• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
With Bowser or Ganondorf? What kills you?

Up B Trampoline becoming one with the background is a bitch.

And try as I might I just can't seem to deal with a character that generates their own items.

Using Fire Breath didn't seem to help much.

I seem to do much better with Custom Dorf.

Plus it's not a matchup I face often. So I pretty much got my ass kicked.

-----------------

My Charizard did improve somewhat. So good on that I guess.

------------------

I've been noticing laggy inputs tonight myself to where I know I could have powershielded but the input just comes too late. I use R and X. Slightly frustrating.

I'm not in the us karst. So yeah hard to find. I want one definately.

No problem, we all started somewhere
If that's your situation, then you have my sympathies.

Understand that I know nothing about this, so if I'm speaking from ignorance, my apologies: could someone from the USA order one for you and ship it? If so, I'd be willing to spend the money to help you out, if you're willing to reimburse me.

Up B Trampoline becoming one with the background is a bitch.

And try as I might I just can't seem to deal with a character that generates their own items.

Using Fire Breath didn't seem to help much.

I seem to do much better with Custom Dorf.

Plus it's not a matchup I face often. So I pretty much got my ass kicked.

-----------------

My Charizard did improve somewhat. So good on that I guess.
I think Bowser has a few unique ways to deal with items:
1) Fair grabs items and destroys them.
2) SHADC grabs items, makes you invincible, and can be canceled into a special when you land for pressure.
3) Dash attack auto-grabs items during the first half-ish of its active frames.

On a good day, I've been able to grab Anon_Tipster's Metal Blades consistently. Like I said in my post to him, Crash Bomb screws me up way more these days. It used to be the other way around, so I call that progress.

Take the time to learn how to get rid of Pacman's Fire Hydrant:
1) Fsmash takes it down immediately.
2) Until the Fire Hydrant hits the ground, any attack will deflect it. If you stand under Pacman and he tries to down B on top of you, up smash it back at him.
3) Down B destroys it, but doesn't leave you in a great spot.

There are undoubtedly more options for beating Pacman's down B, but I haven't taken the time to explore them all. Knowing how many of which attacks it takes to send it flying would be worth exploring.

As for Pacman's up B, if you Fire Breath while he tries to recover, he will usually need 2-3 bounces before he gets back on. Chase him, bair for the kill, and then recover. It's a risk worth taking. You won't always succeed, but you will give your opponent some PTSD about recovery if you do. ;-)

You sound like you're in a character crisis, mate.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Hydrant I'm fine with. Personally I want to use the Hydro Pump for a makeshift DACUS maneuver or quite simply a Dash Smash Attack. Of course a Dashing Flame Breath might be worth it.

I believe Bair can swat it away. I should test.

-----------------

Nah man. His Up B off stage is fine. It's when Pacman uses Up B to place his jump pad on the ground. No matter what you do you pretty much have to stay out of it's AoE or it puts you in jump state.

•Do you guys jump with a button or with left-stick up?

•Do you use the c-stick/right analog to do smash attacks or you go with the hold-stick + attack way?

I love the idea of the game, the looks, sound, gameplay and really everything about this one, but so far I've wasted 50€ 'cause I'm not enjoying it but I know it's just a matter of learning the ropes, I'd need a mate to play the game with but that's out of the question, so you're my only hope.
Please GAF, help an amiibro smashnewb out!

1.) I use a button, used that since Melee. Y/X or bust.

2.) c-stick most of the time, though sometimes I'll use control stick if I want the extra bit of charge. In this game I set the c-stick to tilts anyhow.

3.) If you play someone here willing to coach you, go for it. Once you understand the game, it will become much greater an experience for you. :)

Regarding Pac-Man, I don't really main the guy so I can't say much, but I will say that his hydrant is more about creating a positional advantage than anything else. Often, I notice that players will switch to knocking away the hydrant and let me charge my fruit for free since strong hits send it flying too high to hit me. Also, Trampoline is a great move for disruption since it forces your opponent to get around it to hit Pac-Man, and the bounce makes you vulnerable initially.

