• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hate the relevancy argument. Relevancy works only to the degree that it makes it more likely that Sakurai will notice that you exist, or notice your value. People will talk about retro exceptions, but why are they exceptions? Dixie Kong hadn't had a major role since DKC3, and yet she was almost in Brawl? Mewtwo and Roy were almost included in Brawl despite not being relevant to their series anymore? We've had characters from series that were released almost a decade and a half before they became playable in Smash!

Sakurai doesn't make Smash to advertise. Sure, he HAS included characters that serve to advertise, but at no point does it define who he picks. If Sakurai truly felt that relevancy was significant, we wouldn't have a new Mute City stage or a new Magicant stage. Instead, the 3DS version would have had a new Metroid stage and a new DK stage.

I just don't see why Sakurai would go back and include a second character from a retired series when he could go back and add characters from really old series (like Ice Climber, Kid Icarus, and Duck Hunt) or add characters from series that are still going strong.

I'm more annoyed that most of the victory themes are recycled from Brawl. In some cases, I don't mind, as they really can't be improved much more than they are already (Sonic, Yoshi, Fox & Falco), but then there's some in dire need of improvement, like Samus'.

Also, what the actual fuck at Megaman not getting the MM2 Stage Clear theme as his victory theme. Even Marvel Vs. Capcom 1 got that one right.

Makai

I'd say the removal of chain grabs and short hop lasers along with the new start up on down air are definite nerfs. However, as a Falco main, I feel the former two are suitable nerfs, especially that cheap chain grab. The down air change is probably due to the new ground bounce making it too good prior to the change.

Though the overhaul to a lot of his moves gets me soooo hyped. I cannot wait to get my hands on him.
It has a bunch of endlag in addtion to the startup and tiny spike hitbox, though. Wouldn't that be enough to avoid groundbounce combos? Not to mention the opponent can tech.

I just don't see why Sakurai would go back and include a second character from a retired series when he could go back and add characters from really old series (like Ice Climber, Kid Icarus, and Duck Hunt) or add characters from series that are still going strong.

Based on what we know of Sakurai's actions and views, the difference between including a retro character, a retired character, and a modern character is zilch. Sakurai's goals aren't making an ad campaign, they're about making the best game possible. Again, why did Magicant get in over Duck Hunt? Why did Mute City get in over a 3DS Mega Man stage? If Sakurai cared about whether a series was retired or not, why would he prioritize making very cool stages for dead/retired series?

Berordn

nobody told me that HFT did the icon pose

nZ09sXZ.png

this is acceptable.

ffdgh

Well Bowser and his son (and unrelated henchmen) get the electrified Mario victory theme, and Rosalina gets the Galaxy theme, so why not put some kind of Doctor Mario theme in there?

Would have been nice if peach had her theme from mario bros. Probably too long tho.

I've been hearing mixed things on Ganondorf. Is he seeming better?

Not entirely sure, but with customs and modifications, people have found that you can make him quite a bit better. It's really exciting, and honestly, I'd probably just not even try to be a tournament player, and instead play casual competitive with custom characters so that I can make them the absolute best that they can possibly be!

FSLink

Banned
As far as potential stage legality, I do like:

Neutral or Counterpick:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Brinstar (Melee)
Corneria (Melee)
Prism Tower
Arena Ferox
Wrath of the Reset Bomb
Tortimer's Island
all omega mode variants, according to Smashboards, there's about 6 different variants.

I'd personally stick Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, and Prism Tower as starters.

Also, what the actual fuck at Megaman not getting the MM2 Stage Clear theme as his victory theme. Even Marvel Vs. Capcom 1 got that one right.

Eh his victory theme in this game works well enough, especially with the victory pose where he comes in from above.

Makai

Neutral or Counterpick:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Brinstar (Melee)
Corneria (Melee)
Prism Tower
Arena Ferox
Wrath of the Reset Bomb
Tortimer's Island
all omega mode variants, according to Smashboards, there's about 6 different variants.

F-Zero is the quintessential counterpick, imo. Would be a shame to exclude it and I see no reason to.

My guess is that heavy characters are better due to the blast zones being bigger? Or is that not the only thing

Super Armor on Warlock Punch seems awesome to me or so I hear.

His Flame Choke Custom that multi hits also is supposedly really good.

In my opinion, yes, especially if custom moves are allowed. But I've seen a variety of opinions on the matter. It's pretty much universally agreed that he's not brawl-level bad though.

Not entirely sure, but with customs and modifications, people have found that you can make him quite a bit better. It's really exciting, and honestly, I'd probably just not even try to be a tournament player, and instead play casual competitive with custom characters so that I can make them the absolute best that they can possibly be!
Ah, all very cool, especially super armor.

No eggplant logo ;_; How could you sakurai? You just killed them in cold blood. First franchise removed entirely as playable. :( :( :( :(
Metal Gear as well.

nobody told me that HFT did the icon pose

[HAMAZING PIC]

this is acceptable.

5dc.png

By the way, why is everyone complaining about Lucina being in? She was one of my favorite FE:A characters
behind Tharja and Anna
, and one of the coolest female Lords in any FE game.

Her backstory is pretty much
space future female Marth
, so that's like the best thing ever.

Neutral or Counterpick:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Brinstar (Melee)
Corneria (Melee)
Prism Tower
Arena Ferox
Wrath of the Reset Bomb
Tortimer's Island

Eh his victory theme in this game works well enough, especially with the victory pose where he comes in from above.

What are the Omega styles like?

emb

What does Prism Tower do crazy, if anything? Are there walk offs?

What about the Island? Food from trees or something?

Kouichi

I'm loving the new animation for Falco's side B.
One of my favorite changes from Melee to Brawl is how they added Falco's personality and style to some of his moves. Glad to see them continue this.

It has a bunch of endlag in addtion to the startup and tiny spike hitbox, though. Wouldn't that be enough to avoid groundbounce combos? Not to mention the opponent can tech.

I've seen someone use the nerfed d air to ground bounce and combo into b air to kill. Although, I do agree that the move was nerfed a little too much. At least the move is still good and viable.

Neutral or Counterpick:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Brinstar (Melee)
Corneria (Melee)
Prism Tower
Arena Ferox
Wrath of the Reset Bomb
Tortimer's Island

9 stages? yeah that sounds like it would work
I'd swap out Corneria for F-Zero though

zroid

Banned
Ness fucking sucks :/

Got facerolled by a bowser, I switched to mario and 2 stocked the guy 4 times in a row.

Ness is just bad.

Why does my main always suck in official smash games?

Ness isn't looking too good.

Can also confirm Ness feels terrible. His up air still feels okay from the few seconds I tried him, but yeah fair and yoyo attacks suck and PK Fire has lots of endlag.

I'm disappointed. Haven't been able to main Ness since 64, thought this game would be the one to deliver.

Are you serious? How could ness be any worse?

This is disconcerting. They're going to cut Lucas AND nerf Ness? What the fuck is Nintendo's problem with the Mother series?

Those people aren't even right. Not sure where you're hearing that, because it's flat out wrong.

Ness on the tournament stream now.

He's doing okay!

Ness vs the world. Looking great overall.

Omg Ness doin godlike shit

Ness looking quite powerful

I'm going to be back to maining Ness

"ness has some really solid combos this time"

Smash Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom