• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
What trick is this?

I have a capture card, but curious about it so my friends can get some screenshots too.

Taking a picture with L or R while paused, and copying them directly from the folder they're saved to on the SD card on a PC, I'm assuming.

Edit: Or what StreetsAhead said.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
For all those curious, who haven't been notified already...

Smash online netcode is pretty good. Serious issues with 4 player rooms, that I hope will be addressed. Have a full video review going up in a bit.

In any fighting game, it's important to recognize the difference between "this character is bad", and "I am not good at using this character". I am solid at fighting games, but I usually can't play "easy mode" top tier characters for crap. They just never make sense to me like they make sense to others. Many mid tier characters make much more sense to me, and I do well with them.

Smash online netcode is pretty good. Serious issues with 4 player rooms, that I hope will be addressed. Have a full video review going up in a bit.
Max, can you compare it to Marvel netcode?

In any fighting game, it's important to recognize the difference between "this character is bad", and "I am not good at using this character". I am solid at fighting games, but I usually can't play "easy mode" top tier characters for crap. They just never make sense to me like they make sense to others. Many mid tier characters make much more sense to me, and I do well with them.

My friends and I used to think Olimar was just unplayable. Only later did I find out that he was actually really high-tier.
Big difference for sure.

Sweet! Can't wait to hear what you have to say, Max.

So damn happy about hearing mostly great things about the online netcode for Smash. I need this game already!

FSLink

Banned

Yup. Ness definitely did feel nerfed though to me, but it seems that some of his advantages in previous games stayed, like his back throw killing reliably...so in this engine he works out rather well. I also wasn't saying stuff as gospel, it was just first impression. :p Glad I'm wrong though, I love Ness, used him in 64 and Melee a lot, and mained Lucas in Brawl/Project M.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House

Better. Only because I've compared West to East coast USA connections, and if it's a good one on both ends, it felt great. When it doesn't feel great tho, it's very bad. I'd compare it to SF4/Injustice netcode.

Xux

Anyone think there's any possibility that we could get a Battlefield version of each stage sometime in a large update? It really wouldn't take too much effort on their part. Take the FD/Omega form, slap a few platforms of the same style onto it wherever you like, and set the stage selection X button to scroll through Normal>Omega>Battlefield.

I can always dream...
A stage hazard toggle would be infinitely easier to implement (depending on the stage, obviously)
Yeah, both of these are great ideas. The whole omega thing seems to miss the point for the most part.

Makai

Of course. But I don't think anybody's "figured out" Mega Man and they may never will. Some people think Little Mac could counter a few characters. The rest are up in the air.

Mik317

My friends and I used to think Olimar was just unplayable. Only later did I find out that he was actually really high-tier.
Big difference for sure.

Lol. Olimar is the strangest smash character ever for me. I felt like he wasn't that good... But I was winning a lot with him and easily.

Shit didn't make sense Dammit

Josephl64

went online for a couple matches against random people today since I literally just got it. It's pretty good, but 4 players online worldwide has some problems. Haven't tried playing with people on my friend's list and probably will have to look up where the option is.

Rosalina is still hard for me to get the hang of :/

Makai

went online for a couple matches against random people today since I literally just got it. It's pretty good, but 4 players online worldwide has some problems. Haven't tried playing with people on my friend's list and probably will have to look up where the option is.

Rosalina is still hard for me to get the hang of :/
DK and Diddy menu.

Neiteio

Found some new trophies
including Impa, Goron, Sheriff, UFO( from Magicant), Super Leaf, Smart Bomb, Star Rod and Lion (Game & Watch)
The count without presumed trophies is 623
http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Trophies_in_Super_Smash_Bros._for_Nintendo_3DS/_Wii_U
Also uploaded a few more screencaps
http://imgur.com/a/bXgI1#0
Oh man, you're the BEST. Keep 'em coming! Rumor has it there is around 680 trophies, so if you've found around 620 so far, there'd be around 60 more remaining. Hopefully there'll be more Xenoblade trophies. :)

Revven

Video just rendered. Here's 7 minutes straight of me reviewing the netcode/online playability of Smash 3DS.

