• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all those curious, who haven't been notified already...

Smash online netcode is pretty good. Serious issues with 4 player rooms, that I hope will be addressed. Have a full video review going up in a bit.

Awesome. As long as it is a step up from Brawl! I remember even 1v1 matches being at times terrible in that game. Looking forward to more Smash!

That's awfully specific, but okay.

RHln4x5.jpg

That's his fetish

In the "for glory" online mode, can anyone confirm there's a 1v1, team mode, and free for all available? Also, are the records kept separate between those modes or is it just a single W-L record across all for glory modes? I want to play no items with friends haha.

Lol. Olimar is the strangest smash character ever for me. I felt like he wasn't that good... But I was winning a lot with him and easily.

Shit didn't make sense Dammit
Considering that Olimar is my favorite ever Nintendo character, and that he's been simplified this time around, I'd really like to learn how to play as him.

The new Mysterious Murasame Castle theme... It's SO good, it's almost unfair given Takamaru's situation and no stage to receive the theme on the 3DS version.

I'm still counting on Takamaru being either the retro revival character or the bump for the Assist Trophy (hopefully Assist Trophy bump becomes a thing after Little Mac).

In the "for glory" online mode, can anyone confirm there's a 1v1, team mode, and free for all available? Also, are the records kept separate between those mode or is it just a single W-L record across all for glory modes? I want to play no items with friends haha. Thanks a lot.

Yes, you can choose 1v1, teams, and FFA, and yes, records are kept individually for each.

TheOGB

Banned
I'm still a bit raw about so many songs being locked away from Vs. mode. It would make the game feel a lot more content-rich, to be honest.
Yeah man, that shit really sucks. Music customization was like the best new thing from Brawl. I wish they could have had it where each stage had two songs available, but you could pick what two songs were available to switch from. Idk if that would have helped at all but damn :\

I just want to make sure the right version of Dark Pit's theme plays when I'm electroshocking fools

Panzon

Hey guys thinking about picking this game up at launch. Who's the best character thus far?

I hear the consensus on Greninja is pretty positive and many people seem to favor it at the moment. Disappointed to hear Little Mac and Megaman haven't quite panned out as well as I thought. To be fair I haven't been reading much on the game but some friend IRL don't seem to be enjoying some new characters

Honestly, I think what happened is that Sakurai didn't plan on it because he didn't think it would be good enough to even bother, and was pressured to include it. This lead to a rushed online mode that couldn't hold up to expectations.
Any reason to believe this?
I can't recall a single instance of bad Brawl Wi-Fi aside from launch/university connection woes.
Man Wi-Fi was so bad on brawl even if it was a good connection the slowness of brawl + the online delay lag it was atrocious.

Neiteio

Yeah man, that shit really sucks. Music customization was like the best new thing from Brawl. I wish they could have had it where each stage had two songs available, but you could pick what two songs were available to switch from. Idk if that would have helped at all but damn :\

I just want to make sure the right version of Dark Pit's theme plays when I'm electroshocking fools
Ha, I just noticed your avatar. Awesome to see a Dark Pit enthusiast. :)

So what's the final word on how he's different from Pit, anyways?

That's awfully specific, but okay.

RHln4x5.jpg

Are you taking image requests? Can I see an image with the red, white, and blue Sheik, Mario, and Little Mac colors, along with Olimar in his blue and white uniform with a Red, White, and Blue Pikmin behind him on the Final Destination form of the F-Zero track?
I need some freedom.

ffdgh

Hey guys thinking about picking this game up at launch. Who's the best character thus far?

I hear the consensus on Greninja is pretty positive and many people seem to favor it at the moment. Disappointed to hear Little Mac and Megaman haven't quite panned out as well as I thought. To be fair I haven't been reading much on the game but some friend IRL don't seem to be enjoying some new characters

Greninja and zero suit samus probably. Obviously it's too soon to tell ofcourse.

Crayolan

So I was watching this video, and holy crap, Bowser Jr's model is bad. It's especially noticeable because the Clown Car looks just fine but Jr himself looks like some N64 shit.

emb

We've had a lot of hype for Bowser, Zero Suit, Duck Hunt, and Sheik mainly so far. And some glimmers of greatness from Robin, Yoshi, Sonic, Dedede, Mario, ROB, Pac-Man, Greninja, and even Ness (plus probably a ton of other characters I'm forgetting). And by all that I just mean I've seen them place well in the little mini tournaments from the past few days, or heard respected Smashers talk pretty highly of them.

Obviously it's really hard to tell anything in early impressions though. Everyone's just feeling their way through the dark, and it's kinda exciting.

So I was watching this video, and holy crap, Bowser Jr's model is bad. It's especially noticeable because the Clown Car looks just fine but Jr himself looks like some N64 shit.

That seems... really exaggerated. :p I've heard that Jr. was not quite as good as he could be visually, but screenshots don't look nearly as bad as an N64 model. From the video, I'd say that he looks low-quality GameCube model, so maybe not SUPER exaggerated. :v

Revven

Great news! Thank you

Just keep in mind that FFA/Teams in For Glory is timed 2 minutes, no stocks at all -- just like For Fun except without items and only on FD stages. :/

What made brawl's online so bad? Anyone here know why? Honestly I think that games online did incredible disservice to the game and that knocks brawl down so many points for me compare to other smash. That was supposed to be the game!

I think the dev. team never tested greater distance connections (they, after all, only released the Kyoto vs Tokyo online match on the Dojo), didn't expect people to actually try to play it much (remember Nintendo's whole mantra/belief about online at the time), and it's also possible the people they had programming the netcode had no real experience in programming good netcode that accounted for greater distances between players.

Whatever it was, it was bad netcode. Period. When your game has to set a large minimum of input lag, you know it's bad. (Brawl had a minimum of 6 frames of input lag no matter the connection between players -- you could never get the offline-like experience online on Brawl because of that).

I can't recall a single instance of bad Brawl Wi-Fi aside from launch/university connection woes.

You probably got lucky with the people you played with + got used to the default 6 (!!) frames of input delay the online had. (Yes, it's possible to get used the 6 frames of input delay and not notice/realize the difference until you play offline straight after).

Panzon

We've had a lot of hype for Bowser, Zero Suit, Duck Hun, and Sheik mainly so far. And some glimmers of greatness from Robin, Yoshi, Sonic, Dedede, Mario, ROB, Pac-Man, Greninja, and even Ness (plus probably a ton of other characters I'm forgetting). And by all that I just mean I've seen them place well in the little mini tournaments from the past few days, or heard respected Smashers talk pretty highly of them.

Obviously it's really hard to tell anything in early impressions though. Everyone's just feeling their way through the dark, and it's kinda exciting.

Sounds good. Thanks

Not sure if I should skip the 3DS version and just buy a Wii U with it when it releases

Yup, he works as an editor at GiantBomb now.
Has he been as cool as he was when he was at GameInformer?
He's the only one in the video that likes Smash and seems to be enjoying himself lol. Smash isn't for everybody though that's for sure.
Yeah, Dan is great. He always seems to enjoy his job. He tends to get pissed whenever game journalists on Twitter complain about how hard their jobs are.

Neiteio

Looks fine to me. A lot of the models are simple up close in the 3DS version, and even degrade when in motion. Someone posted a link showing the texture degradation on Link when in motion -- must've been one of the ways the 3DS version was optimized. At any rate, under normal circumstances, you're not viewing the models that close.

Are you taking image requests? Can I see an image with the red, white, and blue Sheik, Mario, and Little Mac colors, along with Olimar in his blue and white uniform with a Red, White, and Blue Pikmin behind him on the Final Destination form of the F-Zero track?
I need some freedom.

DRuCMfY.jpg

Zubz

Banned
I'm still counting on Takamaru being either the retro revival character or the bump for the Assist Trophy (hopefully Assist Trophy bump becomes a thing after Little Mac).

You mean for Smash 5, or as DLC?

And either way, the Polar Bear might lack the Eggplant now, but isn't it possible they can add it after they add the Ice Climbers back in, too? Same with a Rhythm Heaven icon for the Chorus Kids.
This is the worst part about DLC; I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but the hope's going to make the set-up last all the way until the next Smash game. Still, if Sakurai delivers, I'd be unbelievably ecstatic.

Exile20

If you want to be frustrated here's Giant Bombs quick look of Smash.

I usually love Giant Bomb but Brad and Jeff have zero interest in Smash and seem to be actively trying to not enjoy the game.

I turned it off after a few minutes. I stopped watching them a long time ago. I only wathced this one because it was about Smash but their attitude is just annoying. The only person I enjoy listening to is Vinny and that is cause he is always up for fun no matter the game. Why would I listen to a Jeff? He is an indifferent old man and just depressing and annoying.
He is the worst out of the bunch.

Kinsei

Banned
After having never played without items in 64, Melee, and Brawl, I think I may have unintentionally making the games worse. The demo is so much better with items off that I'm finding it hard to play with them now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom