• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

I can at least assume the Smash Ballot will finally come into effect beyond Bayonetta.

I'm curious as to which of the runners-up were considered feasible in Sakurai's eyes.

I've thought it over and I think it would make sense to focus on characters who fell victim to the 3DS version (Ice Climbers and perhaps...the rumored Rhythm Heaven rep?)

Inklings would also be a nice surprise. I know one of the game's developers said a 3DS iteration would be tough due to the hardware, so there's nothing holding them back now.

So, who would we have for the "Retro Newcomer" of the 8-Bit Era?

250px-Murasame_cover.PNG

Sakurai seems like he really wants to put Takamaru in, and only obscurity from outside of Japan was holding him back. But with a dedicated minigame for Mysterious Murasame Castle in Nintendo Land, the original Famicom game being released on the Virtual Console worldwide, an Assist Trophy in Smash 4, this kickass medley remix, and his own Mii Costume (that may or may not sold well), who knows?

Kjellson

You guys think Miis will be a thing with NS?

I don't and it makes me wonder how they will handle the Mii Fighters in this game. The most likely option would be to remove them altogether, which is a shame since they have a unique move set and they are part of Nintendo history.

Maybe they'll have a built-in Mii Maker in Smash just for this, lol.

Neoxon

I don't and it makes me wonder how they will handle the Mii Fighters in this game. The most likely option would be to remove them altogether, which is a shame since they have a unique move set and they are part of Nintendo history.

The Miis have transcended beyond the Wii brand, so I wouldn't worry.

Ever use MyNintendo or download Miitomo on your smartphone? There's your answer.

Hopefully there's an easy Wii U -> Switch system for moving Miis, and they don't require you to move them all to the 3DS or something like that.

I have like a hundred Miis I've collected over the last 10 years, and I quite like them.

Best thing about Smash port is that some ATs might get promoted and well get new ATs to replace them.
I'd happy with this... especially if Ashley is one of the promoted ATs :p

I expect Inkling to finally be playable which is instant main for me, but if Ashley somehow makes that final jump, I'm basically set for characters I want to play :3

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
No, they just launched a new account system that uses your Mii and their first mobile venture using Mii only to throw them away.

lol

D6OG85u.png

No, they just launched a new account system that uses your Mii and their first mobile venture using Mii only to throw them away.

lol

D6OG85u.png

I mean, I said in this some other threads, but Sakurai literally went ahead and gave Miis three different movesets in Smash, each with their own set of fully unique customizable special moves (while everyone else outside of Palutena gets lame variations lol). Between that, and Nintendo having Miis be playable in the last few Mario Kart games, it's pretty obvious they're still important to the company.

Beef is kinda reminding me a little of Kamiya with his repeating messages.

I guess "who" is his answer to Kamiya's "Next week...in game magazines".

Honestly Namco deserves at least another rep, I mean, they helped make my favorite Smash game ever... Why don't we have Jin or Kazuya Mishima or a popular Tales character? Also why do Capcom and Sega get 2 reps

Edit: I accidentally put Hazama in... Why not add a BlazBlue character so that Smash can truly become anime

Honestly Namco deserves at least another rep, I mean, they helped make my favorite Smash game ever... Why don't we have Jin or Kazuya Mishima or a popular Tales character? Also why do Capcom and Sega get 2 reps

Capcom: Mega Man and Ryu are two of the most popular and well known video game characters in the medium.

SEGA: Sonic is one of the most popular and well known video game characters in the medium. Bayonetta was the winner of the ballot.

There you go.

Third party characters are generally a big deal. This is predominately a Nintendo fighting game after all, so having non-Nintendo characters in this has to be an event. Snake, Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Ryu and Cloud are all huge characters in the gaming world, and their series have each at least exceeded 30 million units in terms of sales. Someone like Lloyd just doesn't compare.

I'll admit, Tekken is the only other Namco series besides Pac-Man that fits the bill on what I'm talking about here. It IS the highest selling fighting game franchise of all time, after all....but honestly, does anyone really want a Tekken character? Sakurai could always surprise me but it'd just seem like a boring choice to me, especially since we already have Ryu in here.

Sakurai seemed pretty adamant on picking Lloyd as the Tales representative for Miis.

Tales of Symphonia is my favorite third-party game on any Nintendo-related console, but its sequel is some serious baggage I don't wanting touching Smash. (And that's not even getting into the current state of the overall franchise).