SMASH BROTHERS 4: Online & Netcode Review by Maximilian (3DS)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHTu_enmemQ

I was waiting for this, you usually know what you're talking about with online and netcode. It's nice to hear that, generally speaking, when the online/connection is good the gameplay is actually very good and has little input delay. Really happy to hear that.

I hope you're also learning the game more as you're playing it compared to the previous games! :)

Masked Man

I said wow
Speaking of Dark Pit's theme, why the hell did Dark Pit get a unique victory theme, but Doctor Mario didn't? Rosalina got the Galaxy theme, so why couldn't Doc get a part of the actual Doctor Mario theme?

Honestly, I don't have a problem with Dark Pit, but even I don't understand why we get two versions of his theme song in the Sound Test. :/

Oh no! He's been so integral to the series soundtrack...at least we have a whole new flood of talent (mostly Namco dudes) covering for him.

Do you know if he was responsible for any of the Mother songs in Melee, btw?

That's a good question! Since he was involved in Press Start and they performed the Mother 1 medley from Melee, I would suspect he was behind it, but I'll ask him next time I see him!

nobody told me that HFT did the icon pose

this is acceptable.

dat flexibility <3

Neiteio

yaEU6LR.jpg

h79xHkp.jpg

pEDq4oK.jpg

l0mvoKQ.jpg

It's such a shame that Miiverse shots aren't possible for this game.
Awesome shots! Can you do me a solid and take a pic of Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt and Pac-Man (all default colors) standing together on Final Destination Mute City? :-D

(I understand either way)

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Yeah, it is really weird to have better matches with Japanese people than Americans. I guess this is common to online games but I've never noticed it before.

Guess you're running into similar things I am. Oddly enough, the worst connections I've had are with people that are in the same city as I.

Most the JP connections, outside 4 player which is consistently bad, felt really good.

That's a good question! Since he was involved in Press Start and they performed the Mother 1 medley from Melee, I would suspect he was behind it, but I'll ask him next time I see him!

The Pollyanna arrangement is probably my favorite piece of VGM ever and I've always wanted to know who was behind it, so I'd appreciate it!

Honestly, I don't have a problem with Dark Pit, but even I don't understand why we get two versions of his theme song in the Sound Test. :/

Oh wow really? lol

FSLink

Banned

Yeah the 2nd version isn't even used anywhere is it? Outside of Smash Run/Sound Test.
Probably just a preview for the Wii U version...for some reason.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Dude looks way more expressive then he was in Brawl where it seemed like his face was partially frozen. Looked really nice in footage too, was missing that weird jittery, G&W-style movement he had in the last game as well.

I would says that all characters finally have their own expressions and personality which made them popped out in the game. They did very good job with the game so far. I can't wait!

Yeah, it is really weird to have better matches with Japanese people than Americans. I guess this is common to online games but I've never noticed it before.

I had similar situation with japanese players. Apparently Japan have better internet interface system there so that might explain a lot about them having better internet from what I heard.

Azure J

I'm still a bit raw about so many songs being locked away from Vs. mode. It would make the game feel a lot more content-rich, to be honest.

The new Mysterious Murasame Castle theme... It's SO good, it's almost unfair given Takamaru's situation and no stage to receive the theme on the 3DS version.

georly

On the flip side, Team Palutena is a pain to fight on 9.0 intensity. Frame perfect up smashes and auto reticles and being juggled by 3 of them, lol

Her up smash is seemingly her only redeeming move in classic mode :/ I'm not a fan of her at alllll. At least not default moveset. If customs are banned in tournaments, i hope they're not banned for her, at least.

What made brawl's online so bad? Anyone here know why? Honestly I think that games online did incredible disservice to the game and that knocks brawl down so many points for me compare to other smash. That was supposed to be the game!

What made brawl's online so bad? Anyone here know why? Honestly I think that games online did incredible disservice to the game and that knocks brawl down so many points for me compare to other smash. That was supposed to be the game!

Honestly, I think what happened is that Sakurai didn't plan on it because he didn't think it would be good enough to even bother, and was pressured to include it. This lead to a rushed online mode that couldn't hold up to expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom