• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

I really hope we get an adventure mode out of this. They already have enemies from Smash Run, so they'd only need to model areas. And, really, I think most people would be happy if they reuse backgrounds and other assets from the battle stages since it'd make them Nintendo themed.

Honestly with the Switch's focus on portablity and everyone having their own screen, I'd rather they just port over Smash Run from the 3DS version and build on it.

Honestly with the Switch's focus on portablity and everyone having their own screen, I'd rather they just port over Smash Run from the 3DS version and build on it.

Same. Probably my favorite exclusive mode of any Smash.

New enemies, an expanded music selection and, of course, on-screen multiplayer are musts.

Golnei

Same. Probably my favorite exclusive mode of any Smash.

New enemies, an expanded music selection and, of course, on-screen multiplayer are musts.

An expanded Smash Run with on-map player interaction and maybe a few more maps - most likely smaller than the main one; (which could also benefit from the ability to run into other players on the map) and potentially using the assets of 2D games in a similar manner to the retro stages, could be a good way to provide more variety without a huge resource expenditure, and for series with more applicable enemies like Metroid and Zelda, keeping the enemies that inhabit them limited to a single franchise (possibly with a couple of assist trophies like Ghirahim and Dark Samus repurposed as enemies as well) could make each one even more distinct.

For a more comprehensive 'adventure mode', maybe they can take the Smash 3DS assets and do a spinoff gacha RPG on mobile.

I'm still gonna ask for a Touhou rep no matter how impossible it is.

I already have my mii fighters made so don't suggest that :V

edit: w a h

Problem with is that they would probably pick one of the big three: Reimu, Marisa or Sakuya. While they are all great (especially sakuya) id rather other touhou characters like Reisen, Alice, Yukari or even Kokoro.

Picturing a projectile heavy character in smash while being balanced seems a bit hard though.....hong meiling might get away with it since her proprojectile game is not that strong and knows a good amout of martial arts.

The only projectile heavy characters in smash currently are (only thinking about defaults, no customs): Mii gunner, Samus, Megaman (the best attemp imho), Peach kinda, Robin, Ness, Lucas, Link, Toon Link, Koopa kids, R.O.B, Duck Hunt Trio, Wii Fit Trainer (<3) and Pacman. Zelda to a extent along with Shiek. Some are swing and miss when it comes to their zoning game.
Snake was amazing with this.....

Im probably forgetting one or two but you get what im trying to say, converting a Touhou character too smash while maintaining their flurry of bullets would be kinda hard.

Someone should make a Alice skin mod for Rosalina now that i think about it.

*turns off old Touhou fan mode*

An expanded Smash Run with on-map player interaction and maybe a few more maps - most likely smaller than the main one; (which could also benefit from the ability to run into other players on the map) and potentially using the assets of 2D games in a similar manner to the retro stages, could be a good way to provide more variety without a huge resource expenditure, and for series with more applicable enemies like Metroid and Zelda, keeping the enemies that inhabit them limited to a single franchise (possibly with a couple of assist trophies like Ghirahim and Dark Samus repurposed as enemies as well) could make each one even more distinct.

For a more comprehensive 'adventure mode', maybe they can take the Smash 3DS assets and do a spinoff gacha RPG on mobile.

Oh, I've always really liked that idea. Smash Run already has an event where the players are assigned to take down a more powerful enemy (Reaper, Bonkers, Bulborb, etc). It'd be cool if they took that a step further and used the established villainous or rival assist trophy characters as special/rare mini-bosses, especially since Smash Run already borrowed enemy ATs like Chain Chomp, Hammer Bros, etc from the main game. There's a handful of good candidates that could work.

Mother Brain
Dark Samus
Waluigi
Phosphora
Elec Man
Ghirahim
Knuckle Joe (technically a generic enemy type but...)

What's interesting is that most of these ATs actually can flinch when hit, and some of them like Mother Brain and Dark Samus can even be downright defeated if hit enough.

They should have it that when you defeat Waluigi, you're rewarded with absolutely nothing lol.

Would love Inkling to come over. Just wondering how to get ink mechanics to transition over without being broken. For example, whether to have ink within a short distance of an attack disappear along with the ink covered by an attack so as to make removing ink not a completely miserable task for characters with poor mobility and range.

Also whether to make Inklings unable to roll swim or spotdodge without ink because that'd be funny.

Another character I'd like to come over is Jack-O from Guilty Gear. Kinda left field since ArcSys is nowhere near as big as the likes of Capcom or Namco (and she's not even the face of the series she's from), but I'd like to see how well her ghost/servant mechanic would transition over to Smash where there's more stage to control and where characters are more mobile. And hey, ArcSys is listed as a Switch partner...

Aaaaaaaaand now I want Guilty Gear NXrd.

My Top 5 wishlist.

1. M Tank from Advance Wars with Andy/Max/Sami piloting. Down Special is Andy Repair Neutral Special is Max Charged Shot and Forward Special is Sami Infantry rush.

This will never happen, but its the only proper way to do Advance Wars imho.

...Hm, actually, I think you could get Andy or another CO into Smash proper and in a way more a little more representative of AW if you have them building (as opposed to capturing) factories/airports/seaports to spawn minions a la Jack-O. I'm just wondering how it'd all look. Like, how big should the tanks and the factory should be, whether they should be pixelated, how big Andy would be compared to the factory, and so on.

Anyone expecting/hoping for gameplay changes?

Don't want gameplay changes per se, but...

A button on the CSS to set up buttons.
Button check on the CSS itself.
Another button on the CSS for quick customs setup. Press that button then press A/Y/X to individually set each of your Bs as 1/2/3 starting with neutral B.
All customs unlocked from the start, goddamnit.

Basically anything that could reduce downtime in tourneys + customs to shake up the meta.

If a enhance port of Smash gets released, I hope the Box Art has all he DLC/Third Party Characters on the Cover. Well maybe not Roy or Lucas.

If a enhance port of Smash gets released, I hope the Box Art has all he DLC/Third Party Characters on the Cover. Well maybe not Roy or Lucas.

There is a "full version" of Smash 4's cover art that has all the third parties on the base roster.

3RSE7Abh.jpg

Always thought it was weird how they shoved Shulk on here.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I always enjoy that cover art since it was pretty dynamic. I'm glad that they managed to put all characters up there but I would love it even more if they would manage to put all characters up there.

If we are going to get new characters in Super Smash Bros for Switch, then I'm definitely going to be so hype for those new works from Quas-Quas. Hopefully he would add newcomers and veterans to couple of his previous works.

I'm going to post the examples so people would know who I'm talking about. Quas-Quas is an artist who worked on the those gorgeous works.

PK Gaming

He's far from having the second worse recovery in the game. Mac, Duck Hunt, and Falco have worse recoveries imo. Mac goes without saying, and DH and Falco have very easily exploitable recoveries that tend to be very linear or just don't travel very far.

Trust me, I'm (unfortunately) a Doc main. He can make it back from fair distances if you know what you're doing.

Impossible. Impossible, absolutely impossible. I could not disagree more.

Doctor Mario's recovery is comically bad. He's got subpar air mobility and an up B that barely gets any distance. Falco and DH have interceptable recoveries, but getting on stage is fairly realistic for them. Doctor Mario can be KOed with basic edgeguarding.

NRgloXd.gif

I'm not saying this out of malice or arrogance. His recovery is really, really, really that bad. Only Little Mac's is worse.

RomanceDawn

Man with the Switch just around the corner Smash speculation feels real again! I have no doubt that Sakurai went on to work on this right after DLC was completed so I am expected some significant upgrades.

We know Sakurai has his personal feelings and vision about certain things but I hope to high heaven he has reconsidered the following.

- Playable Takamaru
- Stage Hazard Toggle
- Miis Online with randoms
- Wario's Shoulder Tackle
and above all
- Better Tournament Mode
- Playable Ridley(In before Ballad's" literally too big" statement)

These were things that were brought to his attention during
development that were made public. For all of them I just don't know, but the fact that journalists and such brought them up at all tells me that Sakurai is even more aware of what some of us vocal people really want.

As for other characters that weren't discussed at all I feel like there is a lot of hope for them just based on the ballot and what ever the devil Miiverse put out over the years.

Impossible. Impossible, absolutely impossible. I could not disagree more.

Doctor Mario's recovery is comically bad. He's got subpar air mobility and an up B that barely gets any distance. Falco and DH have interceptable recoveries, but getting on stage is fairly realistic for them. Doctor Mario can be KOed with basic edgeguarding.

I'm not saying this out of malice or arrogance. His recovery is really, really, really that bad. Only Little Mac's is worse.
Play a real Doc like me and see how bad his recovery is then ;)

Believe me when I say he can definitely make it back as long as its not someone like Marth who could edge guard.

PK Gaming

Play a real Doc like me and see how bad his recovery is then ;)

Believe me when I say he can definitely make it back as long as its not someone like Marth who could edge guard.

Look, it doesn't matter how many times you say it, your experiences don't overturn cold, hard facts. Recovering with Doctor Mario isn't impossible, but he clearly has a harder time doing it than 95% of the cast.

And come on, we aren't ninth graders! You could wreck me one thousand times and I still wouldn't change my stance.

Look, it doesn't matter how many times you say it, your experiences don't overturn cold, hard facts. Recovering with Doctor Mario isn't impossible, but he clearly has a harder time doing it than 95% of the cast.