I don't recall specifying a game, HEALTH

Game set match

then who'd you post it in this thread HUH

Edit: I accidentally put Hazama in... Why not add a BlazBlue character so that Smash can truly become anime
Cloud is already in it, as well as fire emblem reps. That's as anime as its gonna get

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
People are asking for new characters, why not think of what will happen if they decide to declone Dr. Mario, Lucina and Dark Pit, and making Alph a semi-clone of Olimar by reverting the latter to his Brawl incarnation as the base?

I still want both big content like stages from 3DS and Wii U combined into the Switch release tho.

I already considered the possibilities of Dark Pit and Lucina becoming Luigication clones, like other clones. I really hope that it would happens. However, please just leave Dr. Mario alone because I like him as it is.

I can at least assume the Smash Ballot will finally come into effect beyond Bayonetta.

I really hope so. It's plausible that we could get a new Donkey Kong character this time because of the ballot.

Best thing about Smash port is that some ATs might get promoted and well get new ATs to replace them.

Takamaru please.

I'm curious as to which of the runners-up were considered feasible in Sakurai's eyes.

I have a gut feeling that they probably already had a plan for certain characters so they would save them for Nintendo NS because it probably feel right to be part of base roster, rather than being part of DLC roster.

I've always been curious about that, actually.

Lets think of, say, an alternate timeline where Nintendo sadly didn't reach out to save Bayo 2 and Bayonetta remained a dead series. Obviously if it wasn't for all of that, Bayonetta most likely wouldn't of had such a push that she got by fans to get into Smash. So in that case, I wonder who would been considered the most "realistic" ballot winner besides her.

I already considered the possibilities of Dark Pit and Lucina becoming Luigication clones, like other clones. I really hope that it would happens. However, please just leave Dr. Mario alone because I like him as it is.

Hey, like I said, you can touch Mario anyway you want, and Doc would still be decloned that way.

Though Dr. Mario should be slightly faster like that one buff Ike got to his frame data, where he's faster, but is still the "slow yet powerful" Mario that I prefer more.

PK Gaming

They also need to make it so that Doc's recovery isn't the 2nd worst recovery in the game

His kit doesn't justify having a recovery so bad

Pls

Give me Astaroth/Tira instead. :3
Sorry but Nightmare is so representative of Soul Calibur that he's in the team's logo itself. Anyone getting in before him doesn't make much sense :p

I've always been curious about that, actually.

Lets think of, say, an alternate timeline where Nintendo sadly didn't reach out to save Bayo 2 and Bayonetta remained a dead series. Obviously if it wasn't for all of that, Bayonetta most likely wouldn't of had such a push that she got by fans to get into Smash. So in that case, I wonder who would been considered the most "realistic" ballot winner besides her.
I come from an alternative dimension and I bring you screenshots :D
4%2Bashley.jpg

Draxal

My Top 5 wishlist.

1. M Tank from Advance Wars with Andy/Max/Sami piloting. Down Special is Andy Repair Neutral Special is Max Charged Shot and Forward Special is Sami Infantry rush.

This will never happen, but its the only proper way to do Advance Wars imho.

2. Inklings
3. Wolf
4. Ice Climbers
5. Ashley

They also need to make it so that Doc's recovery isn't the 2nd worst recovery in the game

His kit doesn't justify having a recovery so bad

He's far from having the second worse recovery in the game. Mac, Duck Hunt, and Falco have worse recoveries imo. Mac goes without saying, and DH and Falco have very easily exploitable recoveries that tend to be very linear or just don't travel very far.

Trust me, I'm (unfortunately) a Doc main. He can make it back from fair distances if you know what you're doing.

Anyone expecting/hoping for gameplay changes?

No but I feel like there could be a bit more "oomph" to attacks, outside the heavyweights sometimes things feel a bit soft, granted nowhere near Brawl levels at least.

And I'll continue fruitlessly hoping for stage hazard removal, damn it I just want those varied platform layouts without all the extra often insta-kill BS.

Oh and online overhauled, kinda sucks that for quick random play my only option might as well be "everything was final destination" mode, as someone who barely uses projectile based characters I can't help but gripe.

Oh yeah, I remember when I played Mario Kart 8 with its GAF community and thought "man, SSB using something like this would be great"
And then we got the belated mess that was tournament instead, urrgh.

NeonZ

I really hope we get an adventure mode out of this. They already have enemies from Smash Run, so they'd only need to model areas. And, really, I think most people would be happy if they reuse backgrounds and other assets from the battle stages since it'd make them Nintendo themed.

Top Bottom