• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

emb

I'm planning to immediately turn off the Gust Bellows! Any item where you can reliably get 2-3 KOs is a bad item. :p
More like 'is an amazing item.'

If items are on at all, I'm not hoping for any kind of tame, reasonable play.

Though honestly I plan to immediately turn off every item but Masterball.

georly

After having never played without items in 64, Melee, and Brawl, I think I may have unintentionally making the games worse. The demo is so much better with items off that I'm finding it hard to play with them now.

Nah. Items cause chaos and can interrupt your game. I understand wanting them off. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

Sponge

Banned
DRuCMfY.jpg

That is glorious. God bless America.

If you're doing more requests can you make an image with Jigglypuff, Iggy, Diddy, and DHD on the FD version of Jungle Japes?
I'd enjoy having an image of my favorite characters on my favorite stage :)

PKrockin

I think the dev. team never tested greater distance connections (they, after all, only released the Kyoto vs Tokyo online match on the Dojo), didn't expect people to actually try to play it much (remember Nintendo's whole mantra/belief about online at the time), and it's also possible the people they had programming the netcode had no real experience in programming good netcode that accounted for greater distances between players.

Whatever it was, it was bad netcode. Period. When your game has to set a large minimum of input lag, you know it's bad. (Brawl had a minimum of 6 frames of input lag no matter the connection between players -- you could never get the offline-like experience online on Brawl because of that).
There's an eighth second of lag against American players minimum.

Makaiiiiiii

Revven

Max's main is Mega Man?

I think he said at one point he was going to try and main him but I'm not sure if that's changed or not because of how relatively weak MM's zoning game seems to be compared to the other newcomers (like Duck Hunt and Palutena).

Masked Man

I said wow
The Pollyanna arrangement is probably my favorite piece of VGM ever and I've always wanted to know who was behind it, so I'd appreciate it!

Oh wow really? lol

Yeah, definitely! Honestly, for as much as the Mother series gets overlooked and underappreciated, at least the music gets the respect it deserves. I love that arrangement, too, although these two new 3DS arrangements might take the cake for me! :D

And yeah, there's "Dark Pit's Theme" and then there's "Black Pit," the theme from Chapter 6 (the one where you're chasing him after you escape from Pandora's trap dungeon). It's redundant to the point of being aggravating. They even included the original "Wrath of the Reset Bomb" in spite of already having a perfectly good arrangement created for Smash! I suspect they're just padding the 3DS version and saving stuff like

Yeah the 2nd version isn't even used anywhere is it? Outside of Smash Run/Sound Test.
Probably just a preview for the Wii U version...for some reason.

Nope, just Smash Run/Sound Test. It just feels wasteful, but whatever. As long as we get "Lightning Clash" in the Wii U version, I'll have no complaints!

Ugh, palutena is THE WORST. At least in classic mode. She does no damage at all.

Yeah, she's super-fun in VS Mode, but it's really hard when you're playing against CPUs that can read and immediately respond to your every move. :/ Still love her, though!

The new Mysterious Murasame Castle theme... It's SO good, it's almost unfair given Takamaru's situation and no stage to receive the theme on the 3DS version.

I know! It's a bummer you can only enjoy such an awesome arrangement in Smash Run and the Sound Test. The ooh-ooh-oohs are just perfect. <3

More like 'is an amazing item.'

If items are on at all, I'm not hoping for any kind of tame, reasonable play.

Though honestly I plan to immediately turn off every item but Masterball.

Honestly, other items can be dealt with. :v

Home-Run Bat? Well-timed dodge, then maybe a grab to combo the bat outta their hands!
Hammer? Projectiles and generally fleeing until it wears off! Plus it can misfire.
Golden Hammer? Same deal!
Poké Ball? Sometimes they're shitty!
Bob-omb/X-Bomb/Hocotate Rocket? Risk of death!

Gust Bellows? Easy to aim, you can move while you use it, and virtually every character can get KOed effortlessly because the item doesn't wear off in time for them to recover (even Villager can get destroyed if he or she is kept away well enough).

georly

Yeah, she's super-fun in VS Mode, but it's really hard when you're playing against CPUs that can read and immediately respond to your every move. :/ Still love her, though!

I felt bad dissing her knowing you'd be reading :p Not gonna lie, she's my least favorite newcomer :( I'm sorry!

I wish the demo had 6 characters and replaced Pikachu with Bowser and the 6th slot was Greninja, so you'd have 3 vets and 3 new comers and it wouldn't be so Smash 64 heavy. There's no Melee or Brawl character at all, so you either use the really standard fighter style characters or the really new, outside the box characters. There's no real middle ground, where Bowser and Greninja would have filled, Greninja being a more traditional new comer and Bowser receiving big changes that would be nice to learn before release.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Ha ha. Ganondorf so far is the closest we have to the Lu Bu in Hyrule Warriors. But if that update announcement coming up announces Volga and co as playable then that might change.

I wish the demo had 6 characters and replaced Pikachu with Bowser and the 6th slot was Greninja, so you'd have 3 vets and 3 new comers and it wouldn't be so Smash 64 heavy. There's no Melee or Brawl character at all, so you either use the really standard fighter style characters or the really new, outside the box characters. There's no real middle ground, where Bowser and Greninja would have filled, Greninja being a more traditional new comer and Bowser receiving big changes that would be nice to learn before release.

You and me both. Would have really liked to play as Bowser instead of Pikachu who I simply suck with and find uninteresting.

So here's a quick Wii U classic stages wishlist I drafted up:

Mario: Delfino Plaza
Zelda: Temple or Pirate Ship (Can't decide yet, hmm)
Metroid: Frigate Orpheon
Star Fox: Lylat Cruise
Yoshi: Yoshi's Island (the SMW one)
Kirby: Halberd (Already in!)
Pokémon: Pokéfloats
Mother: Onett
F-Zero: Port Town Aero Dive
Ice Climber: Summit (so we can remember our fallen duo...)

I'm planning to immediately turn off the Gust Bellows! Any item where you can reliably get 2-3 KOs is a bad item. :p

It's weird how I'm totally okay with the beetle yet I immediately get SS revulsions when I see the Gust Bellows lol. I'll be turning that off as well.

Neiteio

I haven't really seen any footage yet, but is Mac really that bad because of his air game?
Depends on the matchup. He actually shuts down some otherwise excellent characters (most notably Zelda). The strategy with him is to stay in the middle of the stage. Never leap offstage to intercept anyone. Let them come to you in the middle. He's an absolute monster on the ground.

georly

From what I've Mac seems to be pretty good as long as you don't go jumping off the stage after someone like an idiot.

Depends on the matchup. He actually shuts down some otherwise excellent characters (most notably Zelda). The strategy with him is to stay in the middle of the stage. Never leap offstage to intercept anyone. Let them come to you in the middle. He's an absolute monster on the ground.

I think mac may be strictly a counterpick. Like, he'll be really good against some, but not others, so you'd never want to start with him.

That makes it sound like his best stage is actually battlefield.

Are you taking image requests? Can I see an image with the red, white, and blue Sheik, Mario, and Little Mac colors, along with Olimar in his blue and white uniform with a Red, White, and Blue Pikmin behind him on the Final Destination form of the F-Zero track?
I need some freedom.

I took this one, but I obviously wasn't quick enough and didn't fulfill all the requirements.

I hate how they added that dumb crack into Ganondorf's chest from TP. So stupid and unnecessary.

Yea, I always like when character designs in Smash are more general and generic and don't reference a very specific design from a specific game. Adding the scar makes this TP Ganondorf. It doesn't just make it Ganondorf in general, while without the scar, it could be a little more general.

Neiteio

I want a pic of regular Duck Hunt, Dalmatian DH, Banjo-Kazooie DH, and another nice color, all frolicking together in Living Room (Final Destination)

so i finally unlocked a customization for monado arts and uh

it seems like the deal with it is it gives you more time to select an art before it locks it in but it also doesn't let you cancel out of it once it's started
so basically i'm not sure what the hell it's good for lol

here's the description in case i'm missing something and someone can tell me if it does more than that

&#33021;&#21147;&#29305;&#21270;&#12434;&#38263;&#12356;&#12354;&#12356;&#12384;&#32154;&#12369;&#12425;&#12428;&#12427;&#36884;&#20013;&#12391;&#35299;&#38500;&#12377;&#12427;&#12371;&#12392;&#12399;&#12391;&#12365;&#12394;&#12356;

GamerSoul

From what I've Mac seems to be pretty good as long as you don't go jumping off the stage after someone like an idiot.

I think mac may be strictly a counterpick. Like, he'll be really good against some, but not others, so you'd never want to start with him.

Thanks for the quick replies. And awesome, as long as he can be effective in some way I'll be happy to use him. Probably not much against Gaf when the time comes though lol.

Neiteio

Wait, is Zelda actually good now?
Very much so, if last night's New Jersey invitational is any indication. Look up the channel Clash Tournaments on YouTube, click on Videos, and look for the Zelda matchups.

Thanks for the quick replies. And awesome, as long as he can be effective in some way I'll be happy to use him. Probably not much against Gaf when the time comes though lol.
Like others said, Little Mac is safest as a counterpick. The game lets you change characters every match. It might be best to have another main you lead with to scout out your opponent, and then bring Mac off the bench as the situation dictates.

Guesong

Yea, I always like when character designs in Smash are more general and generic and don't reference a very specific design from a specific game. Adding the scar makes this TP Ganondorf. It doesn't just make it Ganondorf in general, while without the scar, it could be a little more general.

To be fair, Ganondorf is only really there in three games.

One of which is Wind Waker, which is not really applicable. (But oh, I so wish for dual-wielding Toon Ganondorf....)

Which leaves you with either leather-clad shaved and balding Ganondorf from OOT, or heavy steel-clad dread hair monster from TP. I'm struggling to see how they could mix the two designs.

So since they went TP, might as well go full TP.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
so i finally unlocked a customization for monado arts and uh

it seems like the deal with it is it gives you more time to select an art before it locks it in but it also doesn't let you cancel out of it once it's started
so basically i'm not sure what the hell it's good for lol

here's the description in case i'm missing something and someone can tell me if it does more than that

The effect lasts longer though. So pick carefully I guess. His other variation basically doubles the buff and debuff but lasts a shorter amount of time.

That is glorious. God bless America.

If you're doing more requests can you make an image with Jigglypuff, Iggy, Diddy, and DHD on the FD version of Jungle Japes?
I'd enjoy having an image of my favorite characters on my favorite stage :)

vI5UuSt.jpg

Can you take another one, on Magicant (Final Destination), with Bowser and Bowser Jr. on the left side, and Duck Hunt and R.O.B. on the other (in that order)?

*sweats profusely, typing with trembling hands*

This was the best I could do. Getting Level 1 CPUs to pose in place is a lot harder than it sounds.

CWezZIq.jpg

Xux

The new Mysterious Murasame Castle theme... It's SO good, it's almost unfair given Takamaru's situation and no stage to receive the theme on the 3DS version.
Jeeze, you're right. Reminds me of the best song in Brawl:
Tetris B.

To be fair, Ganondorf is only really there in three games.

One of which is Wind Waker, which is not really applicable. (But oh, I so wish for dual-wielding Toon Ganondorf....)

Which leaves you with either leather-clad shaved and balding Ganondorf from OOT, or heavy steel-clad dread hair monster from TP. I'm struggling to see how they could mix the two designs.

So since they went TP, might as well go full TP.
He didn't have the stupid scar in Brawl and it looked a lot better,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom