• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Ryce

Sakurai likes to pose Microman figures for Smash Bros. animation reference, having them hold accessories if needed. That article mentions Sakurai specifically needing the rifle for reference. So, yeah, it's probably Inkling.

Isn't it a bit late for him to be using Microman figures like that? I thought he did that really early in development of these games.

Ryce

Isn't it a bit late for him to be using Microman figures like that? I thought he did that really early in development of these games.
He does, but we'd have to see the full interview to really know what he's talking about. The figure probably came up naturally during conversation, and we don't know what he means by "recently."

Stealth, a Twitter user with insider knowledge, doesn't seem to think Sakurai's working directly on Smash Switch.

I am not sure what Sakurai is working on for Switch, but he is clearly not working on Smash Bros. right now.

The mech that Sakurai posted is not a hint that his game is a mech game, just that he wanted to study the arm rifle. So who knows.

Yeah, I am sure Sakurai is consulting with Namco on the Smash Wii U Switch port, but he is really not working on Smash Bros.

Agh, January 12th can't come soon enough!

Neoxon

Stealth, a Twitter user with insider knowledge, doesn't seem to think Sakurai's working directly on Smash Switch.

Agh, January 12th can't come soon enough!
While I'm not sure about Stealth's credibility beyond that one Nintendo Direct leak, Sakurai not being directly involved with the Switch port of Smash 4 could explain why Laura thought its enhancements were "minimal" (which would tie into Source Gaming hearing about only 2 more characters & some 3DS content).

While I'm not sure about Stealth's credibility beyond that one Nintendo Direct leak, Sakurai not being directly involved with the Switch port of Smash 4 could explain why Laura thought its enhancements were "minimal" (which would tie into Source Gaming hearing about only 2 more characters & some 3DS content).

Had the same thought when Laura dropped that. Sakurai must've been dying to move on.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Sorry about double posts.

Sakurai likes to pose Microman figures for Smash Bros. animation reference, having them hold accessories if needed. That article mentions Sakurai specifically needing the rifle for reference. So, yeah, it's probably Inkling.

It's more likely to be Inkling, or it could be something for Sakurai's future project. I meant rifle as reference, so there are several characters that could need it, like Resident Evil character, Master Chief, Advance Wars, Splatoon's Inkling, etc. With logical of elimination, It's more likely to be Inkling or a new project. Either way.

Well, it's really depend on usage of the term, "RECENT/RECENTLY." We don't really know anything yet but it's possible that they completed everything ahead of their schedule so they probably have enough time to add new contents to the port.

It's plausible that it could be for a brand new project. We basically don't know anything yet.

Zubz

Banned
I definitely think the mech hint's for a new project; even if Sakurai was hands-on, I feel like the animation for the Inklings would be much farther along by this point.

Still surprised it's going to be such a long wait for 2-3 characters, especially since it seems like work started awhile back, and assuming Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Chorus Kids are in there. I can't help but feel they're just about done and are just letting it sit there for months until they need a heavy holiday hitter.

I definitely think the mech hint's for a new project; even if Sakurai was hands-on, I feel like the animation for the Inklings would be much farther along by this point.

Still surprised it's going to be such a long wait for 2-3 characters, especially since it seems like work started awhile back, and assuming Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Chorus Kids are in there. I can't help but feel they're just about done and are just letting it sit there for months until they need a heavy holiday hitter.

You know there's other things they could of been doing besides adding some characters, right?

For example...adding content over from the 3DS version, giving the DLC characters (and the few new characters they're adding) their own custom moves and their own Palutena Guidances so they don't stick out as much on the base roster, etc.

Zubz

Banned
You know there's other things they could of been doing besides adding some characters, right?

For example...adding content over from the 3DS version, giving the DLC newcomers (and the few new characters they're adding) their own custom moves and their own Palutena Guidances so they don't stick out as much on the base roster, etc.

But that shouldn't take too long, either. Maybe just remodeling some of the 3DS stages/Smash Run enemies, editing a couple of moves, and writing 6 short scenes where Pit comments on how he missed fighting out on Mewtwo & Roy their first-time around and is glad they finally made it in.

Assuming work on the project started when/around they wrapped wrapped with Bayonetta 10 months ago, I'd imagine they'd be close to finishing up by now.

Let's avatar bet, then.

At launch, if there are less than 8 new characters included (and I'll be generous and let veterans be included in "new"), then I win and you wear an avatar of my choosing for a month. If there are 8 or more new characters (same generosity) included at launch, then you win.

Deal?
A bit late since I only check this thread every few weeks but deal!

I am pretty confident in my atleast 8 "new" characters. Unless of course
all rumors are wrong and there is no Smash port/sequel. Then everyone loses. D:

But nonetheless I will 100% take the deal because I can't see there only being 2 or 5 or any low amount.

Zubz

Banned
I don't even know if I'm going to hop onto the game immediately if we just get Ice Climbers, Chorus Kids, and Wolf, but I've consigned myself to expecting only a few characters. Even though I wanted a cavalcade of bonus characters.

Net

A bit late since I only check this thread every few weeks but deal!

I am pretty confident in my atleast 8 "new" characters. Unless of course
all rumors are wrong and there is no Smash port/sequel. Then everyone loses. D:

But nonetheless I will 100% take the deal because I can't see there only being 2 or 5 or any low amount.

I think you are gravely underestimating how much work goes into a single fighting game character. Once upon a time 8 characters was enough for an entire game's roster.

Just playing with the notion, what if he's right with the fact that Sakurai isn't fully involved with Smash for Switch?

