• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Post might be pretty long, maybe too much to hold your attention, so I've tl;dr bolded to make it easier

So, is there a very good video series how-to-play which takes you from total beginner to semi-advanced techniques? I've had most of the games in the series (well, besides N64 and 3DS Smash which I'm not interested in) but I've played 10 hours tops between all 3 games and now I'm interested in becoming decent (ie having fun) with Smash WiiU but I'm finding it difficult, I really need a video guide.

Also, I won't spend the money for the GC adapter (for now) but man this is the first time I can't play a game with the gamepad, I find it impossible. Nunchuck+remote is better but no precision, my classic controller pro is better (smash attacks on the right analog stick) but still not cutting it for me, is the Pro Controller better than the CC Pro for Smash?

Last question: I find it difficult to manage all the moves/buttons quickly if I don't have up/jump and resort to using a button to jump, but on the other hand I have a lot of problems managing the finesse needed to up/Attack (uppercuts and such) unless I'm already doing a different attack before that one where I can just push the stick up without worrying the character will jump 'cause I've pushed the stick all the way up/too quickly.
So I use left stick/up to jump but I sometimes jump when not intended and have a lot of trouble doing up attacks.

•Do you guys jump with a button or with left-stick up?

•Do you use the c-stick/right analog to do smash attacks or you go with the hold-stick + attack way?

I love the idea of the game, the looks, sound, gameplay and really everything about this one, but so far I've wasted 50€ 'cause I'm not enjoying it but I know it's just a matter of learning the ropes, I'd need a mate to play the game with but that's out of the question, so you're my only hope.
Please GAF, help an amiibro smashnewb out!

I am sure there is a video series, but I don't know one. I would also like to know some advanced techniques that are needed to be good.

I use a button to jump. When I have tap jump on, I tend to waste my jumps, and it makes it harder to do up-tilt and up-air.

I use both the second analog stick and the regular way. Although I use a Pro controller, and this makes me do the regular way more often.

I started out almost from square one when I played the 3DS version. I only had ever played casually and not very good. What worked for me was just finding a character I liked (I started with Bowser, bu then I went to Yoshi) and kept playing matches with that character. I think it has worked out decently so far.

Thanks for the reply man!
Although I hoped a couple of gaffers more had chimed in to help ;) but still, I'm grateful and of course I can see how people here are waaaay past my newbieness and might have already replied to similar posts many times over, so it's understandable.

Thanks for the reply man!
Although I hoped a couple of gaffers more had chimed in to help ;) but still, I'm grateful and of course I can see how people here are waaaay past my newbieness and might have already replied to similar posts many times over, so it's understandable.

I can answer your questions if you want, I don't wanna seem like I'm too above you or anything like that. :)

lol, laggiest game since my wireless days. :O

Boney

Banned
Bulba something is definately wrong with your connection, so you should get it sorted cause the disconnects are kinda annoying. Check if for glory has the same issues.

Also, (this happened to me too) the rules setter changes between matches so items on was cause you didn't change it when it was your turn. It'll stay off if you do it once.

You guys play this one

Boney

Banned
Well that was me, was gonna omega it and missed it sorry :p

Let me know when you're willing to invest $10 to fix that problem, and we'll play sometime.
Yikes that's kinda a little over the top.
I don't have one cause they're hard to find here and it's stable enough. You could give it a try first and then see.

Boney

Banned
Any body want to play? Jorge I see you online, join me room!
I'll play with you, we're 3 in this room
Add me NNID boney64
Or have we played? Think we did once.

Jorge needs to be bodied by Tipster

Guess Jorge ran away!

Ok bulba hope you got your stuff sorted out. You up again tipster. Remember to turn items off

Bulbasaur

Banned
Bulba something is definately wrong with your connection, so you should get it sorted cause the disconnects are kinda annoying. Check if for glory has the same issues.

Also, (this happened to me too) the rules setter changes between matches so items on was cause you didn't change it when it was your turn. It'll stay off if you do it once.

You guys play this one

Tried glory no issues, I'm happy to sit out if it keeps happening though

Thanks, haha.

Boney I'll bow out so you and Bulba can play. We'll have to do some more 1v1s later! :)

Edit: At the computer now. Boney, your Samus is super good! I don't see to many people maining her, and since her projecticles tend to eat mine, I'd like to play some more sometime to better learn the matchup!

And Jorge, we haven't played since you were picking up Diddy and just started with ROB. We'll have to do some more 1v1s sometime! Your Little Mac was even better than I remembered!

AND MagiusNecros, I'll add you now so it won't be a problem next time. We still haven't played!

jorgejjvr

Thanks, haha.

Boney I'll bow out so you and Bulba can play. We'll have to do some more 1v1s later! :)

Edit: At the computer now. Boney, your Samus is super good! I don't see to many people maining her, and since her projecticles tend to eat mine, I'd like to play some more sometime to better learn the matchup!

And Jorge, we haven't played since you were picking up Diddy and just started with ROB. We'll have to do some more 1v1s sometime! Your Little Mac was even better than I remembered!

AND MagiusNecros, I'll add you now so it won't be a problem next time. We still haven't played!
Yeah man for sure need to do it again

Give me dk Romance :p

Lol wow okay. Guess that Bowser doesn't like losing. And it's not a money problems. I live with my parents. The don't want it there with Lan in my room
Also, I think you are a bitch. Look at how you try and attack me like I'm afraid because you're on wireless and your internet is ass. Get some class along with the LAN adapter, since you clearly lack both.