And come on, we aren't ninth graders! You could wreck me one thousand times and I still wouldn't change my stance.
And I'm saying that it's not that bad. I played the damn character in tournaments, I don't need to fight ZeRo to know what proper edge guarding looks like and yet I've still been able to make it back from fairly far distances. Plenty of actual Doc players know this. If you know how to recover intelligently (as in not putting yourself in incredibly vulnerable situations) you can make it back as easily as anyone. Hell ask people who've played me how "bad" Doc's recovery is.

It's quite simple how his recovery works if you ever played a game of Melee, where his recovery was arguably worse. There you had no air dodging unless you wanted to make yourself helpless, and his offstage game was even less threatening. He couldn't even wall jump and yet I'd hesitate to say his recovery was in the bottom 3 of that game.
Oh you >.>

Most needed newcomer is Dragon Quest's "Hero". One of the most popular game series in Japan, with every mainline game being playable on a Nintendo system.

Use the hero from 3 as the default:
fttig5L.jpg

With heroes from 1, 5 and 8 as alts:
LTiqrlJ.jpg
N2yqp0E.png
gzK7E0O.jpg

With a moveset made from Dragon Quest spells and abilities. Would be incredible.

Kouichi

I finally got around to playing Shovel Knight recently, and now I want him in Smash more than anyone. I have a tiny bit of hope that he'll make it into the enhanced port.

Most needed newcomer is Dragon Quest's "Hero". One of the most popular game series in Japan, with every mainline game being playable on a Nintendo system.

Use the hero from 3 as the default:
fttig5L.jpg

With heroes from 1, 5 and 8 as alts:
LTiqrlJ.jpg
N2yqp0E.png
gzK7E0O.jpg

With a moveset made from Dragon Quest spells and abilities. Would be incredible.

Meh, I dunno. Dragon Quest doesn't really have the same international appeal the other third parties in Smash do. Dragon Quest is popular in Japan, as you stated, but series like Metal Gear, Sonic, Final Fantasy, etc are popular or at least well known worldwide. The only third party franchises left that fit this criteria are basically Resident Evil, Tekken and I suppose Crash Bandicoot.

Meh, I dunno. Dragon Quest doesn't really have the same international appeal the other third parties in Smash do. Dragon Quest is popular in Japan, as you stated, but series like Metal Gear, Sonic, Final Fantasy, etc are popular or at least well known worldwide. The only third party franchises left that fit this criteria are basically Resident Evil, Tekken and I suppose Crash Bandicoot.

Pfft, they said the same thing about Fire Emblem. Remember those two "literally who" swordsmen they added in Melee?

Pfft, they said the same thing about Fire Emblem. Remember those two "literally who" swordsmen they added in Melee?

We were really lucky we got Marth and Roy in Melee. Remember Sakurai was planning on completely removing them from the western releases of Melee due to FE being obscure over there at the time.

Regardless, the inclusion of third party characters are a much, much bigger deal than the inclusion of any old Nintendo character, so I don't really understand why people keep comparing them. It reminds me of folks trying to justify characters like Shovel Knight because "Well, Shulk, Palutena, Robin, etc aren't that well known either!". It just isn't the same thing. Unless they win a ballot like Bayonetta did, I just don't see Sakurai adding third party characters that are only popular in one region, like Rayman, Scorpion, Lara Croft, Dragon Quest characters, etc

I really want to see the Ballot results for all 3 regions, their Top 10-20 or so choices.

Someone like Shovel Knight must be being fairly popular in NA and EU, but is very "what the hell is a shovel knight and why do we want him in smash" for the Japanese.

You can argue that "Well, Sakurai didn't mention how Bayonetta did in Japan's ballot results" but here's the thing, at least Bayonetta has some presence in Japan, being owned by SEGA and Platinum Games, popular game companies worldwide, and has had 2 critically acclaimed games out before Smash 4's release. Shovel Knight had jack shit in Japan by the time the Ballot was wrapping up, popular in the US and parts of Europe, sure, but Japan, lolno?

We were really lucky we got Marth and Roy in Melee. Remember Sakurai was planning on completely removing them from the western releases of Melee due to FE being obscure over there at the time.

Yeah, and they were kept in because American playtesters thought they were cool. DQ is cool :3

It wouldn't even be the first time Sakurai added some obscure character mostly popular in Japan. After all, Mother 3 was never localized :O

Yeah, and they were kept in because American playtesters thought they were cool. DQ is cool :3

It wouldn't even be the first time Sakurai added some obscure character mostly popular in Japan. After all, Mother 3 was never localized :O

Funny enough, we were actually really lucky we got Lucas as well.

Source Gaming discovered something damning: If Sakurai knew that Mother 3 wasn't planned to be released overseas, he wouldn't of included Lucas. I suppose it was too late to cut him when he found out.