Hydrant I'm fine with. Personally I want to use the Hydro Pump for a makeshift DACUS maneuver or quite simply a Dash Smash Attack. Of course a Dashing Flame Breath might be worth it.

I believe Bair can swat it away. I should test.

-----------------

Nah man. His Up B off stage is fine. It's when Pacman uses Up B to place his jump pad on the ground. No matter what you do you pretty much have to stay out of it's AoE or it puts you in jump state.
Let me know if Bair works, if you test it. That would be the best option by far.

I can't say Pacman's up B on the stage bothers me, but I've never had it used aggressively against me either. I'd be curious to see that.

Boney

Banned
I'm South America karst so I'm gonna have to check between shipping and costums to get stuff done but I appreciate the offer. I'll have to pry around and see how much it would cost and then decide.

Boney you and Tipster play, all that getting my butt kicked has made me hungry.

thanks for the matches!
No problem. You and Dash Should check the JTails character video where he gives a brief overview of the characteristics of some moves and a few advanced tactics for some characters. They're on YouTube. It'll help you get a better understanding of your character moves.

Let me know if Bair works, if you test it. That would be the best option by far.

I can't say Pacman's up B on the stage bothers me, but I've never had it used aggressively against me either. I'd be curious to see that.

I'm actually curious if Shamrock incorporates it into his play. I'd like to play his Pac-Man just to see.

I only use it because that's what I see Pac-Man players do on stream, lol. It's bretty gud if you take advantage of it with fruit.

Rage Quit guy beat me up so I would rather eat my Goldfish. Maybe tomorrow night.

Wario might be my answer to everything surprisingly.

Holy shit I just saw this. I didn't beat you that bad, did I? D: I would've switched if you wanted me to, I didn't even have a custom set for Pac-Man. :(

jorgejjvr

I'm actually curious if Shamrock incorporates it into his play. I'd like to play his Pac-Man just to see.

I only use it because that's what I see Pac-Man players do on stream, lol. It's bretty gud if you take advantage of it with fruit.
Yes he does. Playing against sham it's up b heaven, ridiculously annoying, specially as Mac

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Butt kickings aside I kinda deserved those SD's on my attempts to Dair Dunk Pacman. That Side B as recovery fools me every time.

Holy shit I just saw this. I didn't beat you that bad, did I? D: I would've switched if you wanted me to, I didn't even have a custom set for Pac-Man. :(

I'm too dedicated to my heavies and well they aren't Sheik and ZSS tier.

And you didn't beat me as bad as some FG Melee Falcon's have. You'll just lose at that point. Since they hip hop and confuse you and then you get spiked.

I'm looking for bracket 4 people that I still haven't played yet :T

Alternatively I'm also looking for a 1v1 with anyone really. I need practice.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Sorry missed it! I'll try to help you in a bit.

Please do, whenever you feel like.
If you've got some good video up (or links to them) it'd be awesome since so far I haven't found what I'm looking for.

Sorry, I actually don't know about this one. I do very little reading/viewing of Smash online outside of playing it. I'm sure we could answer any questions you have though!

Well, point is that I'm such a newb that I don't have much to ask, I mean I need to learn the ropes and the game doesn't teach you how to play decently (yeah I've seen the tutorial after the intro), only the basic moves.

Also I'm terrible at coming back from falling off ring and propel to grab the edge of the platform/level with special+UP... I see people doing crazy stuff and I dunno how they're able to jump so high to regain ground, I can only do special+up and only once 'cause the character goes 'out of steam' until he puts his feet on the ground again.

Button. Typically I use X with the side of my thumb. I turn jump off on the stick.

In most cases, I use the left analog-stick to smash. I occasionally use the C-stick when I need to get a smash out super fast, or if trying to do a quick pivot or dashing up-smash. But most of the time I use the left stick. That might be somewhat uncommon though.[/QUOTE]

thanks

Not that I know of, but I wish I had time to make one.

Please do! ;)

Pro Controller is pretty fantastic except:
1) Wireless adds a smidge of lag.
2) The buttons aren't across from the analog stick, which is important to me.

What you mean by that?

Button, but I'm thinking about retraining myself to do both, because it's hard to OoS Fortress. Button is 100% superior in most situations, though.

I don't C-stick my smashes. IMO, without making an extensive argument for it right now, different characters benefit from the C-stick set to different things. Who do you use?

Cool. And I haven't picked up a character yet, tho Mario, Meta Knight and Captain Falcon are the 3 I know a bit from Brawl, I love Little Mac here. But I like almost any character besides Pikachu, Charizard and Peach.
Maybe I thought wrong, my idea was to play a bit of everyone 'cause the fundamentals are all the same, then learn the advanced techniques/try to win done matches I'd pick the character(s) I really like and concentrate on getting better with them.
Not a good plan then?

Play a set with someone here and ask for feedback. Best way to improve.

Nah, I'm too bad to do that yet. I mean, I know the feedback would be "dude, play more and then come back", and I don't mean to be able to put up a fight but just that I still don't even know the basics. But I will ask you guys in the future, hopefully ;)

1.) I use a button, used that since Melee. Y/X or bust.

2.) c-stick most of the time, though sometimes I'll use control stick if I want the extra bit of charge. In this game I set the c-stick to tilts anyhow.

3.) If you play someone here willing to coach you, go for it. Once you understand the game, it will become much greater an experience for you. :)

We'll see if I can find a coach then :)
What I'm unsure about is when will I be at a level decent enough to ask being taught, you've gotta understand that right now I'm like that guy who picks up a game for the 1st time and starts dicking around with a few characters, not really knowing what is doing... and the outcome ain't pretty XD

Thanks y'all guys, appreciated it a lot!
If a good video or two come to your attention, please post about them! or even PM me if you prefer.

Cheers :)

What you mean by that?
I like it when the controller is like this:

AB
DC

Where "A" is analog stick, "B" is buttons, "C" is C-stick, and "D" is d-pad. The Pro Controller has B and C flipped from how I like them.

Cool. And I haven't picked up a character yet, tho Mario, Meta Knight and Captain Falcon are the 3 I know a bit from Brawl, I love Little Mac here. But I like almost any character besides Pikachu, Charizard and Peach.
Maybe I thought wrong, my idea was to play a bit of everyone 'cause the fundamentals are all the same, then learn the advanced techniques/try to win done matches I'd pick the character(s) I really like and concentrate on getting better with them.
Not a good plan then?
IMO, the best way to learn is to play what energizes you.

Nah, I'm too bad to do that yet. I mean, I know the feedback would be "dude, play more and then come back", and I don't mean to be able to put up a fight but just that I still don't even know the basics. But I will ask you guys in the future, hopefully ;)

We'll see if I can find a coach then :)
What I'm unsure about is when will I be at a level decent enough to ask being taught, you've gotta understand that right now I'm like that guy who picks up a game for the 1st time and starts dicking around with a few characters, not really knowing what is doing... and the outcome ain't pretty XD

Thanks y'all guys, appreciated it a lot!
If a good video or two come to your attention, please post about them! or even PM me if you prefer.

Cheers :)
Everyone starts somewhere. Everyone here is friendly and helpful.

Vena

Uhh, we talking ZSS or powered suit Samus? Because her jab (A, A) missed the second hit all the time and I remember seeing a tip that apparently says the second hit is not worth using.

I am talking about Suit Samus, and her jab doesn't miss unless it combos into d-tilt.

If you hit close to the body, both jabs will connect, if you hit with the tip of her fist it goes into d-tilt.

DooD1234

I am talking about Suit Samus, and her jab doesn't miss unless it combos into d-tilt.

If you hit close to the body, both jabs will connect, if you hit with the tip of her fist it goes into d-tilt.
That rather specific. Why can't it function like everyone else and I also find Marth and Lucina jab to be rather weak as well.

Vena

That rather specific. Why can't it function like everyone else and I also find Marth and Lucina jab to be rather weak as well.

Samus in general functions like a Bowser filled with Kirby's in Smash Monada but with the Marth's tipper on the end of her back foot.

Top Bottom