I mean we know Sakurai has wanted a break from Smash for awhile, that's not really going out on a limb. When you compare what Stealth has said historically as a leak and been correct about its shit that many people were already speculating or guessing, or was so vague that the true parts were surrounded by so much speculation they weren't useful anyways (like when he knew the next smash bros character because he had seen the shovel knight amiibo early and said next smash char would be announced soon). Compare to someone like Ryce and its very clear who actually has good quality info and who doesn't.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I mean we know Sakurai has wanted a break from Smash for awhile, that's not really going out on a limb. When you compare what Stealth has said historically as a leak and been correct about its shit that many people were already speculating or guessing, or was so vague that the true parts were surrounded by so much speculation they weren't useful anyways (like when he knew the next smash bros character because he had seen the shovel knight amiibo early and said next smash char would be announced soon). Compare to someone like Ryce and its very clear who actually has good quality info and who doesn't.

I'm not talking about sources or leaks right now so it's getting off the point right now.

I just want to see how people would feel about the scenario with Sakurai currently not working on Smash Bros for Switch?

I'm not talking about sources or leaks right now so it's getting off the point right now.

I just want to see how people would feel about the scenario with Sakurai currently not working on Smash Bros for Switch?

I think its totally possible, I imagine he might have taken more of an advisory role after he got inkling (or whatever new comer's) moveset in stone.

SalvaPot

bf0.gif

Playable Custom Robo in Sm4sh Switch, anyone?

↑ Nice one!

I'd honestly kill to have Ray 01 in Smash. Loved Custom Robo back on Gamecube. Unfortunately, minor second party developed franchises never really score well in Smash outside of assist trophy/regular trophy cameos, so I wouldn't expect him. Hell, they actually got rid of Ray MK III's AT from Brawl, so they obviously don't give a shit about that franchise, sadly.

The AT cuts in Smash 4 were weird.

Excite Bike? Isaac? Ray? What was the point? Barbara has a trophy, so it's not like they even lacked an updated model for her...

The only cut Assist Trophies should have been Gray Fox and Little Mac (and maybe Resetti)...

They could've repurposed Brawl Little Mac's Assist Trophy data for some other Punch Out character like Mr. Sandman, or make a Ken assist for Ryu's DLC pack.

Or Hitmonchan as a Pokeball. And bring back Hitmonlee which I'm pretty sure they wanted to do because he's a trophy for some reason and it explicitly mentions his Smash 64 appearance.

Also Koffing is in Smash Run, and other than moving around, behaves the same as he did in 64 and they didn't bring him back :(

I think I know what character Sakurai would need gun pose references for...

:p

Just playing with the notion, what if he's right with the fact that Sakurai isn't fully involved with Smash for Switch?
I'm not fussed who makes smash as long as it's fun to play :3
I honestly think Sakurai should have really started preparing some apprentices to initially help out with the franchise but eventually take it over when he tires of game design or just in case something happens to him.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I appreciate that someone pointed it out with Laura's leak.

Only the Euro/NA side, and largely from a third party perspective (obviously Ubi).

Notice how we still don't have a lip from what Retro is doing, we only barely have a rumor on NERD being responsible for the VC, weird rumors on Metroid, not a peep from Xenoblade's follow up, nothing from Japan even though we know there's support, etc. Only Mario has actually leaked from internals, and that was revealed by Nintendo themselves.

Shows her info is rather limited to the Eurozone and the US.

Its obviously Ubisoft, and a small splinter probably at Treehouse but the info she's getting from Treehouse is considerably thinner.

It really resonated with my thoughts about Laura's leaks because I have a strong feeling that she don't really know everything about Nintendo and their projects at the moment but she tried to her best to report everything she heard from the rumors. I'm confident enough to assume that Laura probably used SourceGaming's rumor for her comment, Smash Bros for Switch = minimal contents. If you don't agree with me then feel free to call me out on that. I felt that the timing for SourceGaming's reports and Laura's reports were too coincidence for that to happens. IF Laura actually got a words on Smash Bros for Switch from her own source then I'm fine with that.

Now, It's plausible that source(s) which SourceGaming and Laura got their informations from could have limited knowledge with what's going on with Smash Bros development and probably saw some certain information for the marketing plan for the event or localization for marketing, media or/and websites purpose.

I meant we should learn things about Gematsu leak because we were so sure that those characters that are mentioned in the leaks were going to be in the game. Thankfully Robin trailer surprised most of us and most of us realized that the leak had outdated information since everything could change during the development like Chrom's inclusion. And we figured that the leak list is more likely to not be completed so it wasn't that long until we found out about Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr.. My point is there is a chance he sources (SourceGaming and Laura) might not know everything about Smash Bros development, and went with what they already know.

Laura's source is more likely to come from Nintendo of Europe and Ubisoft, and I have no idea where SourceGaming got their rumors from, but I would like to assume that it's more likely to come from same circle of source. I would feel more confident about the rumors if it came straight from someone in Japan (like Gematsu) because I don't think Nintendo would share everything with non-upper level workers at Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo of America. They usually send a lot of informations to non-upper level workers when they need them to get translated or used the materials for marketing reasons. Also it's plausible Sakurai was really affected by the leaks and they are trying to lock it down and keep everything in dark this time. According to ex-Nintendo staff, he was really upset about the leaks. I would imagine that he probably would try to find way to avoid the leaks again.

I'm saying that it's okay to stay hopeful for more characters and contents at long you are going to set your expectation to low as possible (like 2 characters and 5 stages) so people wouldn't throw a hissy fit and meltdowns then they didn't get what they want. If we actually got two characters then there would be a good reason for it tho.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My predictions are:
Gary Barlow
Your mum
Urban Champion

I'll even donate a prize to the contest. Though of course there's no point in me saying what it is since I'll just be shipping it to myself since I'm already won.

Top Bottom