So yeah, it's a miracle we managed to get Marth, Roy, and Lucas in Smash. Otherwise Sakurai seems very hellbent on excluding JP only characters. Look at poor Takamaru, who got snubbed for this reason. But you know...after he planned the Smash 4 roster back in 2012, Mysterious Murasame Castle actually HAS been released in the west on the 3DS Eshop, so...maybe there's a chance now?

PK Gaming

And I'm saying that it's not that bad. I played the damn character in tournaments, I don't need to fight ZeRo to know what proper edge guarding looks like and yet I've still been able to make it back from fairly far distances. Plenty of actual Doc players know this. If you know how to recover intelligently (as in not putting yourself in incredibly vulnerable situations) you can make it back as easily as anyone. Hell ask people who've played me how "bad" Doc's recovery is.

It's quite simple how his recovery works if you ever played a game of Melee, where his recovery was arguably worse. There you had no air dodging unless you wanted to make yourself helpless, and his offstage game was even less threatening. He couldn't even wall jump and yet I'd hesitate to say his recovery was in the bottom 3 of that game.

I actually believe you. You seem like the type of person who does well at their local tournaments (or at the very least, plays a lot of smash), and recovering with Doc isn't exactly the hardest thing in the world. Plus top Doctor Mario players like 2ManyCooks don't get edge-guarded that often.

But that still doesn't change the fact that relative to the cast, Doctor Mario's recovery is terrible, terrible, terrible. Thing is, you're basically saying "it's not that bad because I said so" and not giving me concrete reasons for why his recovery "isn't that bad" outside of recovering intelligently. Like, there's just no refuting hard facts.

Doc's lowish jumps, slow air speed, slow air speed acceleration and pathetically low distance on his up B contribute are all reasons for his recovery being bad. You could be the best player in the world, but you can't change objective truths.

You know who has a bad recovery? Yoshi. Just footstool him or make him waste his eggs and he should be dead. If he is ever stage spiked without a jump, teching doesn't even help.

FSLink

Banned
I actually believe you. You seem like the type of person who does well at their local tournaments (or at the very least, plays a lot of smash), and recovering with Doc isn't exactly the hardest thing in the world. Plus top Doctor Mario players like 2ManyCooks don't get edge-guarded that often.

But that still doesn't change the fact that relative to the cast, Doctor Mario's recovery is terrible, terrible, terrible. Thing is, you're basically saying "it's not that bad because I said so" and not giving me concrete reasons for why his recovery "isn't that bad" outside of recovering intelligently. Like, there's just no refuting hard facts.

Doc's lowish jumps, slow air speed, slow air speed acceleration and pathetically low distance on his up B contribute are all reasons for his recovery being bad. You could be the best player in the world, but you can't change objective truths.

The slow air speed + acceleration is more damning than his linear recovery honestly. It just makes his linear recovery even easier to intercept.
Knowing how to recover intelligently doesn't matter at higher levels when people at higher levels know how to put you in really bad situations.
Having said that, Dr. Mario's on-stage game is still pretty good so he can avoid being put off stage for awhile especially since he's a rare character that most people don't know how to play against.

And it's pretty hard to intentionally footstool a good Yoshi.

Also:

https://youtu.be/5rqOjb70C24?t=203

My teammate and I got the #2 most anime Smash 4 moment on Plasma Smash LOL

Who?

Dragon Quest should be included because the filthy westerners that don't appreciate it are wrong and need to be exposed to it to realise the error of their ways.

PK Gaming

The slow air speed + acceleration is more damning than his linear recovery honestly. It just makes his linear recovery even easier to intercept.
Knowing how to recover intelligently doesn't matter at higher levels when people at higher levels know how to put you in really bad situations.
Having said that, Dr. Mario's on-stage game is still pretty good so he can avoid being put off stage for awhile especially since he's a rare character that most people don't know how to play against.

And it's pretty hard to intentionally footstool a good Yoshi.

Also:

https://youtu.be/5rqOjb70C24?t=203

My teammate and I got the #2 most anime Smash 4 moment on Plasma Smash LOL

That was some Hajime no Ippo shit right there

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I'm very glad that some staffs at Nintendo of America fought for Marth to be remained in Melee because it really open the gate for Fire Emblem to be release in the West. Now we have 6 Fire Emblem characters. How Irony.

I think people would lose their shit over Crash being in Smash. Lol

People are going to lose their shit over Crash being in Smash for a bad reason ;P

Ryce

Honestly, for as popular as series like Tekken and Dragon Quest are, they just aren’t a very exciting prospect for Smash Bros. It’s hard to imagine people losing their shit over someone like Heihachi. The guests already featured in Smash Bros. have an “it factor” that no remaining characters seem to possess. It’ll be interesting to see how Sakurai handles third-parties in the future.

Top Bottom