• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a good mobile wallpaper for this game? I want to update the one I currently have (which doesn't even contain 50% of the roster lol).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I found those pictures very interesting as you see that the playable characters is listed in order from right to left. Jigglypuff wasn't there in original 12 again so I presume that she was pretty low on priority list once again.

Yeah, I can see one AT being cut and Tharja being cut.

I guess Ice Climbers might be assist trophy in Wii U version where they would summon ice peak out of blue.

The spot between Marth and Sheik is obviously for Ice Climbers.

Strange enough is that Dark Pit isn't with Lucina and Dr. Mario so I wonder if he's originally to be planned to be original character instead of being clone.

I'm going to bump my post since people were busy posting the battle comments.

Exhibit A - Ninka/Vaanrose leak

Exhibit B - Spainkiller leak

#believe

Just let you know that Vaanrose and Nnka didn't said anything about Ridley, Mewtwo, Chorus Kids and Dixie. It was someone who posted at 4chan like a day after Ninka leaked the rumor.

I actually wonder if Spainkiller's friend got the source from the same person that posted on 4chan.

Eh, I'd trade Duck Hunt as a 3DS exclusive character for Ice Climbers as a Wii U exclusive character. But I guess I'm in the minority.

Wut? That's really weird perspective you having there. I'm pretty sure there are many people that want Duck Hunt being on Wii U system, including myself.

I would too. I miss my climbers. Oh wells. I love duck hunt though.

Other one? *click on ignore button* :p

Stale move stuff only affected damage in Melee and Brawl, right? I have no idea why they decided to change it to knockback in Smash 4. It's... really obnoxious. Characters live awfully long as-is and stale moves just make them live for approximately forever.

It won't happen, but I would be ecstatic if stale moves in their entirety were removed (or made optional) through a patch.

Fiktion

Banned
Anyone talked about this yet
BxvLb5VIUAAfSnR.png:large

Undoubtedly going to be the best selling entry in the franchise.

Dr. Buni

Eh, I'd trade Duck Hunt as a 3DS exclusive character for Ice Climbers as a Wii U exclusive character. But I guess I'm in the minority.
I would be less salty about the idea of Wii U exclusive characters if Duck Hunt
and Bowser Jr
were 3DS exclusive, but ideally I want all characters in both versions.

Stale move stuff only affected damage in Melee and Brawl, right? I have no idea why they decided to change it to knockback in Smash 4. It's... really obnoxious. Characters live awfully long as-is and stale moves just make them live for approximately forever.

It won't happen, but I would be ecstatic if stale moves in their entirety were removed (or made optional) through a patch.
Stale moves in Melee were only damage. In Brawl they were damage and knockback, which is the same as in Smash 4.

JoeInky

You definitely held your own against Zero. One question, though: why were you using the back throw so often at low percents? As I understand it, Ness's back throw has low base knockback but high knockback scaling, so it's really only useful once your opponent is at higher percentages. At lower percentages, the f-throw, with its higher base knowckback, or the d-throw, with its combo potential, is a better option - or so I've always thought.

I'm curious because Ness is my secondary, but I only picked him up rather recently, so you certainly have more experience with him than me.

Yeah the Dthrow is better at lower percents but I forget that quite easily when I get nervous.

I do the opposite as well, I was playing some guy earlier and it was really close in the last stock, one BThrow would have won the game, I must have grabbed him three times and tried doing DThrow into Fair for some reason.

I choke really easily

I would be less salty about the idea of Wii U exclusive characters if Duck Hunt
and Bowser Jr
were 3DS exclusive, but ideally I want all characters in both versions.
No, that's worst case scenario haha. Nobody wants cool characters stuck on 3DS.

Ness's roll seems nowhere near as good as say Palutena's roll. I would avoid using it much.

Moves go into a nine-slot queue when you land a clean hit with them (shields don't count. Hitting stage hazards like Arena Ferox/Castle Seige's statues does. More recently used moves push older moves down and eventually out of the queue. Hitting items or other objects like DDD's Waddle Doos does.) If you land Mario's down throw, up tilt, up tilt, up air, up B combo at the beginning of the match, the queue will look like this.

1. up B
2. up air
3. up air
4. up tilt
5. up tilt
6. down throw

The more times a move is in the queue, the less damage and knockback the move will do. Being higher in the queue (used more recently) will also contribute to staling, so in that example if you use a couple nairs and fairs to push the two up tilts down to 7 and 8, it will be a little fresher. Continuously hitting jabs like Falco's and Little Mac's only count as one slot but I think jabs that do a set number will count for each hit (like Mario's and Link's will count for three if you do the full jab combo). Pummels count individually. At the extreme, if you use 9 moves in a row the move's damage will be reduced by half.

The most important bottom line implication is you want to avoid using your kill moves until you think you can kill with them, otherwise their knockback will be stale.

Actually, there is no damage scaling in this game, only knockback scaling. I'm not sure if this game also has the feature in which if the move is completely fresh (i.e., has never entered the queue), then it will do 105% of the knockback, or if you die then the queue gets reset.

georly

Other one? *click on ignore button* :p

It's not just duck hunt. I'd give up a ton of characters for them :p That's how much I miss them.

I'd give up literally everyone outside of zelda universe :p My ideal roster would be Link, Toon Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Ice climbers - cut everyone else because I dont play them.

in-depth explanation on stale moves

64/Melee: damage only (in 64 the queue is 3 hits only too, as opposed to 9 in Melee/Brawl)
Brawl/Smash 4: damage and knockback

the most annoying thing isn't even the knockback reduction, it's the freshness bonus that was introduced in Brawl (1.05x bonus on completely fresh moves)

emb

Worst case scenario for you. I don't want cool characters stuck on Wii U.
I don't care if characters are stuck in one place or the other, but the worst case scenario possible is for there to be no complete version, with exclusives on both. If there are any exclusives, I'd prefer them to be on Wii U for actual controls, but 3DS would be ok too I guess.

PKrockin

Actually, there is no damage scaling in this game, only knockback scaling. I'm not sure if this game also has the feature in which if the move is completely fresh (i.e., has never entered the queue), then it will do 105% of the knockback, or if you die then the queue gets reset.
There is definitely damage scaling. And yes, the queue is cleared upon your death. Freshness bonus is back too.

in-depth explanation on stale moves

64/Melee: damage only (in 64 the queue is 3 hits only too, as opposed to 9 in Melee/Brawl)
Brawl/Smash 4: damage and knockback

the most annoying thing isn't even the knockback reduction, it's the freshness bonus that was introduced in Brawl (1.05x bonus on completely fresh moves)

Like I said, it's only knockback in Smash 4. =P

EDIT:
There is definitely damage scaling. And yes, the queue is cleared upon your death. Freshness bonus is back too.

Huh, really? I could've sworn that it has been said that there's no damage scaling. Huh.

Man has it been casually discussed how much the title theme for this game smashes Brawl's into a wall? Just sitting at the demo character select screen bobbing my head.

Man has it been casually discussed how much the title theme for this game smashes Brawl's into a wall? Just sitting at the demo character select screen bobbing my head.

It's okay. Would be better if didn't follow Brawl's model of spamming it as many times as possible. To its credit, it's varies across the soundtrack better than Brawl's theme.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Well, that's why I said I'm in the minority. I really couldn't care less about Duck Hunt.

I know you said that but I found those kind of behaviors very selfish. You wouldn't see me wishing same thing for people's wanted characters, such like this example: "Eh, I'd trade Lucina as a 3DS exclusive character for Ice Climbers as a Wii U exclusive character. But I guess I'm in the minority." I strongly believe that people deserve to play their own characters in both versions.

I'm really glad that Sakurai is one that making the game, not Smash Fans. I can promise you that once Smash community have ability to make Smash Bros, no one would willing to agree on anything and people would be on many different pages with their opinions. The game is more likely to ended up being cesspool.

Ryce

I know Ninka/Vaanrose didn’t leak those four characters, but that 4chan blurb is taken from the massive Ninka/Vaanrose thread on Smashboards. It says the 4chan post went up before the Ninka/Vaanrose stuff went public — is that a lie?

Moonlight

Banned
This is so backwards, haha.

I really wish stale move scaling wasn't so aggressive, though. Really exacerbates the high blast zone issue and match length issue when match ends get further away from you the longer you're in it. Not a great snowball effect.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I know Ninka/Vaanrose didn’t leak those four characters, but that 4chan blurb is taken from the massive Ninka/Vaanrose thread on Smashboards. It says the 4chan post went up before the Ninka/Vaanrose stuff went public — is that a lie?

I thought it was after ninka's leak went up, right? I will double check in few minutes.

Aww, that's a shame. The dair in 64 is so fun, I wish they didn't try so hard to murder quick spikes in this game. They all seem to have a bunch of start up, that I've seen.

Ness' spike was my favorite thing in N64. He was my main but it just wasnt the same in Melee so I had to drop him due to being bummed out.

emb

It'd be great if it was like that, but backwards. Scale the damage, leave the knockback. Why would they not... ;___;

JoeM86

Still getting repeats even when I have at least 150 customs to get. Urgh, what a pain.

Still, I'm getting better at the game haha.

Not necessarily, it's becoming common for Nintendo games to have amazing launches and then not have legs of previous entries. Pokemon XY is a pretty good example.

Eh? Pokémon X & Y has shown decent legs akin to that of previous generations. It just seems different because it was worldwide launch, rather than staggered.

woodland

Undoubtedly going to be the best selling entry in the franchise.

I don't know why people bother with this? Like unless something goes horribly wrong, sales are obviously going to keep growing. The only reason Melee sales weren't better is because the GC sold like shit for a long time. This time around, the Wii U is selling like shit but there's hedging the risk of poor sales by putting it on the 3DS.

I get that it's cool to see how well it sells, but sales are obviously going to go up thanks to the repute of past entries. Not quoting you to start an argument btw, just don't understand why people bother with this.

Nah, Ice Climbers main gimmick was the chain grab without that they're pretty boring. Which is why I'm not too bothered about their exclusion.

Duck Hunt Dog, looks like a great newcomer and unique playstyle that hasn't been done before in Smash.

I can't wait to see what the meta game has in store for him later on.

15 more days.

Come on...

Let's be honest, most people here begging IC's are probably those who play them once in a blue moon then call them quits.

I rarely ever saw IC players in Brawl.

Actually, I know some people who actually do use the Ice Climbers.. Including myself. But even then, that doesn't mean people don't appreciate such a unique character as them. They were such a huge part to Smash, that nobody would have ever thought to be cut.

Not necessarily, it's becoming common for Nintendo games to have amazing launches and then not have legs of previous entries. Pokemon XY is a pretty good example.

while true for some games, the real point to make is that in the west the 3DS version will not pull beast mode sales (relative to Brawl), and if 3DS+Wii U combined can even match it (i.e. 6 million sales in the US alone)

In theory, I think stale moves are good idea. Unfortunately, as it is, it does not work in practice, because it ends up punishing to much characters that don't have many reliable kill options.

I think that a less punitive (smaller queue, less reduction to knockback/damage) would be perfect. It would encourage people to think about the moves they use, but not be so damn harsh to characters with only a few kill options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom