Tallahassee invaded Pensacola HARD, took 6 spots of top 8. Unfortunately the winner was a PR Sonic main from Georgia named CC. He was super good and beat everyone except our top Sonic main who's only ever lost that ditto to Manny and hasn't dropped a single set to another Sonic, including me. He got knocked out of losers by one of our own tho. 😪

Congratulations. $70 seems quite a bit for 7th place for an 80 person tournament. How much was the entry fee? I got 7th in a 133 person tournament and only got $33 (2.5%).

I've played CC in a few sets online and have never lost :)

PK Gaming

Damn, mad respect

Who do you main?

I think the fragmentation wasn't among the melee lot but the melee and smash 4 lot. While there are some who'd play both there are definitely some who wouldn't: myself being someone who wouldn't play melee (HD or otherwise) for example.

yeah, that's the current fragmentation. he was talking about a meleehd release causing new fragmentation to appear, though.

I tried to get into competetive Melee but the fact that only a few characters are actually viable just turned me off way too much...not to mention the roster seems lame after Brawl and the miracle that is the Smash 4 roster.

I tried to get into competetive Melee but the fact that only a few characters are actually viable just turned me off way too much...not to mention the roster seems lame after Brawl and the miracle that is the Smash 4 roster.

i too enjoy cloud

i've actually been using charizard more and people are just completely unequipped to fight him RIP

Really? What does Charizard do at a competitive level? I don't come across Charizard players at all and I have never looked into him tbh

Gonna preface this by mentioning that anyone who is fast and has multihit moves like Fox, etc just laughs at him. But Charizard hits hard, moves deceptively fast, has a great spike, and has a kill throw and several kill moves. Fox and ZSS seem to be his worst matchups though. The Captain Falcon matchup, though?

FREE

FSLink

Banned
Gonna preface this by mentioning that anyone who is fast and has multihit moves like Fox, etc just laughs at him. But Charizard hits hard, moves deceptively fast, has a great spike, and has a kill throw and several kill moves. Fox and ZSS seem to be his worst matchups though. The Captain Falcon matchup, though?

FREE

Been using a lot of Charizard too in friendlies. Flamethrower -> dsmash 2 frame is so satisfying to pull off lol
Or killing people at like 70% at the edge with bair.

I think people are starting to notice the character a bit. That Japanese Charizard won a JP online tournament whose bracket included players like Ron (best Mario in Japan)

Anyone here practiced the Kameme MM footstool combo and have execution tips? Mostly trying to work on lemon game 90% of the time since it's so important but when I'm not practicing that I've been trying to learn the footstool combo.

Sami+

Congratulations. $70 seems quite a bit for 7th place for an 80 person tournament. How much was the entry fee? I got 7th in a 133 person tournament and only got $33 (2.5%).

I've played CC in a few sets online and have never lost :)

Damn, mad respect

Who do you main?

$25, since it was a full on convention. Tyler Hack's tournaments have a weird distribution where 1st gets less than you expect but 5th/7th get a lot more.

I've been playing Sonic since I started playing about a year ago. :)

Cool Guy Sami is pulling a Masahiro Ito.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)‎

Wait what did I do LOL

Edit - one of our best Tallahassee players is a Charizard main. Character is legit good. Not great but if you sleep on him you'll get bair'd to hell.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm definitely out of the Avatar Betting game, hahah.

Being able to get that big group of people satisfied me. xP

Awww, you are getting cold feet even it haven't started yet! ;P

Just kidding, I feel your pain tho.

$25, since it was a full on convention. Tyler Hack's tournaments have a weird distribution where 1st gets less than you expect but 5th/7th get a lot more.

I've been playing Sonic since I started playing about a year ago. :)

Congrats on your place. I presume that it's not recorded, right?

Sami+

Awww, you are getting cold feet even it haven't started yet! ;P

Just kidding, I feel your pain tho.

Congrats on your place. I presume that it's not recorded, right?

Thanks! They were actually - Typo House Games covered the stream and had a nice setup. These are my sets against Hallenium (a Rosa main from Alabama) and Day (who bopped me).

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=WPLD7TpOX54

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=FnYxIfa4csI

I also commentated Top 8! Here's Grand Finals between Typo | CC and Puma, our #1 player in Tallahassee. I'm in the blue shirt lol.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=0bo89RLjsjo

Top Bottom