Well that was me, was gonna omega it and missed it sorry :p

Yikes that's kinda a little over the top.
I don't have one cause they're hard to find here and it's stable enough. You could give it a try first and then see.
I've already tried playing on his connection - see below.

Unless you aren't in the USA, I don't understand "hard to find here". Amazon.com exists, and they have adapters for ~$10.

Holy shit.

I mean, that's exactly what I did but got damn Karsticles you do not play.

I invested $12 wth man
I've played on his internet before, and it was so bad I could see a dash attack coming from half a screen away and my shield didn't pop in time. So I SDed the match and left. He tried to claim the connection was just fine. There are a ton of people to play here with good internet connections and respectful attitudes. I don't have any reason to waste time on him.

Pacman is hell. I can't beat him in neutral. I had to revenge kill with custom Ganon to win.
With Bowser or Ganondorf? What kills you?

So, is there a very good video series how-to-play which takes you from total beginner to semi-advanced techniques?

Sorry, I actually don't know about this one. I do very little reading/viewing of Smash online outside of playing it. I'm sure we could answer any questions you have though!

Button. Typically I use X with the side of my thumb. I turn jump off on the stick.
•Do you use the c-stick/right analog to do smash attacks or you go with the hold-stick + attack way?
In most cases, I use the left analog-stick to smash. I occasionally use the C-stick when I need to get a smash out super fast, or if trying to do a quick pivot or dashing up-smash. But most of the time I use the left stick. That might be somewhat uncommon though.

Boney

Banned
I don't really mind, but only costum moves are considered ok, costum attributes are not. Also there's a list of "legal" stages, I go by the ranbats one mentioned in the second post of the thread.

Costum attributes are gonna make you get used to something different so it's gonna be harder to properly learn the game later.

But you'll get better as you practice!

jorgejjvr

Also, I think you are a bitch. Look at how you try and attack me like I'm afraid because you're on wireless and your internet is ass. Get some class along with the LAN adapter, since you clearly lack both.

I've already tried playing on his connection - see below.

Unless you aren't in the USA, I don't understand "hard to find here". Amazon.com exists, and they have adapters for ~$10.

I've played on his internet before, and it was so bad I could see a dash attack coming from half a screen away and my shield didn't pop in time. So I SDed the match and left. He tried to claim the connection was just fine. There are a ton of people to play here with good internet connections and respectful attitudes. I don't have any reason to waste time on him.

With Bowser or Ganondorf? What kills you?
Wow. You're the one that needs class my man, and you were the one that was coming out rude since the beginning, I feel bad for you

Bulbasaur

Banned
I don't really mind, but only costum moves are considered ok, costum attributes are not. Also there's a list of "legal" stages, I go by the ranbats one mentioned in the second post of the thread.

Costum attributes are gonna make you get used to something different so it's gonna be harder to properly learn the game later.

But you'll get better as you practice!

I see! Thanks for your patience, clearly I have no idea hahaha

Also Pacman's UpB is stupid. Fuck that thing.
You mean as Pacman? Because his up B sucks IMO. Really easy to gimp. With Bowser, you can even dair him and use the trampoline to bounce back up (whee!).

Also, I'm curious about how your controls are set up for Bowser OoS Fortressing. I'm not happy with mine.

Post might be pretty long, maybe too much to hold your attention, so I've tl;dr bolded to make it easier

So, is there a very good video series how-to-play which takes you from total beginner to semi-advanced techniques? I've had most of the games in the series (well, besides N64 and 3DS Smash which I'm not interested in) but I've played 10 hours tops between all 3 games and now I'm interested in becoming decent (ie having fun) with Smash WiiU but I'm finding it difficult, I really need a video guide.
Not that I know of, but I wish I had time to make one.

Also, I won't spend the money for the GC adapter (for now) but man this is the first time I can't play a game with the gamepad, I find it impossible. Nunchuck+remote is better but no precision, my classic controller pro is better (smash attacks on the right analog stick) but still not cutting it for me, is the Pro Controller better than the CC Pro for Smash?
Pro Controller is pretty fantastic except:
1) Wireless adds a smidge of lag.
2) The buttons aren't across from the analog stick, which is important to me.

Otherwise, I like it more.
Button, but I'm thinking about retraining myself to do both, because it's hard to OoS Fortress. Button is 100% superior in most situations, though.

I don't C-stick my smashes. IMO, without making an extensive argument for it right now, different characters benefit from the C-stick set to different things. Who do you use?

I love the idea of the game, the looks, sound, gameplay and really everything about this one, but so far I've wasted 50€ 'cause I'm not enjoying it but I know it's just a matter of learning the ropes, I'd need a mate to play the game with but that's out of the question, so you're my only hope.
Please GAF, help an amiibro smashnewb out!
Play a set with someone here and ask for feedback. Best way to improve.

Boney

Banned
I'm not in the us karst. So yeah hard to find. I want one definately.

I see! Thanks for your patience, clearly I have no idea hahaha
No problem, we all started somewhere
You just gotta get comfortable, you need to start using tilt attacks and aerials to approach and rack up damage, so you can go for the kill easier

Top Bottom